Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Accident in Gilford? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23775)

Little Bear 08-28-2018 07:18 PM

Accident in Gilford?

WMUR reported a “mass casualty accident” on Rt. 11 in Gilford on their 6:00 news. The picture looked like it was by Ellacoya State Park, and they stated that the road was shut down. Anybody know what happened?

gravy boat 08-28-2018 07:45 PM

Gilford accident

Family members were coming to our camp and said Rt. 11 was closed in both directions around that time. Hope not too bad but it doesn't sound good. :(

That is a dangerous area even in the best weather - coming down from Scenic View people tend to come into the curve at Ellacoya too fast... add traffic entering from Ellacoya and LSP and it can be hazardous.

kawishiwi 08-28-2018 08:05 PM

Pickup vs SUV

Head on collision between a pickup & suv.

gravy boat 08-28-2018 08:21 PM

Accident in gilford

On Boston 25 online and video. :( That must have been the chopper we saw hovering in the area. One passed away, several injured. So horrible.

TiltonBB 08-29-2018 05:08 AM

One killed, 5 injured

From the Laconia Daily Sun:

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...ebfc1749f.html

Jeanzb1 08-29-2018 07:04 AM

Driving home last night at 8:30 on 11 West, traffic was detoured over 11A (Cherry Valley Road.) It was pitch black and many cars simply stopped not knowing where and how to go. There should have been a police officer from Alton PD directing traffic and helping those unfamiliar with the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Bigstan 08-29-2018 09:22 AM

Thats a tough area, I saw an accident two weeks ago in the same place, Cadilac vs. minivan. I see a of couple accidents every year there, right at the turnoff for Ellaycoya off of 11.

strum 08-29-2018 09:37 AM

Seems that area has had waay to many accidents and more than one fatality. Maybe a better warning system as the driving conditions change, change the speed limit, i don t know.

Tragic event. My thoughts and prayers to those involved.

chachee52 08-29-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigstan (Post 301071)
Thats a tough area, I saw an accident two weeks ago in the same place, Cadilac vs. minivan. I see a of couple accidents every year there, right at the turnoff for Ellaycoya off of 11.

I saw that accident too. That was on the rainy night right?
That's not where this accident was. This accident was right outside of LSP toward ellaycoya Barn and Grill.

Sue Doe-Nym 08-29-2018 11:55 AM

Cause apparently had nothing to do with the area but rather an incapacitated driver who had been reported to be driving in a VERY erratic manner. Will we ever learn what caused the driver's behavior?

Woodsy 08-29-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 301083)
Cause apparently had nothing to do with the area but rather an incapacitated driver who had been reported to be driving in a VERY erratic manner. Will we ever learn what caused the driver's behavior?

I am sure the Hospital drew blood on the truck driver.... the toxicology results should be made public at some point.

Its sad tragic accident at this point. I hope it doesn't come back that drugs/alcohol were factors.

Woodsy

upthesaukee 08-29-2018 01:38 PM

Union Leader

From the Union Leader this afternoon.

http://www.unionleader.com/crime/bel...llege-20180829

Dave

thinkxingu 08-29-2018 01:54 PM

Horrible, horrible story. Nothing worse than someone's poor decisions destroying others' lives.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

CUINS 08-29-2018 03:00 PM

Two+ weeks to go out and do it again. Should not be released and should be in jail awaiting trial. A young woman lost her life.

strum 08-29-2018 03:09 PM

I couldn t agree more the maximum penalties seem light as well.

Bigstan 08-29-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chachee52 (Post 301079)
I saw that accident too. That was on the rainy night right?
That's not where this accident was. This accident was right outside of LSP toward ellaycoya Barn and Grill.

Afternoon really. Rainy weekend, not really raining at the time. IT was right at the turn on/turn off at the beach / before LSP. Minivan pulled out too far on 11 and clipped the Caddy, which went right into the guardrail.

People speed there all the time, the speed drops to 35 I believe right as you start into that turn. And if you are at Ellacoya and don't know the road turning onto 11 can be tricky.

The windy road going up to Ellacoya Barn & Grille is bad as well, especially if you speed. There have been a couple fatal accidents over the years. If you've been drinking it's an accident ready to happen....

TiltonBB 08-31-2018 05:07 AM

Driver was School Teacher

From the Laconia Sun:

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...b56ae91ed.html

joey2665 08-31-2018 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 301205)

Just terrible. Taking the life of a 20 years old over an extremely bad decision. Should never happen in this day and age. They are plenty of ways to get home if you have indulged too much. Thoughts and prayers to the families. [emoji1317][emoji22]

amcmayer1978 05-08-2019 12:28 AM

Here's the latest on this story:

Belmont man charged in fatal DWI crash plans to plead guilty

Jeffrey Nadrich

MAXUM 05-08-2019 11:23 AM

It seems that the settlement has the potential to be extremely light considering there was a fatality.

Descant 05-08-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amcmayer1978 (Post 311106)

WELCOME to the Forum.

