Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Wood pecker vs lo home (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22704)

dogma 10-17-2017 04:39 PM

Wood pecker vs lo home

This is such an obvious question but never thought about it until now. Heard a strange sound and discovered a wood pecker drilling a hole on outside of house. Filled hole with a screw. Anyone met this challenge?

upthesaukee 10-17-2017 04:50 PM

The woodpecker may have done you a favor by pointing out some hidden insect activity that you may want to investigate. Just a thought 🤔.

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ishoot308 10-17-2017 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogma (Post 286758)
This is such an obvious question but never thought about it until now. Heard a strange sound and discovered a wood pecker drilling a hole on outside of house. Filled hole with a screw. Anyone met this challenge?

The only reason that woodpecker bored a hole is to get at food...most likely ants or some other insect. I would pull a piece of sheathing / siding off your home where the hole was bored and see what’s going on underneath....

Good Luck!

Dan

dogma 10-17-2017 05:34 PM

Not easy to pull a log off the side of the house but I respect the suggestion to look for insects.

Hillcountry 10-17-2017 05:54 PM

They don’t necessarily peck at things that harbor food...we had one this Spring that insisted on pecking our satellite dish daily...ping-ping-ping-ping...
Usually they’re after bugs, beetles, larvae of some kind but there were none such on our dish.

Lil' Barndoor Guy 10-17-2017 06:00 PM

Have had the same problem. Woodpecker holes at the corner of my house on the rakes and eves. I've replaced siding and trim boards many times and never found any insects or evidence of prior insect infestation.
I have learned that many times it is a territorial behavior that woodpeckers perform. They make loud noises to mark their domain. It's very frustrating, lying in bed and hearing them tear apart your house!

ishoot308 10-17-2017 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogma (Post 286761)
Not easy to pull a log off the side of the house but I respect the suggestion to look for insects.

Sorry, Didn’t know it was a log home as your original post did not state that. I see where you edited to revise.

Dan

Top-Water 10-17-2017 07:12 PM

Drumming

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 286762)
They don’t necessarily peck at things that harbor food...

Correct :liplick: Although woodpeckers can sing like other birds they often communicate with each other by "Drumming" usually to claim territory or to (find / attract) a mate.

Have had lots of problems with them over the years. An inexpensive way to temporarily discourage them from visiting is to hang a reflective mylar tape or strip where they like to visit. The slightest breeze will move it around and make them uncomfortable. However it looks a little odd hanging off the side of your home. Short pieces of monofilament fishing line is also said to work.

Other suggestions
http://www.sialis.org/drumming.htm

RumGuy 10-17-2017 07:35 PM

Woody

My Wife actually wrote a story for a real estate magazine about our woodpecker incident: We initially thought bugs as well, and called an exterminator. He found nothing until he came into the house, where he broke out laughing. In the corner where the woodpecker was making his hole stood our grandfather clock----ticking away. Apparently the woodpecker hears the ticking as bugs chewing and goes after it. We moved the clock, and the bird moved on to more substantial food sources.

Biggd 10-18-2017 06:14 AM

I had this problem many years ago on a home that was completely sided in red cedar. He pecked a hole in one of my corner boards. The only thing that scared him away is I hung a couple of tin pie plates from the corner of the overhang. It was in the front of my house so it was a conversation piece every time we had company. :emb:
I had another incident on another house where a wood pecked was pecking on an aluminum gutter so it wasn't a bug issue.

dogma 10-18-2017 06:24 AM

I have enjoyed reading all of your posts. Good info. I will see if it continues. Fortunately the pecker hole is near balcony so easy to get to. I may move the Halloween scarecrow up there!