Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Moss on roof (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23570)

Garcia 07-14-2018 10:34 AM

Moss on roof

Anyone have experience getting rid of moss on a shingled roof? I’ve heard about products like Wet & Forget or a mixture of bleach and water but am wondering how they work before I go through the trouble of applying. I get the pine needles off with a stiff broom but the moss is pretty stubborn.

Any ideas appreciated - the roof has a few more years of life before it gets replaced with a metal one which will lessen the moss and pine needle problem.

thinkxingu 07-14-2018 10:56 AM

Wet and Forget works as good as everybody says.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

moose tracks 07-14-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 297841)
Wet and Forget works as good as everybody says.

Yes, Wet and Forget will get rid of the moss but it will take a few months.

The Real BigGuy 07-14-2018 11:33 AM

Oxyclean works quicker that W&F. Mix as directed on box. Use garden type sprayer and apply when it is sunny for a day or two. Because it is an oxygen bleach not a chlorine bleach it won’t harm roof, shrubs, etc. and runoff won’t damage lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Slickcraft 07-15-2018 01:15 PM

Wet & Forget.

Our camp on Welch is shaded so 7 years ago there was some moss and lichen starting. One Wet & Forget application and all was gone after several weeks. It has taken 7 years for just a few small patches of lichen to reappear. So I recently gave the roof another application and in a while it will be clear again.

Blue Thunder 07-15-2018 07:48 PM

Wet and Forget fan here too

I’ve used Wet and Forget on my roof and it cleared up in a matter of weeks.

FlyingScot 07-15-2018 10:07 PM

Just curious on the Wet and Forget vs Oxyclean question--Wet and Forget obviously has a big following, but I saw from The Real Big Guy that Oxyclean was quicker on roof and better for the nearby plants and lake. Have any other Wet and Forget users tried Oxyclean?

thinkxingu 07-16-2018 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 297928)
Just curious on the Wet and Forget vs Oxyclean question--Wet and Forget obviously has a big following, but I saw from The Real Big Guy that Oxyclean was quicker on roof and better for the nearby plants and lake. Have any other Wet and Forget users tried Oxyclean?

I posted about a year ago asking for suggestions and both options came up. I went with W&F because I happened to be at Walmart just after reading they sold it there. Since it's in the shade and I couldn't see it, my shed roof had gone way too far, so I thought I'd have to use a few applications, but one treatment wiped everything out and with some rain, my roof is now completely clear for the second year. I still have 3/4 of a bottle, which I just took home to treat a small eave on my home. (I understand the second-to-last sentence is an abomination)

MeEscape 07-31-2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 297848)
Oxyclean works quicker that W&F. Mix as directed on box. Use garden type sprayer and apply when it is sunny for a day or two. Because it is an oxygen bleach not a chlorine bleach it won’t harm roof, shrubs, etc. and runoff won’t damage lake.

Am I correct in understanding that you just used Oxiclean mixed with water? No bleach or anything else. Do you need to sweep it clean or can you do nothing, or just rinse with a hose?
Thanks

The Real BigGuy 07-31-2018 12:44 PM

Oxyclean is bleach, only oxygen bleach instead of chlorine bleach. Yes, just mix it with water per the directions on the container. The key is to spray it on during growing time (warm moist weather with lots of sun). Once it is dead you may be able to just hose it off. I used a combination of hose & a little vrooming.

The Real BigGuy 07-31-2018 12:48 PM

Maybe a chemist out there can discuss this but, I would not mix Oxyclean with chlorine bleach because I don’t know if there would be a chemical reaction that would liberate chlorine gas.

SIKSUKR 08-08-2018 08:57 AM

Per Oxyclean website:
OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover should not be mixed with chlorine bleach or any other household chemicals.

Dave M 10-18-2018 11:03 AM

Wet & Forget

I hit the roof with W&F about 3 weeks ago. The moss has turned brown. Is this the normal process. Do I need to hit it again or scrub with broom or neither.

Thanks Dave M

Woody38 10-18-2018 11:21 AM

You don't need to do anything further except let the Wet and Forget do it's thing. This is not immediate and also is determined by the amount of moss present Next spring you should see a difference. I apply bleach (the blue container) diluted somewhat. Later I apply the Wet and Forget. I have not had to reapply for 2 years so far.
Good luck.

am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

RUGMAN 10-18-2018 05:10 PM

I put strips of zinc strips along the ridge and it has worked great, No more moss.

Woody38 10-18-2018 07:20 PM

I have thought about this solution for some time. How are the zinc strips attached and how visible are they. Would the strips be unsightly from the street.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

Rusty 10-18-2018 09:07 PM

Sometimes I wonder what some people look at when they drive up to their home, the moss doesn't all of sudden appear on their roof. Don't they see how many trees are keeping their home from the sun and this allows the dampness to feed the moss?
It would be better to work on some preventative stratagy than to wonder how they can remove the moss after it damages the roof.
Just my observation of this thread and not meant to insult anyone.

tis 10-19-2018 06:55 AM

I agree with you, Rusty, But on the lake, you can only cut so many trees. Lots of trees also make for lots more mosquitos and bugs. I believe that in the future a lot of homes are going to end up with mold problems from the dampness.

