Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   2-People Dead In Route 28 Wolfeboro/Alton Accident (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15391)

Norman Wunderlich 02-05-2013 10:48 PM

2-People Dead In Route 28 Wolfeboro/Alton Accident

Courtesy WMUR-TV Channel 9

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/2-d...z/-/index.html

Norman Wunderlich 02-05-2013 11:10 PM

On tonight's 11:00 PM newscast, Channel 9 reported that the car was driven by a lady from Tuftonboro and the truck by a man from Gilmanton, both of whom died. Still no names were released.

lawn psycho 02-05-2013 11:44 PM

Some serious damage to both vehicles. It only takes one second to cross the center line and could be any of us.

ApS 02-06-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawn psycho (Post 198598)
Some serious damage to both vehicles. It only takes one second to cross the center line and could be any of us.

More here...

These weren't teen-drivers...Officials mention a 55-MPH speed limit in the area, so it's not real close to the Wolfeboro side of the Town Line—where the crash occurred.

Where is Quarry Road? :confused:

Lakesrider 02-06-2013 08:23 AM

I can't tell you how many times I have been doing 55 or over even on that stretch, and some,,,,ummmm....person decides to pass me. Either must be going to a fire or going to start one.:rolleye2: I had just left Wolfebor heading to Gilford at about that time....Glad that wasn't me in that mess.:eek:
I feel bad for both families.....Goes to show you really need to keep your attention in your driving at all times!....Sad!

upthesaukee 02-06-2013 09:32 AM

Quarry Rd in alton

Going from Wolfeboro to Alton, after passing Robert's Cove rd the first time, the road goes downhill with a gentle left turn near the bottom. Quarry rd is the road that cuts off to the left in the vacinity of the Jedrey sand pit. It is near the start of the long straightaway where Roberts Knoll campground is located.

mcdude 02-06-2013 09:35 AM

from the Union leader

http://www.unionleader.com/storyimag...q=100&maxw=350

Rusty 02-06-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acres per Second (Post 198603)
More here...

These weren't teen-drivers...Officials mention a 55-MPH speed limit in the area, so it's not real close to the Wolfeboro side of the Town Line—where the crash occurred.

Where is Quarry Road? :confused:

Try this: Where is Quarry Rd?

tis 02-06-2013 10:36 AM

I am so sad for our customer and friend whose wife and dogs were killed in this accident.

Merrymeeting 02-06-2013 10:52 AM

My wife left our house, heading south on 28, at about 4:30, with our 2 dogs in the car. After hearing the initial reports last evening, it was an anxious 10 minutes until she returned my call.

Condolences to all involved.

Little Bear 02-06-2013 07:25 PM

I went to high school with the husband of the lady from Tuftonboro. I had not seen him in 35 years, but ran into him in Alton back in 2011. I also met his wife at that time. God rest her soul. What a terrible tragedy.

secondcurve 02-06-2013 08:21 PM

Obviously, something distracted one of the drivers. A phone call, sending a text, etc. If not a distraction it was likely alcohol related. Unfortunately, someone was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Very sad. It can all change in a second for any of us.

wifi 02-06-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve (Post 198666)
Obviously, something distracted one of the drivers. A phone call, sending a text, etc. If not a distraction it was likely alcohol related. Unfortunately, someone was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Very sad. It can all change in a second for any of us.

True, its all very sad, but you cant assume it was texting or cell calls, or anything the main stream media is droning about. Possibly one of them had a heart attack, or maybe there was a diabetic emergency or maybe the power steering broke or maybe a tie rod end broke, or maybe....

Lets let the investigation determine and not drone about things we have not specifics on. I'm not trying to rag on a poster, just, lets not jump to conclusions and let the investigation prove it out. Yes, its all very sad.

ApS 02-07-2013 06:13 AM

Investigation?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 198611)

Thanks for the answer to my Quarry query, but for those of us on dial-up, it's too-challenging a wait. Could Google Earth provide a screenshot from a "Street View" of the southbound lane at that intersection?

A truck pulling out of Quarry Road (on the inside of the curve) could have precipitated the crash, and continued on his way—unaware...:eek2:

secondcurve 02-07-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifi (Post 198669)
True, its all very sad, but you cant assume it was texting or cell calls, or anything the main stream media is droning about. Possibly one of them had a heart attack, or maybe there was a diabetic emergency or maybe the power steering broke or maybe a tie rod end broke, or maybe....

Lets let the investigation determine and not drone about things we have not specifics on. I'm not trying to rag on a poster, just, lets not jump to conclusions and let the investigation prove it out. Yes, its all very sad.

I didn't mean to be presumptive. My apologies. Rather just a reminder to be careful as many, but certainly not all, fatal traffic accidents are caused by alcohol and increasingly distractions resulting from the use of communication devices.

Orion 02-07-2013 10:04 AM

conjecture

Maybe one driver negotiated the first curve then failed to negotiate the SECONDCURVE?

Gearhead 02-07-2013 11:01 AM

Deer?

