Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rumble Strips on Route 28 (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21247)

TheTimeTraveler 09-11-2016 07:36 PM

Rumble Strips on Route 28

Late last year the New Hampshire Highway Department ground rumble strips on various two lane roadways around the state; both in the center in the roadway (where the yellow lines are) as well as the sides of the road (where the white fog lines are).

Today, I noticed that they have begun the process to remove all of these rumble strips.

I actually thought that the rumble strips would be good in alerting drivers if they began to doze off and started to wander out of the travel lane.

Does anyone know why the state reversed itself and now beginning to remove these rumble strips?

Shiny Grumman 09-11-2016 07:54 PM

Probably going to repave those areas.

JADAQ 09-11-2016 08:47 PM

People at a specific campground in East Alton complained about the noise to the state as well as other residents in Alton.

I see they started on 28 south of Alton circle last week filling them in. What a waste of tax payer dollars!

Acrossamerica 09-11-2016 08:54 PM

The white stipe rumble notches on Route 28 from the Alton Circle north were right on the white line. Usually they are about two to three feet to the outside of the line and they were very deep. At night in rainy conditions trying to remain inside the yellow rumble strips and the white line rumble strips was like trying to walk a tight rope. Also being so deep they were dangerous when wet and for motorcycles under any conditions. And they made so much noise that people a half mile away from the road complained.

Another example of what looks good on paper is not always good when put into action. Typical engineer mistake. All design engineers should be made to use their products for a year before putting them onto the market. Would result in a lot less bitching.

Long Pine 09-12-2016 09:55 AM

It looks like they are perhaps just removing the rumble strips on the side of the highway and keeping the ones down the center line although perhaps they are just starting on the side and may remove the center ones later. I am thrilled to see them go. It is definitely true they can be heard distinctly at least a half mile away, perhaps more in the winter when there are no leaves on trees. Just removing the side rumble strips may be a good compromise between safety and nuisance noise. The side rumble strips are probably the ones hit most often as people hit them every time they move over into the breakdown lane to slow down to turn right off the highway, or to pass people on the right who are turning left. I wish there had been more thought and dialogue about the strips before they were installed.

8gv 09-12-2016 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrossamerica (Post 269311)
Another example of what looks good on paper is not always good when put into action. Typical engineer mistake. All design engineers should be made to use their products for a year before putting them onto the market. Would result in a lot less bitching.

This reminds me of how the simple lawnmower gas can becomes a charley foxtrot. Let's eliminate evaporative emissions by designing something that spills gas all over which subsequently...evaporates!

Hezman 09-12-2016 12:11 PM

DOT actions and response

On June 13, 2016 I had sent an email to the NH DOT expressing my concern with the placement of recently installed edge-line rumble strips on Route 28 north of the Alton circle. I was surprised that the rationale for locating rumble strips over the white edge-line was concern for the safety of pedestrians and bicyclists. This would give them a slight margin if a driver veered to the right of the travel line. While true, many drivers hug the white line, especially on curves to provide a margin of safety from oncoming vehicles. This is especially true in these days of distracted drivers. I was not alone and there were a number of complaints. Accordingly, the DOT advised they are taking the following four actions:

1. The centerline rumble strips south of the Alton traffic circle to
Hamwoods Road, where the majority of the width does not meet Department guidelines, will be removed – milled and paved in.
2. The edge line rumble stripes on the white line north of the circle will likewise be removed – milled and paved in. Future consideration to reinstalling rumble strips, further offset from the whiteline, will be made in conjunction with entire NH 28 corridor.
3. The centerline rumble strips north of traffic circle will remain. This is consistent with the rest of the NH 28 corridor of similar width and character.
4. We recognize the concern about passing zones and will consider eliminating/striping out passing zones in areas of particular receptors and with consensus from the community.