Rusty 10-19-2018 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody38 (Post 303703)
I have thought about this solution for some time. How are the zinc strips attached and how visible are they. Would the strips be unsightly from the street.

They might be "unsightly" to some people (but I doubt it), however moss is unsightly to everyone.
Zinc strips along the ridge vent when new shingles are put on are highly reccomended on roofs that get little sun.

Woody38 10-19-2018 09:06 PM

Thanks Rusty. Most likely my wife will say it is unsightly. But, worth a try.

--------------------------------

tis 10-20-2018 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 303716)
They might be "unsightly" to some people (but I doubt it), however moss is unsightly to everyone.
Zinc strips along the ridge vent when new shingles are put on are highly reccomended on roofs that get little sun.

How come we are agreeing so much lately, Rusty?

LIforrelaxin 10-22-2018 09:25 AM

Wet it and forget it, is the solution. If you apply it inline with the directions, the moss will die with in a few weeks... I have not had any issues with plants, grass etc. dying off after it washes off the roof with rain.

It has taken me almost 10 years to go through a 64 once bottle... I have used it on Decks and roof.... and apply it say every 3 or four years...

thinkxingu 10-22-2018 01:37 PM

W&F worked awesome for me last year, but this season was so moist it came back. Zinc strip going up as I type.

LIforrelaxin 10-22-2018 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 303804)
W&F worked awesome for me last year, but this season was so moist it came back. Zinc strip going up as I type.

The next time the roof is replaced I plan to do the same thing.... at least on the shady side of the roof........

RUGMAN 10-23-2018 06:04 PM

I tucked the strips underneath the top course of shingles and you really have to look to see them, I think it is a long lasting solution, no need to climb back on the roof to spray wet and forget on roof.

ApS 10-24-2018 03:50 AM

Will It Be Zinc or Pine-Needle "Chemistry"?

We have a shingle roof, and for 50+ years, no roof issues.

Out of concern for an "unsightly" layer of pine needles, a family member asked about sweeping them off.

"Knock yourself out", I said. :rolleye2:

So for about ten years, the pine needles were regularly swept off.

Then I was asked, "Should I sweep the moss off the roof? :confused:

"Knock yourself out", I said. :rolleye1:

Well, now the moss has grown over the edge of the roof, and caused what appears to be likely damage to the facia ["facing" boards]. (At 25 feet off the ground, something I'm not going to repair myself). :eek2:

Can I make a case that this relatively new moss growth was inhibited by a thin—but constantly-changing—layer of pine needles?
:confused:

WinniWorkers 01-28-2019 06:56 PM

Moss Removal/Roof Washing

Hi Guys, you can use bleach or oxi-clean or wet and forget. I prefer using oxi-clean when i am working on the water because it breaks down into soda ash and hydrogen peroxide, which are both naturally occurring. Bleach gets a bad rap but it actually breaks down into salt and water. I avoid it because most bleaches contain surficants that can harm the environment. When applying you should do so on a sunny day. You first get up and brush off any heavy debris with a deck broom if you can. Although it isn't necessary. Next you, apply whatever solution you are using and let it dry. You then make a second application and you are done. It is wise to bag off gutter downspouts so as not to damage your shrubs or lawn. You can use the low soaping settings on a pressure washer to apply but DO NOT try to pressure wash debris off your roof as you will damage it.

https://www.facebook.com/FairTradeHomeSolutions/

My company services the islands and surrounding towns and if you don't want to do the project yourself feel free to give us a call at 603-757-6618.

Best,
Brandon
Fair Trade Home Solutions

Rusty 01-28-2019 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by WinniWorkers (Post 306876)
Hi Guys, you can use bleach or oxi-clean or wet and forget. I prefer using oxi-clean when i am working on the water because it breaks down into soda ash and hydrogen peroxide, which are both naturally occurring. Bleach gets a bad rap but it actually breaks down into salt and water. I avoid it because most bleaches contain surficants that can harm the environment. When applying you should do so on a sunny day. You first get up and brush off any heavy debris with a deck broom if you can. Although it isn't necessary. Next you, apply whatever solution you are using and let it dry. You then make a second application and you are done. It is wise to bag off gutter downspouts so as not to damage your shrubs or lawn. You can use the low soaping settings on a pressure washer to apply but DO NOT try to pressure wash debris off your roof as you will damage it.

https://www.facebook.com/FairTradeHomeSolutions/

My company services the islands and surrounding towns and if you don't want to do the project yourself feel free to give us a call at 603-757-6618.

Best,
Brandon
Fair Trade Home Solutions

Glad to see one of your workers picked a good beer to drink while working on a roof. Saw this on your Facebook photos.

WinniWorkers 02-05-2019 01:42 PM

That was a weekend job where I was working on a fellow roofers house for free and had time to take pictures. I actually don’t drink at all and my work crews are all professionals and hard working people. Any given crew that I provide would have at least 30 years of experience. My family also has a place on the lake and have worked in the trade for years and care very much about our work as we are part of the winnipesaukee community. Thank you for pointing out the photo.