Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   You can't hunt me! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24010)

steve-on-mark 11-21-2018 07:46 PM

You can't hunt me!

1 Attachment(s)
Funny how close they let you get...Attachment 14342

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Rusty 11-21-2018 08:13 PM

Especially when you have a 200x optical zoom lens. :D

steve-on-mark 11-21-2018 10:17 PM

Camera on my phone...maybe 15 or 20 feet away

Prestige Worldwide 11-23-2018 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-on-mark (Post 304676)
Funny how close they let you get...Attachment 14342

Cool pic.

Thanks for posting it !

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

steve-on-mark 11-23-2018 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Only thing they seem to fear are the cats!Attachment 14346

steve-on-mark 11-23-2018 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 304677)
Especially when you have a 200x optical zoom lens. :D

Same "camera and lens" I used to photograph these shy and elusive ducks![emoji6]Attachment 14347

kawishiwi 11-23-2018 03:46 PM

Try...

If you stand absolutely still when a deer knows where you are they often become quite curious. So curious that they may move toward you. I worked at a camp where we would try to get them so close that we could touch them. We never could but they came very close to being in range. Usually worked best on a single deer.
These were wild, not human fed, edge of wilderness deer too.

Rusty 11-23-2018 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-on-mark (Post 304711)
Same "camera and lens" I used to photograph these shy and elusive ducks![emoji6]Attachment 14347

Is that a cheez-it that you are feeding the duck?:laugh:

steve-on-mark 11-23-2018 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawishiwi (Post 304718)
If you stand absolutely still when a deer knows where you are they often become quite curious. So curious that they may move toward you. I worked at a camp where we would try to get them so close that we could touch them. We never could but they came very close to being in range. Usually worked best on a single deer.
These were wild, not human fed, edge of wilderness deer too.

I think these are the same deer who visit every year...they know there's no danger, and will come very close, even when I'm working in the yard. I talk to them, and they watch me while they graze.

steve-on-mark 11-23-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 304720)
Is that a cheez-it that you are feeding the duck?[emoji23]

Nope, just little pieces of bread...these same ducks have been coming around for years.

tis 11-23-2018 07:57 PM

Rusty, I don't think he got your joke.:laugh:

JEEPONLY 11-24-2018 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic taken with an old (no IS) Canon A520- 40-50 feet away.

fatlazyless 11-25-2018 03:14 PM

Ducks will fall in love with Cheez-its, original flavor, too, just like a Canada goose, and the goose being about three times larger than a mallard will intimidate a duck with aggressive moves like lunging and pecking with their goose beak, when they compete for a Cheez-it.

The original flavor and the hot & spicy flavor both look similar, so if you want to mess with a goose or a duck for getting too pushy, just add one or two of the hot & spicy in with the originals, and the goose/duck will get very surprised and freak out somewhat with the hot & spicy .... and fast drink up the lake water to drown the strong taste.

New Hampshire state law forbids hunting on islands, and every deer and bear knows this, so they all go hang on an island till their season is over. Come opening day, you can easily see them swimming out to their island hide out ..... they know what's happening.

steve-on-mark 11-25-2018 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 304778)
Ducks will fall in love with Cheez-its, original flavor, too, just like a Canada goose, and the goose being about three times larger than a mallard will intimidate a duck with aggressive moves like lunging and pecking with their goose beak, when they compete for a Cheez-it.

The original flavor and the hot & spicy flavor both look similar, so if you want to mess with a goose or a duck for getting too pushy, just add one or two of the hot & spicy in with the originals, and the goose/duck will get very surprised and freak out somewhat with the hot & spicy .... and fast drink up the lake water to drown the strong taste.

New Hampshire state law forbids hunting on islands, and every deer and bear knows this, so they all go hang on an island till their season is over. Come opening day, you can easily see them swimming out to their island hide out ..... they know what's happening.

These deer don't leave...there in the spring and still there when we leave in November.

fatlazyless 11-26-2018 03:39 AM

At the start of hunting season, all the deer go to Deer Island, all the bears go to Bear Island, and all the rattlesnakes go to Rattlesnake Island ..... is just the way it is ...... always has been ..... always will be .... to avoid the hunters .... and have their yearly island hoe-down.

Barney Bear 11-26-2018 07:13 AM

How About Us?

The mink go to Mink Island, and the loons go............ ? 🐻

upthesaukee 11-26-2018 07:28 AM

Loon Cove

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Bear (Post 304786)
The mink go to Mink Island, and the loons go............ ? 🐻

.......Why, to Loon Cove in Alton, there to enjoy swimming in the open water in the cove were the "bubbler" baths are located. :cool:

Dave

tis 11-26-2018 07:59 AM

And we all know the bear go to Bear Island, but what about the ducks? And we hope the geese go somewhere where they never come back. Oh and let's hope the rattlesnakes stay on Rattlesnake!

Rusty 11-26-2018 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pondguy (Post 304791)
OMG what have I done!! :emb:

It's all your fault..:laugh:

steve-on-mark 11-27-2018 05:53 AM

Ahhhh....that explains why I saw that sow and her babies at the Glendale docks...they were getting ready to swim to Pig Island!

swnoel 11-28-2018 07:21 AM

Why do the people on Long Island and Governors Island hate deer? Just wondering??

webmaster 11-28-2018 07:39 AM

This deer on Long Island let me pull up right next to it. (the picture was taken in the 90's)

tis 11-28-2018 07:54 AM

I remember that- when Long Island was over run with them. They ended up having a controlled hunt. When you drove out there, they were everywhere. They were beautiful but I guess they drove the residents crazy having no fear and eating everything in sight.

swnoel 11-29-2018 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 304832)
I remember that- when Long Island was over run with them. They ended up having a controlled hunt. When you drove out there, they were everywhere. They were beautiful but I guess they drove the residents crazy having no fear and eating everything in sight.

I remember before the hunt, taking my kids there and feeding the deer apples out the window of my car. They would run down the road chasing us. The one thing that was striking is that there was no vegetation above 5 feet! Starving wildlife will do things that others would never do.

dt5150 11-29-2018 08:46 AM

they still do hunting there every year to keep the numbers in check. long island and gov island. special permits/permission required.

SAB1 12-02-2018 05:20 PM

Quote:

Yes they did and a couple made their way into my freezer :liplick:

Top-Water 12-02-2018 05:58 PM

Quote:

.................. no fear and eating everything in sight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAB1 (Post 304964)
Yes they did and a couple made their way into my freezer :liplick:

Did you file a claim with your insurance company when the deer broke into your freezer. :emb: