Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Emotional support animals (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25123)

Sue Doe-Nym 10-27-2019 06:01 PM

Emotional support animals

There was an interesting article on MSN concerning emotional support animals on planes, and the problems that are being caused because of the ease in getting a certificate and the lack of training received by the animals, as opposed to actual service dogs. It was interesting......but not a whole lot of earth- shattering information. It does kind of ruin it for people with real disabilities.

dpg 10-28-2019 10:55 AM

Yes ignorant people using it as an excuse to bring their animals anywhere any time. I'm not sure what it really "ruins" for legit people that have legit service dogs. "Real" ones will always be allowed most places it's simply the law and that probably won't be changed anytime soon. Those animals that are trained to the nines really rock. their awesome.

map 10-28-2019 11:01 AM

All animals are emotional support animals otherwise no one would own a pet.

Service dogs are the only animals that should be allowed. The "emotional support" designation is BS.

joey2665 10-28-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by map (Post 322009)
All animals are emotional support animals otherwise no one would own a pet.

Service dogs are the only animals that should be allowed. The "emotional support" designation is BS.

Absolutely agree it is way over done and just a way for people travel with their pets instead of leaving them home like the rest of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

BroadHopper 10-28-2019 11:54 AM

Bill introduced

in NH concerning service dog registration. You need a doctor approval to get the license. That way public places can screen for legitimate service dogs.

Hopefully it will pass. I bet it will be a **** storm like the speed limit fiasco.

8gv 10-28-2019 12:44 PM

They can make any laws they want but I'm still bringing my emotional support Galapagos Tortoise on the plane with me!

Newbiesaukee 10-28-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 322018)
in NH concerning service dog registration. You need a doctor approval to get the license. That way public places can screen for legitimate service dogs.

Hopefully it will pass. I bet it will be a **** storm like the speed limit fiasco.

I am embarrassed to say this as a retired physician, but a doctor’s note for emotional support animal may not be that hard to get.

Agree that people abusing the concept of service dog are maddening. Just to be clear, there are legitimate specially trained emotional service dogs but that is a different situation.

Newbiesaukee 10-28-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 322008)
Yes ignorant people using it as an excuse to bring their animals anywhere any time. I'm not sure what it really "ruins" for legit people that have legit service dogs. "Real" ones will always be allowed most places it's simply the law and that probably won't be changed anytime soon. Those animals that are trained to the nines really rock. their awesome.

The ignorant people can be educated...most of the fake emotional service dogs are owned by folks who know well what they are doing.

Jeanzb1 10-28-2019 12:57 PM

Wholeheartedly agree. I know a local couple who brings their yip-yap dog on the plane so they don’t have to pay the extra fee. 🤬

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 10-28-2019 01:03 PM

I'm emotional support for my dog. :D

Woodsy 10-28-2019 02:36 PM

I like to bring my emotional support Bud Light when I fly! Unfortunately its frowned upon.... so I have to hang out with their Bud Light!

I all seriousness... I have a huge problem with an untrained animal on a flight! Dogs - OK (as long as they don't poop)
Cats - OK (as long as they don't poop)

Anything else is a HARD NO!

Emotional support horse? Umm... NO! If you have that much anxiety... don't fly!

Woodsy

kawishiwi 10-28-2019 03:06 PM

In the lake?

All of my emotional support animals swim in the lake. I try to visit as often as I can to take them for a "walk".

thinkxingu 10-28-2019 03:12 PM

I met someone not long ago who had a Chihuahua as an anxiety animal. He was a firefighter who got trapped in a burning building--though he made it out, a couple friends didn't. The dog, though not an advanced/trained service animal, helps keep his PTSD/anxiety symptoms at bay.

Given that he's way braver than I'll ever be, I was glad to see he had found something to help him live his life.

My guess is that his candidness was a result of people judging whether he needed it or not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Mr. V 10-28-2019 03:14 PM

Hasbro makes the perfect solution for those too weak to face the world without their little pet buddy in their arms: the "Joy For All Companion Pet."

see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4orT5NDjn0c

Both cats and dogs are available.

Sue Doe-Nym 10-28-2019 05:55 PM

Deserving person

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 322029)
I met someone not long ago who had a Chihuahua as an anxiety animal. He was a firefighter who got trapped in a burning building--though he made it out, a couple friends didn't. The dog, though not an advanced/trained service animal, helps keep his PTSD/anxiety symptoms at bay.

Given that he's way braver than I'll ever be, I was glad to see he had found something to help him live his life.

My guess is that his candidness was a result of people judging whether he needed it or not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Your story about the fireman suffering from anxiety reinforces my original post regarding the degree to which those who “work the system” make it difficult for those who truly need and deserve support. The cheaters make many people suspicious, which is a real shame.

ApS 10-28-2019 08:04 PM

A Lesson Hard-Learned...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 322025)
I'm emotional support for my dog. :D

Most dog owners haven't learned how true your statement is.

They don't understand why their owner's furnishings get torn up in their absence, or that barking continues long after they've closed the door behind them.

It's called " separation anxiety", and their usually-stabile world is crashing down. (In terms of "dog-hours").

Biggd 10-29-2019 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 322039)
Most dog owners haven't learned how true your statement is.

They don't understand why their owner's furnishings get torn up in their absence, or that barking continues long after they've closed the door behind them.

It's called " separation anxiety", and their usually-stabile world is crashing down. (In terms of "dog-hours").

My dog whines more than my grand children. :(

MAXUM 10-29-2019 11:09 AM

May not exactly be PC but if you really NEED something for emotional support especially if suffering from PTSD should you be flying in the first place?

Last thing anyone wants is some passenger going mental at 30,000 feet. If you all think this is discriminating - think again this is a safety concern.

nhcatrider 10-31-2019 11:41 AM

I used to have a customer in one of the stores I worked in who had a service dog as she was blind. She had an id card for the dog and would gladly show it if someone asked her. She also told me that it wasn't that difficult for her to get approved for the dog, but blindness is pretty obvious in most cases. Why not have an id card for all service animals that must be shown upon request? Most people who have the animal for legitimate reasons will not have a problem showing the card.

Biggd 10-31-2019 12:35 PM

I was in T-Bones a couple months ago in the bar and a guy came in with a black Great Dane. He must be a regular because they didn't ask him if it was a service dog. The guy sat at a booth and the dog laid under the table quiet as a mouse, although a very big mouse. :D

iw8surf 10-31-2019 01:20 PM

Isn't there laws in place that limit what your even allowed to legally ask? I thought you were only allowed to ask if it is a service dog, and if so what duties the dog is tasked to do.

If not, there surely will be in the upcoming years. Looking recently at our companies disability list and almost everyone qualifies now in my opinion.

birchhaven 10-31-2019 01:36 PM

There is a lot of misinformation about Esas, pretty much because of the faa.

Esas are not service dogs and have no rights under the Ada. Planes are the only place they can go beyond any normal pet. Also a true service dog will not have paper work issued by the government.

https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet