Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Additional photos (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16826)

Lacpicguy 11-25-2013 09:39 AM

Additional photos

5 Attachment(s)
I had more photos in my files that tie in with what I had already posted. These had been in my file cabinet for many years. I figured I should share these as well.

BaileyBecca 11-25-2013 11:06 AM

These photos are fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

Chickie 11-27-2013 11:47 AM

Photos 3 & 4

Number 3 is lower Main Street in Laconia. Lougee's was a dry goods store which was in business for many years into the 40's and 50's.

Number 4 is in Lakeport, north of the square and shows the houses along Union Avenue beginning with what was known as the Crane house (still there today.) You can see Walnut Street to the right going up the hill to Mechanic Street.

The first house on the corner of Union Ave. and Walnut St. was the Woodworth house (now part of Laconia Electric parking lot.) Donald Woodworth was president of the Lakeport National Bank in the 1940's. The next house was built by John Cole, brother of Benjamin Cole of Cole Manufacturing Co., a business located on Elm street, where S&W Building 25 once stood and now part of O's parking lot. This house was later owned by Isaac Skansky and used as a rental.

You can see part of the Laconia Water Works building at top of photo (left off Union Ave.) and at the very top is the Bickford Machine Shop building (later owned and operated by George and Amber Milette.) The Bickford Machine Shop building is still standing. This photo was taken prior to the erection of the large Irwin Marine building along the bay.

SunsetPointWentworth 11-27-2013 02:36 PM

Love the photo's. Thanks for taking the time to post them. The third picture down, of the parade. If siksukr was there, he would yell "TRAIN!!" :laugh:

SIKSUKR 12-04-2013 11:14 AM

Train,train train!

mcdude 12-04-2013 01:27 PM

speaking of trains.....
the 4th photo down nicely shows the end of the Lakeshore RR Line
Quote:

LAKEP0RT The freight house is still standing here, on our left behind the fire station. There remains an unused track which meandersed for about,a mile thru the Irwin Marine boat yard on the right, continued across Route 3, through McDonald's parking lot to an industrial are in recent years. This is the remnant of the Lakeport Branch which ran from Dover to Lakeport until 1935 when trackage between Alton Bay and Gilford was abandoned. The station at Alton Bay on Route 11 with its order board was on this branch. Grade crossing signals are planned here after 2002. We again cross the Winnipesaukee River, on a bridge modified as a draw bridge in 1990 for the use of the many pleasure boaters in the area. A state owned engine house was constructed in the 1970 s for use of the operators of this trackage. Behind it can be seen the only remaining stall of the former original brick engine house. Paugus Bay is on our right for several miles. Trains from the Winipesaukee Scenic Railroad stop here, where the long siding is, to exchange ends with the engine so they can continue their trip back to Weirs Beach and Meredith. 6000 ties were installed from this point to Meredith in 1997 with the completion with ballast and laser alignment done in 2001. The Elm St grade crossing, just before the freight house, was relocated and new crossing protection added in 2003.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...viewpaugus.jpg

SunsetPointWentworth 12-10-2013 08:29 PM

If you had a super power...

Mine would be time travel!!

Boardwalk Bluesboy 12-28-2013 12:30 PM

Photo 5

Photo 5 shows the 1950's fire at the location of what is now the Crazy Gringo in Weirs Beach. Lacpicguy has two other photos of the fire elsewhere (found photos, More found photos). The burning building was originally a grocery store called C.F. Cram's. After the building was rebuilt, Charlie's lunch counter continued to occupy the left side of the building. In the 1970's, on the right side of the building, there was a head shop called Xanadu. (Does anyone remember the head shop?) In the 1980's the two sides were merged to become the Mexican restaurant called Nothin' Fancy, later Rita's, now the Crazy Gringo.

Also seen in the photo is Pinney's Gift Shop. This building still stands and is now the home of Everest Mountain Goods on the left side, and the K&L Candy Boutique on the right side.

Click on the links embedded above to see old postcards of C.F. Cram's and Pinney's Gift Shop.

lagoon 12-29-2013 10:59 AM

I'm curious if anyone on this post has some older, not too old photos of the Ames Farm area and east to Smith Point from the lake 40's and 50's or even 60-70's.

If you do please let me know.

thanks

pjard 12-29-2013 05:29 PM

Thanks for posting these

gtxrider 12-31-2013 10:54 AM

Old Bike Week Photo

1 Attachment(s)
I found this old bike week photo. They sure dressed different back then.

secondcurve 01-01-2014 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtxrider (Post 216981)
I found this old bike week photo. They sure dressed different back then.

Bike week was sure a lot more civilized back then!

WeirsGuard 01-02-2014 09:48 PM

(Does anyone remember the head shop?)

Blues Boy.

I remember the head shop well. As I young lad I walked in with ten dollars to buy some new music and asked the hippie-ish clerk to change my life. I walked out with Jethro Tull's "Aqualung" and Santana's "Abraxas". That clerk did his job well.