Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Island Support Service & Lamprey Suburban Septic (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24760)

JMR 07-23-2019 08:19 PM

Island Support Service & Lamprey Suburban Septic

Over the Fourth of July holiday, we had septic system issues. We also had 11 people here when the problem presented itself. I called Island Support Services, which, like everyone else, was closed until Monday. Nonetheless an employee called me back and promised to come to Rattlesnake Monday morning to pump the system. They called Monday morning to confirm their arrival. They also hooked me up with Lamprey. Before noon on Monday my system was pumped and Lamprey was coming Tuesday morning.

Both companies responded quickly and efficiently. Since I had no prior relationship with either company, I was surprised and delighted. Having dealt with various service providers on the lake for last twelve years, I did not expect much in the way of service.

I can not recommend both companies enough!

lakershaker 07-24-2019 06:55 AM

Thumbs up for ISS

We had a similar situation last year, and Chip at ISS and Lamprey were awesome! We use Chip and ISS for our opening and closing, as well as anything else that comes up during the year. Have also used them for smaller construction/renovation projects. They do a great job, and having them around makes it easier for us to live in CT and still enjoy our place on Rattlesnake.

jbolty 07-24-2019 11:10 AM

Thanks for the positive review.

Many, myself included, are quick to complain but all too often overlook sharing the good experiences.

JMR 07-24-2019 03:54 PM

Oops, clarity required

It was Island Service Company that did the pumping with their septic barge. Tanner and his helper were great to work with. Hope there is no confusion

rlamprey 07-24-2019 06:16 PM

Thank you very much

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Little Bear 07-24-2019 06:51 PM

I had the exact same problem last weekend. Septic pump “crapped” out. Island Service Company (from Meredith) came this morning to pump the tanks. Then Lamprey’s guys came this afternoon to replace the pump and float switch. Fantastic service, and hard working, professional people from both companies. Really impressed that they were able to do this only 2 days after the initial call. Thanks to both companies!

rlamprey 07-24-2019 07:18 PM

Thank you! Glad we could help [emoji4]

ishoot308 07-24-2019 07:32 PM

Two Thumbs Up!

Island Service has done some great emergency work for me in the past on Welch island as well! They recently pumped my septic tank a couple weeks ago. Good company with good employees!!

Dan

Denny Crane 07-25-2019 06:10 AM

Septic System Emergency

Just curious, what are the different causes a septic system emergency that I could expect down the road? I pump my septic out once a year which I guess in overkill but it's worked for me for 10 years. Do some people wait until it's full and backing up before they pump it out? Yes, Lamprey is outstanding. After our home inspection they came back and fixed a part they saw we needed at no additional cost and now have a customer for life.

lakershaker 07-25-2019 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny Crane (Post 316039)
Just curious, what are the different causes a septic system emergency that I could expect down the road? I pump my septic out once a year which I guess in overkill but it's worked for me for 10 years. Do some people wait until it's full and backing up before they pump it out? Yes, Lamprey is outstanding. After our home inspection they came back and fixed a part they saw we needed at no additional cost and now have a customer for life.

Our problem was related to our septic tank being at a higher elevation from our home. We have a septic pump under the camp that pumps uphill to the septic tank. We then have another pump there that pumps up to the leach field. The pump under the camp burned out and we started to get back-up in the pipes.

Lamprey came out quickly, had the right equipment and the right replacement, and we were back up and running.

As for pumping out, since we only use our place in the summer, and then mostly on weekends, we waited about 7 years for the first pump out. That was probably too long, but we didn't have any issues. Now we'll probably stay with a 3 year pumpout cycle.

The Real BigGuy 07-25-2019 07:04 AM

Island Support Service & Lamprey Suburban Septic

For a “right sized” (based on occupancy) tank with year round use, normal pumpout cycle is 3 yrs. My tank was right sized for two adults/two children. We now have 5 adults. My septic company suggested pumpouts every year based on increased usage. Don’t know if this was salesmanship or not but, I took the advice because I don’t want “emergencies.”

My first pumpout for the Island was 15 years (used mostly weekends during the summer) and never had any problems. (I pump about 125 feet uphill to the leach field). When we pumped with ISS we combined with a neighbor and saved 1/2 the transit cost. They did a great job.

ishoot308 07-25-2019 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny Crane (Post 316039)

In my case, I have a "pump up" system and the pump went bad. They (Island Services) came out, pumped my tank, replaced the pump, replaced all the wiring and junction box and added an alarm system so if the pump ever fails again I will know about it immediately. They did all this in one day for a fair price and very short notice! Treated me very well!

Dan

Descant 07-25-2019 11:32 AM

alarm

The alarm is a great idea.
I had a failure several years ago. Loose wire sent 220 v to the pump instead of 110 v and fried it, along with every light bulb in the building Of course this was a Saturday afternoon, lots of company. A guest identified the electrical problem, I hand bailed the concrete pump containment vessel, so I could remove the pump. Filled every barrel and wastebasket we had, so as not to put all that waste on the ground. Off to HD in Tilton for a pump (this was before Lowe's in Gilford). Whole operation took only a few hours, mostly travel time to Tilton. This was before contractors were generally available for islands. We started using HP Island Construction out of Meredith because they had cleaning services that others had dropped. They've been very good to us, everything from replacing rotted sills to a weekend service call for a failed water heater. They have a key and do work when we're not there, so no interference. (603) 387-4992.

Descant 07-25-2019 12:03 PM

alarm

The alarm is a great idea.
I had a failure several years ago. Loose wire sent 220 v to the pump instead of 110 v and fried it, along with every light bulb in the building Of course this was a Saturday afternoon, lots of company. A guest identified the electrical problem, I hand bailed the concrete pump containment vessel, so I could remove the pump. Filled every barrel and wastebasket we had, so as not to put all that waste on the ground. Off to HD in Tilton for a pump (this was before Lowe's in Gilford). Whole operation took only a few hours, mostly travel time to Tilton. This was before contractors were generally available for islands. We started using HP Island Construction out of Meredith because they had cleaning services that others had dropped. They've been very good to us, everything from replacing rotted sills to a weekend service call for a failed water heater. They have a key and do work when we're not there, so no interference. (603) 387-4992.