Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Weirs Drive-in (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28199)

Leoskeys 08-05-2022 12:55 PM

Weirs Drive-in

Hi, I haven’t been to a drive-in for 20 years, and never the Weirs. Considering going to Weirs soon. What’s the best/normal way to watch the movie? Do people sit in their car, do they bring lawn chairs? If in car, how do those in 2nd row of car watch? It’d be two adults and two kids. Thanks

ishoot308 08-05-2022 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoskeys (Post 374557)
Hi, I haven’t been to a drive-in for 20 years, and never the Weirs. Considering going to Weirs soon. What’s the best/normal way to watch the movie? Do people sit in their car, do they bring lawn chairs? If in car, how do those in 2nd row of car watch? It’d be two adults and two kids. Thanks

The best way to watch a movie at the Weirs is to go someplace else as the drive in has been closed for a few years now!

Dan

Charlie T 08-05-2022 01:05 PM

Drive in is open

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 374558)
The best way to watch a movie at the Weirs is to go someplace else as the drive in has been closed for a few years now!

Dan

Sorry Dan but you are mistaken, somehow the Weirs Drive in is open and showing movies. The facilities are far from pristine but they are open and operating

pondguy 08-05-2022 01:08 PM

Movie listings are on the front page of the Laconia Daily Sun

thinkxingu 08-05-2022 01:36 PM

We saw a couple films there last year—it's not in awesome condition, but on a nice night it's a great place to be.

We have a 4Runner and park facing away from the screen. We then open the rear gate for the two kids while we sit in folding rockers in front of them, usually playing cribbage in the down-time. The sound from the Runner's gate speakers is pretty good, and a packed dinner with cooled drinks rounds out the night.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

garysanfran 08-05-2022 02:09 PM

During intermission the kids can hunt for Abenaki Indian relics.

WinnisquamZ 08-05-2022 02:31 PM

Weirs Drive-in

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 374563)
During intermission the kids can hunt for Abenaki Indian relics.

Thinking you can find a few with the dig across the street. What is the over/under of how many have been found?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ishoot308 08-05-2022 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie T (Post 374559)
Sorry Dan but you are mistaken, somehow the Weirs Drive in is open and showing movies. The facilities are far from pristine but they are open and operating

Oh my! I stand corrected! I thought they were shut down a couple years ago!

To the OP….sorry for the misinformation and I hope you enjoy whatever movie you are going to see!

Dan

jbolty 08-05-2022 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 374562)
We saw a couple films there last year—it's not in awesome condition, but on a nice night it's a great place to be.

We have a 4Runner and park facing away from the screen. We then open the rear gate for the two kids while we sit in folding rockers in front of them, usually playing cribbage in the down-time. The sound from the Runner's gate speakers is pretty good, and a packed dinner with cooled drinks rounds out the night.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

My parents and I used to go there in a pickup parked in the back row facing the other way and sit in the back with lawn chairs and homemade pizza. Can't believe that was 50+ years ago. Would have been mom's birthday today

TheTimeTraveler 08-05-2022 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 374566)

To the OP….sorry for the misinformation and I hope you enjoy whatever movie you are going to see!

Dan

Don't feel bad. I don't think there are many Drive Ins left in the United States compared to fifty years ago.

Does anyone know if there are any others in New Hampshire? And, where are they?

Bear Guy 08-05-2022 03:36 PM

lmgtfy

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 374568)
Does anyone know if there are any others in New Hampshire? And, where are they?

This site says there are about 330 drive-ins in the US, three of which are in NH. The other two are Milford and Northfield.
https://www.driveinmovie.com/united-states

garysanfran 08-05-2022 07:24 PM

My memories of the Nashoba Drive-In in Massachusetts, when I was 16 yrs. old, are memorable. Details not, uhhhh, well, best not shared.

I believe Tewksbury had an adult, soft xxx, drive-in. My friends would smuggle three in the trunk...Got caught and banned. Next week, brought another car.

I, of course, never took part in ...Well...whatever!

A great experience!

8gv 08-05-2022 11:03 PM

Here are some drive in movie theatre ads from yesteryear.

Some may be a bit suggestive.

https://youtu.be/4uhKLd9tBt4

laketrout 05-30-2023 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 374566)

Dan

Good to hear the weirs drive in is still going! I Thought the land had been Sold for condos? Guess I was mistaken.
George

Susie Cougar 05-31-2023 12:58 AM

Does anyone remember the drive-in that I believe was in Tuftonboro? I went there in the late 60s and I don’t know how much longer it was open.

tis 05-31-2023 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 383945)
Does anyone remember the drive-in that I believe was in Tuftonboro? I went there in the late 60s and I don’t know how much longer it was open.

It was in Ossipee on Rte.28 almost to 16.

Stilljester 06-01-2023 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 383946)
It was in Ossipee on Rte.28 almost to 16.

You are correct. This is that location today