Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sinus Congestion Help (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22821)

thinkxingu 11-28-2017 09:31 AM

Sinus Congestion Help

Wayyyy off Winni, but does anyone have suggestions on how to reduce sinus congestion? I've been gunked up for two weeks now--no pain, only in sinuses--and have tried drinking tons of water, nasal sprays, etc. to no avail. Thanks!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

PC31 11-28-2017 09:36 AM

I am NOT a doctor but, my doctor told me antihistamine and decongestant.

Biggd 11-28-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 288132)
Wayyyy off Winni, but does anyone have suggestions on how to reduce sinus congestion? I've been gunked up for two weeks now--no pain, only in sinuses--and have tried drinking tons of water, nasal sprays, etc. to no avail. Thanks!

I always use Alka Selzer Plus Sinus. Not the pill but the kind that you dissolve in water and drink.

Shreddy 11-28-2017 09:38 AM

Neti pot FTW.

Meredith AK 11-28-2017 10:23 AM

Nasal Congestion relief

I find a couple good hits of Wasabi give you temporary relief.
The sushi that comes with it is a bonus.

AC2717 11-28-2017 11:06 AM

had the surgery(second one in 4 years) all goes away now - got about 5 infections a year

best thing steamy long showers and leave the fan off until you are done, followed by strong Sudafed - my guess is you have a sinus infection

KPW 11-28-2017 11:26 AM

Sinus irrigation

https://www.amazon.com/MinGz-Irrigat...n+system&psc=1

You can pick one up at any drugstore or Walmart. Works wonders for me!

joey2665 11-28-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPW (Post 288138)
https://www.amazon.com/MinGz-Irrigat...n+system&psc=1

You can pick one up at any drugstore or Walmart. Works wonders for me!

Also called a Neti Pot, they are excellent

Bear Islander 11-28-2017 11:44 AM

A humidifier might help. You can buy a Vicks steam humidifier in drug stores for about $15.

Breathing in steam always helped me clear my head. Look it up online, the "put a towel over your head" method. There are substances you can add to the water as well.

burgerunh 11-28-2017 11:44 AM

I will third the neti pot. If you can get used to the odd feeling of the saline solution running through your sinuses the relief is outstanding. I swear by mine.

These are available at most drug stores.

Irish mist 11-28-2017 02:07 PM

Yup....neti pot helps. Get it at WalMart.

thinkxingu 11-28-2017 02:38 PM

Does type/brand of neti pot matter?

MDoug 11-28-2017 02:45 PM

Sinuses

I use generics of claritin and flonase, along with generic Afrin as needed.
Works for me.

joey2665 11-28-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 288148)
Does type/brand of neti pot matter?

No I just use the CVS branded one

ITD 11-28-2017 03:45 PM

Wash your sinuses out with neti or other device shown, works wonders.

Outdoorsman 11-28-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 288137)

best thing steamy long showers and leave the fan off until you are done, followed by strong Sudafed

I get massive headache's during allergy season due to sinuses. The above is what I do.

I will mention that the "OTC" Sudafed that you grab off the shelf does nothing for me. I have to go the the pharmacy and ask for the real one and give them ID which they record in a log book or a picture is taken of my ID. It is still an OTC Sudafed, but, from what I am told has an active ingredient that LE monitors.

MAXUM 11-28-2017 05:44 PM

Want a very effective all natural solution?

Take a shot glass fill it with orange juice, add three maybe four drops of concentrated oil of oregano (no more than that) and shoot it down the hatch. Literally 5-10 minutes later you'll be all cleared up. It is amazing.

If you want even quicker results and can stand the burn, take a drop of oil of oregano and rub it on the roof of your mouth. I warn you it's not terribly pleasant but damn it will clear you up in a hurry!

https://www.earthclinic.com/sinus-in...egano-oil.html

Stuff is magic..... and even better all natural.

Woody38 11-28-2017 06:08 PM

Good old HOT TODDY. Works wonders.

Thinking of that, I may just make one now to clear mine.

Sudafed used to work for me, however the new formulas don't quite cut the mustard.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.

Macavity 11-28-2017 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 288154)
I get massive headache's during allergy season due to sinuses. The above is what I do.

I will mention that the "OTC" Sudafed that you grab off the shelf does nothing for me. I have to go the the pharmacy and ask for the real one and give them ID which they record in a log book or a picture is taken of my ID. It is still an OTC Sudafed, but, from what I am told has an active ingredient that LE monitors.

