Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ice Out Contest (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27752)

Janet 02-08-2022 02:37 PM

Ice Out Contest

What happened to the Ice-Out Contest? Didn't it usually start February 1st and run through the end of February? I miss it.

phoenix 02-12-2022 07:49 AM

i guess no contest this year

winniwannabe 02-12-2022 10:17 AM

Not sure if Ice-In was called. Seemed like alot of folks couldn't agree on
a real Ice-In.:liplick:

upthesaukee 02-12-2022 10:47 AM

Apples and oranges

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniwannabe (Post 367194)

That's apples and oranges. Ice out occurs when the Mount Washington can navigate to her regular ports and not be impeded with ice.

"Ice in" doesn't come into the equation.

Dave

8gv 02-12-2022 11:29 AM

Well if there is to be no formal contest this year then I self identify as the winner!

What do I get?

Senter Cove Guy 02-12-2022 04:22 PM

What Do You Get?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 367197)
Well if there is to be no formal contest this year then I self identify as the winner!

What do I get?

You get "whatever" you want to give yourself.

Seriously, we've got to have some kind of an Ice-Out Guess Contest, even if it's just for Bragging Rights.

upthesaukee 02-12-2022 04:39 PM

My guess

My guess is that our esteemed Webmaster is busy enough with monitoring all that goes on with this site, with his own job, and I believe he hosts other sites as well.

It could be he just doesn't have the time to set it up.

JMHO

Dave

chachee52 02-12-2022 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniwannabe (Post 367194)

I was definitely in. If there are trucks driving across the broads, ice is IN!!
Anyway, there have been years where there has been no ice in but Ice out is still declared. As stated above, ice out is when the Mt can go port to port.

Use of the ice is getting shorter and shorter. This is why I never bought another snowmobile to use on the lake when I got old enough to afford one. Used to go up every weekend as a kid for a couple months minimal. O'well, life moves on with change

John Mercier 02-12-2022 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 367205)
My guess is that our esteemed Webmaster is busy enough with monitoring all that goes on with this site, with his own job, and I believe he hosts other sites as well.

It could be he just doesn't have the time to set it up.

JMHO

Dave

Everyone that wanted to could just place their guess in a single thread.

upthesaukee 02-12-2022 05:38 PM

Not that easy

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 367207)
Everyone that wanted to could just place their guess in a single thread.

John, it's not that easy. The Webmaster has what I guess is a spreadsheet of some sort.

Those wishing to enter clicked on a link, entered your "name" or a nickname, and then entered the date (month and day) and the time (a.m. or p.m.). He was able to track entrants so they wouldn't enter more than 1 time.

Prizes were awarded for the 3 closest. Guesses had to be entered by the end of the last day of February.

You may have known all this, but I see you became a "poster" last May after ice-in.

Dave

WJT2 02-12-2022 07:32 PM

Ice out Contest

Whats going on?? Did BRANDON screw this up too????

John Mercier 02-13-2022 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 367208)
John, it's not that easy. The Webmaster has what I guess is a spreadsheet of some sort.

Those wishing to enter clicked on a link, entered your "name" or a nickname, and then entered the date (month and day) and the time (a.m. or p.m.). He was able to track entrants so they wouldn't enter more than 1 time.

Prizes were awarded for the 3 closest. Guesses had to be entered by the end of the last day of February.

You may have known all this, but I see you became a "poster" last May after ice-in.

Dave

Actually, it is that easy. Prizes do not need to be awarded. And since everyone could follow the thread... multiple guess would be noticed unless the poster removed the earlier guesses.

webmaster 02-13-2022 02:29 PM

Because of the interest shown in this thread I've activated the contest for 2022. I'll reduce the timeframe for guessing this year to 3 weeks and extend it for a week into March to make up for the later start.

Sorry it wasn't posted earlier but I've seen interest decline in recent years and was considering discontinuing it this year.

Winilyme 02-13-2022 04:25 PM

Quote:

What do I get?

Sorry 8gv. Looks like your attempt to self-identify isn't going to fly. However, bragging rights to you if you actually do win and hopefully some extra cool swag.

tis 02-13-2022 04:28 PM

It seems once things like prizes get involved it complicates everything. As was said, just have a plain old fun contest.

upthesaukee 02-17-2022 02:10 PM

Bring this forward

Hello folks. Just thought I'd bump this up a notch. As I'm typing this, the are only 106 guesses. Let's show our Webmaster that is indeed interest in this contest. If you go to the site's home page, the header includes info on contests going back to 2005, I believe. In the past 10 years or so, total guesses exceeded 450-500 guesses annually. We have a long way to go.

Make your guess here:

Dave

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/contests/2022/

8gv 02-17-2022 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 367384)
Hello folks. Just thought I'd bump this up a notch. As I'm typing this, the are only 106 guesses. Let's show our Webmaster that is indeed interest in this contest. If you go to the site's home page, the header includes info on contests going back to 2005, I believe. In the past 10 years or so, total guesses exceeded 450-500 guesses annually. We have a long way to go.

Make your guess here:

Dave

Come on everyone, vote early and vote often!

upthesaukee 02-17-2022 08:20 PM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 367404)
Come on everyone, vote early and vote often!

Thanks for the support, but you can only vote 1 time. (Rule 5).

Dave

Descant 02-17-2022 09:20 PM

Winner\s prize?

Thasnkls for being an advocate here, Dave. If I win, I want you to play us a tune on the Glendale docks. Just like the old days.
Hoping you still play.

upthesaukee 02-17-2022 09:40 PM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 367411)
Thasnkls for being an advocate here, Dave. If I win, I want you to play us a tune on the Glendale docks. Just like the old days.
Hoping you still play.

Thanks for the good thought, but unfortunately between arthritic fingers and COPD, my bagpipe playing days are long gone.

Winilyme 02-17-2022 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 367384)

Make your guess here:

Dave

Don't worry. I'll be submitting my date/time before the deadline. It's just that my algorithms haven't finished running yet.

steve-on-mark 02-18-2022 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winilyme (Post 367415)
Don't worry. I'll be submitting my date/time before the deadline. It's just that my algorithms haven't finished running yet.

Your algorithms have no chance against me spinning the " wheel of ice out dates"...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Bear Guy 03-11-2022 01:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I count 334 guesses this year, with mathematical average of 12 April:

Boatbottom952 03-11-2022 09:58 PM

Just to bring you up to speed according to all my Calculations. Ice out was brought to my attention. It will occur on April 18th, declared at 1:18pm. Please Please do not applaud, Just throw Cash.

swnoel 03-12-2022 08:11 AM

Quote:

What do I get?

A date with AOC... she knows you want to date her.:)

8gv 03-12-2022 09:01 AM

I think I'd pass on that.

Our first date didn't go well. :eek:

nj2nh 04-03-2022 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatbottom952 (Post 368265)
Just to bring you up to speed according to all my Calculations. Ice out was brought to my attention. It will occur on April 18th, declared at 1:18pm. Please Please do not applaud, Just throw Cash.

And you will be so wrong as I can see not ice on our webcam as of today, April 3. So, it won’t be long now.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app