Mr. V 05-08-2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 311130)
It seems that the settlement has the potential to be extremely light considering there was a fatality.

Yes, someone died, but the drunk who killed the person didn't intend to kill, he was simply ... drunk.

What would you prefer: "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth?"

We're a civilized society.

I'm sure the judge will follow the appropriate sentencing guidelines.

The Real BigGuy 05-09-2019 06:57 AM

Mr V - Does a drunk who fires a gun down the middle of a crowded sidewalk and kills someone get the same treatment? Probably not. I have trouble seeing the difference between the two.

Major 05-09-2019 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 311148)
Yes, someone died, but the drunk who killed the person didn't intend to kill, he was simply ... drunk.

What would you prefer: "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth?"

We're a civilized society.

I'm sure the judge will follow the appropriate sentencing guidelines.

What if it were your son or daughter? I know if it was one of my boys, I would want an eye for an eye. There are two components to our criminal justice system. The first is to punish and rehabilitate criminals for the crimes they commit. The second is to provide justice to victims of criminal behavior. We focus too often on the first and not on the second.

ishoot308 05-09-2019 07:12 AM

DWI resulting in negligent homicide would be the proper charge in my opinion.... Probably get sentenced 10 years, out in 5-6 on good behavior if I had to guess. Fair??...maybe, but if it was my wife, son or daughter nothing would bring me justice...

Dan

Mr. V 05-09-2019 09:22 AM

Sentencing is always a thorny issue: the family of the victims rarely believe that enough punishment has been administered, whereas the defendant's family usually feel the sentence is too harsh.

In developing sentencing guidelines the powers that be have given us a system which is designed to be fair, to take all factors into consideration and yield a result which is likely to yield the greatest benefit to society.

I've no desire to coddle drunks, but the law draws a distinction between the culpability of someone who drives drunk and kills someone vs. a sober, premeditated murderer who kills intentionally.

The thinking probably goes something like this: "A drunk can become sober and become a good, law-abiding citizen, whereas a cold-blooded murderer will likely never become a positive asset to society."

Were my child a victim of a drunk driver I'd be devastated and howl for retribution: that would only be natural.

It is up to the judges to balance things out and make the hard calls.

jbolty 05-09-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 311164)
Sentencing is always a thorny issue: the family of the victims rarely believe that enough punishment has been administered, whereas the defendant's family usually feel the sentence is too harsh.

In developing sentencing guidelines the powers that be have given us a system which is designed to be fair, to take all factors into consideration and yield a result which is likely to yield the greatest benefit to society.

I've no desire to coddle drunks, but the law draws a distinction between the culpability of someone who drives drunk and kills someone vs. a sober, premeditated murderer who kills intentionally.

The thinking probably goes something like this: "A drunk can become sober and become a good, law-abiding citizen, whereas a cold-blooded murderer will likely never become a positive asset to society."

Were my child a victim of a drunk driver I'd be devastated and howl for retribution: that would only be natural.

The problem with that is the repeat offenders who plead guilty to a lesser charge and the prosecutors let them do it time and again because it's easier to take a deal on reckless driving than go to trial for the dui. Of course this hold true for all offenses, not just drunk driving. How many times do you see a case where some drunk wipes out a family and it turns out they have 15 prior arrests and should have been locked up for good.

jeffk 05-09-2019 06:43 PM

Quote:

I don't think being drunk should enter into the sentencing at all. I think it is a grave mistake to allow choosing to be drunk to be any type of excuse for bad actions.

Did you hit your wife?
Yes, but I was drunk.
Oh, OK we feel sorry for you so you get a lesser sentence.
NOT good.

When someone kills somebody there is always a question of intent. Was it intentional/premeditated? Was it an accident? Was it negligence?

Since it is illegal to drive under the influence, I would think that would show negligence, negligent homicide. There are sentencing guidelines for that crime. Maybe this is a first serious offence so a lesser time is justified. Maybe the weather was bad and a contributing factor so that should be considered.

The only point to deal with being drunk is as an addendum to the sentence. While incarcerated you will be required to attend alcohol addiction counseling.

ApS 05-10-2019 05:19 AM

Revoked Means What, Again?

Quote:

1) The judge at the trial of Ted Bundy sentenced him to death. He then went on to say:

Quote:

"Take care of yourself, young man. I say that to you sincerely; take care of yourself. It is an utter tragedy for this court to see such a total waste of humanity, I think, as I’ve experienced in this courtroom.

"You’re a bright young man. You’d have made a good lawyer and I would have loved to have you practice in front of me, but you went another way, partner. I don’t feel any animosity toward you. I want you to know that. Take care of yourself."
 Judge Edward Cowart[1]
2) One of the lake's infamous deadly drunkards was sentenced to one year in prison, spending nights (only) in a prison bed. :rolleye1:

3) Too often, I see sentences for drunk New Hampshire drivers with the wording "His/Her fourth conviction". :rolleye1:

4) Too often, deadly drunks have their license revoked—so they leave the courtroom—and drive themselves home. :rolleye1: