Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Restaurants that Remain a Value (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28371)

thinkxingu 10-02-2022 06:06 AM

Restaurants that Remain a Value

As I've posted in the past, The Bob House has been one of my favorite restaurants, but when we visited a few weeks ago after a bit of a gap I was surprised to see how much the prices have increased. One of my favorites, the seafood platter, is now $39, something like $10—or 30%—higher than last year. With tax and tip, that one plate alone is over $50, and with the other increases, our family's bill is way over $100 even when ordering cheaply. It's still a great place, but we just can't afford it like we once could.

Since then, we've visited three restaurants we don't typically frequent, and I was impressed to see that all have done a very good job of keeping prices low and quality high.

Please add to this list, if you can.

Jake's Seafood and Grill (Ossipee): after returning the boat to MVM yesterday, we thought we'd take a drive to Yankee Smokehouse but remembered we'd wanted to try this place but it was closed when tried the first time. $90 total bill for three included a seafood platter rivaling Pop's (not quite, but very close), sodas, clam chowder, and two desserts (that were AWESOME). Totally recommend this place if you're in the area.

Buckey's: I've written about my recent experiences on the Buckey's thread; $27 or so for a full rack of ribs that leaves ME with leftovers is pretty sweet.

Route 104 Diner: the surprise of this weekend. The turkey dinner for $14 is a steal, and everything we got (except the bread pudding) was awesome. The only problem here is that so much sounds so good and is so inexpensive that we were wayyyy overstuffed...AND had leftovers.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...5f411224b5.jpg

mcdude 10-02-2022 07:27 AM

Right up there in the category of value (quality and quantity) would be Farmer's Kitchen in Farmington. https://farmerskitchen-nh.com/

https://farmerskitchen-nh.com/files/...omefries-1.jpg

phoenix 10-02-2022 07:44 AM

Agree on Bob House. Over the summer their prices have gone up 20% on the items i usually get. With summer over we will see if they drop them

thinkxingu 10-02-2022 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix (Post 377155)
Agree on Bob House. Over the summer their prices have gone up 20% on the items i usually get. With summer over we will see if they drop them

Where have you been going instead, or are you just absorbing the increases?

tummyman 10-02-2022 09:17 AM

Village Kitchen is still a very good value. And with Seth / Anna (they have been there all along!!) the new owners, we are happy to help them sustain and grow this business. We have been the last two weekends now that they are open for dinners Thursday-Saturday.

Slickcraft 10-02-2022 10:04 AM

Johnson's in New Durham:
http://www.johnsonsseafoodandsteak.com/node/9

405 Pub & Grill:
https://www.405pubandgrill.com/

Alan

SAMIAM 10-03-2022 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tummyman (Post 377158)
Village Kitchen is still a very good value. And with Seth / Anna (they have been there all along!!) the new owners, we are happy to help them sustain and grow this business. We have been the last two weekends now that they are open for dinners Thursday-Saturday.

I think Seth is only charging $12 for his turkey dinner.Not sure what night it runs but thats a good value

BroadHopper 10-03-2022 06:36 AM

Best Value restaurants.

My take on this? Lakeside across from Walmart, T-Bones/CJ in Laconia, Village Kitchen in Moultonboro. Outstanding values for 'comfort food'.

phoenix 10-03-2022 08:10 AM

I am now gone for the winter but ate twice before i left at lemon grass. Great food at reasonable prices. And the entire meal is creative. No plain green beans

Slickcraft 10-04-2022 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 377208)
My take on this? Lakeside across from Walmart, T-Bones/CJ in Laconia, Village Kitchen in Moultonboro. Outstanding values for 'comfort food'.

Agree on the Lakeside, our go to breakfast stop (today included) and lunch on occasion. Also agree on T-Bones/CJ if you take advantage of their Paybacks. Also 25% off for Vets on Tuesday.

Alan

MeredithMan 10-04-2022 08:14 AM

Rossi's

....haven't been there in probably 2 or 3 years, but Rossi's was always very good for no-frills Italian. Not much atmosphere, but huge portions, good food, and reasonable prices.

WinnisquamZ 10-04-2022 08:38 AM

Goto value is the Union Dinner. Difficult to get that way this season due to all the construction. Never disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 10-04-2022 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 377260)
Goto value is the Union Dinner. Difficult to get that way this season due to all the construction. Never disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Absolutely agree. Unfortuneately with the condos close to completion across the street it will be very difficult to get in there in season. Great for Rose, stinks for us.

ishoot308 10-04-2022 11:17 AM

Patrick’s

We like Patrick’s a lot! Good food at a fair price and always good service! They are probably one of the busiest restaurants in the Lakes Region and have been for quite some time so they are doing something right!

Two thumbs up!

Dan

bellamaria 10-26-2022 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithMan (Post 377259)
....haven't been there in probably 2 or 3 years, but Rossi's was always very good for no-frills Italian. Not much atmosphere, but huge portions, good food, and reasonable prices.

LOVE Rossi’s in New Hampton! They are still there serving up the best classics and delicious pizza Wednesday thru Sunday starting at 4:00. And Margo is still there working her tail off, tending to her friends who come to dine.

Taz 11-07-2022 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 377152)
As I've posted in the past, The Bob House has been one of my favorite restaurants, but when we visited a few weeks ago after a bit of a gap I was surprised to see how much the prices have increased. One of my favorites, the seafood platter, is now $39, something like $10—or 30%—higher than last year. With tax and tip, that one plate alone is over $50, and with the other increases, our family's bill is way over $100 even when ordering cheaply. It's still a great place, but we just can't afford it like we once could.

Since then, we've visited three restaurants we don't typically frequent, and I was impressed to see that all have done a very good job of keeping prices low and quality high.

Please add to this list, if you can.

Jake's Seafood and Grill (Ossipee): after returning the boat to MVM yesterday, we thought we'd take a drive to Yankee Smokehouse but remembered we'd wanted to try this place but it was closed when tried the first time. $90 total bill for three included a seafood platter rivaling Pop's (not quite, but very close), sodas, clam chowder, and two desserts (that were AWESOME). Totally recommend this place if you're in the area.

Buckey's: I've written about my recent experiences on the Buckey's thread; $27 or so for a full rack of ribs that leaves ME with leftovers is pretty sweet.

Route 104 Diner: the surprise of this weekend. The turkey dinner for $14 is a steal, and everything we got (except the bread pudding) was awesome. The only problem here is that so much sounds so good and is so inexpensive that we were wayyyy overstuffed...AND had leftovers.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...5f411224b5.jpg

Jake's has always been good. Started eating there in the early 90's. Unfortunately, it's not on my way to N. Conway anymore after moving.

My go to for breakfast is Sunshine and Pa's in Meredith. Great breakfast at a good value and great service.

garysanfran 11-07-2022 07:58 PM

George's Diner...

I'm surprised to not see George's Diner in Meredith mentioned.

jbolty 11-07-2022 11:03 PM

I have not been in too long but have always like George's Sea Food in Plymouth. The opposite of fancy but always good and affordable.

Janet 11-08-2022 10:56 AM

Jake's Seafood

We also like Jake's but really really miss Jena's Lobster Quest that was on Rt 16 in Ossipee. They had the best clam chowder and fried clam bellies in the area. So sorry it closed.

mcdude 11-08-2022 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 378264)
We also like Jake's but really really miss Jena's Lobster Quest that was on Rt 16 in Ossipee. They had the best clam chowder and fried clam bellies in the area. So sorry it closed.

A new fish market has opened at that location to rave reviews. Here's the link https://www.thefishmarketmarblehead.com/ossipee

Janet 11-08-2022 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 378270)
A new fish market has opened at that location to rave reviews. Here's the link https://www.thefishmarketmarblehead.com/ossipee

Thanks for the info mcdude. Will definitely give it a try when we return next summer.

mcdude 11-09-2022 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just noticed this on line. Thought it might be of some interest to those not living on the Walmart side of the lake :):laugh:

thinkxingu 11-09-2022 06:03 PM

Scallops and bacon for $2 a pop?! I'd buy them things like candy!

thinkxingu 07-12-2023 04:44 PM

I just wanted to update this:

I visited the Bob House last week after a long hiatus because of the pricing but was pleasant surprised to find that, at least what I ordered—the seafood platter—had come back down to regular price...and it remained excellent.

Also, we visited Jake's a couple days ago, and it was awesome as well. My only complaint was that there were only two fried Oreos in the fried Oreos dessert. We're really digging Jake's.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

FlyingScot 07-12-2023 10:42 PM

Agree the VK is still great and a great value.

Please help with intel on Buckey's--we've been staying away because we need to keep the saturated fat low, and it appears they have nothing in the way of grilled fish on their online menu.

Is that correct? Thanks

thinkxingu 07-13-2023 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 385335)
Agree the VK is still great and a great value.

Please help with intel on Buckey's--we've been staying away because we need to keep the saturated fat low, and it appears they have nothing in the way of grilled fish on their online menu.

Is that correct? Thanks

That's probably correct—it's straight up bar food. It's good tasting and value bar food, though, so if you're ever able to fill the gap with ribs or tips or a solid burger, give it a go!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk