Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Tales (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Fishing (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25858)

WeLoveTheLake 06-02-2020 07:36 AM

Fishing

Do you need a license even if you fish from your own private dock?

What are the best fishing spots?

Hillcountry 06-03-2020 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeLoveTheLake (Post 336070)
Do you need a license even if you fish from your own private dock?

What are the best fishing spots?

Yes you need a license for fishing any waters in the state, and if you go to the ocean you need a salt water license in addition to the regular one.
Depending on the species of fish you are targeting, and the water temperature dictates where to fish. Be mindful that the bass season (bass can be caught anywhere, especially under docks) has restrictions for the spawning season and you should read the fishing publications that Fish and Game put out or check regulations on their website.
The state also provides substantial discounts for resident's licenses for people over a certain age.

8gv 06-03-2020 08:29 AM

Here are the rules:

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-conte...20NHFW-LR2.pdf

hd333 06-03-2020 10:12 AM

Fishing

What is the fine if caught without a license?

I’ve heard they take your gear? Is that accurate or an old wives tail?

If kids under 16 are fishing does an adult need a license if they are not fishing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC2717 06-03-2020 10:48 AM

under 16 no license needed. Can they take your gear, not fully sure. But fishing fresh water without a license is a fine of $95 but it allows you to fish for the rest of the day.

They offer a 1 day, 7 day and a 1 years fishing license for fresh water
link above very helpful as well as this one:
https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/index.html

can even buy at Wallyworld

AC2717 06-03-2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 336161)
I think ...... but I'm not 100% sure they could potentially take anything they want used in the crime.

I've heard of the same thing, but I don't know if it's true.

yes if crime committed, but fishing without a license is not a crime, its a violation. Now if they had say bass in their possession before the 15th then that would be considered a crime and not a violation

pondguy 06-03-2020 12:40 PM

It was on WMUR Ch 9 this morning that there is free fishing this Saturday in New Hampshire.

kawishiwi 06-03-2020 04:19 PM

Northwoods Law

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 336160)
under 16 no license needed. Can they take your gear, not fully sure. But fishing fresh water without a license is a fine of $95 but it allows you to fish for the rest of the day.

They offer a 1 day, 7 day and a 1 years fishing license for fresh water
link above very helpful as well as this one:
https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/index.html

can even buy at Wallyworld

I've seen a few episodes of Northwoods Law on TV where it appears that simple fishing without a license is a fine & loss of fishing rights for 1 year in NH. I believe that would preclude you from a Vermont license for a year as well, and possibly the same in Maine. Under 16 can fish with no license & no licensed adult, but dont let the adult be seen EVER touching a pole at the waterside.

swnoel 06-07-2020 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 336152)
You need it even if you actually own the lake you are fising on and all the surrounding land. No one of age gets out of needing a license

As long as it's less than 10 acres you can fish your own pond without a license. There's a trout pond on rte. 125 in Lee were you can fish without a license.

glastron guy 06-08-2020 07:49 PM

Many years ago when I was sixteen I was on a lake in East Lempster. I had a fishing rod with a thermometer tied to the line. I was rowing across the lake when I was approached by a fish and game officer. He had a photographer from NH dept of tourism with him and they were taking pictures of out of state fishermen and sending them to their local newspaper to be published. All was good until the fish and game guy asked me for my license. I told him I was not fishing and showed him the thermometer tied to the line. He then told me that if the line was in the water you were considered to be fishing and, I had a choice. He would arrest me and I could spend the weekend in jail or he would take me to the local general store and I could buy a seasons license for 15.00. Needless to say I got in his car and he took me to the store and watched as i bought a seasons license. He then brought me back to where I was staying. Ever since then I always have made sure to have a fishing license when and if I was fishing no matter how obscure the body of water I was going to fish. I never did get my picture published in the local paper.

8gv 06-08-2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glastron guy (Post 336442)
Many years ago when I was sixteen I was on a lake in East Lempster. I had a fishing rod with a thermometer tied to the line. I was rowing across the lake when I was approached by a fish and game officer. He had a photographer from NH dept of tourism with him and they were taking pictures of out of state fishermen and sending them to their local newspaper to be published. All was good until the fish and game guy asked me for my license. I told him I was not fishing and showed him the thermometer tied to the line. He then told me that if the line was in the water you were considered to be fishing and, I had a choice. He would arrest me and I could spend the weekend in jail or he would take me to the local general store and I could buy a seasons license for 15.00. Needless to say I got in his car and he took me to the store and watched as i bought a seasons license. He then brought me back to where I was staying. Ever since then I always have made sure to have a fishing license when and if I was fishing no matter how obscure the body of water I was going to fish. I never did get my picture published in the local paper.

I wonder if one could challenge that in court based on the definitions of "fishing" that the state has listed.

A weekend in jail would seem to result in a lawsuit today if it turned out that the CO was out of line.