Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Top 10 Fried Seafood Restaurants (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24782)

joey2665 07-26-2019 06:54 PM

Top 10 Fried Seafood Restaurants
 
Three local places Pops #1, South End Laconia #5 and the Bob House #10

There have been many reviews here as we know but I have never heard South End Pizza and Seafood on 106 in Laconia mentioned.

Anyone ever been?


https://www.wmur.com/article/viewers...afood/28512798


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

trfour 07-27-2019 03:26 AM

For my love of seafood
 
Hi Joey, from their rating I'd give them a try.
With my fourteen + years at Lake Winni, I got spoiled between Waldo Pepper's and Pop's. :liplick:

joey2665 07-27-2019 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfour (Post 316150)
Hi Joey, from their rating I'd give them a try.

With my fourteen + years at Lake Winni, I got spoiled between Waldo Pepper's and Pop's. :liplick:

That’s the plan [emoji4]. Although I doubt it’s going to beat Pop’s.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

pondguy 07-27-2019 07:38 AM

Red Hill Dari in Center Harbor should be on this list. :liplick:

BroadHopper 07-27-2019 11:29 AM

South End Pizza
 
Not crazy about the fried food there, it appears a little greasy. The standard bearer in NH is definitely Brown's! Worst fried food is Sawyer's, they were great but gone down into the Abyss.

When available T'Bones has great fried food as well as The Lodge at Smith Point and Hector's.

joey2665 07-27-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 316165)
Not crazy about the fried food there, it appears a little greasy. The standard bearer in NH is definitely Brown's! Worst fried food is Sawyer's, they were great but gone down into the Abyss.

When available T'Bones has great fried food as well as The Lodge at Smith Point and Hector's.

The summer special siracha fried shrimp dinner at t bones is awesome. Had it last week.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

rick35 08-05-2019 10:39 PM

Finally made it to Pops tonight after hearing rave reviews. Iím sorry but the food was just ok. I got the seafood plate and it was large enough for two to share. But the haddock was dry and didnít have much flavor. Same for the clams and scallops. Itís a long ride from Sheps parking lot and we probably wont be back. Weíve had better at Red Hill and itís a lot closer.

dpg 08-06-2019 07:21 AM

Got to Pops last summer for the first time wanted to like it much more than I did but they were "ok." After a long wait and no place to sit we finally had to settle across the street and by the time we ate the food was barely warm. Perhaps not their problem but whatever haven't been back... Finally got to the Bob House last month they were "good" also not sure of the rage everyone speaks of. Both the wife and myself agreed we wouldn't run back to either place. Food was good at the Bob House for me it was more the environment and all the tall "bar-like" seating they have maybe just not for me.

joey2665 08-06-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 316784)
Got to Pops last summer for the first time wanted to like it much more than I did but they were "ok." After a long wait and no place to sit we finally had to settle across the street and by the time we ate the food was barely warm. Perhaps not their problem but whatever haven't been back... Finally got to the Bob House last month they were "good" also not sure of the rage everyone speaks of. Both the wife and myself agreed we wouldn't run back to either place. Food was good at the Bob House for me it was more the environment and all the tall "bar-like" seating they have maybe just not for me.

I find it amazing how there is such a difference of opinion on restaurant reviews. But that’s why they make vanilla and chocolate.

For instance I do not like Patrick’s at all and I think Lyons’s Den is good not great but too each his own. [emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

FlyingScot 08-06-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 316797)
I find it amazing how there is such a difference of opinion on restaurant reviews. But thatís why they make vanilla and chocolate.

For instance I do not like Patrickís at all and I think Lyonsís Den is good not great but too each his own. [emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Agreed--I think part of this is that some of us are more sensitive to price and value, others more focused on taste, others more focused on service speed. Further complication is that many of these places are nostalgic for those who've been dining there for generations.

Like a couple of other recent posters, I found Pop's to be just OK the one time I went, but I'm pretty sure it's a value champ.

jbolty 08-06-2019 02:53 PM

I got the fried combo plate at bob house last week. Was very good and not the slighted bit greasy. Nice big scallops and large shrimp and a nice portion of haddock. no clams but with the price this year I can do without.

thinkxingu 08-06-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 316834)
I got the fried combo plate at bob house last week. Was very good and not the slighted bit greasy. Nice big scallops and large shrimp and a nice portion of haddock. no clams but with the price this year I can do without.

