Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Meadowbrook Shows - Where's the rock? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6019)

Argie's Wife 05-12-2008 02:53 PM

Meadowbrook Shows - Where's the rock?

Anyone going to shows at Meadowbrook this summer?

We usually go several times each season but this year isn't too great, in my opinion. Seems like it's lots of country this year and other acts that just aren't our thing (no offense if all y'all like country...).

We've seen some great shows there in the past - the best was The Doors. Also got to see The Guess Who and the first Hippie Fest - had a good time!

This year the only Live/Blues Traveler /Collective Soul look good... I'm hoping there's going to be a big announcement about something a little more lively... :look:

jetskier 05-12-2008 04:25 PM

We are going...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argie's Wife (Post 70243)
Anyone going to shows at Meadowbrook this summer?

We usually go several times each season but this year isn't too great, in my opinion. Seems like it's lots of country this year and other acts that just aren't our thing (no offense if all y'all like country...).

We've seen some great shows there in the past - the best was The Doors. Also got to see The Guess Who and the first Hippie Fest - had a good time!

This year the only Live/Blues Traveler /Collective Soul look good... I'm hoping there's going to be a big announcement about something a little more lively... :look:

We are going to the Jethro Tull concert...there are a few other rock events, but you are right it does seem heavily weighted to country etc.

Rock:

ZZ Top
Jethro Tull
Hippie fest
Boston

Jetskier:cool:

Lakegeezer 05-12-2008 04:51 PM

Not great, but not too bad

Lynard Skynyrd, ZZtop, Chicago, Crosby/Stills/Nash, Boston/Styx and Jethro Tull are rockers. Hippie Fest is coming again too. Could be better but I'll be enjoying the CSN concert and looking for cheap tickets to Tull.

sky_nh 05-12-2008 05:37 PM

Jethro Tull was great when he came up a few years ago. Worth another listen. This time Peter "Show Me the Way" Frampton is on the bill with Tull. CSN is another must for me. You're right though, it seems like lots of country. Must be the audience they think comes up here and buys tickets.

NHKathy 05-13-2008 10:02 AM

Hey - I like Country! :)
Whats wrong with Country Music?

Grant 05-13-2008 10:05 AM

Just got an e-mail this morning that they added Collective Soul and Blues Traveler. That Tull-Frampton bill looked like fun. In recent years, they've had late additions like Neil Young and Bob Dylan. I think Rat Dog was there last year. Stay tuned...

dpg 05-13-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHKathy (Post 70300)

Nothing, if your old. :laugh::laugh:

angela4design 05-13-2008 11:56 AM

What would 'rock' you?

Well, we can see what they already have at their website. But, I'll throw the question out there - who do you WANT to see??

They're going to schedule acts that they think people will buy tickets to see, so who would you want them to book?

Aquadeziac 05-13-2008 12:21 PM

tickets

Got my tickets to ZZTop and thats all I care about!

Rose 05-13-2008 02:20 PM

U2...but I know I'm dreaming.

Argie's Wife 05-13-2008 02:24 PM

Who do I want to see...?

For starters....

Santana
Hall & Oats
The Cult
Van Halen
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Bryan Adams
Marshall Tucker Band
Phil Keaggy
Elvis Costello
The Smithereens

(All these acts are touring this summer...)

And just so my street cred doesn't go down the drain - one of the most rockin' shows I've ever seen - just absolutely over the top with guitar chops of doom - Rick Springfield. No joke. He was jaw-dropping good! I got free tix last year. I'd PAY to see him again.

Argie's Wife 05-13-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Nuttin's wrong with country music... just not my thing. (I lived in Nashville for 4 years and still didn't get into it, even when I worked in the industry.)

No offense, y'all.

Grant 05-13-2008 09:10 PM

Not Meadowbrook, but rock...

I was just looking for fun stuff to do during my down time while up there opening up later this week & weekend, and toggled over to the website of a band I caught at the Bad Moose a few winters ago.

Ricky and the Giants

If you're a fan of classic rock and good, chunky guitar, check them out! My brother and law happened to be in the Bad Moose one cold February evening for some burritos and ales, when Ricky & Company set up and started playing. I can honestly say that I am hard pressed to think of a better "bar band" guitarist. Great song selection, excellent instrumentals and vocals, and an extensive repertoire.

Now I see that they have a number of gigs at Club 59 in Kingswood Golf Club in Wolfeboro -- including this Friday.

I highly recommend checking these guys out -- they won't disappoint. You can view some of their song list at rickyandthegiants.com

Come on out on Friday and support some real local talent.

Party on,

g

chipj29 05-14-2008 06:52 AM

I would like to see Foreigner again. Saw them at the Palace Theater in Manch last year, and they put on a great show.

Seeker 05-14-2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Paddle faster, I think I hear a banjo! :D

NHKathy 05-14-2008 09:22 AM

Hey!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 70309)

Hey! I'm only 32!!
I love country music - but not the old stuff - I like Rascal Flatts, Carrie Underwood, Martina McBride, Sugarland, Leanne Rimes, Kenney Chesney, and that kind of stuff!
:D

I like rock too though, I pretty much like a variety of different music, lots of different stuff on my iPod!

BLUESDUDE 05-14-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHKathy (Post 70394)
Hey! I'm only 32!!
I love country music - but not the old stuff - I like Rascal Flatts, Carrie Underwood, Martina McBride, Sugarland, Leanne Rimes, Kenney Chesney, and that kind of stuff!
:D

I like rock too though, I pretty much like a variety of different music, lots of different stuff on my iPod!

Highly recommend Charlie Daniels' Volunteer Jam...more ROCK than Country in this show. Shooter Jennings is NOT to be missed!

dpg 05-14-2008 10:51 AM

Aerosmith...ya baby!!! :D

Lin 05-14-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 70309)

Today's country is nothing like your mom's country or should i say more western of the 60's and 70's (Johnnie Cash, Merle Haggard etc) Today are stand out country singers like Toby Keith, Keith Urban, Kenny Chesney, Montgomery Gentry, John Michael Montgomery, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw and a slew of others entertain to sell out concerts in New England and across the nation. and I see the lineup at Meadowbrook includes some very good acts too that usually sell out to the crowds such as Travis Tritt with Keith Anderson and Steve Azar, Brooks and Dunn a perinnial fav at the CMA awards, Martina McBride and Leann Rimes with Gary Allan, Sugarland. These are top country singers with lots of crossover mainstream songs too. (started country but songs are so good the other stations pick them up).

There are a lot more stations that play country music today than when I grew up. Country isn't for everyone but you don't have to be old to enjoy that genre of music.

Lin 05-14-2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rose (Post 70331)
U2...but I know I'm dreaming.

Hi Rose if you ever hear of them coming to New England hope you post it, my son is always saying he'd love to go see them if they ever come this way.

Rose 05-14-2008 08:28 PM

I'll try to remember

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lin (Post 70450)
Hi Rose if you ever hear of them coming to New England hope you post it, my son is always saying he'd love to go see them if they ever come this way.

I'll try to remember to post when they come around. Rumor is possibly in 2009. I've seen them 3 times and every time was very memorable, but I think the best was at Boston Garden on St. Patrick's Day in '92.

mcdude 05-15-2008 07:02 AM

On June 27, 1999 Bonnie Raitt played Meadowbrook. How about bringing her back? I kick myself every time I realize that I missed this concert!

Their web page lists ALL OF THE ACTS THAT HAVE PLAYED AT MEADOWBROOK since their first concert in August of 1996. It is interesting to see how the line up has changed as they find out what kind of acts draw a crowd.

coronado 05-18-2008 05:28 PM

rock has gone away

I've been an "Inner Circle" member for four years and this will most likely be my last..... nothing against you country folk... but it isn't my cup of tea and apparently Meadowbrook has decided to cater to the country crowd.... Too bad, 'cause it was a decent place to see a show....

Irish mist 05-18-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coronado (Post 70743)
I've been an "Inner Circle" member for four years and this will most likely be my last..... nothing against you country folk... but it isn't my cup of tea and apparently Meadowbrook has decided to cater to the country crowd.... Too bad, 'cause it was a decent place to see a show....

It's all about what brings in the money. Seems country is the ticket in this area. Not shocked since this is a rural area, and country plays big in rural America.

skisox24 05-22-2008 08:26 PM

Fresh Acts

Meadowbrook tends to repeat several shows each year or so. We have been Inner Circle members for 4 or 5 years and have noticed a reduction in performers that interest us. We respect those of you that enjoy country....although we do not. The Hippie Fest was fun the first year, but now its tired. In fact, last year the performers seemed to be going through the motions.

