Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Issues (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   My Neighbors are Moving (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12650)

songkrai 07-23-2011 10:49 AM

My Neighbors are Moving

I gave them two years. That was my guess. I was off by only one year.

New Megamansion on lake. Constructed by one of the premium builders on lake. The new first owners were from down south Carolina/Maryland/Virginia area.

They stated that they loved it up here. That they were living here year round. That life was perfect here. So beautiful. Everything is great here. Not like the "city" where they came from.

Then out of the babe's mouth was the question: "Where are the sidewalks?". You see, she told me, where she comes from there are sidewalks and street lights. Why don't we have sidewalks and street lights here?

Where are the neighborhood parks was another question. You see, where they came from there were neighborhood parks that all could walk to. Why don't we have neighborhood parks here. Why doesn't the town purchase some land around town and make neighorhood parks with sidewalks and street lights. It can't cost that much money to do such I was advised.

They are planning to move now. They tell me that they "might" keep this megamansion as a Summer home. But they will definitely be moving "South" where there are parks and sidewalks and street lights. As no one here seems to care about such.

RailroadJoe 07-23-2011 11:09 AM

Flatlanders!

VitaBene 07-23-2011 11:43 AM

Change

Quote:

Originally Posted by songkrai (Post 163988)
I gave them two years. That was my guess. I was off by only one year.

New Megamansion on lake. Constructed by one of the premium builders on lake. The new first owners were from down south Carolina/Maryland/Virginia area.

They stated that they loved it up here. That they were living here year round. That life was perfect here. So beautiful. Everything is great here. Not like the "city" where they came from.

Then out of the babe's mouth was the question: "Where are the sidewalks?". You see, she told me, where she comes from there are sidewalks and street lights. Why don't we have sidewalks and street lights here?

Where are the neighborhood parks was another question. You see, where they came from there were neighborhood parks that all could walk to. Why don't we have neighborhood parks here. Why doesn't the town purchase some land around town and make neighorhood parks with sidewalks and street lights. It can't cost that much money to do such I was advised.

They are planning to move now. They tell me that they "might" keep this megamansion as a Summer home. But they will definitely be moving "South" where there are parks and sidewalks and street lights. As no one here seems to care about such.

Some people can move here, live here and enjoy NH Lakes Region living as it is. Others feel the need to carry all of the accoutrements of their former lives with them- these are the ones that don't make it.

We have change here, but it is much slower and more measured, less reactionary.

pjs1342 07-23-2011 12:03 PM

Why do u care???

lawn psycho 07-23-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 163992)
Some people can move here, live here and enjoy NH Lakes Region living as it is. Others feel the need to carry all of the accoutrements of their former lives with them- these are the ones that don't make it.

We have change here, but it is much slower and more measured, less reactionary.

It's also more to do with the Yankee mentaility of haphazard building, lack of code enforcement, and small towns rather than lack of forward thinling with planning and zoning.

It is a fact that towns with more amenities such as parks and libraries, running paths, etc tend to be in places with higher income and education levels. Just sayin:rolleye2:

Gavia immer 07-23-2011 02:00 PM

Turn off the streetlights.

The entire Lakes Region IS a Park.

Pontoon Goon 07-23-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawn psycho (Post 163996)
It is a fact that towns with more amenities such as parks and libraries, running paths, etc tend to be in places with higher income and education levels. Just sayin:rolleye2:

You mean like Laconia ?

kauriel 07-23-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontoon Goon (Post 164005)
You mean like Laconia ?

I was thinking the same thing. They don't have to move far to enjoy amenities such as sidewalks, traffic lights, and parks - they can find those right in Laconia :)

tis 07-23-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawn psycho (Post 163996)
It's also more to do with the Yankee mentaility of haphazard building, lack of code enforcement, and small towns rather than lack of forward thinling with planning and zoning.

Don't tell anyone who has built that there is lack of code enforcement. They will NOT agree with you.

lawn psycho 07-23-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 164014)
Don't tell anyone who has built that there is lack of code enforcement. They will NOT agree with you.

Trust me, what people up here think is code enforcement ain't jack. You may have to fight permitting, etc but I am talking true building code. Plumbing, electrical, building.

I've builts 4 homes. Three different states.

tis 07-23-2011 03:52 PM

Build a house in Wolfeboro and then come back and tell me that. They have it all. They have the national boca code plus, plus. After that, deal with the planners and fire dept.

olimec 07-23-2011 08:19 PM

its not for everyone

It's not for everyone. It certainly is a place steeped in beauty but you trade urban conveniences whose absence are felt it you were raised with them and they are part of your daily routine. There's an new generation on the lake and they're used to things fast and at their fingertips!!

TOAD 07-24-2011 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olimec (Post 164026)
It's not for everyone. It certainly is a place steeped in beauty but you trade urban conveniences whose absence are felt it you were raised with them and they are part of your daily routine. There's an new generation on the lake and they're used to things fast and at their fingertips!!

Urban conveniences, hustle and bustle, fast stuff, big bosx stores and the like is what we are trying to get away from. Whenever I get 15 miles north of the border with Massachusetts I fell like I am reentering the America I grew up in. Sad to know things are changing.

songkrai 07-10-2013 06:07 PM

Their lake house is for sale.
No for sale sign on street.
Their Cobalt boat is for sale too. Someone will get a good used $100,000+ Cobalt boat. Used maybe 4 times per season.