Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Bobcats! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26790)

loonguy 02-28-2021 05:33 PM

Bobcats!

I have seen bobcats several times over the last week, and late afternoon today saw two at the same time. A little research indicates this is mating season so perhaps the couple today will have some offspring in May.

umbrellapoint 02-28-2021 06:58 PM

Awesome! Where / What time of day did you see them?

loonguy 02-28-2021 07:42 PM

5 PM today, crossing from my backyard to the Loon Center in Moultonborough.

8gv 02-28-2021 10:23 PM

Better let the loons know!

Bobcat nooky can drum up an appetite!

MeredithMan 03-01-2021 08:39 AM

Apparently Coyotes too...

....the Mrs saw on a local FB page on Saturday that Coyotes are out looking for action this time of year as well, and since hormones are raging, keep an eye on your dogs and cats, so they don't become a snack.

VitaBene 03-01-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithMan (Post 351572)
....the Mrs saw on a local FB page on Saturday that Coyotes are out looking for action this time of year as well, and since hormones are raging, keep an eye on your dogs and cats, so they don't become a snack.

Not sure where they are hiding this year! I usually see a lot of deer and coyote tracks on the snowmobile trails in the middle of night especially up on Red Hill. I still see tons of deer, bedding areas, and tracks but no 'yotes! Though there are some talented coyote hunters in town!

tg38 03-05-2021 07:54 AM

bobcat

pretty big one winter harbor on the narrows

Shreddy 03-10-2021 02:16 PM

Had a big and fast bobcat go right through my backyard late morning a few days ago. I was on a call but snagged a quick picture. Uploading it won't be a big benefit since it was a live photo on an iphone and to actually see him you need to see the live image. Pretty wild though!

8gv 03-10-2021 05:10 PM

Pics or it didn't happen! :D

I have been able to duplicate a "live" picture then modify it to remove the "live" attribute.

I think you may also be able to pic an individual frame and make that its own picture.

garysanfran 03-10-2021 05:46 PM

Never saw one before a couple days ago when my Arlo cam videoed one walking across my yard. I tried to upload it here, but could not. I was surprised at how small it was and with a bobbed tail. Looked like a house cat on steroids.

If I saw one in the wild, I wouldn't run away, but I wouldn't try and pet it either.

Now, a mountain lion would be another matter...

Shreddy 03-11-2021 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 351959)
Pics or it didn't happen! :D

I have been able to duplicate a "live" picture then modify it to remove the "live" attribute.

I think you may also be able to pic an individual frame and make that its own picture.

PM me and I'd be happy to send it via text message. I'm a dinosaur when it comes to technology...even being a millennial :laugh:

Jdarby 04-08-2021 04:50 PM

Believe I saw one the other evening crossing Long Island Road. Short sighting but as described by someone else on this forum it looked like a house cat on steroids.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ApS 04-29-2021 08:02 PM

"Happy" Is The Husband Who...

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 351960)
Never saw one before a couple days ago when my Arlo cam videoed one walking across my yard. I tried to upload it here, but could not. I was surprised at how small it was and with a bobbed tail. Looked like a house cat on steroids.

If I saw one in the wild, I wouldn't run away
, but I wouldn't try and pet it either. Now, a mountain lion would be another matter...

Maybe reconsider running away? We forget factors that aren't readily apparent. :eek:

Three weeks ago—NC:

EXCERPTED:
[QUOTE]
On Friday, 9 April, 2021, Happy and Kristi Wade were going about a normal morning routine, as shown by their security video. Happy can be seen setting a cup of coffee on the hood of his car, and placing a box of sweets in the back seat. His wife Kristi comes out. She hears a cat growling. She takes a step back, and a bobcat attacks her from behind. Screaming, she darts between the two family vehicles, with the bobcat biting as it climbs up her back.

Her husband, Happy, comes to her aid. She turns around, and he grabs the bobcat off of her as it nears her neck. Holding the cat above his head, he suffers three bites until he throws the cat across the yard. After throwing the cat, he draws his concealed pistol, pursues the cat, and shoots it to prevent it from attacking another neighbor.

Later, it is reported the cat had previously stalked a different neighbor, earlier that morning. From wdbj7.com:

WECT reported, Kristi received a number of puncture wounds, scratches and was bitten several times. Happy is then seen grabbing the bobcat and carries it away onto his front lawn.

“I just remember seeing this face and it was trying to bite her right there in the side of the neck,” Happy said. “And so I shoved my arm in and that’s how I ended up with it like this [above his head].”

Happy said he was bit by the bobcat three times before he was able to throw it. “I thought: ‘I’ll throw it this way,’” Happy said. “Two options: one, it’ll see an escape route and it’ll take off or it’ll stop just a moment where I can get a good shot at it.”

Comments:
Quote:

1) Dude goes from Mr. Rogers to Dirty Harry in less than 5 seconds. Classic protective husband/dad/pet owner. Respect

2) You cannot get more American than this. Nowhere else in the world would there be a suburb with both a bobcat and an armed husband to defend his wife. Happy Wade shows himself as a good citizen, good husband, and armed warrior/protector, all in a few seconds.

Attacks by rabid bobcats are relatively rare. Bobcats have adapted well to the suburbs.

Water Camper 07-29-2021 06:23 AM

Bobcat in front yard

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Saw this cat in my front yard on Weirs Boulevard in Laconia, NH yesterday late afternoon.

Think it is a bobcat.

Thanks,
Bill

Slickcraft 07-29-2021 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well it does look like a bobcat

mishman 07-31-2021 07:15 PM

Bobcat killed on neck road today

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry to report an adult bobcat was hit by a car on the Moultonborough Neck Rd this morning. I happened to come by a few minutes after the collision and took a couple of pictures. It was a beautiful animal.

Attachment 17162

Attachment 17163

Jdarby 08-10-2021 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mishman (Post 359746)
Sorry to report an adult bobcat was hit by a car on the Moultonborough Neck Rd this morning. I happened to come by a few minutes after the collision and took a couple of pictures. It was a beautiful animal.

Attachment 17162

Attachment 17163

That’s a real shame. Truly a beautiful animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

loonguy 08-20-2021 03:42 PM

Bobcat spotted yesterday afternoon crossing Fox Hollow Road with a rabbit in its mouth, which is not surprising given the many rabbits seen in the neighborhood this year.