I do allergies/congestion year-round. The behind-the-counter stuff has pseudoephedrine, which is much more effective than the wimpier stuff on the shelf. All the pharmacies have their own brand. I think Hannaford's is the cheapest. Big Brother requires signing for it because it can be used in meth labs.

Guifenasin is another decongestant (used in Mucinex) that can be helpful, too. It is very drying, though, so it's worth searching for an immediate-release version, just in case it doesn't agree with you. You may not want to be enjoying it for hours.

There are machines for sinus irrigation if the neti pot doesn't work well for you.

Hope that helps a little. Feel better!

Mac

ApS 11-29-2017 01:50 AM

So Far, Affected only during Summer...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 288152)
Wash your sinuses out with neti or other device shown, works wonders.

Is this really necessary? :eek:

On the five or so occasions when I have trouble with congestion before bedtime, I place a tiny trace of Vicks® VapoRub™ on the tips of my moustache. (OK, it's not for everyone. :laugh:) So, instead, try a tiny amount under your chin.

Congestion clears up in a couple of minutes. Older containers are said to be much more effective than the newest formula. As above—used sparingly—my three containers, secured at three dwellings—are the old formula. :cool:

Vicks® VapoRub™ has many uses, including on one's feet. :eek2:

https://vicks.com/en-us/safety-and-f...ks-vaporub-faq

Reilly 11-29-2017 04:50 AM

Congestion

How about a DOCTOR ?....

thinkxingu 11-29-2017 05:27 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, all! Grabbed a neti pot last night and, WOW, did it work well. My left ear opened up overnight and I've been able to breathe easily since. Reading the reviews and comments about them online, I thought maybe it was overhyped, but it really does work.

Cheers!

ITD 11-29-2017 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 288169)
Is this really necessary? :eek:

On the five or so occasions when I have trouble with congestion before bedtime, I place a tiny trace of Vicks® VapoRub™ on the tips of my moustache. (OK, it's not for everyone. :laugh:) So, instead, try a tiny amount under your chin.

Congestion clears up in a couple of minutes. Older containers are said to be much more effective than the newest formula. As above—used sparingly—my three containers, secured at three dwellings—are the old formula. :cool:

Vicks® VapoRub™ has many uses, including on one's feet. :eek2:

https://vicks.com/en-us/safety-and-f...ks-vaporub-faq

I'm telling you, it works great, especially for allergies. I also do it when I have a cold, it flushes everything out. There are certain rules you need to follow, like using sterile water (either boiled AND cooled or distilled out of a bottle). And it needs to be a saline solution, you can buy premixed packets or mix your own, just find reputable instructions and follow them.

AC2717 11-29-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 288154)

that's where I had to go the OTC behind the counter, and promise not to make drugs with the signature, the one on the shelf, did nothing

Outdoorsman 11-29-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macavity (Post 288159)
I do allergies/congestion year-round. The behind-the-counter stuff has pseudoephedrine, which is much more effective than the wimpier stuff on the shelf. All the pharmacies have their own brand. I think Hannaford's is the cheapest. Big Brother requires signing for it because it can be used in meth labs.

Mac

Once I discovered that the Sudafed that I had been purchasing OTC for years was only available "behind-the-counter" in its original formula, I asked the Pharmacist why the change for the OTC and why am I signing for something that I had been purchasing for years.... He told me that an active ingredient was used to MFG drugs and the local PD collected the log book once a month. I never knew which ingredient or what drug though.

MeredithMan 11-29-2017 03:31 PM

...and don't forget the baby formula...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 288192)
Once I discovered that the Sudafed that I had been purchasing OTC for years was only available "behind-the-counter" in its original formula, I asked the Pharmacist why the change for the OTC and why am I signing for something that I had been purchasing for years.... He told me that an active ingredient was used to MFG drugs and the local PD collected the log book once a month. I never knew which ingredient or what drug though.

...powdered baby formula is also behind the counter, as it is used to cut drugs, or sold on-line or in the black market for cash.

Pretty pathetic state of affairs....

Doobs41378 11-29-2017 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithMan (Post 288193)
...powdered baby formula is also behind the counter, as it is used to cut drugs, or sold on-line or in the black market for cash.

Pretty pathetic state of affairs....

Kid in front of me today was buying needles at Rite Aid. He said they were for his grandmother but the pharmacist told me that’s what they all say.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

noreast 12-01-2017 02:12 PM

BBB Black Berry Brandi... And neti pot.