Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Poor Visibility (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27267)

Winilyme 07-26-2021 02:53 PM

Poor Visibility

On top of all the rain and cool days, we are now contending with terrible air quality thanks to what I believe is smoke in the atmosphere from the fires out west. As I look across Meredith Bay toward the Weirs, visibility seems to be about one mile on what should be a beautiful sunshiny day.

If there isn't some major rain/snow over vast areas of the west over a multi-year period, we'll be seeing more and more of this.

DRH 07-26-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winilyme (Post 359334)
On top of all the rain and cool days, we are now contending with terrible air quality thanks to what I believe is smoke in the atmosphere from the fires out west. As I look across Meredith Bay toward the Weirs, visibility seems to be about one mile on what should be a beautiful sunshiny day.

If there isn't some major rain/snow over vast areas of the west over a multi-year period, we'll be seeing more and more of this.

Quilt Lady and I took a motorcycle ride this morning from Meredith over to Bristol, and from there down to Danbury, Andover, East Andover, and then back to Bristol and Meredith. The smoke in the sky was very heavy everywhere we rode today. It was so thick that it irritated our eyes quite a bit. We knew from the morning WMUR weather forecast that the smoke would be an air quality factor today, but it was much thicker than we expected.

swnoel 07-27-2021 08:01 AM

It makes one wonder what would happen if the volcano under Yellowstone ever erupts...

Onshore 07-27-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swnoel (Post 359360)
It makes one wonder what would happen if the volcano under Yellowstone ever erupts...

You probably wouldn't know what hit you.

winniwannabe 07-27-2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Just came back to MA on Fri. and we've had the same thing going on down here. I don't think anyone can hope for rain/snow out west. Not making this political by any means... I think the weather is going to be an issue for years to come. Earthquakes, tsunamis , volcano eruptions, flooding..etc. Nature has a way of repairing itself, so here's hoping for a decent rest of the summer and everyone enjoys themselves!:)

Woody38 07-27-2021 10:03 AM

We came up yesterday and noticed that the closer we got the smoke was heavier. Burned our eyes and throat. Getting here it was impossible to see Meredith from the Weirs. This was better later as the lights in Meredith were visible.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

garysanfran 07-27-2021 02:07 PM

I know someone who looked at a property to buy in the California Sierras, around Grass Valley...Single family house.

They went so far as to contact insurance companies for a quote on fire insurance.

AAA said they would not insure anything in that, nor surrounding, zip codes. Another insurer quoted them $14,000/year. The house was less than 100' from a hydrant and was in town...1/2 acre... They stopped looking.

Here, the rains have sprouted mushrooms all over the place. I wish I knew which ones you could eat...A mycophagist I am not!

LoveLakeLife 07-27-2021 04:18 PM

When did a tidal wave start becoming a tsunami? lol The Japanese have their own word, we have our term. I suspect they don’t borrow our words.

(Same with flabbergasted. The British can keep gobsmacked. Never the Twain shall cross.)

Now that’s off my chest … ha

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ApS 08-11-2021 05:03 AM

Very Good Police Work...Arson is Hard to Prove in Court...

Quote:

Police just caught the arsonist who set multiple fires around the immense "Dixie" fire.

He's a college professor! :eek:
https://amp.sacbee.com/news/local/article253403045.html

He joins 44 other California arsonists who've set this year's fires! :eek2:

garysanfran 08-11-2021 06:57 AM

Five years in prison and a $250k fine is way too lenient. A severe example in punishment for Mr. Maynard should be a deterrent for other arsonists. I know this part of California well. These fires sadden me greatly and has caused fire insurance, in those areas, to rise to levels that are affecting home sales...Would you be willing to pay $14k/year just for insurance to live in "Paradise"?

Newbiesaukee 08-11-2021 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 360330)
Five years in prison and a $250k fine is way too lenient. A severe example in punishment for Mr. Maynard should be a deterrent for other arsonists. I know this part of California well. These fires sadden me greatly and has caused fire insurance, in those areas, to rise to levels that are affecting home sales...Would you be willing to pay $14k/year just for insurance to live in "Paradise"?

Totally agree with you on the consequences.

Hurricane and flood insurance in FL ain’t cheap either.

lakershaker 08-11-2021 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 359420)
When did a tidal wave start becoming a tsunami? lol The Japanese have their own word, we have our term. I suspect they don’t borrow our words.

(Same with flabbergasted. The British can keep gobsmacked. Never the Twain shall cross.)

Now that’s off my chest … ha

Japanese actually borrows a ton of words from English. They use three alphabets, one is basically reserved for phonetically spelling Western words.

LoveLakeLife 08-11-2021 08:20 AM

I stand enlightened Laker.

thinkxingu 08-11-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakershaker (Post 360333)
Japanese actually borrows a ton of words from English. They use three alphabets, one is basically reserved for phonetically spelling Western words.

All languages share from others. Being picky over using the "English" word is incredibly limiting—imagine being unable to use schadenfreude or wanderlust or theatre vs. theater or any of thousands of other words originating in other languages that are either more accurate or interesting expressions of thought.

Like, what is the English word/phrase for schadenfreude? You'd have to say, "person who takes pleasure in others' misfortunes." How lame.

And, in the case of similar words—tsunami and tidal wave—one is going to lend itself much better to creativity and tone.

Artistic license is where banality ends and craft begins.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tis 08-11-2021 11:37 AM

Is this fog or lack of sun each morning still from those fires?

DickR 08-11-2021 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 360342)

Well, the fog is due primarily to the very high humidity in the present air mass. As I write this, Accuweather reports the Moultonborough dew point as being 75 F, which is considered "oppressively humid" up here (although perhaps "a nice summer day" on our gulf coast!). Still, cloud formation and ultimately rain or snow does depend strongly on atmospheric dust, particles of which serves as nucleation sites for condensation as the humid air cools as it rises high up. Plenty can be found on this. One piece is here: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02105-5

tis 08-11-2021 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DickR (Post 360347)
Well, the fog is due primarily to the very high humidity in the present air mass. As I write this, Accuweather reports the Moultonborough dew point as being 75 F, which is considered "oppressively humid" up here (although perhaps "a nice summer day" on our gulf coast!). Still, cloud formation and ultimately rain or snow does depend strongly on atmospheric dust, particles of which serves as nucleation sites for condensation as the humid air cools as it rises high up. Plenty can be found on this. One piece is here: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02105-5

Except a few mornings have been like this and it wasn't particularly humid until today. Just wondering.

gillygirl 08-11-2021 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 360349)
Except a few mornings have been like this and it wasn't particularly humid until today. Just wondering.

For fog, the temperature and the dew point have to be the same, or pretty damn close, independent of whether or not it’s humid.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

steve-on-mark 08-12-2021 08:36 AM

This morning's haze.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...81f172a1e4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

LoveLakeLife 08-12-2021 08:43 AM

That was my point Think. We don’t have a word for schadenfreude. We already have words for tsunami and gobsmacked. I think most people use the foreign words to sound like they’re “hip” as opposed to linguistic license. I think it also applies to fad words in English. That’s why (in my opinion) adults started saying awesome and cool no matter how ridiculous it sounded the first time.

8gv 08-12-2021 10:51 AM

Well that’s just fab!

LoveLakeLife 08-12-2021 09:31 PM

haha I suppose back in the day it was swell and neato.

ApS 08-15-2021 07:06 PM

Besides Me, That Is...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 360342)

A little hazy yesterday.

Could anyone detect smoke on the wind Saturday?

Not Sunday—(today).