That combo never came with fried clams. You can guess how I know that!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

rick35 08-06-2019 07:13 PM

Tamarack
 
I remember years (and years) ago that this was the place to go for seafood. Not so much now I guess by the number of cars in their parking lot when we drove by last night on our way to Pops. Two cars out front on our way out and four on our way back. Thatís sad.

FlyingScot 08-06-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick35 (Post 316858)
I remember years (and years) ago that this was the place to go for seafood. Not so much now I guess by the number of cars in their parking lot when we drove by last night on our way to Pops. Two cars out front on our way out and four on our way back. Thatís sad.

One of my all time nostalgic faves. My wife and I were there a couple of weekends ago, and it was still terrific. Could be a Monday night thing

thinkxingu 08-07-2019 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 316862)
One of my all time nostalgic faves. My wife and I were there a couple of weekends ago, and it was still terrific. Could be a Monday night thing

What place are we talking about in the last two posts?!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 08-07-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick35 (Post 316858)
I remember years (and years) ago that this was the place to go for seafood. Not so much now I guess by the number of cars in their parking lot when we drove by last night on our way to Pops. Two cars out front on our way out and four on our way back. That’s sad.

Rick which restaurant are you referring too?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

rick35 08-07-2019 08:41 AM

I posted about the Tamarack. It was included in the title of my post but fell off when quoted by FlyingScot. I remember going there in the 60ís and 70ís as a kid and in the 80s and 90ís with my kids.

We have a couple of favorite seafood places in Merrimack (Lobster Boat) and Hampton (Old Salt) and donít think too much about seafood while at the lake. We heard so many great reviews about Pops we had to go. The reviews for the Tamarack havenít been so we donít even think about it. And thatís why the few cars in their lot caught my attention on our way to Pops.

thinkxingu 08-07-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick35 (Post 316899)
I posted about the Tamarack. It was included in the title of my post but fell off when quoted by FlyingScot. I remember going there in the 60ís and 70ís as a kid and in the 80s and 90ís with my kids.

We have a couple of favorite seafood places in Merrimack (Lobster Boat) and Hampton (Old Salt) and donít think too much about seafood while at the lake. We heard so many great reviews about Pops we had to go. The reviews for the Tamarack havenít been so we donít even think about it. And thatís why the few cars in their lot caught my attention on our way to Pops.

Got the Neptune's Platter at the Old Salt a year back--my God, was that AWESOME.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

KPW 08-07-2019 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 316907)
Got the Neptune's Platter at the Old Salt a year back--my God, was that AWESOME.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

We love the Old Salt. We get the Neptune's platter every year while on vacation in April.

jbolty 08-07-2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPW (Post 316911)
We love the Old Salt. We get the Neptune's platter every year while on vacation in April.

Went to old salt a few months ago, kind of by accident, was meeting someone from out of town and they could not find the place they were trying to go and had pulled into the parking lot of old salt to text me so we went there. It was very good.

rick35 08-07-2019 10:50 AM

King Neptune is the biggest presentation of seafood youíll ever see. All kinds of fried seafood and two cups of chowder. The last time I checked it was $60. Order two more chowders and it can easily feed four people. And they serve Allagash on tap and offer two sizes of mud pie. Makes me very happy. We make the hour trip 2-3 times a year. Definitely worth the trip. And they take reservations. Ready to go?

jimkberry 08-07-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick35 (Post 316899)
I posted about the Tamarack. It was included in the title of my post but fell off when quoted by FlyingScot. I remember going there in the 60ís and 70ís as a kid and in the 80s and 90ís with my kids

Just had lunch there. Haddock and shrimp. I was pretty happy with it and would certainly eat there again. They are currently running a reduced menu because of a family emergency so you might want to check first, though.

-jim

thinkxingu 08-09-2019 08:18 PM

Went to Pop's tonight just before the storm rolled through (we took refuge in the gazebo) and it was AWESOME. Seafood combo so good it'd make a bishop kick in a stained glass window.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.