Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Mixing gas additives ? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21321)

bigdog 09-28-2016 11:51 AM

Mixing gas additives ?

Are there any issues mixing gas additives in the gas ?

I have been adding Star-Tron to gas, all during the season...

I'm having the motor winterized by Marina, and I believe they use Sta-Bil blue.

Are there any issues having two different additives in the gas ?

Thanks !

SAB1 09-28-2016 12:10 PM

I'm not an expert but I have not had a problem as of yet. I also use Star - tron. I have been buying all my gas on the water the past couple years which already has an additive in it.

ishoot308 09-28-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 270270)

Thanks !

No, none whatsoever...

Dan

Rich 09-28-2016 01:54 PM

I use Star-Tron also, all year with every fill up.

I remember seeing a note from them that it is compatible with other additives, but I can't find a 'FAQ' on their new website.
http://www.starbrite.com/startron

But there is a left over FAQ on their old web site here:
http://www.starbrite.co.za/faq.html
Quote:

I'd like to use Star Tron when I fill up the tank, but having used other additives before I'd like to know if Star Tron is compatible

Star tron is compatible to any kind of additives you have used previously without any danger.

HellRaZoR004 09-28-2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAB1 (Post 270271)
I'm not an expert but I have not had a problem as of yet. I also use Star - tron. I have been buying all my gas on the water the past couple years which already has an additive in it.

Unfortunately this is not true everywhere. For instance, MVYC does not add additive, they do sell the bottles though.

DesertDweller 09-28-2016 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 (Post 270284)
Unfortunately this is not true everywhere. For instance, MVYC does not add additive, they do sell the bottles though.

I would recommend getting the ValvTect gas whenever possible. There are a bunch of marinas on the Lake that carry it. In addition to the additives they test the storage tanks periodically as well.

ishoot308 09-28-2016 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 (Post 270284)

Correct, Fays does not add stabilizer either or at least when I asked this spring they confirmed they did not.

Dan

DRH 09-28-2016 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 270270)

Thanks !

I've been using both Star-Tron and Sta-Bil Blue (Marine) together for years and have never had a problem.

rick35 09-28-2016 07:14 PM

I was advised by a marina service manager to use both as they do a better job together than individually.

SAB1 09-28-2016 07:50 PM

Interesting. I thought all the marinas used the valve tech now. Glad to know they don't so I keep my eye out though I really always use Lanes End and trexlers

Hillcountry 09-28-2016 08:08 PM

So, being a big fan of Startron and always filling the toon with Valvetect, do I need to add anything to my tank for storage or is the Valvetect adequate?
This is new territory for me as I haven't had a boat for over 30 years...
I suppose dumping a bottle of Startron in wouldn't hurt...

SAB1 09-29-2016 04:53 AM

Startron also is a stabilizer. I thrown in the recommended amount for offseason storage as described on the label when I fill up for the last time and let it run to get it thru carbs.

SAMIAM 09-29-2016 07:42 AM

I don't use stabilizer during the season....only when I put everything away.
I add Startron to the jet ski's and run them for a few minutes before storage.
Don't do any other maintenance other than hooking up trickle chargers because they are stored in a heated garage.
I try to run the gas down in the fall so I can start with a fresh tank in the spring.
'So far,it's worked well.

robmac 09-29-2016 08:11 AM

I use star tron in every tank of fuel and also gas for sleds race car and yard eqiupment and never an issue.

DesertDweller 09-29-2016 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 270306)
So, being a big fan of Startron and always filling the toon with Valvetect, do I need to add anything to my tank for storage or is the Valvetect adequate?
This is new territory for me as I haven't had a boat for over 30 years...
I suppose dumping a bottle of Startron in wouldn't hurt...

The ValvTect website says their gas is good for a year. I have a Yamaha outboard and still put their conditioner/stabilizing when I add gas. Probably not necessary but for a few extra bucks it makes me feel better.

Hillcountry 09-29-2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertDweller (Post 270321)
The ValvTect website says their gas is good for a year. I have a Yamaha outboard and still put their conditioner/stabilizing when I add gas. Probably not necessary but for a few extra bucks it makes me feel better.

I have a Yamaha 150 too...I will add some Startron after the last outing on Columbus Day. Between that and the Valvetect it should be fine til Spring.

Rangervx 10-13-2016 06:45 AM

30+ years exp with engines...not a problem

VitaBene 10-14-2016 03:18 AM

Ambrose Cove adds Startron, but I still add Stabil. Never had a problem.