Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What happened to the Dive today? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24675)

Momo 07-06-2019 10:04 PM

What happened to the Dive today?
 
What happened to the Dive today? We were on the island and at about 4:30, it looked like the Dive was out of control and it crashes into Smith Point. There was a small squall just before, but not enough to cause a vessel that size to go ashore. We saw police and marine patrol. Any info?

TheTimeTraveler 07-06-2019 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momo (Post 314682)
What happened to the Dive today? We were on the island and at about 4:30, it looked like the Dive was out of control and it crashes into Smith Point. There was a small squall just before, but not enough to cause a vessel that size to go ashore. We saw police and marine patrol. Any info?

I can't answer your question other than to say that I hope the "Dive" has enough flotation devices and life boats in the event of a serious emergency.

joey2665 07-06-2019 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 314687)
I can't answer your question other than to say that I hope the "Dive" has enough flotation devices and life boats in the event of a serious emergency.

Pretty sure it would not have passed inspection, which it has done, if it didn’t have enough PFDs for all its passengers.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 07-07-2019 07:22 AM

Anyone have any info on this ďincident ď. I canít find anything on their Facebook page.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

fatlazyless 07-07-2019 11:58 AM

....the barge that paddles together ...... is the barge
 
.....is the barge that doesn't run a-ground on Smith Point

If The Dive big barge had a problem with its twin outboards or lost steering or just got blown ashore or something it could have used some auxiliary paddle power to stay safe.

Six of those long handled stand up paddle board paddles could paddle it on course and be something for the customers to do on calm waters, just for the fun of paddling ..... yo heave ho ...... paddle, paddle, paddle ..... that they 're is Smith Point up ahead ..... so everybody ...... paddle, paddle, paddle! ... :laugh:

JADAQ 07-07-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 314699)
Anyone have any info on this ďincident ď. I canít find anything on their Facebook page.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

They were taking cover from the storm and ducked into a cove, some ďunhappyĒ person who apparently thinks they own the water in front of their place called the police to complain they had dropped anchor for a short period to wait out the weather....

Top-Water 07-07-2019 12:29 PM

Thank you a for the meaningful post and possible explanation what took place.

Unlike the stupidity posted previously to yours, that is a joke of some sort that has really ran it's course.

joey2665 07-07-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JADAQ (Post 314715)
They were taking cover from the storm and ducked into a cove, some “unhappy” person who apparently thinks they own the water in front of their place called the police to complain they had dropped anchor for a short period to wait out the weather....

Thank you for the update I appreciate the information.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Momo 07-07-2019 01:58 PM

Well, I canít speak about the neighbor who called Marine Patrol, but I would certainly have called them too if a vessel that big was headed toward my property. And not because of the property, but because there were many crew on board running all over the deck. It was going way faster than headway speed and crashed into rocks on Smith Point we saw and heard it. If it was truly seeking safe haven it could have gone into Glidden Cove or near one of the many docks. I watched it and knew it was in trouble.

It was disabled for a while even after it was pulled out away from the shore by boats. The Dive obviously had some kind of issue and was not just taking safe harbor. Believe what you want, but I saw it. The main thing is that it appears that nobody was hurt. Makes me realize how challenging it is to captain the Dive.

ApS 07-07-2019 02:09 PM

A Handful...
 
A 2-story barge would be a handful. :eek2:

A few years ago, a regular barge lost an excavator overboard into 85 feet of water. :eek:

(Recovered later).

joey2665 07-07-2019 02:50 PM

Facebook only says they are closed today. Nothing about yesterday


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

FlyingScot 07-07-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momo (Post 314721)
Well, I canít speak about the neighbor who called Marine Patrol, but I would certainly have called them too if a vessel that big was headed toward my property. And not because of the property, but because there were many crew on board running all over the deck. It was going way faster than headway speed and crashed into rocks on Smith Point we saw and heard it. If it was truly seeking safe haven it could have gone into Glidden Cove or near one of the many docks. I watched it and knew it was in trouble.

It was disabled for a while even after it was pulled out away from the shore by boats. The Dive obviously had some kind of issue and was not just taking safe harbor. Believe what you want, but I saw it. The main thing is that it appears that nobody was hurt. Makes me realize how challenging it is to captain the Dive.

