Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Tales (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mild Winter? Early ice out?? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25374)

MikeF-NH 02-22-2020 08:08 AM

Mild Winter? Early ice out??

I don't make it anywhere near the lake during winter but am usually one of the first boats in the water in the Spring (many times before Ice Out is declared).

I have been watching the lake cams and tracking the very mild winter we had until very recently and am wondering if anyone can provide thoughts about ice conditions on the lake as it pertains to ice out. It seemed that we were still in January and had large areas of open water that just ice in recently.

Are your observations that we have less ice than normal on parts of the lake and that (if the mild patters persist) we might see ice out even before April 1? Or did the recent cold stretches catch the ice up and we are close to normal icing conditions?

Winilyme 02-22-2020 08:44 AM

Please oh please everyone - say “early ice out for sure”. The only ice I’m ever interested in seeing is the cubes chilling my tea as I sit on the dock on a sunny 85 degree day watching the boats go by. I’m feeling the fever coming on.

ishoot308 02-22-2020 10:11 AM

Hi Mike,

In my opinion and for what that’s worth, my thought and hope is we should be fishing April 1st if the month of March is as mild as predicted.

The ice is probably thickest right now but the mild weekend and upcoming temps and longer days will be working on what little ice we have. When it does start to go, it’s gonna go quick!

That’s my thoughts and hopes!😁

Keep your fingers crossed!

Dan

MikeF-NH 02-23-2020 02:14 PM

Dan...you always know just the right thing to say!!!! I have reached that point of winter where I'm ready to see the ice and snow melt and call the dealer to get the boat out of storage and ready to go

MAXUM 02-23-2020 03:02 PM

For what it's worth, in a typical winter I would generally see 18 as much as 36" of ice in front of my place by this time. This morning measured 9" and change. This was one of the last places to lock up.

That certainly would indicate early ice out is possible.

boat_guy64 02-23-2020 08:43 PM

I'm not sure

It has been a mild winter but the ice formed differently than other years from my viewpoint on Meredith Bay. That said, we had a lock up across Meredith Bay (about 3000 feet of ice from my shore to the shore across the bay) earlier than any years in the past 15 I've lived here. I've seen it lock up as late as Jan 15 and this year it locked up on December 21. I anticipated it was just skim ice but it held together and never went away. Even the frigid year of two years ago with record below 0 temps in mid December did not lock up until December 28. However, I'm sure that sustained cold is a much larger influencer on the ice.

Hillcountry 02-24-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 326949)
I hope you are correct and my fingers are crossed.

Don't worry...Dan is always right! ;)

joey2665 02-24-2020 02:23 PM

I recently spoke to a meteorologist that works for the federal government and feeds forecasts to local stations in New York. She told me that she does not see any prolonged cold spells for the rest of the season however there will be above average precipitation

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Descant 02-24-2020 08:23 PM

Ofa?

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 326965)
I recently spoke to a meteorologist that works for the federal government and feeds forecasts to local stations in New York. She told me that she does not see any prolonged cold spells for the rest of the season however there will be above average precipitation

I haven't looked lately. Isn't that what the Old Farmer's Almanac printed last fall?

Hillcountry 02-24-2020 08:46 PM

Speaking of old photos...

3 Attachment(s)
Someone posted these on another forum. The good ol’ days!

Hillcountry 02-25-2020 08:52 AM

I have no idea why these come out sideways sometimes....:confused:

joey2665 02-25-2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 326970)
I haven't looked lately. Isn't that what the Old Farmer's Almanac printed last fall?

I do not follow the farmers almanac my information came from a meteorologist from Brookhaven Labs that works directly for the US Government and she feeds forecasts to local stations in New York and Long Island

upthesaukee 02-25-2020 08:12 PM

Steep bank?

I thought they were standing on a steep bank on the lake. :):rolleye2:

Dave

ishoot308 02-25-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 326964)
Don't worry...Dan is always right! ;)

I keep telling my wife that but it never goes over well! :D:D

Hillcountry 02-26-2020 01:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 327002)
I keep telling my wife that but it never goes over well! :D:D

:D:D:D

In case you hadn’t heard yet Dan...

Andromeda321 02-26-2020 03:05 PM

I was up last weekend by the lake, and went skiing Sunday at Gunstock so got to see the entire lake. At our place in Moultonborough I saw an ice house off of Wallace Island and snowmobilers running between Blueberry and Black Cat, so clearly it's as solid as ever. (I didn't venture out myself.) From Gunstock, I was surprised to see the entire lake frozen over that you can see from up there (it definitely wasn't last time I skied there MLK weekend) but there were giant cracks and random dark patches that I wouldn't expect to see late February.

I also put an ice out date before the earliest ever a few years ago, so you can tell what I'm thinking. It's not going to be a good summer for anyone who dislikes bugs and ticks I think.

ishoot308 02-26-2020 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 327012)

I saw that! What an unbelievable catch!

Here’s the real interesting thing to note...I bet that fish was swimming when the previous state record was caught 62 years ago! I can’t say that for sure but wouldn’t doubt it a bit. I hope the F&G biologist get involved to give us all a little more info on this fish, especially the age!

What a great trophy catch!

Dan

AC2717 02-26-2020 07:04 PM

where was that caught in NH? in Winni?

ishoot308 02-26-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 327023)
where was that caught in NH? in Winni?

Good luck getting that info publicly!!

Hillcountry 02-27-2020 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 327027)
Good luck getting that info publicly!!

Yes they are tight lipped about these things but...the same guy that caught that near record laker “up north” caught a 16 pounder on Winni yesterday!
It’s on the FB “ice fishing nh” page!

Posted with the gentleman’s permission.

fatlazyless 02-28-2020 05:15 AM

..... story in Feb 27, Conway Daily Sun: 'Monster record lake trout caught in NH' includes a color photograph.

In the article a state biologist says this fish was probably born like 50-60 years ago, maybe when Lyndon Johnson was the president in the 1960's, and it is the largest lake trout ever caught in all six new england states ….. so's how about that!

So, what happened to 'catch and release' ……. aren't big fish like this supposed to get released back in after you photo it with your phone camera and post it on winnipesaukee.com! Where's the catch and release, here! … :eek:

You can see someone smiling in the photo, but it ain't the fish that's smiling!

ishoot308 02-28-2020 07:14 PM

Record Laker

Well I wasn’t too far off, according to NHF&G biologist, that record laker recently caught is estimated to be between 50 and 60 years old!

Dan

Lakegeezer 02-29-2020 07:13 AM

Last day to enter the ice-out contest

Happy Leap Day. This year, we have extra day to put in a guess for Winnipesaukee.com's ice-out contest. Link is here

macbeth 03-03-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 327012)

And I Truly feel after fishing Winni for 50 years there are much bigger Lake Trout in Winni then this one.

Hillcountry 03-06-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macbeth (Post 327169)
And I Truly feel after fishing Winni for 50 years there are much bigger Lake Trout in Winni then this one.

Yes...who knows what the depths hold??? (evil laugh) :D

fatlazyless 03-07-2020 09:04 AM

Google this: 'Ice Fishing is Fun!' March 4, 2020: NY Times, for a photo story from Silver Lake in Madison, NH.