Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Lyons Den (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23572)

Woody38 07-14-2018 07:26 PM

Lyons Den

My wife and I have dined at the Lyons Den several times this summer and never disappointed. Usually too full to appreciate desserts until our last visit.
I believe we could make it a point sometime to go just for coffee and dessert. Question then is could one really order a meal after having dessert?
Surely at my age.

---------------------------------------------

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

gillygirl 07-14-2018 10:19 PM

Apps, soup, or salad, maybe?? Sweets are supposed to tell your stomach to stop eating, though. Bailey’s on the rocks to accompany dessert.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Woody38 07-15-2018 03:02 PM

Gillygirl you may be correct. However.
Once in a while oldsters desire to have their dessert first. Surely I would not deny such request. Refusing could be elder abuse, instances my eyes have seen in nursing facilities.

-------------------------------------------------

The Real BigGuy 07-16-2018 06:52 AM

Why does it take so much sweets for my stomach to get the message?[emoji509][emoji512][emoji513]🥧[emoji514][emoji507][emoji511][emoji509][emoji509][emoji509][emoji509]

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Woody38 06-07-2019 06:16 PM

My wife and I dined at the Lyons Den last night. They really outdid themselves with the menu. I had the lamb shank with Asian BBQ sauce. Absolutely out of this world. The decision was tough though, trying to choose between the lamb, baked stuffed haddock and several other options. My wife had baked stuffed shrimp.

Keep up the great dining experience.

Barney Bear 06-07-2019 07:20 PM

Yum!

Our favorite place to dine. Taking our family there soon while they are visiting us here from the Left Coast! 🐻

Woody38 07-13-2019 07:54 PM

My wife and I visited the Lyons Den Friday night. Looking at the menu there was a tough decision. I opted for the baked stuffed salmon and my wife had baked stuffed shrimp (her favorite}. I made a wise choice and loved the salmon. Staff friday were really great and fun.

loonguy 07-13-2019 08:48 PM

We have never been disappointed at the Lyons Den. It is well worth the drive from the opposite side of the lake (Moultonboough).

GBGX2 07-14-2019 05:20 AM

Always an excellent choice.

We love the Den, awesome food and very nice staff.

Consistency... the highest compliment a restaurant can hear!

upthesaukee 07-14-2019 06:49 AM

My wife's thought process

My wife's thought process when we go out to dinner at a restaurant known also for their desserts as well as entrees is to ask to see what is on the dessert menu that evening. If the desserts are on a separate menu, she will ask to see it before she makes up her mind on the meal. Great dessert, lighter meal.

camp guy 07-14-2019 11:42 AM

Lyons Den

Life is short, eat dessert first. One of several signs adorning the walls of the Tilton Diner.

Slickcraft 07-14-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 315247)
My wife's thought process when we go out to dinner at a restaurant known also for their desserts as well as entrees is to ask to see what is on the dessert menu that evening. If the desserts are on a separate menu, she will ask to see it before she makes up her mind on the meal. Great dessert, lighter meal.

Ok Dave, you got me thinking. Maybe next time a garden salad followed by a serving of triple chocolate cake with another glass of wine:)

Alan

Descant 07-16-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 315274)
Ok Dave, you got me thinking. Maybe next time a garden salad followed by a serving of triple chocolate cake with another glass of wine:)

Alan

And their Lobster Pie for dessert? Love it when the Den has this for a special.

Woody38 07-30-2019 07:11 PM

Dinner tonight at Lyons Den. Superb as always. I had the duck which was so tender a knife was not necessary. My wife threw a curve choosing the fettucini (sp) with broccoli and chicken. For me the best restaurant on the lake.

rsmlp 07-31-2019 06:20 AM

lyon's den Vs Jo Greens

NO contest. Lyon's Den by a mile-at least for lunch.

