Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Catering (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27130)

FamilyLakeHouse 06-17-2021 09:11 PM

Catering

Long time lurker here, used to spend a lot of time up there and now am planning a family gathering in July. We would like to have it catered but are coming up from the south and haven't been to the region in many years. Google hasn't been very helpful but i know there are a lot of small restaurants and businesses which might not be easy to find so i'm asking for help from ya'll.

Who do you recommend for catering in the area? We are looking for something of good quality, not necessarily 5* but good. Also don't want to break the bank, we expect to spend a good amount of money but we aren't going to be eating on gold plates.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to hearing ideas from the locals!

Side note: If anyone has recommendations on a one day port o potty rental we are considering that as well if more folks RSVP than we conservatively expect.

Thanks!

Sue Doe-Nym 06-17-2021 09:53 PM

Scott Oulette of Canoe does it. Moultonborough. They supposedly do a fine job.

thinkxingu 06-18-2021 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 357220)
Scott Oulette of Canoe does it. Moultonborough. They supposedly do a fine job.

Agreed, and there's a great variety of food options, including Rubbin' Butts BBQ, which a few members have had with much success.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

TiltonBB 06-18-2021 04:55 AM

It would help you get more suggestions if you indicated what area you will be in.

If you will be on the west side: Try Dave from the 405 Pub in Laconia. I know he does a lot of catering.

Garcia 06-18-2021 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FamilyLakeHouse (Post 357219)
Long time lurker here, used to spend a lot of time up there and now am planning a family gathering in July. We would like to have it catered but are coming up from the south and haven't been to the region in many years. Google hasn't been very helpful but i know there are a lot of small restaurants and businesses which might not be easy to find so i'm asking for help from ya'll.

Who do you recommend for catering in the area? We are looking for something of good quality, not necessarily 5* but good. Also don't want to break the bank, we expect to spend a good amount of money but we aren't going to be eating on gold plates.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to hearing ideas from the locals!

Side note: If anyone has recommendations on a one day port o potty rental we are considering that as well if more folks RSVP than we conservatively expect.

Thanks!

Where are you going to be - and what are you looking for?

gillygirl 06-18-2021 06:57 AM

Catering

Annie’s Cafe and Catering in Laconia did a wedding I went to. Food was very good.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

FamilyLakeHouse 06-18-2021 06:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

We will be in Moultonborough Neck but have a family member able to drive anywhere in the region (within an hour or so) to pick up the food.

For fare we are thinking classic light summer fare. Chicken dishes, salads of different varieties, steak tips might be nice. But open to any suggestions.

TiltonBB 06-18-2021 05:21 PM

So you are looking more for take out in large quantities? If that is what you want, I am sure many restaurants would provide that. Maybe try the Village Kitchen. That is in your area.

To me, catering means they come, set up, serve, and clean up.

I know that is what Dave Henrick from the 405 does a lot of. Chafing dishes serving warm food, usually in a buffet style.

Two entirely different things.

FlyingScot 06-18-2021 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 357246)
Two entirely different things.

Also, "catering" typically 2X the price of take out dinners

LongBay 06-18-2021 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillygirl (Post 357227)
Annie’s Cafe and Catering in Laconia did a wedding I went to. Food was very good.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Been to The cafe for breakfast and lunch ... ordered their baked goods for special occasions. I agree, their food is very good.

Zeke 06-19-2021 01:32 PM

Fresh Seafood

If you do not mind a bit of a drive, Concord Beef and Seafood. Very nice selection of seafood, and excellent cuts of meat. Chicken, chops , and steak. High quality, and a bit pricey. But it is the best in reasonable driving distance

Sandy Island fan 06-21-2021 07:55 PM

Local gal

Christine Richer does wonderful food! She's in Laconia, but might make the trip to your side of the lake.

Descant 06-21-2021 08:49 PM

Level of service?

I see three levels of service.
1. Large quantity take out
2. BBQ or similar onsite cooking
3. Full "wedding", tents, waitstaff, bartenders, plated food, multi-course, tables, linens, silverware, set up, take down, etc.

All of these could be considered "catering" and infinite variations in between.

Or, you can just hire a couple of people to cook hamburgs and hot dogs and you buy potato salad and plastic forks. How many people do you plan to serve? Rain plans?
This is all very vague.

FamilyLakeHouse 06-22-2021 09:09 AM

We have a tent in the event of rain.

I suppose maybe catering wasn't the prefect title for the thread. We have about 30 people and don't want to cook so it is more like a large take out order. However a lot of restaurants have "catering" menus so that was kind of what we were thinking.

I think the biggest challenge is not having been in the area for about 10 years!

Thanks for all the feedback and private messages they have ben helpful.

LakeWinniMom 06-23-2021 07:31 AM

Rubbin' Butts sounds like it could get you what you need. Good food at pretty reasonable prices too. If you take a look at their menu you will see some options. Portions are large, for instance the Family 4 dinner easily serves about 8. They can also customize for your larger group, just give them a call. have a great gathering!

https://rubbinbuttsbbqnh.com/wp-cont...-menu-2020.pdf

WinnisquamZ 06-23-2021 09:31 AM

Must be honest here. Run in Butts is ok. Never had a great meal, good meal. Not great. Largest complaint I must say is the ribs have been over cooked, dry the last few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 06-23-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 357498)
Must be honest here. Run in Butts is ok. Never had a great meal, good meal. Not great. Largest complaint I must say is the ribs have been over cooked, dry the last few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Agreed, but I've heard the catering is awesome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app