Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Volvo Penta oil filter (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22590)

bobkatfly 09-06-2017 06:06 PM

Volvo Penta oil filter

Hi all. Trying to find which filter is on my engine. Just purchased recently so haven't snooped around it enough. I'm not at the boat or service manual otherwise no need for post but would like to purchase where I am. It's a 2012 v6 225 horse dual prop stern drive. I've been online searching and getting various results on different screw-on can types as well as replacement elements. Anyone know what OEM filter comes with this engine?

Thanks

Dave R 09-07-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkatfly (Post 285374)
Hi all. Trying to find which filter is on my engine. Just purchased recently so haven't snooped around it enough. I'm not at the boat or service manual otherwise no need for post but would like to purchase where I am. It's a 2012 v6 225 horse dual prop stern drive. I've been online searching and getting various results on different screw-on can types as well as replacement elements. Anyone know what OEM filter comes with this engine?

Thanks

Cannot tell by the year, sorry, 2012 is right around when they changed and the boat could be equipped with either a leftover older style or the newer style engine. Need to know the engine model. It's likely a 4.3 GXi but there's a a dash after the GXi and one or two letters. Those letters will tell you the actual model. The 4.3 GXi-G (or GF) was the last model with the spin on filter part 835440, the GXi-J (or JF) and up use the newer style cartridge filter.

bobkatfly 09-07-2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 285398)
Cannot tell by the year, sorry, 2012 is right around when they changed and the boat could be equipped with either a leftover older style or the newer style engine. Need to know the engine model. It's likely a 4.3 GXi but there's a a dash after the GXi and one or two letters. Those letters will tell you the actual model. The 4.3 GXi-G (or GF) was the last model with the spin on filter part 835440, the GXi-J (or JF) and up use the newer style cartridge filter.

Great info Dave. I'll wait till Sat. to check in person.
Thanks.

bobkatfly 09-12-2017 05:09 AM

Dave, had a look this weekend and it's a dash R. So as you said it's a paper element. Do you know if a replacement o-ring normally comes with the filter?

Dave R 09-12-2017 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkatfly (Post 285633)
Dave, had a look this weekend and it's a dash R. So as you said it's a paper element. Do you know if a replacement o-ring normally comes with the filter?

They always do when you buy that style for cars and motorcycles, so it would be shocking if it did not come with a new o-ring. You can always re-use the old one if it does not. They last for years.