Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Electric Power Cost (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11382)

NoBozo 01-03-2011 05:27 PM

Electric Power Cost

On another thread SteveA mentions paying 17.64 cents per kWh for electricity from PSNH. I pay 9.36 cents per kWh from National Grid in Rhode Island. I'm curious what other people pay for power in say Vermont, Maine, or Mass. :look: NB

EDIT: I went back to my last electric bill and had another look. I Misread. After all the taxes, fees and surcharges are added in the rate is 16.26 cents per kWh. :)

BlackCatIslander 01-23-2011 01:45 PM

National Grid (MA) and NH Electric (NH) costs

I just finished totaling my expenses for 2010. Our lake house has electric heat and our cost last year was $0.1764/kwh. In Massachusetts National Grid charged us $0.1404/kwh.

Charlie T 01-24-2011 03:56 PM

Power Cost

Based upon the latest bills and taking the total billed amount including all tax's and other charges / kwh used

Gilford NH (PSNH) .2046/ kwh
Braintree, Ma (Beld) .1376/ kwh

tummyman 01-24-2011 05:50 PM

NH and MA power costs

Using my latest bills, following are the actual costs I am paying in NH and MA. The NH power is from NHEC and the MA is from my local municipal light dept. (not a mega sized utility but very cost competitive).

NHEC - $.15336/kwh plus amortization of the member cost ($22.35/500kwh) to give me a gross cost of $.19806/kwh. There is no prompt pay discount.

MA - $.14214/kwh plus amortization of the member charge ($3.47/500kwh) to give me a total cost of $.14908. If I prompt-pay this bill within 10 days, my cost is $.13979/kwh.

I used 500KWH to normalize the customer/member charge, as the KWH cost for this item fluctuates wildly depending on the how many KWH we are using in a given month. Using 500KWH is, in my opinion, a representative amount of electricity for a normal household in a given month.

From a long term standpoint and in my opinion, electricity needs to be the utility of choice. We should be building more nuclear plants and forcing/incentivizing people to use nuke instead of ANY fossil fuel, to preserve fossils for as long as we can for the things that absolutely cannot go to full electric and to stop all our money from exiting the US. Solar, wind, geothermal, are all terrific and should be maximized, but there is not enough volumes that we can be 100% dependent on them. Just think of the environmental and cost benefits.

Just one person opinion...we still need a realistic National Energy policy...which has been lacking for all prior administrations, Republican and Democratic. No party sides for this debate...they have all been absent in looking long term.

Lakegeezer 01-24-2011 08:40 PM

17-20 cents/KW

In M'boro with NH Electric Coop, my rates range monthly from 17 cents/KW (1154 KW) to 20 cents/KW (485 KW). There are fixed charges which make it cheaper when you use more.