Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   SOBOS-Boating Safety App (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23697)

Marine Patrol 08-07-2018 05:28 PM

SOBOS-Boating Safety App

The NH Marine Patrol along with the US Coast Guard, National Safe Boating Council, and East Carolina University would like to bring to your attention a new boating safety app that is now available nationwide. SOBOS is an iOS and Android mobile app, providing information about normal, non-accident based recreational boaters, designed to reduce recreational boating accidents. The goal is to test the efficacy of crowdsourcing recreational boating data as an evidence-based public health approach to reducing boating accidents.

SOBOS builds a “situational awareness” boater network that enables reports such as floating debris, lake congestion, broken down boats, and more (similar to the Waze app).

This project is also designed to reduce recreational boating accidents and fatalities by examining non-accident based boater characteristics.

For more information or to ask questions about SOBOS, visit https://sobos.org

fatlazyless 08-09-2018 10:02 AM

Now Hear This: Could someone please explain in English that is easily understood, what the heck the MP is talking about?

Thanks in advance.

Seaplane Pilot 08-09-2018 10:09 AM

Sure, let's let MP track everyone going to/from Braun Bay, Naswa, West Alton, Dive, Margate or anywhere else where certain adult activities may be taking place. But the App claims "anonymity"...

No thanks!

Cal Coon 08-09-2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 299735)
Now Hear This: Could someone please explain in English that is easily understood, what the heck the MP is talking about?

Thanks in advance.

If they explained it so you could understand it, NOBODY would do it!! That's ALL you need to know. There is a word for it (propaganda), but I don't want to get in trouble for going "off topic" on a boating forum... However, Seaplane Pilot nailed it!!

FlyingScot 08-09-2018 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 299736)
Sure, let's let MP track everyone going to/from Braun Bay, Naswa, West Alton, Dive, Margate or anywhere else where certain adult activities may be taking place. But the App claims "anonymity"...

No thanks!

I agree--it seems kind of creepy to me. In English for FLL--the app tracks your boat as you move across the lake giving the authorities a map of all the participating boats and their location. Kind of like the Uber app that shows where all the cars are.

I can imagine plenty of cool apps that would help the MP, easier reporting of safety or environmental violations would be a great place to start, but I do not like this Big Brother approach.

thinkxingu 08-10-2018 05:23 AM

Propaganda is media material or information meant to persuade or manipulate politically. This is not really that, but other than English teachery semantics, we agree (for maybe the first time): unlike Waze, this would show where people congregate, as well as driving behavior rather than just patterns or momentary location, speed, etc.

Marine Patrol, do you have specific information on what data would be recorded and how it would contribute to safer boating?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal Coon (Post 299784)
If they explained it so you could understand it, NOBODY would do it!! That's ALL you need to know. There is a word for it (propaganda), but I don't want to get in trouble for going "off topic" on a boating forum... However, Seaplane Pilot nailed it!!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

ApS 08-10-2018 07:49 AM

...at the link...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 299735)
Now Hear This: Could someone please explain in English that is easily understood, what the heck the MP is talking about? Thanks in advance.

:confused: 'Can't say I've seen so many hyphenated words outside of Sociology PhDs:

Quote:

"through its evidence-based public health approach. It provides commercial, governmental, and university partners access to anonymous, non-accident-based on-water recreational boater data to study normal geospatial-temporal boating"
Active speeding and drunk boaters would make for an interesting screen on a computer, but don't expect many of those boaters will sign up. :rolleye2:

georgefelt 08-11-2018 05:55 AM

MP goal is to protect and serve. The more information they have regarding boater behavior, the more effectively and efficiently they can do their job. A lot of posters complain about bad boater behavior, but when offered a chance to help MP do their job it is suddenly a privacy issue? To get (good policing), you have to give (information) and why not do it with a smile? MP is welcome on my boat or my phone any time because I play by the rules. If you have something to hide this will not be your cup of tea, but then don’t bitch about how ineffective MP is when the bad boater misbehaves in your neck of the woods. Are you part of the problem or part of the answer? Sign me up.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

The Real BigGuy 08-11-2018 06:46 AM

Good point[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 08-11-2018 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgefelt (Post 299875)
MP goal is to protect and serve. The more information they have regarding boater behavior, the more effectively and efficiently they can do their job. A lot of posters complain about bad boater behavior, but when offered a chance to help MP do their job it is suddenly a privacy issue? To get (good policing), you have to give (information) and why not do it with a smile? MP is welcome on my boat or my phone any time because I play by the rules. If you have something to hide this will not be your cup of tea, but then don’t bitch about how ineffective MP is when the bad boater misbehaves in your neck of the woods. Are you part of the problem or part of the answer? Sign me up.

George, I'm trying to figure out how this app will prevent bad boating. It is compared to Waze, which has zero effect on driving habits (to the best of my knowledge).

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Hillcountry 08-11-2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

I don’t see this “program” as a help to anyone except maybe the app developer.
It’s the same as pushing for gun control...it only impacts law abiding, citizens as they are the ones that obey laws.
I obey boating laws but the Joe Schmoes of the lake blissfully go on their way breaking law after law (obvious ones like the 150’ and no wake) not to mention ones I don’t see.
As someone said, Joe Schmoe is not signing up for participation.
Too much gov’t control is not good and you can apply this to almost anything.
The way to curb the Joe Schmoes is to increase MP presence and hire more officers that have a desire to police the waters, ticket offenders and promote safety by doing so.
Why does an officer need a $500k boat (or whatever thy cost)? They did well for years with 18-20’ aluminum boats with minimal equipment.

Skip 08-11-2018 09:47 AM

Explanation is easily found and read....

So I dug a little deeper out of curiosity. This is clearly explained as a voluntary anonymous survey, that would take the place of older paper or phone type surveys, to study and analyze actual boating activities in a given body of water. Nothing nefarious or big brother, but a tool using modern technology to gather useful statistical information in a quicker and much less labor intensive manner. A visit to the MP’s FAQ page clearly explains the program in plain English, and its anticipated benefits in boater safety and formulating future boating regulations.

Do you think you are boating anonymously now if you are carrying your GPS enabled phone or other device?

Personally I salute the Marine Patrol for taking this innovative approach,and will gladly participate when I’m on the water.

Thanks for spreading the word NHMP!

FlyingScot 08-11-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

I think the MP is terrific, and I would gladly do whatever I could to help them patrol more effectively. I also would not object to monitoring that I believed would help deter bad behavior or get to people faster in an emergency.

But at least one of us misunderstands the app--this is a completely voluntary program. People with "something to hide", as you put it, will not sign up. So how will this help the MP when a "bad boater misbehaves"?

Skip 08-11-2018 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 299907)
I think the MP is terrific, and I would gladly do whatever I could to help them patrol more effectively. I also would not object to monitoring that I believed would help deter bad behavior or get to people faster in an emergency.

But at least one of us misunderstands the app--this is a completely voluntary program. People with "something to hide", as you put it, will not sign up. So how will this help the MP when a "bad boater misbehaves"?

Where in the FAQ or NHMP post does it claim that this voluntary program is designed to catch people “that have something to hide”? It is simply an anonymous plotting program that over a period of time will supply analysts with statistical data about overall boating traffic patterns, speeds and operation that could eventually evolve into a app, like Google maps, that gives real time traffic warnings and interactive reporting of waterborne hazards.

I hope no one needs to buy tin foil in the Lakes region this weekend, it appears it may be in short supply.....:)

FlyingScot 08-11-2018 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 299911)
Where in the FAQ or NHMP post does it claim that this voluntary program is designed to catch people “that have something to hide”? It is simply an anonymous plotting program that over a period of time will supply analysts with statistical data about overall boating traffic patterns, speeds and operation that could eventually evolve into a app, like Google maps, that gives real time traffic warnings and interactive reporting of waterborne hazards.

I hope no one needs to buy tin foil in the Lakes region this weekend, it appears it may be in short supply.....:)

Umm, I think you and I agree that it is not designed to catch people. I was only trying to refute george's assertion that the app would reduce bad behavior.

Also, no need to be insulting--tech offers us plenty of opportunity to swap away our privacy for increased convenience. My general point is that, at least for me, this particular swap is not worth it.

NHskier 08-11-2018 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 299890)
So I dug a little deeper out of curiosity. This is clearly explained as a voluntary anonymous survey, that would take the place of older paper or phone type surveys, to study and analyze actual boating activities in a given body of water. Nothing nefarious or big brother, but a tool using modern technology to gather useful statistical information in a quicker and much less labor intensive manner. A visit to the MP’s FAQ page clearly explains the program in plain English, and its anticipated benefits in boater safety and formulating future boating regulations.

The September issue of Boating Magazine has a full-page article on SOBOS, explaining it in the same manner Skip has pointed out on the MP's website. There is also more information available at SOBOS.org.

