Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Boat Accident Gilford (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24629)

TiltonBB 06-30-2019 09:38 AM

Boat Accident Gilford

18 year old fell off of a pontoon boat and was struck by the boat.

From the Union Leader:

https://www.unionleader.com/news/saf...55b4c4897.html

Cal Coon 06-30-2019 10:26 AM

Why even bother to "report" on a "story" if you are going to leave more questions unanswered than answered? This seems pretty uneventful based on "the facts" given. Nothing to see here folks, just move along...

Hillcountry 06-30-2019 11:25 AM

Must have been calcoon’s boat? :D
Honestly though, why berate someone for posting something lake related that someone may have benefited from?

ishoot308 06-30-2019 11:31 AM

Glendale

I heard this morning that this accident happened at the Glendale docks after the officers on duty had left for the day....don’t know anything else beyond that...

Edited to add: see below for accurate account of accident...

Dan

Phantom 06-30-2019 02:16 PM

This was a tragic accident in front of Lakeshore Park. There was a group of young kids (all below 18) slightly after dark riding — one was on the front of the pontoon and fell off (going between the toons) and was struck by the prop.

As of last night - he survived (barely)

This is FACT - not hear say !

Cal Coon 06-30-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 314356)
This was a tragic accident in front of Lakeshore Park. There was a group of young kids (all below 18) slightly after dark riding — one was on the front of the pontoon and fell off (going between the toons) and was struck by the prop.

As of last night - he survived (barely)

This is FACT - not hear say !

Now this is REAL reporting, assuming you are correct. Thanks. This answers a lot of the "unanswered" questions in the useless Union Leader report. Shawn K. Wickham needs to learn how to do his job. He should of either reported ALL, or most of, the important facts, or nothing at all. Thanks again Phantom, I'm hoping this kid recovers from his injuries and it was just a stupid accident with no alcohol involved. If alcohol, or other drugs, were involved, then (obviously) I still hope he recovers, but I have less sympathy for him. However, if alcohol, or other drugs were involved, I do hope that this incident is bad enough to everyone on board that vessel to get them "scared straight"... Also, FWIW, I meant no disrespect to TiltonBB for posting this report, ALL my disrespect was aimed at the useless Union Leader reporter that reported nothing in his so called "article".

Descant 06-30-2019 04:43 PM

No film at 11

Newspaper reporters and editors do not have the luxury of updating their story every 15 minutes the way we're used to with cable and radio reporting. You go with what you have at the deadline and the editor decides to print or not. In this case, it was a good decision to print since there were injuries, not just somebody falling overboard which is agreeably, not worth reporting. Can't tell you how many times I've fallen in the lake accidentally, only once worth reporting. Not so many times after age 30.

thinkxingu 06-30-2019 05:11 PM

Just a few mm from the femoral artery, from what I heard from someone connected to the incident--literally inches from death. Alcohol was involved.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Cal Coon 06-30-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 314365)
Just a few mm from the femoral artery, from what I heard from someone connected to the incident--literally inches from death. Alcohol was involved.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Usually is, just as I suspected...

Phantom 06-30-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 314365)
Just a few mm from the femoral artery, from what I heard from someone connected to the incident--literally inches from death. Alcohol was involved

Think - clearly you also have friends at Lakeshore Park - i deliberately left out the alcohol until the police sorted it all out.

They were residents of Lakeshore Park and after retrieving & bringing the boat & and injured teen to shore they were lucky enough that another resident at the Shore where they came into was a Paramedic - likely saved the boys life.

And yes — mm from the Femoral artery !!

It is QUITE unfortunate that teens need to learn in this fashion -

Also quite sad that the Union Leader publishes without a clue of the real story - sounds like a reporter simply listening to a scanner.

gillygirl 06-30-2019 07:59 PM

Teens learn from this method because their prefrontal lobe is still developing.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

The Real BigGuy 07-01-2019 06:51 AM

I hope the youngster fully recovers but, unfortunately, crap like this is usually learned behavior. I’ve seen numerous adults allowing kids to ride sitting on the bow with their legs dangling over when they are going slow. There is a saying that often rings true, “Stupidity breeds stupidity.”

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

chachee52 07-01-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 314372)
Think - clearly you also have friends at Lakeshore Park - i deliberately left out the alcohol until the police sorted it all out.

They were residents of Lakeshore Park and after retrieving & bringing the boat & and injured teen to shore they were lucky enough that another resident at the Shore where they came into was a Paramedic - likely saved the boys life.

And yes — mm from the Femoral artery !!

It is QUITE unfortunate that teens need to learn in this fashion -

Also quite sad that the Union Leader publishes without a clue of the real story - sounds like a reporter simply listening to a scanner.

You are correct on the facts of the story. Took MP a bit to realize they made it back to the docks. MP was doing a "search" of the boat Saturday the the owner of the boat. It was a pretty chaotic scene from what I was told, I didn't get up there until Saturday.
Lots of physical therapy for the kid that was struck. Hopefully the other younger people around will learn, we see a lot of stupidity out there after sunset.

strum 07-11-2019 11:02 AM

Any updates on this story?

Is the boy ok??

thinkxingu 07-11-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strum (Post 315064)
Any updates on this story?

Is the boy ok??

Boy is ok. Not sure of current legal status.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

TiltonBB 07-11-2019 04:44 PM

He is on crutches and back to work. He works for a local business located on the Weirs Channel.

ushaggerb 07-20-2019 10:22 PM

Why report on this story without the facts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal Coon (Post 314344)
Why even bother to "report" on a "story" if you are going to leave more questions unanswered than answered? This seems pretty uneventful based on "the facts" given. Nothing to see here folks, just move along...

One idea of a forum is to use the members of the forum to bring the facts to the table. In this case, that is what happened. There was more here to see. Crowdsourcing is not new.

Cal Coon 07-21-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ushaggerb (Post 315741)
One idea of a forum is to use the members of the forum to bring the facts to the table. In this case, that is what happened. There was more here to see. Crowdsourcing is not new.

Agreed. 11 days later. I would rather know what I know now, (11 days later), thanks to the people on this forum, than the "nothing" story the Union Leader reported on the 29th of June. The initial Union Leader report on the 29th was a "nothing to see here report" imho. "A boy fell off a boat and hurt his leg" is all you got from the Union Leader's initial report. Big deal. Obviously, it was a "bigger deal" now that the facts are known, 11 days later. My criticism is towards the so called "real" news outlets, whose job it is is to give you ALL the facts, but rarely tell you anything, not the members on the forum. If ALL the facts are not known immediately, then report when the facts are known. I realize that there are some stories that need to be reported immediately even when all the facts are not known, BUT, then there are the stories that can wait till all the facts are known, in which case I think this story falls under the latter. The ONLY people that NEEDED to know ALL the facts in this story immediately, were this kids family. The rest of us could have "waited" for ALL the facts.

Phantom 07-22-2019 06:17 AM

Cal --

I am not in disagreement with what you posted, but I do not understand the reference to "11 Days later" ??

Both I and thinkxingu posted the SAME day (June 30th) the actual FACTS.

Confused as to the 11 days later reference --- was their a follow on article in the Union Leader that I missed (perhaps)?

Cal Coon 07-22-2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 315808)
Cal --

I am not in disagreement with what you posted, but I do not understand the reference to "11 Days later" ??

Both I and thinkxingu posted the SAME day (June 30th) the actual FACTS.

Confused as to the 11 days later reference --- was their a follow on article in the Union Leader that I missed (perhaps)?

My bad Phantom. I stand corrected. I was looking at the date of ushaggerb's post when I said "11 days later". I never bothered to look at the dates of any of the other posts until now. Looking back at the dates now though, the fact that you and thinkxingu posted the most important details of this incident makes it even more amazing to me that the Union Leader did not report them!! You two had the "facts" the very next day!! I don't read the Union Leader, so I don't know if they ever did a "follow up". However, I do watch WMUR every day, and their reporting of this incident was just as vague as the Union Leader's initial article was about this incident, and I never heard on WMUR the facts that you two posted, and I do remember WMUR reporting this incident for a couple of days anyways, but they never "changed" the report.