We have tix to Chicago, Jethro Tull, Collective Soul/Blues Traveler, and Boston/Styx. Would love to see Earth, Wind & Fire, and Meadowbrook sent an email to Inner Cirle members asking for a show of hands for EWF. Apparently, that show won't happen. Aerosmith would be dynamite. Even some independent rockers like Interpol or Coheed & Cambria would be refreshing.

We have also noticed that the performances that we attended last year were not sell-outs. Meadowbrook is such a great venue, I hope they see the light.

Weirs guy 05-27-2008 11:24 AM

Meadowbrook has had everything from Eminem to Garrison Keller, you've gotta be able to find a show. I'd love to see the Poison/Cinderella bill from a few years back, but my wife wouldn't. :laugh:

Rose 08-04-2008 06:39 PM

Frampton/Tull

We went to see Peter Frampton and Jethro Tull Sunday night. While Tull was good, I think the four of us who went agreed that Frampton was just phenomenal. He was so obviously enjoying himself, it was quite infectious.

JTA 08-05-2008 08:24 AM

Chicago

I did see Chicago a few weeks ago and they REALLY rocked! A marvelous show!!

Lakegeezer 08-05-2008 09:07 AM

Crosby Stills Nash

The CSN concert, a few weeks ago, was a real joy to attend. The music was not too loud and the audience had energy. Crosby was not at his best, but Stills made up for it. All the old favorites, some new songs and an appropriate dose of political opinion from a group that calls it as they see it. Hopefully they will be a yearly event.

twoplustwo 08-05-2008 09:22 AM

we were at CSN, too

I loved every minute of it. Considering Crosby's age and the things he's done to his old body, it amazes me how clear his voice was. And from our vantage point in the 3rd row, the twinkle in his eye, the smile on his face, and the obvious joy he was getting and giving made my whole night.:) Graham Nash has amazingly perfect pitch, and Stephen Stills can still beat a guitar with the very best of them. He must have some arthritis going on, as he was shaking his poor hands every time he tossed a pick into the crowd. It was the best night of my summer, for sure (a fabulous dinner at The Lyon's Den helped!!)

I think Meadowbrook is such a gem. If CSN is there every year, you won't hear me complaining. Although adding Neil Young to that mix would make me even happier.;)

jetskier 08-06-2008 11:20 AM

Tull was great

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rose (Post 78150)
We went to see Peter Frampton and Jethro Tull Sunday night. While Tull was good, I think the four of us who went agreed that Frampton was just phenomenal. He was so obviously enjoying himself, it was quite infectious.

I actually enjoyed Tull more. Frampton was clearly infectious, however, it did not help that they let everyone stand in front of the stage. It is hard to enjoy the show looking at the south end of a northbound fat biker.

Ian Anderson is clearly quirky, but the music is amazing and he remains a perfectionist.

RamJet 08-06-2008 12:12 PM

Frampton show

We had great seats in row 12 in the middle section for the Frampton/Tull show.

Many of the people in with seats in front of us were standing because people in the rows front of them were standing to see over the 30 or so people standing in front of the stage.

Does Meadowbrook allow people to gather in front of the stage at all shows?

jetskier 08-06-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamJet (Post 78316)
We had great seats in row 12 in the middle section for the Frampton/Tull show.

Many of the people in with seats in front of us were standing because people in the rows front of them were standing to see over the 30 or so people standing in front of the stage.

Does Meadowbrook allow people to gather in front of the stage at all shows?

We were in the front row...you don't want to know what the tickets cost. :D

I found out that Frampton requested that Meadowbrook allow folks to come down and stand in front if they wanted to. I personally felt that this was bad form given the fact that they block the view of others.

In general, security keeps folks from congregating in front of the stage. They are a pretty well run operation.

Jan 08-06-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamJet (Post 78316)

We don't go to concerts any more because we got tired of standing up for most of the show.

Rose 08-06-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetskier (Post 78307)
It is hard to enjoy the show looking at the south end of a northbound fat biker.

I saw that guy...what a horrendous view you had.

We were in the ninth row, left hand side. During the break between Frampton and Tull, we briefly sat in the front row seats and decided that with the height of the stage, the distance the performers were set back from the edge and the distance between stage and seats, you'd miss a good chunk of the performers...particularly someone short like Frampton.

As for who is better, well, let's just say 30 years ago my best friend had a huge crush on Frampton, so I'm more familiar with his music than Tull's. I barely even knew what prog rock was before I met my husband.