Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hawk Helicopters flying low over Winni. (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23960)

welch-time 10-29-2018 08:14 PM

HH-60 Pave Hawk Helicopters flying low over Winni.

We had our own little airshow in front of our place a few weeks ago. I thought I'd share.

Enjoy.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hRwykNLlsj4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/hRwykNLlsj4

Mark

MAXUM 10-29-2018 08:30 PM

Pretty cool - those are H-60s.

Airedale1 10-29-2018 08:40 PM

Wow! Very cool!

welch-time 10-29-2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 304009)
Pretty cool - those are H-60s.

Thanks. Corrected.

steve-on-mark 10-29-2018 09:24 PM

I watched them from Mark...think there were 3 at one time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Woody38 10-29-2018 10:04 PM

I remember seeing these helicopters flying from Meredith towards Governors.
What a sight. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

fatlazyless 10-30-2018 05:48 AM

They need to take those three helicopters back to the dealer where they bought them, and get the mufflers fixed, because those mufflers aint working right. Does it even have a muffler? How loud ....... like very very very loud ..... easily heard from a mile away while inside the house .... must be extremely loud from inside the helicopter while flying that they cannot hear themselves think?

Surreptitious stealthy flying ...... not like this!

Overlake97 10-30-2018 06:02 AM

Why so low?

Wonder why they were flying/hovering so low? Did I see photographic flashes at one point? Anyone have any ideas about this?

joey2665 10-30-2018 06:29 AM

That’s is so cool. Great video. I had seen a different type of helicopter flying over Paugus this past Thursday afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

lakershaker 10-30-2018 07:23 AM

Actually, HH60 Pave Hawk

Those are actually HH-60 Pave Hawk - you can tell by the refueling boom. They are used by USAF special forces, primarily PJ's for personnel recovery in hostile combat zones. There used to be a group based in upstate NY that would do training on the lake 15 years ago or so. From what I heard, the commanding officer's family had a place on the lake, and he got to decide where training locations would take place. So naturally, he chose the lake! They would drop rescue swimmers and rubber rafts, and "assault" islands at night to practice, and then the helos would stay at Laconia during the day. Maybe they pulled the old locations out of the file to try them out again!

swnoel 10-30-2018 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakershaker (Post 304026)
Those are actually HH-60 Pave Hawk - you can tell by the refueling boom. They are used by USAF special forces, primarily PJ's for personnel recovery in hostile combat zones. There used to be a group based in upstate NY that would do training on the lake 15 years ago or so. From what I heard, the commanding officer's family had a place on the lake, and he got to decide where training locations would take place. So naturally, he chose the lake! They would drop rescue swimmers and rubber rafts, and "assault" islands at night to practice, and then the helos would stay at Laconia during the day. Maybe they pulled the old locations out of the file to try them out again!

I expected to see the boys dropping out into the water...

P-3 Guy 10-30-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlake97 (Post 304022)
Wonder why they were flying/hovering so low?

Normal training.

Quote:

Did I see photographic flashes at one point? Anyone have any ideas about this?
Anti-smash strobes that are standard equipment on most aircraft.

iw8surf 10-30-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swnoel (Post 304029)
I expected to see the boys dropping out into the water...

I was hoping to see that too. I have a good friend who pilots one of those for search and rescue in the Air Force. He jokes its like sitting on a washer machine for 12 hours. :laugh:

Woody38 10-30-2018 10:52 AM

They are extremely loud. Here, in MA, military copters fly over the house. Can be heard coming from quite a distance and the whole house shudders when they are overhead.

-------------------------------------------------------

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

MAXUM 10-30-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 304020)
They need to take those three helicopters back to the dealer where they bought them, and get the mufflers fixed, because those mufflers aint working right. Does it even have a muffler? How loud ....... like very very very loud ..... easily heard from a mile away while inside the house .... must be extremely loud from inside the helicopter while flying that they cannot hear themselves think?

Surreptitious stealthy flying ...... not like this!

Actually FLL the noise generated from those is mostly coming from the rotors contact with the air as they rotate and create turbulence. The engines themselves are "relatively" quiet in comparison. The size, shape, speed and carrying load have direct effects on the sound they produce. This is why their sound is so distinctive as well. There have been advances in engineering to reduce the overall noise of the blades as they interact with the air around them.

I've actually ridden in the Navy's version of the H-60 on several occasions and it's not that bad with ear muffs on and the side doors closed. ;)

ITD 10-30-2018 03:07 PM

That's the sound of freedom.

Phantom 10-31-2018 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlake97 (Post 304022)
Wonder why they were flying/hovering so low? Anyone have any ideas about this?

When I saw it I wondered the EXACT same thing ………. only conclusion I came to was they were running the bird through their version of a car wash before returning to base :D :D :D :laugh: :laugh:

gravy boat 10-31-2018 04:48 PM

Alton bay

Not choppers seen today but 2 C-130s flying low above Alton Bay today toward Wolfeboro. So neat to see them so low and up close!

welch-time 11-01-2018 02:38 PM

A C-130 buzzed right over my place on Welch in June.
Had to be flying around 200-300 ft. Really shook the place.
I watched it flash past through the trees. Holy crap. To see something that big go by that fast got my attention.
So do these guys have any sort of flight plan or do they just get to do whatever they want?
Perhaps they were buzzing my neighbor as a special request.

upthesaukee 11-01-2018 04:12 PM

Military Operations Area

Quote:

Originally Posted by welch-time (Post 304102)
A C-130 buzzed right over my place on Welch in June.
Had to be flying around 200-300 ft. Really shook the place.
I watched it flash past through the trees. Holy crap. To see something that big go by that fast got my attention.
So do these guys have any sort of flight plan or do they just get to do whatever they want?
Perhaps they were buzzing my neighbor as a special request.

There is a Military Operations Area that extends from the Lakes Region to the White Mountains. This area is published in FAA flight documents and charts. The military aircraft are operating under Visual Flight Rules VFR.

It has been going on for years. Quite active this summer. Two C130s made a couple of passes from Alton Bay to the NW about a half hour apart yesterday while we were stacking wood. Neat to watch them through the trees.

Dave

Riviera 11-02-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 304105)
There is a Military Operations Area that extends from the Lakes Region to the White Mountains.

That's correct, but very little of the Military Operations Area is over Lake Winni. It just touches the tip of Meredith Bay, and covers Center Harbor bay. Most of it is north of there. The Miltary Operations Areas are simply a warning to civilian aircraft that the military routinely practices in those areas, and that there is a somewhat enhanced danger of flying through those areas, due to higher speed military aircraft maneuvers.

With certain restrictions, low level flight over Winni is open to military and civilian alike, with both operating under visual flight rules, and both having same obligation to see and avoid other aircraft.