Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Internet on the Islands (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27705)

granitebox 01-14-2022 11:37 AM

Internet on the Islands
 
I'm installing some new network devices and came across this potentially nifty device. For those with a cable modem on the islands and you are in need of a reboot to regain connectivity - perhaps this device helps. Ubiquiti is the manufacturer and they are solid supplier of enterprise grade equipment.

The SmartPower Plug detects an offline condition and reboots the modem.

Descant 01-14-2022 12:18 PM

I have a friend who uses a Ubiquiti bullet to access wi-fi from the mainland a couple of miles away. You need a straight uncluttered line of sight.

codeman671 01-14-2022 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by granitebox (Post 366103)
I'm installing some new network devices and came across this potentially nifty device. For those with a cable modem on the islands and you are in need of a reboot to regain connectivity - perhaps this device helps. Ubiquiti is the manufacturer and they are solid supplier of enterprise grade equipment.

The SmartPower Plug detects an offline condition and reboots the modem.

Thats pretty slick. I was going to set up a timer to reboot it every night for the winter but never got a chance at closing. I will try one of these in the spring.

Blue Thunder 01-14-2022 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 366109)
Thats pretty slick. I was going to set up a timer to reboot it every night for the winter but never got a chance at closing. I will try one of these in the spring.

I have a simple light timer on my router and all of my cameras. They reset every night around midnight….saved me many times when there was an outage or quick power bump.

BT

Slickcraft 01-14-2022 05:02 PM

I have timers as well, set for a short off/on at around midnight. If it really works, the SmartPower plug looks like a simpler solution.

I'm not sure what is involved in having it monitor the internet connection. Hopefully the phone and UniFi app are needed only to set up a WiFi connection for the smart plug then the plug is on its own.

Patofnaud 01-14-2022 05:59 PM

Looked at that dongle, it looks pretty cool.

If you have to recycle the modem a lot during the winter, just use an analog lamp timer set to turn off/on at midnight every night. )

mswlogo 01-16-2022 08:20 AM

That’s a good find. I’ve also done the daily timer trick years ago but later found things stable enough to stay up and not need it. Also had one on a flaky web cam. My place might as well be on an island in the middle of winter 120 miles away ;)

The reviews of the SmartPlug on Amazon was not great but there are several similar devices. This one had the best reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MCRQPCS

Descant 01-26-2022 11:39 AM

Upgrfade HUB66
 
An email today says "We have scheduled upgrades to our core equipment in our data center, overnight tonight." Of course, that means little to islanders for a few months, but at least they are continuing improvements.

Island Express 02-21-2022 05:10 AM

Internet Service Providers for the Islands
 
Can anybody recommend a good wireless internet provider for Cow Island ?

Descant 02-21-2022 01:19 PM

Line of sight?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Express (Post 367552)
Can anybody recommend a good wireless internet provider for Cow Island ?

Generally, you nered line of sight to the provider. Starlink may work on one side of Cow, not on the other. Same for Hub66.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.