Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Subway in Moultonborough (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27295)

dmjr 08-02-2021 12:37 PM

Subway in Moultonborough

Anyone know why Subway in Moultonborough is closed?

fatlazyless 08-02-2021 02:25 PM

Because their Subway bread is NOT bread, http://www.theguardian.com/world/202...d-is-not-bread
Irish court rules!

Biggd 08-02-2021 02:56 PM

They ran out of man made tuna.:D

SteveO123 08-02-2021 04:05 PM

Closed for lunch?

VitaBene 08-02-2021 04:12 PM

Sign has been up for a good few days, just closed. They have struggled with help.

TiltonBB 08-02-2021 05:46 PM

They were offering $17 per hour for help and they still couldn't find any so they closed.

garysanfran 08-03-2021 05:18 AM

When I read the title to this thread, I thought how strange underground transportation would be in Moultonborough...

garysanfran 08-03-2021 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 359897)
They were offering $17 per hour for help and they still couldn't find any so they closed.

Not one able-bodied person should be collecting Government assistance now.

There is something very rewarding about having a good work-ethic. I can't imagine spending life watching TV waiting for the mail to bring me a check.

When I was in single digit-age, I mowed lawns for $2 and saved. Today, I understand a worker under age 18 can't operate "dangerous" machinery....Like a blender in an ice cream store.

John Mercier 08-03-2021 08:11 AM

That would be dependent on location.
Moultonborough is isolated, so it has less of a labor pool.
With a small labor pool, sometime it takes more than money.

Management is going to have to be very tough on customers that are rude, and they will need to better define and target their customers.

Billy Bob 08-03-2021 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 359918)
Not one able-bodied person should be collecting Government assistance now.

There is something very rewarding about having a good work-ethic. I can't imagine spending life watching TV waiting for the mail to bring me a check.

When I was in single digit-age, I mowed lawns for $2 and saved. Today, I understand a worker under age 18 can't operate "dangerous" machinery....Like a blender in an ice cream store.

Unemployment is at 2.5 plus or minus where you are in the state. That’s close to full employment. People collecting unemployment and kids not working is not the problem . Employer’s that pay decent money have help the rest just complain and blame others and close their businesses.

fatlazyless 08-03-2021 10:04 AM

I just googled 'Subway Moultonborough NH' and the google display says it is temporarily closed in red. Is really hard for me to believe they cannot get a good new person to work hard at creating a high quality and well made sub sandwich for $17/hr when the minimum NH wage is $7.25/hr.

Is best for a sandwich business like Subway to get an attractive, flirty, and friendly WOMAN for this job because she would automatically be a business builder that attracts and keeps customers coming in the door even if she makes a totally crappy sandwich ....... ha-ha-ha ...... just kidd'n about that crappy sandwich comment. Some sandwich GIRL with attitude!

John Mercier 08-03-2021 10:07 AM

$17 is a pretty decent starting wage.

Moultonborough is extremely rural and out of the way.

So it may take more of a starting wage... and the business revenue may not support that starting wage.

Meredith Subway is also listed as temporarily closed.

SAB1 08-03-2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Bob (Post 359941)
Unemployment is at 2.5 plus or minus where you are in the state. That’s close to full employment. People collecting unemployment and kids not working is not the problem . Employer’s that pay decent money have help the rest just complain and blame others and close their businesses.

Your kidding right?

8gv 08-03-2021 05:57 PM

A business cannot pay wages that cause an operating loss.

When higher wages are paid prices must rise.

How much is one willing to pay for a Subway sub?

Some businesses have enough demand to post significant price increases to pay for higher wages and still be busy.

Some cannot do so.

I suspect that employers have been complaining about the scarcity and high cost of labor since the dawn of civilization.

In our current time, the government is serving as a staffing competitor.

My macro view is that I get to pay inflated prices, employers get extra heart burn and my grandkids get a huge tax bill.

John Mercier 08-03-2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 359971)
A business cannot pay wages that cause an operating loss.

When higher wages are paid prices must rise.

How much is one willing to pay for a Subway sub?

Some businesses have enough demand to post significant price increases to pay for higher wages and still be busy.

Some cannot do so.

I suspect that employers have been complaining about the scarcity and high cost of labor since the dawn of civilization.

In our current time, the government is serving as a staffing competitor.

My macro view is that I get to pay inflated prices, employers get extra heart burn and my grandkids get a huge tax bill.

The inflated prices due to labor isn't based on any government program. The State of NH is paying people to go back to work... we simply do not have that many unemployed in our area, Meredith and Moultonborough are considered rural with lower population, and other employment opportunities are calling.

I think that too many think that NH was going to be cheap living... SURPRISE!

Also, not a new thing for the area... just another cycle.

TheTimeTraveler 08-03-2021 07:43 PM

I suspect the franchise holder is far too exhausted to continue any further.

A lot of these restaurants and take out business have been surviving on the owners to step up to the plate and fill in wherever needed. However, filling in 12 hours a day and 7 days a week is no fun. One can do it for a month or so, but after that it's burnout time.

Additionally, it may be more feasible or profitable for an owner to work for someone else in order to obtain a full menu of benefits; i.e. days off, vacation, health benefits, etc.

John Mercier 08-03-2021 07:57 PM

I would sell one franchise (the farthest from were I lived or liked to work) at break even or as close as I could get... and shorten the hours of the other one.

icg56 08-05-2021 10:27 PM

Bring back the Bad Moose!

puremaple 01-12-2022 01:04 PM

Looks like someone is doing some work inside, any idea what's going in there??

thinkxingu 01-12-2022 02:31 PM

Please please please bring in a good sub and pizza shop. Like a Benedetti's or Veria. An $18 gets you a rockin' rocket or Italian place with a sampler or fat-boy special for $20...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sue Doe-Nym 01-12-2022 04:15 PM

I think it’s going to be an adult bookstore.

phoenix 01-12-2022 04:29 PM

is that "food for thought" Sue

sky's 01-12-2022 04:52 PM

i've herd a bakery. which is a great idea for coffee and breakfast sandwhich to go. parking has a lot to offer.