I recall a similar accident a few years back and a few miles further down the road and it involved two cars and a DEER. One car swerved to avoid sandbagging a deer and swerved directly in the path of another car. Instinct or something. I know the road very well; I drive it every day and both my wife and I have had close calls with the deer.

I think that whatever it was, it was sudden, because if one car had simply drifted into the other lane, the oncoming car would have seen it happen (very straight, wide open view) and had at least a little time to react. I guess someday we'll have some idea, but that probably won't bring any comfort to the families involved, and certainly won't bring them back.

mcdude 02-07-2013 11:46 AM

Laconia Daily Sun
Quote:

ALTON — One of the two people who was killed in a head-on two-car accident last near the Wolfeboro line Tuesday evening had served nine years on the Gilmanton Conservation Commission.
Alton Police Chief Ryan Heath confirmed this morning that Ferenc Nagy, 50, of Gilmanton was one of the two people who died in the crash. Mary Lovasco, 54, of Mirror Lake and her two dogs also died in the crash.
Nagy, a real estate agent from Wolfeboro, was remembered yesterday by the former chair of the Conservation Commission Nancy Mitchell as an avid outdoors man and hunter who strongly supported the conservation in town.
"He had an uncanny sense of humor," Mitchell said recalling Nagy as having a brilliant mind and the ability to "think outside the box"
"He contributed so much to Gilmanton," she said, adding he was an early and ardent supporter of the Gilmanton Year Round Public Library.
"He was a really, really nice guy," Mitchell said.
Heath said the crash occurred near the center line. Nagy was headed south, toward Alton, and driving a Chevrolet pickup and Lovasco was driving a Chevrolet Impala.
Alton Police and Alton Fire and Rescue were assisted by Wolfeboro Fire and Rescue, the Gilford Police, the Department of Transportation and the Belknap County Traffic Accident Reconstruction Team.
On behalf of all the emergency personnel, Heath extended his condolences to the families and friends of the victims.

Norman Wunderlich 02-07-2013 08:49 PM

I am a new member here and don't wish to ruffle any feathers, but my original post contained two screenshots, one of each mangled vehicle. They were properly attributed to Channel 9 and constituted fair use under copyright laws. The two shots were removed from my post and replaced by the link to Channel 9's website, but not by me.
Channel 9 has moved on and so their site no longer includes any photos of the accident scene. Hence, the entire value of my original post has been ruined.
I now see member McDude has posted a screenshot from the Union Leader, a shot which in fact is essentially the same as one of the WMUR-TV photos that I posted.
I'm confused.

Belmont Resident 02-07-2013 09:43 PM

Or

One of the dogs was jumping around and distracted the driver. :cool:
Really it does no good to guess, we may never know what caused the crash, but I do believe that if a third driver had something to do with it there is no way they were unaware that it happened. I'd leave it alone and let the crash reconstructions folks figure it out.

BrownstoneNorth 02-07-2013 10:19 PM

Valid point about your photos being deleted,but your post is still fine

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Wunderlich (Post 198747)
I am a new member here and don't wish to ruffle any feathers, but my original post contained two screenshots, one of each mangled vehicle. They were properly attributed to Channel 9 and constituted fair use under copyright laws. The two shots were removed from my post and replaced by the link to Channel 9's website, but not by me.
Channel 9 has moved on and so their site no longer includes any photos of the accident scene. Hence, the entire value of my original post has been ruined.
I now see member McDude has posted a screenshot from the Union Leader, a shot which in fact is essentially the same as one of the WMUR-TV photos that I posted.
I'm confused.

Wmur still has photos of the crash on its website. On the left side of the story, there's a thumbnail with the word "More" -- click on it and you'll get to a series of large-size photos:

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/-/9...z/-/index.html

Norman Wunderlich 02-08-2013 12:36 AM

Brownstone North,
The link on your preceding post is better and more direct than the link that "whoever" left on what little remains of my original post.
Many people are mistrusting of links which makes them a poor substitute for a screenshot or two.
I still don't understand why my post was tampered with in the first place.

upthesaukee 02-08-2013 12:43 AM

Just a suggestion...

The only person who can edit your posts, beside you, would be the webmaster...I would contact Don and ask for guidance.

I seem to remember a few years back, and I do realize you are new to the forum, that he referenced something about copyright laws and photos and asked that we use links to the source...

Sorry you are upset by it, and I do suggest you contact Don...I'm sure he will give you a reasonable explanation..

It may be as simple as the photos being "horrific", as described by our Chief here in Alton.

Norman Wunderlich 02-08-2013 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 198757)
The only person who can edit your posts, beside you, would be the webmaster...I would contact Don and ask for guidance.

I seem to remember a few years back, and I do realize you are new to the forum, that he referenced something about copyright laws and photos and asked that we use links to the source...

Sorry you are upset by it, and I do suggest you contact Don...I'm sure he will give you a reasonable explanation..

It may be as simple as the photos being "horrific", as described by our Chief here in Alton.

Perhaps Don will clarify what I did wrong and what McDude did right.

Belmont Resident 02-08-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 198757)

Are you sure? :confused:
What about all the sites being hacked? :confused:
Not trying starting an argument just making a point!