Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Burger King property in Laconia (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13438)

Two dobys 12-31-2011 01:33 PM

Burger King property in Laconia

Todays Laconia Sun has a story that Watermark Const wants to develop this property, with 14 docks and a retail marine store.

ishoot308 12-31-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two dobys (Post 173649)
Todays Laconia Sun has a story that Watermark Const wants to develop this property, with 14 docks and a retail marine store.

Now that would be a great idea! I hope it happens!

MAXUM 12-31-2011 07:17 PM

OK I vote for a Bass Pro Shops store. If you're gonna do it, do it right! Cabelas wouldn't be to bad either.

I do kinda miss having BK there.

bigdog 01-01-2012 08:44 AM

Burger King property in Laconia

Interesting that this should be brought up in forum post, b/c several days ago, I was sittining in McDonalds' across the street from Burger King location, having breakfast, and watching Watermark Const. digging some test holes, with a small backhoe, between BK building and building where Motor Scooter business is located.

They must have dug there for over an hour, then packed up two pickup trucks, blocked the driveway entrances, then left.

Was wondering what all this work was about, guess now I know.

Yeah, I think this would be a great location for more docks and marine store, good use of the land.

BD

SAMIAM 01-01-2012 09:20 AM

So glad to see someone going into that location. It's a great spot with a good traffic count and I hope they do well.

Kamper 01-01-2012 09:48 AM

Whatever goes in there,I hope they have coffee in the morning.

Belmont Resident 01-02-2012 04:06 PM

I agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 173684)
So glad to see someone going into that location. It's a great spot with a good traffic count and I hope they do well.

That vacant lot is a perfect example of greed backfiring on a landlord.
In this economy you can only raise rent so high before people get fed up and move on.
Glad to see it might be developed, it has been an eye sore to the area for long enough.

mcdude 01-03-2012 10:36 AM

From the Citizen

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...review-300.jpg
New plans afoot

ONCE A FAST-FOOD RESTAURANT, this building at 1218 Union Ave., which most recently was the long-time home of Burger King, may become a marine supply store and marina.

Quote:

LACONIA — Several years after the last French fry was fried there, the building that most recently housed a Burger King restaurant may be converted into a marine supply store and the new home of one of the Lakes Region’s leading marine construction contractors.
Paul Goodwin, president of Watermark Marine Systems — currently located in Gilford across from the Laconia municipal airport — filed a site plan application this week with the city’s planning department, asking for an opportunity to appear before the planning board, possibly as soon as March.
Goodwin’s proposal for the property at 1218 Union Ave., which is owned by Legacy Realty Trust of Gilford and is assessed by the city at $1.024 million, calls for adding onto the existing, 7,511-square-foot structure built in 1972 that for many years let people have a hamburger “their way” regardless of whether they came in by motor vehicle or boat.
The plan also includes building a new, two-story shop structure, 13 boat slips, a launch ramp, a pump-out facility, and a breakwater.
In addition to the planning board’s approval, the project will require state permits, said Seth Creighton, the city’s assistant planner, on Friday. Creighton added that the municipal technical review committee, comprising representatives of the police, fire, planning, public works and water departments, will meet on Jan. 4 to give a first look at the Watermark Marine project.
Assuming a favorable recommendation by the review committee, the site plan would go before the planning board which, once it accepts it as complete, would, separately, hold a public hearing on the application.
The 1.10-acre parcel has 380 feet of frontage on Paugus Bay. When it was a thriving business, there were docks for hungry boaters to tie up at from which they could then walk the short distance to the eatery.
When the restaurant closed its doors, a development group led by Paul Bordeau, a former Laconia city councilor, came forward with plans for a yacht club on the southern end of the former Burger King property. That project, known as Crowne Shores Yacht Club and comprising 52 boat slips, a gazebo and a 900-square-foot clubhouse, is still viable, said Creighton, explaining that he recently spoke with Bordeau who he said was in touch with Goodwin and concluded that their respective endeavors were complementary and could move forward without impinging on the other.

bclaker 02-16-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 173777)
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...review-300.jpg
New plans afoot

ONCE A FAST-FOOD RESTAURANT, this building at 1218 Union Ave., which most recently was the long-time home of Burger King, may become a marine supply store and marina.

Is there any new news on Pauil Goodwin's proposal?

WJT2 02-16-2012 08:50 PM

Hopefully it is a great business person such as Cynthia Makris taking this over.
It will bring people, revenue, jobs and the the product will be great.

Belmont Resident 02-17-2012 07:04 AM

Never work

Quote:

Originally Posted by WJT2 (Post 176280)
Hopefully it is a great business person such as Cynthia Makris taking this over.

I like her and the Naswa but her pricing would never work in such close proximity to the Margate beach bar and T-bones. Great bar but very expensive.

SIKSUKR 02-17-2012 11:19 AM

You know something we don't?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WJT2 (Post 176280)

This was proposed to be Watermarks new location plus some boat slips.Has that changed?

Alton Bay 02-17-2012 05:03 PM

It's definitely a Watermark project.

hilltopper 07-11-2012 10:44 AM

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...-king-property

NoRegrets 07-11-2012 11:35 AM

They were cleaning the parking lot and removing overgrowth of the bushes on the road side of the property this past weekend. It is good to see this get cleaned up! Now for the Weirs Beach Wide Open Saloon......

spider22 07-11-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 173661)
OK I vote for a Bass Pro Shops store. If you're gonna do it, do it right! Cabelas wouldn't be to bad either.

I do kinda miss having BK there.

Do you think there is enough parking for a store that size at that location? I am not sure if it is but I like the idea. A cabelas would be awesome.

AC2717 07-11-2012 12:18 PM

this is great news!

Wolfeboro_Baja 07-11-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spider22 (Post 186059)
. . . . . .A cabelas would be awesome.

You're kidding, right? Do you know how large a Cabela's store is? The one that never got built in Hooksett was projected to be 120,000+ sq ft. The site in Hooksett they turned down was 54 acres. Anyone know how large the BK site is? 4+ acres maybe? It's been a long time since I drove past there but I don't think there's enough room for a Cabela's store.

no-engine 07-12-2012 07:12 AM

Folks, Let's look at the Sun's article and photo!
I have read before multiple times that the BK property is actually TWO parcels.
Apparently the BK franchise holder leased both, never owning.
Ever notice the fence, when driving by?

It appears that all recent work has been done on the northern part, which includes the building. My observation is that this proposal is for that parcel.
My 2˘. Therefore, the Laconia section, left of the fence as from street, may not be touched, and left a visual mess.

More power to another marine service and nautical store!

spider22 07-12-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja (Post 186108)
You're kidding, right? Do you know how large a Cabela's store is? The one that never got built in Hooksett was projected to be 120,000+ sq ft. The site in Hooksett they turned down was 54 acres. Anyone know how large the BK site is? 4+ acres maybe? It's been a long time since I drove past there but I don't think there's enough room for a Cabela's store.

that was the question I asked because I did not think it would be big enough!!!!!!

no-engine 07-12-2012 07:33 AM

Far better than a store like Cabela's would be a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods Market! People are really wanting either market. Nashua for Trader Joe's and south is too far.

However, the site would not have a building and parking anywhere near large enough! A site like Lowe's or Hannaford's would be necessary.

SAMIAM 07-12-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no-engine (Post 186127)
Far better than a store like Cabela's would be a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods Market! People are really wanting either market. Nashua for Trader Joe's and south is too far.

However, the site would not have a building and parking anywhere near large enough! A site like Lowe's or Hannaford's would be necessary.

There is a new Fresh Market in Manchester which just opebned a couple of weeks ago.Lot's of quality and organic products.Fresh squeezed OJ USDA Prime meats....very pricey but hard to find other stores.

Greene's Basin Girl 07-12-2012 10:30 AM

I shop at Fresh Market during the winter when I stay in Tampa, Florida. The food is delicious. Where is it located in Manchester?

Wolfeboro_Baja 07-12-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spider22 (Post 186124)
that was the question I asked because I did not think it would be big enough!!!!!!

No problem.....I didn't know how serious you were about that idea. :)

I can't visualize 120,000 sq ft but I know it's bigger than that entire BK parcel (BOTH parcels)! :laugh:

spider22 07-12-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja (Post 186163)
No problem.....I didn't know how serious you were about that idea. :)

I can't visualize 120,000 sq ft but I know it's bigger than that entire BK parcel (BOTH parcels)! :laugh:

Serious about Cabela's going in that spot? Not at all because it is so small. Serious about a cabela's in NH being awesome? Very serious

Altonbayicefishingfool 07-12-2012 08:29 PM

I drove by today and they have started doing some light work around the yard. As far as the building goes, about 10 gallons of super and a book of matches.... Well, you get the point....

MAXUM 07-12-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spider22 (Post 186059)
Do you think there is enough parking for a store that size at that location? I am not sure if it is but I like the idea. A cabelas would be awesome.

No, but maybe an outlet store? I know wishful thinking!

I was really bummed when I found out Cabelas wasn't going into Hooksett, then got my hopes up when it sounded like Bass Pro was considering it (local town rumor) but that never happened either. The bond that originally passed to do the infrastructure upgrades was finally recinded so looks like nothing is going to happen with that property at least in the forseeable future. Sign of the times I guess.

tom-sr230 07-13-2012 05:57 AM

i think it would be great to have a west marine store in that location...or maybe have a group of area businesses buy up the parcel , put in some public docks and attract a summer crowd via boat ..i know i would go to t-bones or friendly's or mc.d's or maybe stop by h&k powersports for parts or to browse..

SIKSUKR 07-13-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 186131)
There is a new Fresh Market in Manchester which just opebned a couple of weeks ago.Lot's of quality and organic products.Fresh squeezed OJ USDA Prime meats....very pricey but hard to find other stores.

Its actually in Bedford in the redone Bedford Mall behind Outback Steakhouse.

no-engine 07-13-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl (Post 186162)
I shop at Fresh Market during the winter when I stay in Tampa, Florida. The food is delicious. Where is it located in Manchester?

Is Fresh Market the name? Ha maybe I saw one in Tampa or Sarasota?

I got to their website; unable to search by state, only by zip. I entered Concord 03301 and no result within 50 miles.

I emailed about searching by state or wider geographic area.

dt5150 07-13-2012 07:28 AM

there's also a farmer's market every thursday in downtown laconia..

SIKSUKR 07-13-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no-engine (Post 186249)
I got to their website; unable to search by state, only by zip. .

Go to the main page. At the top click on stores and a map of the US is displayed. Simply roll over the state your looking in and click on it. Locations and maps/directions are right there.

PDC4LIFE 07-13-2012 03:26 PM

Back to the main topic... I want to wish Watermark the best. It sounds like a great project and from what I have seen in the store lobby it should make the whole area much more appealing. The old Burger Kind property was an eyesore and I am looking forward to what is to come. If you keep the prices reasonable we will continue to purchase from Watermark. Best of luck...:)

barefootbay 07-13-2012 07:23 PM

Just what the lake needs " one more Marina ".

Jonas Pilot 07-13-2012 07:29 PM

They better give good service.

RLW 07-14-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDC4LIFE (Post 186305)
Back to the main topic... I want to wish Watermark the best. It sounds like a great project and from what I have seen in the store lobby it should make the whole area much more appealing. The old Burger Kind property was an eyesore and I am looking forward to what is to come. If you keep the prices reasonable we will continue to purchase from Watermark. Best of luck...:)

http://i44.tinypic.com/1499wms.gif PDC4LIFE, I just noticed that you are fairly new to the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. Nice response and I agree with your words.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2e56yqf.gif

no-engine 07-15-2012 08:26 AM

FYI:
Was by yesterday, and still no activity on the second parcel. Interesting.

chillininnh 07-15-2012 01:58 PM

My understanding is that the parcels are owned by two seperate parties and Watermark will be developing the parcel containing the old BK building only.

no-engine 07-15-2012 08:04 PM

I was at a gathering this afternoon. Someone I trust says actually three parcels. The holder of the Burger King Franchise was leasing from all three; the three could not agree on new leasing terms, as one wanted big increase, so therefore the lease did not renew at expiration! Makes sense to me.

He knows the Watermark people, saying they have purchased two parcels, with very good well-founded planning with good intentions.
Let's hope the best, and that another will do something for the third....

meredith weekender 07-15-2012 08:14 PM

DiD anyone notice that the old BK docks were put in the lake a couple of week go and then removed???? Any idea as to why in then out???

no-engine 07-15-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meredith weekender (Post 186524)
DiD anyone notice that the old BK docks were put in the lake a couple of week go and then removed???? Any idea as to why in then out???

That was mentioned by friend, and was done to maintain the State permit. Otherwise, a new permit might take long time and for more money!