Very helpful. Perhaps not quite engineered for heavy weather, and/or lacking appropriate backup systems. The margin of error disappears when a boat is that big and boxy. Glad no one was hurt

ishoot308 07-07-2019 05:34 PM

Barges
 
None of the winni Barges do good in wind. Anybody who has ever had work done on the lake by a barge realizes the limitations these large crafts have in the wind. With the dive being two stories high, it must be challenging to say the least. A learning curve for sure!

Glad no one was hurt!

Dan

The Real BigGuy 07-07-2019 06:43 PM

Lots of years ago Diversified Marine was bringing his barge up the lake from Alton and got caught in a squall. Dave told me he had both outboards (250s) wide open and he was barely holding his own. He only had his excavator on the barge and wasnít dealing with 2 stories of sail.

Hope they didnít damage the hull. Hate to see them shut down for an extended period of time.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Lovehtelake 07-07-2019 07:06 PM

To the person who posted that the Dive had dropped anchor to take safe harbor... please get your facts correct before you post. Were your there? I was.

I have no feeling for the Dive either way. However, I watched the entire event from a few doors down. The truth is there was no anchor dropped. The barge rammed into the rocks after coming straight in to Smith Point at a surprisingly fast rate of speed. It was obvious to anyone who was there to witness it, that the captain did not have command of the Dive. Regardless of the reason - it ran aground and just missed a boathouse. If the captain had control and was truly seeking safe harbor, Glidden Cove was wide open. This would have been a better option for safety rather than crashing into rocks in someones waterfront. After it was pulled out by another boat, it sat between Sleepers and Smith Point for a while. I saw two jets skis circling around like they were trying to help.

Todayís Posts make a good point about how hard it is to navigate a barge on the lake and I believe it. After watching this calamity last night, it convinced me that the only time I would ever go on the Dive is when it is securely tied up to a dock.

Based on how the barge hit the rocks, there had to be damage and that may be why they were closed today. Or perhaps they all just wanted to enjoy a beautiful day on the lake.

fatlazyless 07-07-2019 07:28 PM

The Dive big barge ..... is the barge that doesn't run a-ground on Smith Point ..... yo heave ho ...... paddle, paddle, paddle ..... that they 're is Smith Point up ahead ..... so everybody ...... paddle, paddle, paddle! ... :eek2:

Besides adding maybe six stand up paddle board paddles for auxiliary power when The Dive's two outboard can't cut it ...... maybe attaching a few of those monster 5" diameter foam noodles on the bow ...... for a cushion to protect the hull and soften the impact with whatever it hits?

....... land ho ....... here comes The Dive! ....... outta the way! .... :cheers:

So, what really happened ...... nobody knows .... maybe the captain just momentarily dozed off at the wheel or something?

Top-Water 07-07-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovehtelake (Post 314748)
To the person who posted that the Dive had dropped anchor to take safe harbor... please get your facts correct before you post. Were your there? I was.

I have no feeling for the Dive either way. However, I watched the entire event from a few doors down. The truth is there was no anchor dropped. The barge rammed into the rocks after coming straight in to Smith Point at a surprisingly fast rate of speed. It was obvious to anyone who was there to witness it, that the captain did not have command of the Dive. Regardless of the reason - it ran aground and just missed a boathouse. If the captain had control and was truly seeking safe harbor, Glidden Cove was wide open. This would have been a better option for safety rather than crashing into rocks in someones waterfront. After it was pulled out by another boat, it sat between Sleepers and Smith Point for a while. I saw two jets skis circling around like they were trying to help.

Todayís Posts make a good point about how hard it is to navigate a barge on the lake and I believe it. After watching this calamity last night, it convinced me that the only time I would ever go on the Dive is when it is securely tied up to a dock.

Based on how the barge hit the rocks, there had to be damage and that may be why they were closed today. Or perhaps they all just wanted to enjoy a beautiful day on the lake.

Welcome to the forum,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovehtelake (Post 314748)
The barge rammed into the rocks after coming straight in to Smith Point at a surprisingly fast rate of speed.

What would you estimate that speed to be 10, 20, 30, or 40mph. :confused:

winnisummergal 07-07-2019 10:22 PM

Please donít post if you donít know facts
 
JADAQ - Iím sorry but your post is not accurate. lakehtelover has a more accurate depiction of what occurred. I was on scene and although I will not elaborate on the other issues the Dive had while trying to remove themselves from from running aground, I just wanted to set record straight and avoid mistruths. It was very scary for all involved.

Top-Water 07-07-2019 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnisummergal (Post 314759)
JADAQ - Iím sorry but your post is not accurate. lakehtelover has a more accurate depiction of what occurred. I was on scene and although I will not elaborate on the other issues the Dive had while trying to remove themselves from from running aground, I just wanted to set record straight and avoid mistruths. It was very scary for all involved.

Thank you for posting and leaving out an editorial bashing.

kawishiwi 07-07-2019 11:37 PM

Umm...not just ugly & out of place
 
So now we know the dive is a hazard in itself in addition to being ugly, out of place, and a misuse of the state park of Winni.
Sounds like a combination of defective design and incompetent seamanship.
Hopefully they will tie this monstrosity up somewhere and leave it there.

Top-Water 07-07-2019 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawishiwi (Post 314762)
So now we know the dive is a hazard in itself in addition to being ugly, out of place, and a misuse of the state park of Winni.
Sounds like a combination of defective design and incompetent seamanship.
Hopefully they will tie this monstrosity up somewhere and leave it there.


Perhaps you should notify Wikipedia, Lake Winnipesaukee is not listed as a New Hampshire State Park.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...re_state_parks

From this great thread from Rattlesnake Gal
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ead.php?t=1194

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...un_aground.jpg

kawishiwi 07-08-2019 12:20 AM

Oh for God's sake
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 314763)
Perhaps you should notify Wikipedia, Lake Winnipesaukee is not listed as a New Hampshire State Park.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...re_state_parks

From this great thread from Rattlesnake Gal
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ead.php?t=1194

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...un_aground.jpg

It's not officially LISTED as a state park. But it functions as a state owned 'park'. It's owned by the state for the outdoor enjoyment of the public.

Top-Water 07-08-2019 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawishiwi (Post 314764)
It's not officially LISTED as a state park. But it functions as a state owned 'park'. It's owned by the state for the outdoor enjoyment of the public.

Anything you say as long as they clear the enjoyment of the public with you first.

ApS 07-08-2019 03:54 AM

When Reverse Isn't the Answer...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kawishiwi (Post 314762)
So now we know the dive is a hazard in itself in addition to being ugly, out of place, and a misuse of the state park of Winni. Sounds like a combination of defective design and incompetent seamanship Hopefully they will tie this monstrosity up somewhere and leave it there.

I wonder if the Dive was overpowered by wind gusts, and a sustained application of REVERSE was the failed answer. :eek2:

thinkxingu 07-08-2019 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 314767)
I wonder if the Dive was overpowered by wind gusts, and a sustained application of REVERSE was the failed answer. :eek2:

Interesting question. The wind force on a 2-story box like that must be massive--I'm amazed how much navigating my 20' pontoon changes in the wind with just the bimini up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

welch-time 07-08-2019 08:26 AM

So where's the pictures?
Sounds like this was observed by lots of people, but no pics.

brk-lnt 07-08-2019 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawishiwi (Post 314762)
So now we know the dive is a hazard in itself

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

So far, we sort of know there was some kind of issue. From the details available, it does not seem reasonable to conclude that this is a systemic issue with the vessel, or a 1-time issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawishiwi (Post 314762)
in addition to being ugly,

Subjective, and if all "ugly" boats, people, and properties were removed from the lake, it would be a pretty barren spot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawishiwi (Post 314762)
out of place, and a misuse of the state park of Winni.

Link to data/regulations/etc. that define "misuse", or "proper use"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawishiwi (Post 314762)
Sounds like a combination of defective design and incompetent seamanship.
Hopefully they will tie this monstrosity up somewhere and leave it there.

Sounds like you need a hobby.

Woodsy 07-08-2019 08:41 AM

Why the negativity?
 
On its BEST day the Dive can't go faster than 5MPH..... They usually cruise at 4 MPH as they get way better fuel economy. So the claims of faster than "headway speed" are ludicrous!

Perhaps it was a mechanical failure of some sort? (Their engine woes were well documented here last year). The Mount and its sisters have also had mechanical issues...

Perhaps it was a storm/wind issue...

Either way, it will eventually all come out. Be happy nobody was hurt, nothing but the Dive was damaged (if there even was any damage those barges are pretty rugged).

Woodsy

dt5150 07-08-2019 08:54 AM

i saw it tied up next to ellacoya on saturday morning. sunday morning, it was gone.

dave603 07-08-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 314767)
I wonder if the Dive was overpowered by wind gusts, and a sustained application of REVERSE was the failed answer. :eek2:

I heard that they were tied up last week due to a reverse problem. Maybe it happened again?

Woodsy 07-08-2019 09:05 AM

The were down at Lakeshore Park for a private party there....

I don't know of any "reverse" problems, but maybe? I do know the owners usually make a "Game Day" call on leaving the dock for a sandbar.

I can say they were at Braun Bay for the 4th and did a BANGING business! There was a line to get on the boat ALL DAY!


Woodsy

FlyingScot 07-08-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 314787)
I do know the owners usually make a "Game Day" call on leaving the dock for a sandbar.


Woodsy

This is just another aspect of the same flaw--no margin for error. It's a long day! When a typical boat makes a Game Day call he can travel at 30mph if the weather starts to turn, navigate easily into small coves, anchor in less than a minute, withstand wind and waves with a normal hull, not get blown by 2 stories of building, not worry about being top heavy, not worry about a large number of passengers...

Woodsy 07-08-2019 10:03 AM

There is plenty of margin for error.... the game day call is a result of business. Will I make more money staying at the Weirs Pier? or more money out at one of the sandbars?

On weekends with nice weather, the sandbar is the right call. (Judging from the crowd I saw on the Dive on the the 4th)

This is only their 1st full year of operation.... they are still on the learning curve. They will get it dialed in!


Woodsy

The Real BigGuy 07-08-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 314780)
Perhaps it was a mechanical failure of some sort? (Their engine woes were well documented here last year). The Mount and its sisters have also had mechanical issues...

Woodsy

I agree on potential mechanical. Tuftonboro Fire Boat had to transfer patient to MP boat during Ragged rescue attempt because its outboards were overheating from high speed run. If Dive was running WOT to fight the wind they could have suffered same fate.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 07-08-2019 11:32 AM

Reopening Wednesday 7/10
 
Whatever happened it could not have been to serious as they will be open this Wednesday the 10th per their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/thedivel...=page_internal

kawishiwi 07-08-2019 03:12 PM

Yes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 314765)
Anything you say as long as they clear the enjoyment of the public with you first.

Hey good job! You're catching on.

kawishiwi 07-08-2019 03:28 PM

Sounds like...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brk-lnt (Post 314779)
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

So far, we sort of know there was some kind of issue. From the details available, it does not seem reasonable to conclude that this is a systemic issue with the vessel, or a 1-time issue.

Subjective, and if all "ugly" boats, people, and properties were removed from the lake, it would be a pretty barren spot.

Link to data/regulations/etc. that define "misuse", or "proper use"?

Sounds like you need a hobby.

Sounds like you might be the one in need a of a hobby beyond making multi part blow hard responses to posts at 8:30 in the morning.

FlyingScot 07-08-2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brk-lnt (Post 314779)
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

That's a catchy saying, but with all due respect, it's completely wrong.


If the same "anecdote" happened once a week for 10 weeks, you'd call it data, wouldn't you?

Top-Water 07-08-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 314780)
Be happy nobody was hurt, nothing but the Dive was damaged ............
Woodsy

It's amazing when your ready to get a few bashes in towards something you don't like all the real important stuff seems to fly out the window.

Thanks for recognizing that no one seems to have been hurt.

brk-lnt 07-08-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 314855)
That's a catchy saying, but with all due respect, it's completely wrong.


If the same "anecdote" happened once a week for 10 weeks, you'd call it data, wouldn't you?

An "anecdote" is generally a short, amusing, one-off kind of story. The saying I used means that you can't extrapolate from a single event to conclude that you have some kind of "data" or repeatable event.

At some point, if the thing keeps happening, it is probably no longer an anecdote, and may actually be "data", but we don't have that in this case, do we?

brk-lnt 07-08-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawishiwi (Post 314838)
Sounds like you might be the one in need a of a hobby beyond making multi part blow hard responses to posts at 8:30 in the morning.

I have quite a few hobbies. One of them is calling out people who make indefensible forum posts.

Nice to see you offer exactly zero valid responses to any of my comments/questions and instead resort to a schoolyard-level response.

Momo 07-08-2019 05:37 PM

So if the people in shore who were affected took photos of the situation and the Dive must have video from their on board cameras.... what is the debate here? It should all be captured .

Lovehtelake 07-08-2019 09:20 PM

You should applaud those of us on shore who took photos and videos and have not posted them. We are happy that nobody was hurt and have no intention of inflaming the situation. I heard the Dive has video cameras on several areas of the boat so if you really want to see for yourself... ask them.

Woodsy 07-08-2019 09:24 PM

I just asked what happened....
 
1 Attachment(s)
Lovethelake..... I did just that! I reached out to the owners of the Dive, I know them to be pretty nice people. This was their reply....

"So the real story is, we were just seeking shelter from the storm, it wasnít that bad but with the winds gusting we could barely power through the waves at just over headway speed, about 4 mph. With the gusting winds we decided it would be best to seek shelter in a cove and to wait out the storm. So we drove into the cove by Smith Point. We were absolutely under control. We were at least 25í off of shore and dropped our spuds to wait out the storm. Unfortunately, our front spud got caught in the rocky terrain, our rear spud was unable to reach as it was way deeper than 16í.., so we spun to a point where the the front spud was slightly tweaked. This was a problem and we quickly solved with tools on board for such a problem.

In the meantime, a woman and her husband came out to her dock to hurl profanities at us in front of 16 old children. Saying and I quote ď Are you fuc@$ng kidding meĒ ď get the fu$& out of hereĒ (We have this on video) I promptly called the MP, to advise them of our situation (seeking shelter in the cove and the people acting like jerks) I for one would ALWAYS offer to help anyone in a storm situation... not yell obscenities!


Ultimately the marine patrol and a state police officer came to see me and them at my request because of the obscenities that were being hurled ( which we have recorded). We were told by the MP that we did absolutely nothing wrong and that the miserable people yelling were told they donít own the lake. Even the MPís had to take shelter which they also told us.

For the record...

A) We donít anchor.. we donít even carry anchors. We spud.

B) Iíve never ever been over 5.5 MPH, so I have no idea how in high headway winds we could have been traveling in a unsafe speed.

The haters and the liars who have trying their hardest to hurt us make me laugh as they have absolutely nothing better to do in their pathetic boring lives but to start lies and smear campaigns because they are miserable human beings.

And if anyone thinks Iím lying, feel free to look at the police report."

They sent a pic that I have attached.


Woodsy

ishoot308 07-08-2019 09:32 PM

Thanks!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 314876)
Lovethelake..... I did just that! I reached out to the owners of the Dive, I know them to be pretty nice people. This was their reply....

"So the real story is, we were just seeking shelter from the storm, it wasnít that bad but with the winds gusting we could barely power through the waves at just over headway speed, about 4 mph. With the gusting winds we decided it would be best to seek shelter in a cove and to wait out the storm. So we drove into the cove by Smith Point. We were absolutely under control. We were at least 25í off of shore and dropped our spuds to wait out the storm. Unfortunately, our front spud got caught in the rocky terrain, our rear spud was unable to reach as it was way deeper than 16í.., so we spun to a point where the the front spud was slightly tweaked. This was a problem and we quickly solved with tools on board for such a problem.

In the meantime, a woman and her husband came out to her dock to hurl profanities at us in front of 16 old children. Saying and I quote ď Are you fuc@$ng kidding meĒ ď get the fu$& out of hereĒ (We have this on video) I promptly called the MP, to advise them of our situation (seeking shelter in the cove and the people acting like jerks) I for one would ALWAYS offer to help anyone in a storm situation... not yell obscenities!


Ultimately the marine patrol and a state police officer came to see me and them at my request because of the obscenities that were being hurled ( which we have recorded). We were told by the MP that we did absolutely nothing wrong and that the miserable people yelling were told they donít own the lake. Even the MPís had to take shelter which they also told us.

For the record...

A) We donít anchor.. we donít even carry anchors. We spud.

B) Iíve never ever been over 5.5 MPH, so I have no idea how in high headway winds we could have been traveling in a unsafe speed.

The haters and the liars who have trying their hardest to hurt us make me laugh as they have absolutely nothing better to do in their pathetic boring lives but to start lies and smear campaigns because they are miserable human beings.

And if anyone thinks Iím lying, feel free to look at the police report."

They sent a pic that I have attached.


Woodsy

Thanks Woodsy for posting this...itís truly amazing how things get twisted and distorted to the point that the final story ends up being a complete and fabricated falsehood... The Dive did the absolute right and safe thing. The a**wipes on shore should be fined!

Top-Water 07-08-2019 09:59 PM

Mega Thank you Woodsy :cheers: I'm going to the dive to get you a gift certificate for a drink.

But a new member first post IMHO was a dead giveaway something was up.

joey2665 07-08-2019 10:17 PM

Big thanks Woodsy!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

HellRaZoR004 07-08-2019 10:27 PM

Wow, thanks for posting the other side of the story.

From the beginning I wondered why the original poster asked what happened but then later comment on how they watched it all go down. Trying to stir the pot?

I feel sorry for those who bash anybody trying to take shelter from inclement conditions...it all boils down to the NIMBY mentality.

steve-on-mark 07-08-2019 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 314876)
Lovethelake..... I did just that! I reached out to the owners of the Dive, I know them to be pretty nice people. This was their reply....

"So the real story is, we were just seeking shelter from the storm, it wasnít that bad but with the winds gusting we could barely power through the waves at just over headway speed, about 4 mph. With the gusting winds we decided it would be best to seek shelter in a cove and to wait out the storm. So we drove into the cove by Smith Point. We were absolutely under control. We were at least 25í off of shore and dropped our spuds to wait out the storm. Unfortunately, our front spud got caught in the rocky terrain, our rear spud was unable to reach as it was way deeper than 16í.., so we spun to a point where the the front spud was slightly tweaked. This was a problem and we quickly solved with tools on board for such a problem.

In the meantime, a woman and her husband came out to her dock to hurl profanities at us in front of 16 old children. Saying and I quote ď Are you fuc@$ng kidding meĒ ď get the fu$& out of hereĒ (We have this on video) I promptly called the MP, to advise them of our situation (seeking shelter in the cove and the people acting like jerks) I for one would ALWAYS offer to help anyone in a storm situation... not yell obscenities!


Ultimately the marine patrol and a state police officer came to see me and them at my request because of the obscenities that were being hurled ( which we have recorded). We were told by the MP that we did absolutely nothing wrong and that the miserable people yelling were told they donít own the lake. Even the MPís had to take shelter which they also told us.

For the record...

A) We donít anchor.. we donít even carry anchors. We spud.

B) Iíve never ever been over 5.5 MPH, so I have no idea how in high headway winds we could have been traveling in a unsafe speed.

The haters and the liars who have trying their hardest to hurt us make me laugh as they have absolutely nothing better to do in their pathetic boring lives but to start lies and smear campaigns because they are miserable human beings.

And if anyone thinks Iím lying, feel free to look at the police report."

They sent a pic that I have attached.


Woodsy

When the Dive is headed to Braun Bay, it comes right by the house...I could kayak faster than it's rate of speed. I know how difficult my pontoon is to handle in winds like that, so if the situation arises that you need to take shelter, feel free..as long as you invite me on board![emoji6]Attachment 15071

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Reilly 07-09-2019 04:41 AM

Lsp
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 314787)
The were down at Lakeshore Park for a private party there....

I don't know of any "reverse" problems, but maybe? I do know the owners usually make a "Game Day" call on leaving the dock for a sandbar.

I can say they were at Braun Bay for the 4th and did a BANGING business! There was a line to get on the boat ALL DAY!


Woodsy

They did the same at Lake Shore Park, Lines all day & nite, Thats why it was still there in morn, everyone had a great time

jeffk 07-09-2019 07:15 AM

It's an amusing aspect of human nature how many people can witness an event and report completely different accounts of what happened. The police run into this all the time. You can try to tally up common elements from the different witnesses and assume those are likely to be factual but it isn't unusual for these "facts" to be totally wrong.

It's not only that we see different things based on our positioning or the lighting, etc. but we also have our own frame of reference and biases. As soon as we see something we start to interpret it and soon the interpretation creeps into our reporting. Something being large and moving toward you can seem "out of control". Something being in an unusual place can be "dangerous". Simply the possibility that something "could have gone wrong" can seem that it "was" going wrong.

Thanks for the input from the folks on the Dive who were in the best position to report. The marine patrol judgement of the incident is also useful.

swnoel 07-09-2019 07:25 AM

It only proves what many people have said...there are shoreline property owners that are Aholes.

fatlazyless 07-09-2019 07:32 AM

...... what, NO ANCHOR?
 
Should a Lake Winnipesaukee party barge have a regular anchor and anchor line on board or go with the two 20' long tree trunks, known as spuds positioned up front? Knowing what they now know about using their two spuds up front, seems The Dive wants to have an appropriate anchor and anchor line for windy situations and the like. After all it is a large barge, size 24' x 62", weighing a whole heck of a lot of weight, so seems the Marine Patrol should recommend it go get an anchor ..... all things considered.

All across the lake, it is very common for the lake bottom to be irregular in depth and covered with many rocks and small boulders of irregular size, so having two large wood spuds up front and an appropriate anchor and anchor line on the stern would be three points of stability, and make for a better grip on the lake bottom as needed due to wind and weather.

If a barge similar in size to The Dive was used by the Coast Guard, Navy or Army Corps of Engineers for some type of barge, construction work, would it be equipped with an anchor? Most likely, yes, me-thinks(?) or else it would be accompanied by a tender boat, something like a tug boat, that does have a suitable anchor.

Dave R 07-09-2019 07:33 AM

Not carrying an anchor seems like a really bad plan for a vessel like that. That thing should have a huge anchor and all-chain rode, IMO.

Seaplane Pilot 07-09-2019 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 314876)
Lovethelake..... I did just that! I reached out to the owners of the Dive, I know them to be pretty nice people. This was their reply....

"So the real story is, we were just seeking shelter from the storm, it wasnít that bad but with the winds gusting we could barely power through the waves at just over headway speed, about 4 mph. With the gusting winds we decided it would be best to seek shelter in a cove and to wait out the storm. So we drove into the cove by Smith Point. We were absolutely under control. We were at least 25í off of shore and dropped our spuds to wait out the storm. Unfortunately, our front spud got caught in the rocky terrain, our rear spud was unable to reach as it was way deeper than 16í.., so we spun to a point where the the front spud was slightly tweaked. This was a problem and we quickly solved with tools on board for such a problem.

In the meantime, a woman and her husband came out to her dock to hurl profanities at us in front of 16 old children. Saying and I quote ď Are you fuc@$ng kidding meĒ ď get the fu$& out of hereĒ (We have this on video) I promptly called the MP, to advise them of our situation (seeking shelter in the cove and the people acting like jerks) I for one would ALWAYS offer to help anyone in a storm situation... not yell obscenities!


Ultimately the marine patrol and a state police officer came to see me and them at my request because of the obscenities that were being hurled ( which we have recorded). We were told by the MP that we did absolutely nothing wrong and that the miserable people yelling were told they donít own the lake. Even the MPís had to take shelter which they also told us.

For the record...

A) We donít anchor.. we donít even carry anchors. We spud.

B) Iíve never ever been over 5.5 MPH, so I have no idea how in high headway winds we could have been traveling in a unsafe speed.

The haters and the liars who have trying their hardest to hurt us make me laugh as they have absolutely nothing better to do in their pathetic boring lives but to start lies and smear campaigns because they are miserable human beings.

And if anyone thinks Iím lying, feel free to look at the police report."

They sent a pic that I have attached.


Woodsy

Thanks for clearing up theĒFAKE NEWSĒ Woodsy!

The Real BigGuy 07-09-2019 08:13 AM

Thanks Woody. Good to know there was, apparently, only minor spud damage. But, I agree with others, an emergency anchor might be a good idea. Good owners (it sounds like Dive owners are) learn from problems. I bet they already are addressing it.

On some shorefront owners being a-holes: I agree but, so are some boat owners, some off lake owners, some drivers, some posters, etc. That is the reality of life. I used to say ďbusiness would be great if I didnít have to deal with customers.Ē Some people just suck.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

exlakesregioner 07-09-2019 08:24 AM

So the Dive owners give their side of the story and people who witnessed it give theirs, video/photos should be available by both...what's the real story? Boated on the lakes for a few years as a lakefront owner and everyone should be aware of weather conditions and be helpful in stormy times. I had people ask me to go try to retrieve their boats in nasty conditions that broke away, I wouldn't even attempt to row out to unhook the boat, never mind trying to chase one down the lake. Have been on the "Mount" that had to alter course in one of those nasty times in the broads, people have to give and take at those times. Safety first at all times.

C-Bass 07-09-2019 08:24 AM

If they were throwing their spuds out there, now wonder they got a all messed up out there trying to anchor with a sack of potatoes tied to a rope.

thinkxingu 07-09-2019 08:32 AM

Just a note that there appears to be two people posting about their observations (Momo, member for over a year and Lovehtelake [sic], brand new member), not just one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

LIforrelaxin 07-09-2019 09:37 AM

Woodsy, thanks for reaching out to the owners of the Dive....

Sounds like they where trying to do the right thing, and seek shelter from the storm. But ran into some complications. Spuds are great by they do indeed have to be long enough to reach bottom.

As for anchors as others have suggested, yes they would be a good idea. But remember they have to be sizable enough to do something. Which in the case of the Dive, may mean something big enough that it is not going to be something someone can manually move around, and thus the Dive would need to be redesigned to support.

The Dive at best is an experiment. There are going to be flaws that become obvious over time. And hopefully the commitment of the owners will be such that they will work to make improvements, and who knows may start work on a DIVE II....

I give them credit for their ambition. I think People need to relax, and not jump to conclusions. I doubt very much, that the Dive, wants to put anyone or their property at risk. They I would believe are doing the best they can. As I have mentioned in other threads, the vessel is under powered, that is difficulty #1... I am sure re-propping has helped. But ultimate a vessel that size doesn't need Horse Power, it needs Torque, I think there best bet is to look for an auxiliary Tug, to move the vessel around... But that does cost $$$, and I am sure they are just hoping to get out from under all the start up costs they have had at this point......

ApS 07-09-2019 10:23 AM

What size anchor could have actually held that huge wind-driven box of a "structure"? :confused:

A "SEA-anchor" would have delayed their inevitable "landing".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 314780)
On its BEST day the Dive can't go faster than 5MPH..... They usually cruise at 4 MPH as they get way better fuel economy. So the claims of faster than "headway speed" are ludicrous! Perhaps it was a mechanical failure of some sort? (Their engine woes were well documented here last year). The Mount and its sisters have also had mechanical issues...
Perhaps it was a storm/wind issue... Either way, it will eventually all come out. Be happy nobody was hurt, nothing but the Dive was damaged (if there even was any damage those barges are pretty rugged). Woodsy

"Wind and storm issues".

Yup, beyond the control of the captain. :rolleye2:

Lovehtelake 07-09-2019 10:48 AM

We all said the exact same thing when we saw the crash:) You donít see things like that every day.

Now it is time to leave this negative thread.
Best wishes to all for a happy and safe summer!

Phantom 07-09-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exlakesregioner (Post 314906)
So the Dive owners give their side of the story and people who witnessed it give theirs, video/photos should be available by both...what's the real story? .

I believe if you reread -- the Dive has video which they shared with MP and had enough class to keep off their FB page.


(From original Letter posted by woodsy) -- > "Ultimately the marine patrol and a state police officer came to see me and them at my request because of the obscenities that were being hurled ( which we have recorded)."

Keep in mind -- The Dive doesn't have a responsibility to "Plead their case" here in the Forum !!

FlyingScot 07-09-2019 02:38 PM

Thanks, Woodsy, very helpful. A couple of questions come to mind:

It sounds like the Dive does not deny they hit the rocks. I look forward to seeing the video as others have suggested.

Going one step further than FLL and Dave, not only is it hard to understand why vessel of any significant size would not have an anchor, I am surprised it is not the law. Perhaps spuds are a loophole?

ishoot308 07-09-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 314938)
Thanks, Woodsy, very helpful. A couple of questions come to mind:

It sounds like the Dive does not deny they hit the rocks. I look forward to seeing the video as others have suggested.

Going one step further than FLL and Dave, not only is it hard to understand why vessel of any significant size would not have an anchor, I am surprised it is not the law. Perhaps spuds are a loophole?

I would be willing to bet that almost none of the large equipment barges on the lake have an anchor. They all use spuds and normally don't venture out whatsoever when its windy. They simply cannot be controlled properly in the wind no matter how big they are!

I had a barge at my island home last week and can confirm it had no anchor...

Dan

fatlazyless 07-10-2019 09:29 AM

Was just wondering if modern U.S.Navy nuclear submarines, which are very large vessels, have an anchor, and do they ever use it for anchoring? Seems like it would be highly unusual for a sub to be hooked to the bottom of the ocean while the sub was itself underwater.

Oh well, if a sub has an anchor and probably never uses it, then an anchor can be considered to be an item that is better to have and not use.

Applying dis tinking to The Dive ..... is better for The Dive to have an anchor and not need it, than to need an anchor and not have it!

Correctimondo!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.