Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Tales (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Early salmon (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23080)

Hillcountry 03-05-2018 04:46 PM

Early salmon

Is May 11th too late for good salmon trolling?
Seems the soonest I can get valeted is that date...was hoping to get out sooner!
At least it’s before Memorial Day!

ishoot308 03-05-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 291697)
Is May 11th too late for good salmon trolling?
Seems the soonest I can get valeted is that date...was hoping to get out sooner!
At least it’s before Memorial Day!

No, my favorite month for trolling salmon is actually late July and August!

Good luck!

Dan

Hillcountry 03-05-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 291698)
No, my favorite month for trolling salmon is actually late July and August!

Good luck!

Dan

Thanks Dan!

goutes23 03-06-2018 09:05 AM

Yeah a lot of people think salmon fishing in the summer is crap but to be honest it’s better as the salmon have to head deeper to survive. You’re basically cutting the lake in half to hunt for them. I love early morning summer fishing!

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Flyfisha 03-06-2018 09:54 AM

It’s still pretty hard to beat the excitement of trolling flies on the surface for the first few weeks after ice out! There is nothing more satisfying than to fight a spring salmon on a fly rod!

Garcia 03-06-2018 11:11 AM

Just curious for those who troll with flies in early season. Are you on the surface, using sinking line, or a down rigger? I am looking to give the fly rod a try this spring!

Hillcountry 03-06-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyfisha (Post 291723)
It’s still pretty hard to beat the excitement of trolling flies on the surface for the first few weeks after ice out! There is nothing more satisfying than to fight a spring salmon on a fly rod!

Yes, that's what I experienced years ago! Trolling streamers behind the boat and the salmon are right on top! Hopefully there will still be stragglers in mid May when I can launch my toon...no down riggers for me yet, just lead core.

Hillcountry 03-06-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia (Post 291731)
Just curious for those who troll with flies in early season. Are you on the surface, using sinking line, or a down rigger? I am looking to give the fly rod a try this spring!

Right after ice out you don't have to go too deep. A couple of colors on the lead core should be good!

SAB1 03-06-2018 04:11 PM

Ill take ice out thru May over July most any day. Much more challenging in the spring and agree with the above fishing the top water is a blast. Much easier on the fish as well if you are catch and release.

Flyfisha 03-06-2018 04:58 PM

Sinking line

Sinking fly line with tandem hook streamers are the best. Go to AJs and he will share what’s hot! Or my way is “bright day=dark fly. Dull day=bright fly”. I’ve got the best deal in the world. My wife likes to drive the boat!

SAB1 03-06-2018 08:13 PM

Ha ha I'm not sure she likes driving but she has no choice.....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Eyeboat 03-06-2018 10:20 PM

OK I'm convinced gonna hit AJs and pick up some spring salmon gear and troll the surface.

bigdog 03-07-2018 11:22 AM

When I was a 'yout', my Dad & friend trolled the surface using 'Grey Ghosts' flies, they were always a favorite, and got the job done !

Do any folks still use these today ?

Hillcountry 03-07-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 291773)
When I was a 'yout', my Dad & friend trolled the surface using 'Grey Ghosts' flies, they were always a favorite, and got the job done !

Do any folks still use these today ?

Sure do! Always a must in my book along with a few other standards like the green ghost, supervisor, Mickey Finn, Magog smelt, Barnes special...I had luck with one called the Meredith Special a couple seasons ago.
Lots of hardware these days too but years ago the Mooselook warbler was king!

Flyfisha 03-07-2018 05:02 PM

Ghost

Try a grey ghost with red beads. #4 tandem. MY FAVORITE!!
Another favorite. Winni smelt beaded