Had fried clams and my wife had a "large" lobster salad at Jo Greens for lunch. Embarrassingly expensive for the amount served. Very disappointing. Have NEVER been disappointed at Lyon's Den. Excellent food and great value. Only problem is fighting for a dock space!

thinkxingu 07-31-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsmlp (Post 316476)
NO contest. Lyon's Den by a mile-at least for lunch.

Had fried clams and my wife had a "large" lobster salad at Jo Greens for lunch. Embarrassingly expensive for the amount served. Very disappointing. Have NEVER been disappointed at Lyon's Den. Excellent food and great value. Only problem is fighting for a dock space!

I don't know where Jo Greens came in, but that place is an embarrassment. Overpriced, small portions, mediocre taste at best. I wasn't jazzed by my experience at Lyon's Den, but it was once during a busy, rainy lunch, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but JG's had lots of chances and at this point I label them criminal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ishoot308 07-31-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody38 (Post 316460)
For me the best restaurant on the lake.

Agreed!

Dan

gillygirl 07-31-2019 04:49 PM

Turned 4 people onto the Den last night. Definitely the place to go to make guests happy.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Woody38 07-31-2019 04:57 PM

OMG ! If we get more people coming there will not be a table for us anymore.

Hillcountry 07-31-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody38 (Post 316520)
OMG ! If we get more people coming there will not be a table for us anymore.

You’ll have to go there at “senior hour” like us! :D

Mr. V 07-31-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 316530)
You’ll have to go there at “senior hour” like us! :D

Or follow their suggestions (from their website): "It's always best to call and make a reservation."

Descant 07-31-2019 09:34 PM

Usually, we just make reservations.

Sue Doe-Nym 08-08-2019 07:48 PM

Lyons Den

Ooooh la la! Scrumptious crab cake dinner....overlooking the lake...everything was perfect, and we will go back soon. It was well worth the 40 minute drive.
Reservations are recommended. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Slickcraft 08-09-2019 06:21 PM

Called yesterday afternoon to reserve a table for 4 for lunch today. We arrived today with friends from Welch and Lauren, up by the window, saw me and pointed to the table for 4 by the window. How nice is that. Very nice lunch and leisurely conversation. My favorite lunch at the Den, baked stuffed haddock. Under $9. Our Welch friends say hi to Barney.

Woody38 08-09-2019 08:03 PM

Love the baked stuffed haddock. Also the duck, baked stuffed salmon and baked stuffed shrimp. Oh, did I mention the Lauren veal. Desserts are great, however, I am too full to get one. I should have a small salad and dessert.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.

Descant 08-11-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody38 (Post 317212)
Love the baked stuffed haddock. Also the duck, baked stuffed salmon and baked stuffed shrimp. Oh, did I mention the Lauren veal. Desserts are great, however, I am too full to get one. I should have a small salad and dessert.

Isn't that almost everything on the menu? Never had a meal at the Den that wasn't top-notch. Same for the catering.

Momo 08-11-2019 07:14 PM

Food at the Lyons Den is consistently great! Never disappointed

Barney Bear 09-15-2019 03:42 PM

The Lyon Roars

Just had a great lunch at the Lyon's Den with friends from Welch Island. The entrees were very tasty, and the total bill very reasonable. This Sunday, the owner was our server and was wearing a Patrriot's blouse. 🐻

Woody38 10-05-2019 06:12 PM

We went to the Lyons Den last night and also Thursday of last week. That Thursday night the place was packed and Lauren and Nina were working alone.
Never a lapse in service as both were constantly running. Obviously the kitchen must have been swamped but one would never know as there was no great lapse between ordering and our meals coming. Also my wife is not a great fan of beef, but she opted for the surf and turf (filet and shrimp) Which she said was fabulous. Apparently so as last night she ordered steak, again tender and tasty. I had one of my usual. Broiled sea scallops. Can't go wrong with them.
Thanks to the staff at the Lyons Den.

Sue Doe-Nym 10-05-2019 07:02 PM

Our last two times there were a disappointment. We’ll give them a rest, then try again next year.