Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Moring cover clean and repair? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13990)

Tired of Waiting 05-08-2012 07:23 AM

Moring cover clean and repair?

Hi folks,

I'll be up at our place over on Ossipee for three weeks very soon.

My boat mooring cover took a beating this past year and is in need of a good cleaning and seams resown. Any suggestions as to a good canvas repair place near the lakes?

Oh, the boat is moored in Freedom so something this side of the big lake would help.
Thanks

ToW

Belmont Resident 05-08-2012 07:41 AM

Ship Shape

I have had good luck with Rick & Ann at Ship Shape Marine works in Gilford.
Ann has this lifetime thread she used to re-sew canvas work I had done at Village Canvas that failed after just 2 years, where the zippers attach.
She also did a great job on a complete camper pkg. on my wife’s Chaparral.
And my wife is VERY picky about here baby. :rolleye2:
Lots of places out there, good luck.

dippasan 05-08-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting (Post 181506)
Hi folks,

I'll be up at our place over on Ossipee for three weeks very soon.

My boat mooring cover took a beating this past year and is in need of a good cleaning and seams resown. Any suggestions as to a good canvas repair place near the lakes?

Oh, the boat is moored in Freedom so something this side of the big lake would help.
Thanks

ToW

I have heard that "The Canvas Guy's" in Gilford do great work. Not "your side of the lake" but certainly an option.

wpddep 05-08-2012 11:22 AM

Tired of waiting.

I'm also in Freedom. Last year I had a cover made for my wife's pontoon boat at Wards. They did an excellent job for a very fair price. Might be worth checking with them.

Tired of Waiting 05-09-2012 07:16 AM

Thanks

Thanks all,

I'll look into the sugested places when I get to the lake.

ToW

garysanfran 05-10-2012 07:32 AM

Kimballs Design in Ashland

Did a great job on my covers.

Sammy 05-14-2012 11:32 AM

Doing it yourself

Searched the internet and have a few ideas on how to clean a dirty/mildewed mooring cover. Any tried and true methods from the forum folks?

BroadHopper 05-14-2012 12:05 PM

Dirty Mooring covers

I would use the big commercial washers at the Laundry Mart to wash my covers. I find the powdered detergent works much better than the liquid.

If you have mold/mildew problems, this method does a good job removing mold and mildew, however I have yet to find a product that will safely remove the spots.

I would not dry the covers in a commercial dryer, I would hang it outside in the sun, less shrinkage.

Any protectant will do a good job to water proof the canvas.

For any repairs, Tom's Top & Trim is the best value.

See you on the lake!

Island Girl 05-14-2012 01:17 PM

Iosso Mild and Mildew Stain Remover

I used this last summer to get the mold and spots of kiddie life jackets. It took a while, but every spot came out.

I followed the directions to make a paste and apply. I did that a few times and left it wet to get it all out. ... The product did not take the color out of the fabric. I am about to try it on the cotton placemats on my table.