VitaBene 01-12-2022 06:22 PM

Sky is correct. But they will have a little more than a grab and go. Great owners!

puremaple 01-13-2022 07:05 AM

Ratts, no Franken Sundae...

pondguy 01-13-2022 07:13 AM

Jersey Mike's would be nice much better than Subway. :liplick:

fatlazyless 01-13-2022 08:38 AM

..... $2.49 turkey & American cheese on a roll - E M Heath's

This place ...... www.heathsmarket.com in Centre Harbor.... marks down their already-made sandwiches from $4.99 to 2.49 once they get a day old or something .... totally excellent quality, too.

Hey, as long as I'm talk'n 'bout lo-prices here ....... for $21 on Ebay, shipping included, there's a big blue box of 100-Maxwell House k-cups, house blend coffee, shipping included, that comes from Sam's Club ..... a 21-cent cup of Maxwell House ...... Good to the last drop! ..... :laugh:!

100-k pods is a lot of quality coffee cups for $21 ...... a la Sam's.

thinkxingu 01-13-2022 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pondguy (Post 366080)
Jersey Mike's would be nice much better than Subway. :liplick:

No chains!

Frankensundae would've been nice.

burgerunh 01-13-2022 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 366082)
No chains!

Frankensundae would've been nice.

OH man Frankensundae was the best! A great place to get a belly ache!

hd333 01-13-2022 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puremaple (Post 366052)
Looks like someone is doing some work inside, any idea what's going in there??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winnigirl83 01-13-2022 05:17 PM

agreed

I still have my T-Shirt from there...though I'll admit, it's a little more snug than it was when i bought it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hd333 (Post 366093)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DougNH 01-13-2022 06:13 PM

Had some good times at the bad moose...

DickR 01-13-2022 06:15 PM

Go back further, to "Porky's." I still have a badly worn and faded T-shirt from then, as my son worked the kitchen there during high school.

watrskir 01-13-2022 06:25 PM

Bring back Porky's... and I still have a shirt! and hat :_ )

thinkxingu 01-14-2022 05:49 AM

Tell me about Porky's—was it legitimately good or just quirky like the movie?!

It's way too small, but I'd love to see a Tuckaway Tavern, Benton's Sugar Shack, or some other awesome restaurant open a second place there. No chains, but a local/NH second or third. (It seems four locations is the starting threshold to mediocrity)

fatlazyless 01-14-2022 07:57 AM

So ...... what's the difference between summer and winter, July verses January to effect the local lunch offering in the greater Centre Harbor/Moultonborough, Route 25 area?

Well ..... just yesterday ..... that frig at Heath's was loaded with about 25 different prepared sandwiches, reg price 2.99 to 4.99, and it had a 1/2-priced baloney & American cheese on whole wheat marked down to $1.49, and it looked very good, with lots of baloney and cheese, and NO skimping! It was on the bottom steel rack shelf in the same exact spot as the lobster roll, from back in July ...... imagine that!

Back in July in the same exact spot on the same bottom shelf, there would have been a lobster roll selling for $24.95 ..... seriously. And now in January, there's a $1.49 baloney & cheese which actually looked so much more appealing than any lobster roll. Plus, there's mustard and mayo at your service as well. No matter how you slice up a lobster, it is still lobster ..... :eek: - yuuuuch! ...... and at $24.95 that was like totally absurd ..... but that's what actually must get SOLD, purchased and eaten in the summer by someone around here.

lakesregionguy 02-17-2022 04:15 PM

Stopped by 2/16 to ask. It will be a retail bakery and will open in approx one month....

winni83 02-17-2022 08:35 PM

I understand that Jen Clifford of Cup and Crumb fame and the owner of For Goodness Cakes in Moultonborough will be opening up a shop called The Boro in the former Subway space. A cafe and bakery. Maybe a March opening. There goes the diet for sure. Yum.

Billy Bob 02-21-2022 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winni83 (Post 367407)
I understand that Jen Clifford of Cup and Crumb fame and the owner of For Goodness Cakes in Moultonborough will be opening up a shop called The Boro in the former Subway space. A cafe and bakery. Maybe a March opening. There goes the diet for sure. Yum.

And what has become of the Cup and Crumb ? Sold ?

winni83 02-21-2022 09:01 AM

Cup and Crumb is still operating. At one point the business was for sale but there is no current listing I can find.

phoenix 02-21-2022 10:53 AM

there is some overlap with the cup and baygulls in the breakfast sandwich area but if the new bakery focuses on pies and cakes as well there is no competition. The area hasn't had a real bakery since the one on Center harbor closed many years ago

pondguy 02-21-2022 11:11 AM

I miss Anderson's Bakery.

TheProfessor 02-21-2022 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 366100)
Tell me about Porky's—

Had a very interesting history. Some tidbits might surprise some.

A lot goes on under the radar in these small rural towns.

Just ask Grace Metalious.

tis 02-22-2022 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProfessor (Post 367582)
Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 366100)
Tell me about Porky's—

Had a very interesting history. Some tidbits might surprise some.

A lot goes on under the radar in these small rural towns.

Just ask Grace Metalious.

Now, that's a tease. And Grace's story would be no deal, nothing, nada today. Agree?

puremaple 03-25-2022 12:21 PM

Cant wait to sit on that deck and pound coffee and chow on some muffins!:liplick: