Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Stainless Prop and Sand (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22543)

thinkxingu 08-27-2017 03:14 PM

Stainless Prop and Sand

Quick question: coming into my beach today my stainless prop hit sand for a second or two before pulling my motor up--should I be concerned? I always hear SS props are unforgiving. I looked and couldn't see anything different, not even a "shinier" spot.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

ishoot308 08-27-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 284751)
Quick question: coming into my beach today my stainless prop hit sand for a second or two before pulling my motor up--should I be concerned? I always hear SS props are unforgiving. I looked and couldn't see anything different, not even a "shinier" spot.

If you looked and saw no visible damage, I wouldn't worry about it.

Have fun!

Dan

Dave R 08-27-2017 04:46 PM

no problem. SS is very forgiving of such things.

icg56 08-27-2017 06:52 PM

The drive shaft can be damaged with prop looking ok. Hope not, but just mentioning, not forgiving.

thinkxingu 08-27-2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icg56 (Post 284766)
The drive shaft can be damaged with prop looking ok. Hope not, but just mentioning, not forgiving.

How would I know? It's a Mercury outboard on the back of a tritoon, BTW.

8gv 08-27-2017 08:06 PM

One can do a fair amount of roto-tilling in sand at low power with nothing getting damaged.

If your personal paranoia is seeking a new outlet, I suggest getting the prop shaft run out measured via a dial indicator after your season is over.

I would not do so.

icg56 08-27-2017 08:09 PM

Last time my kids did this on our Four Winns it was $700 for:

"labor to pull lower unit.replace Inner propshaft, reseal, reshim, put back on boat and lake test."

They noted vibration on inspection.

thinkxingu 08-27-2017 09:45 PM

I'll be taking it out again next weekend and will pay close attention to vibration. It was really deep, soft sand (as opposed to a thin layer on top of hard pack), so I'm hoping I'm OK. Thanks, all!

Dave R 08-28-2017 06:22 AM

I assume you were at or near idle speed, if so, and there was no "BANG!" or "CLUNK-CLUNK-CLUNK", there's really nothing to worry about; especially if the engine did not stall, ut if it did stall that's not necessarily bad.

thinkxingu 08-28-2017 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 284784)
I assume you were at or near idle speed, if so, and there was no "BANG!" or "CLUNK-CLUNK-CLUNK", there's really nothing to worry about; especially if the engine did not stall, ut if it did stall that's not necessarily bad.

Yes, idle speed, and I shut down/raised the motor within a second or two of feeling it. The ground also dropped off again after the raised section--it looks like it was a higher area from others power loading onto the beach.

Joebon 08-28-2017 06:53 AM

You would notice vibration if you damaged the shaft. Also, how do you know it was the propeller that hit and not the skeg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ishoot308 08-28-2017 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 284785)
Yes, idle speed, and I shut down/raised the motor within a second or two of feeling it. The ground also dropped off again after the raised section--it looks like it was a higher area from others power loading onto the beach.

Again, from what you describe I would not worry about it in the least. As Dave said above unless you heard or felt a bad clunk or thud it is highly unlikely you did any damage.

Dan

Cobalt 25 08-28-2017 07:39 AM

I boat on Cape Cod that has a LOT of sand. I have run through sand a zillion times with no damage I wouldn't worry about it.

However, a couple of times were to the extreme and clogged the cooling system and I had to disassemble the hoses to clean them out. Not fun.

But really, unless you have vibration or your "engine overheating" alarm going off, don't worry, be happy.

thinkxingu 08-28-2017 08:46 AM

Fingers crossed, thanks everybody!