Seaplane Pilot 08-12-2018 04:38 AM

And I repeat....

“No Thanks”!

SIKSUKR 08-16-2018 07:56 AM

I totally agree SP

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 299931)
“No Thanks”!

Thats understandable as we know you have a closet full of "stuff to hide".:laugh:

Seaplane Pilot 08-16-2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 300299)
Thats understandable as we know you have a closet full of "stuff to hide".:laugh:

Damn right SS! At least if they're going to catch me, they are going to have to work for it! :D

tis 08-16-2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 300303)
Damn right SS! At least if they're going to catch me, they are going to have to work for it! :D

You are so funny, SP! Watch your back!:laugh:

ApS 08-17-2018 10:23 AM

Normal...

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 299912)
Umm, I think you and I agree that it is not designed to catch people. I was only trying to refute george's assertion that the app would reduce bad behavior.
Also, no need to be insulting--tech offers us plenty of opportunity to swap away our privacy for increased convenience. My general point is that, at least for me, this particular swap is not worth it.

Get used to it... :rolleye1:

Poor Richard 08-17-2018 10:42 AM

If you're on Facebook, this app is the least of your worries

Rich 08-20-2018 07:33 AM

I took a look at this app. It will only track each run if you allow it each time you try to use it.

Each and every track must be allowed by you, to the point of it being annoying by asking you for permission each time.

So you can probably poke a cooling vent hole or two into your tin foil hats, or just uninstall it if you feel too creeped out by it.

Google. Facebook and other unknown apps are tracking a lot more than you know, compared to this app.

Phantom 08-20-2018 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 300532)
Google. Facebook and other unknown apps are tracking a lot more than you know, compared to this app.

I have a good laugh every time someone here starts on the "Privacy" soapbox.

As Rich states -- by the mere fact that you use the internet your whereabouts, sites visited, comments made, and profiles of your habits are being made and more !

If you are that paranoid of information tracking, I would HIGHLY suggest that you NEVER use Google to search anything, Never purchase from Amazon … in fact, you should turn off your computer & phone immediately …. because the reality is -- your being tracked !

for the more progressive -- it has a positive implication as well
…..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_of_things

FlyingScot 08-20-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 300536)
I have a good laugh every time someone here starts on the "Privacy" soapbox.

As Rich states -- by the mere fact that you use the internet your whereabouts, sites visited, comments made, and profiles of your habits are being made and more !

If you are that paranoid of information tracking, I would HIGHLY suggest that you NEVER use Google to search anything, Never purchase from Amazon … in fact, you should turn off your computer & phone immediately …. because the reality is -- your being tracked !

for the more progressive -- it has a positive implication as well
…..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_of_things

As someone who expressed discomfort with the privacy issue here, I don't think you should assume that all of us on this side of the issue are paranoid and unsophisticated. I share plenty of info when I believe it's worth the trade. For example, my car knows my current location and everyplace I've driven. That's a lot of info, but I really like the car and GPS. OTOH, I do not think Facebook is worth the swap, so I don't use it.

Virtually every article on internet privacy encourages people to customize their privacy settings to suit their own preferences. Your position seems to be that since many modern technologies reveal lots of info user, that users should just give up on everything and share all. Mine is that privacy has value; people should only give it up when they get something they want in return.

Phantom 08-20-2018 11:35 AM

Totally Agree

Thus my "Privacy" settings are set where they are on my phone. Doesn't stop App's Like Waze, Google Maps, Amazon, etc. but you can dial it down a bit :)

My "having a good laugh" is about those who think you can remain totally anonymous and still utilize the internet.

ApS 08-24-2018 06:09 PM

How Did They Know?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 300532)
I took a look at this app. It will only track each run if you allow it each time you try to use it. Each and every track must be allowed by you, to the point of it being annoying by asking you for permission each time. So you can probably poke a cooling vent hole or two into your tin foil hats, or just uninstall it if you feel too creeped out by it.

I've been keeping Facebook at arm's length since day-one. :eek2:

When I clicked on an interesting web site, a Facebook pop-up asked me to sign up to Facebook citing, "Your interest in golf*, hockey*, drones*, Civil War history*, Subaru SUVs*, stamp collecting*, pythons*, and Wells Fargo banking* can be met, so consider joining us at Facebook. :eek:

*= made-up "interests" just for this post, but you get the idea. :rolleye2: