Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model Rocket Launch Location(s) (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24755)

thinkxingu 07-23-2019 10:15 AM

Model Rocket Launch Location(s)

Hi! One of the things on our summer bucket list is to play with model rockets. We have a field at camp, but it's surrounded by tall trees. Anyone have suggestions for open fields, preferably in Moultonborough? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

8gv 07-23-2019 11:07 AM

Once you accept the concept of "disposable" the location matters less...
DAMHIK :D

Hillcountry 07-23-2019 11:42 AM

Check with the PD in MB
Maybe they can suggest a spot or suggest not launching if you are not sure of the rocket’s trajectory?

FlyingScot 07-23-2019 12:26 PM

High school football field.

Have fun! I was just thinking about Estes rockets this AM after reading NASA articles--awesome!

thinkxingu 07-23-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 315913)
Once you accept the concept of "disposable" the location matters less...
DAMHIK :D

As a single young man, disposable was acceptable, even fun; as a father, it's failure!

thinkxingu 07-23-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 315917)
Check with the PD in MB
Maybe they can suggest a spot or suggest not launching if you are not sure of the rocket’s trajectory?

Trajectory is up and down or up and into trees--I'm just trying to find a place with fewer trees. We're not launching two-stage shuttles into the stratosphere here.

Way Out There 2 07-24-2019 12:44 PM

Straight up and down

As a kid I built an Estes "Scout" model. It didn't have a parachute and was recovered by tumbling back down to earth once the engines ejector charge went off and shifted half way out the rocket, making it unbalanced. It worked as intended, a few times. On its final voyage, the engine did not eject, it stayed in tight. I then heard this loud whistling, it was coming straight down, FAST. It buried itself in the ground as I ran away.:(

thinkxingu 07-24-2019 01:02 PM

I'm confident that my successful retrieval rate is under 50%!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Way Out There 2 (Post 315996)
As a kid I built an Estes "Scout" model. It didn't have a parachute and was recovered by tumbling back down to earth once the engines ejector charge went off and shifted half way out the rocket, making it unbalanced. It worked as intended, a few times. On its final voyage, the engine did not eject, it stayed in tight. I then heard this loud whistling, it was coming straight down, FAST. It buried itself in the ground as I ran away.:(

iw8surf 07-24-2019 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Way Out There 2 (Post 315996)

its cool to see as a kid you unknowingly learned about thrust and gravity all in the matter of minutes on your own.. if only we empowered kids to continue thinking like that now we might have the future generations of engineers already being groomed

Way Out There 2 07-24-2019 01:17 PM

its cool to see as a kid you unknowingly learned about thrust and gravity all in the matter of minutes on your own.. if only we empowered kids to continue thinking like that now we might have the future generations of engineers already being groomed

Good point, that's my job now...

Hillcountry 07-24-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 315930)
Trajectory is up and down or up and into trees--I'm just trying to find a place with fewer trees. We're not launching two-stage shuttles into the stratosphere here.

Ya...not “rocket science” is it?