Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Tales (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lakers (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21122)

ishoot308 08-22-2016 10:39 AM

Lakers

Grab your jig pole and head out to deep water as the lakers are stacking up quickly! Went out on Saturday morning and we did very well in just a couple hours of fishing. Bring your kids too as there is plenty of action to keep them interested and its pretty easy for them to do!

Good luck!

Dan

kawishiwi 08-22-2016 10:57 AM

And, where did you say...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 267775)
Grab you jig pole and head out to deep water as the lakers are stacking up quickly! Went out on Saturday morning and we did very well in just a couple hours of fishing. Bring your kids too as there is plenty of action to keep them interested and its pretty easy for them to do!

Good luck!

Dan

...you were fishing?:D
Any clues for us rookies?

ishoot308 08-22-2016 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawishiwi (Post 267776)
...you were fishing?:D
Any clues for us rookies?

Winnipesaukee...deep water. 😉😉

townsde 08-23-2016 06:51 AM

What type of jig works? What color? What weight? I will give it a try this week

ishoot308 08-23-2016 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by townsde (Post 267873)
What type of jig works? What color? What weight? I will give it a try this week

A split body jointed jig with a single treble hook in 1 ounce works well. Color varies day by day but I have always had good luck with anything that looks like bait fish in the lake such as rainbow smelt color, shiner color and white has worked well for me.

Good luck!

Dan

bigdog 08-23-2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 267875)
A split body jointed jig with a single treble hook in 1 ounce works well. Color varies day by day but I have always had good luck with anything that looks like bait fish in the lake such as rainbow smelt color, shiner color and white has worked well for me.

Good luck!

Dan

How deep are you jigging? My understanding about jigging for trout, you drop jig near the bottom, then raise up 2-3 feet. Now you raise (jig) lurer up, let it drop down, then repeat. If you're jigging deep water, you'd need a lot of line!

Do I understand jigging correctly ?

townsde 08-24-2016 06:34 AM

Jigging Tutorial

I found some good info at the following URL on this subject. I am going to give it a try this weekend.

http://cayugafisher.net/pages/jiggin...ackle_jigs.php

ishoot308 08-24-2016 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 267933)
How deep are you jigging? My understanding about jigging for trout, you drop jig near the bottom, then raise up 2-3 feet. Now you raise (jig) lurer up, let it drop down, then repeat. If you're jigging deep water, you'd need a lot of line!

Do I understand jigging correctly ?

Anywhere from 80'- 140' and it must be calm on the water! Send jig down to bottom, bounce off bottom a couple times, reel up a couple feet and jig, repeat until you come up through stacked lakers seen on fish finder screen. Lakers are normally stacked from bottom to 40' off bottom. A standard spinning reel with a 20 lb super braid as your main line with 10' of 15 lb fluorocarbon as a leader. You want to minimize stretch as much as possible. I use a Mitchell 300 reel on a 7' Fenwick medium power graphite spinning rod. Great fun bringing them in on this light tackle...

Dan

Rattlesnake Gal 08-24-2016 12:26 PM

Pics?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 267775)
Grab your jig pole and head out to deep water as the lakers are stacking up quickly! Went out on Saturday morning and we did very well in just a couple hours of fishing. Bring your kids too as there is plenty of action to keep them interested and its pretty easy for them to do!

Good luck!

Dan

Hi Dan!
Hope you're having a great summer! I sure am! (Still at the island! :D) I really don't fish, but enjoy seeing pictures of what other people catch. Do you have some to share with us?
Thanks!
Cel

ishoot308 08-24-2016 12:50 PM

Ok!!

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal (Post 267984)
Hi Dan!
Hope you're having a great summer! I sure am! (Still at the island! :D) I really don't fish, but enjoy seeing pictures of what other people catch. Do you have some to share with us?
Thanks!
Cel

Hi R-Gal!

Glad your having a good summer!

Here's one from a few weeks back...It's a friend of ours son who lives in Stewartstown, NH. He had never been to Lake Winnipesaukee so I took him fishing for a few hours one afternoon. This is one of four salmon (this is the biggest) he caught and was absolutely thrilled! He kept this one to show his dad as his dad had to work and could not make it down.

Watching his face as he landed this fish and the joy he had when he called his father to tell him all about it was priceless!!

Dan

ishoot308 08-24-2016 12:54 PM

Here's a Video

Not quite Winni lake related, BUT this "lakes region" resident went on a fishing trip to Lake Ontario a couple weeks ago. Here's a video I shot of that trip.
Put your youtube settings on high definition and let the video load then turn up the volume for maximum experience! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp_Pv-lu1Z4

It's only the second video I have ever made so be kind! :eek:

Dan

pjard 08-24-2016 05:51 PM

I have to try this...been trolling for a few years now but I have never done this. Does the time of day matter like it does for Salmon?

ishoot308 08-25-2016 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjard (Post 268021)
I have to try this...been trolling for a few years now but I have never done this. Does the time of day matter like it does for Salmon?

I have had my best luck at sunrise...

Dan

Rattlesnake Gal 08-25-2016 10:48 AM

Wow!

Thanks for the pic and video, Dan! You made my day! The Wnni fish is huge and the Ontario trip looks epic! Well done! :D