Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Angry Hog BBQ on the Pier @ Winnipesaukee (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24416)

joey2665 05-13-2019 09:10 AM

Angry Hog BBQ on the Pier @ Winnipesaukee

https://www.facebook.com/AngryHogBar...type=3&theater

Sad news I went there quite a few times last summer and really enjoyed their food and convenience. Also I found the staff to be extremely nice and accommodating.

AC2717 05-13-2019 09:57 AM

If this helps your craving:

I hit Up the BBQ shack on rt 104 (the old aggregate stone entrance) was amazing and the owner (pit master) was an awsome person let us sample things and even got my wife to eat BBQ and she is not a fan.

Rubbin Butts in Center Harbor - easy boat access is good as well

Can anyone tell me where the guy from rt 104 the Moccasin Shop went?

joey2665 05-13-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 311330)
If this helps your craving:

I hit Up the BBQ shack on rt 104 (the old aggregate stone entrance) was amazing and the owner (pit master) was an awsome person let us sample things and even got my wife to eat BBQ and she is not a fan.

Rubbin Butts in Center Harbor - easy boat access is good as well

Can anyone tell me where the guy from rt 104 the Moccasin Shop went?

Thank you. I've been to Rubbin Butts and also Texas Smoke when they were on 104 and in the same spot as Angry Hog two years ago. I liked both although very different. I just miss someone in that spot as it is just a golf cart ride from my house. :) I also heard Longhorn in Belmont is very good.

AC2717 05-13-2019 10:28 AM

I think we need a list on the forum for BBQ - as the roadside guys can be hard to find

Andromeda321 05-13-2019 10:35 AM

If I'm ever going up hiking in the Whites I'll often stop at Yankee Smokehouse in West Ossippee. By that point of the drive I'm usually starving!

I like Rubbin Butts but wish they had a bit more of a space to sit down and eat food over just takeaway.

joey2665 05-13-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andromeda321 (Post 311336)
If I'm ever going up hiking in the Whites I'll often stop at Yankee Smokehouse in West Ossippee. By that point of the drive I'm usually starving!

I like Rubbin Butts but wish they had a bit more of a space to sit down and eat food over just takeaway.

I've been to Yankee Smokehouse a few times over the years, they are ok but Rubbin BUtts and Texas Smoke are better. Texas Smoke was hard to find after he left the pier and the spot on 104 and the store prior in Laconia. Not sure if he will be around this season either.

AC2717 05-13-2019 01:05 PM

Texas Smoke was the one at the moccasin shop, so where is he now

but I'm telling you the BBQ shack further down 104 closer to 93 is worth the stop

thinkxingu 05-13-2019 01:51 PM

Will have to check the place down from Texas Smokehouse, as I wasn't blown away there.

Rubbin' Butts was awesome, great, good, not-so-good. Not sure I'll be going back, which is too bad because it's five minutes from camp.

Yankee Smokehouse = always good and perfect post-hike location.

*Goody Cole's in Brentwood = yum!
*KC'S Rib Shack in Bedford = yum!
*Smokehaus in Amherst = yum!
*Smoke Show in Concord = yum, but difficult to order (by the pound).
*Gabby's in Londonderry = yum!
*Riverside in Nashua = yum (though there was a period of not-so-yum last year).
*Willie Jewells in Nashua = chain, meh.
* In a Pig's Ear in Lincoln, NH = meh. A serving of Texas toast there is half a slice.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

joey2665 05-13-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 311350)
Texas Smoke was the one at the moccasin shop, so where is he now

but I'm telling you the BBQ shack further down 104 closer to 93 is worth the stop

Last season for a while he was on Route 3 just past the Meredith Police Station but by late season he was gone

8gv 05-13-2019 06:42 PM

Sonny's... Park Blvd., Pinellas Park, FL. AWESOME!

A bit of a drive though. :rolleye2:

Slickcraft 05-13-2019 07:54 PM

Black's you can have it shipped from Texas:
https://store.blacksbbq.com/storefront.aspx

joey2665 05-13-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 311396)

You can also have the Mighty Quinn BBQ shipped from NYC. Their BBQ is awesome and they have that huge bronto rib like the Flintstones. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Little Bear 05-14-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 311396)

I called Black’s today and ordered some Flintstone ribs. They were very accommodating & friendly, and gave a great story about their history in Texas. Looking forward to trying this out. I told the guy that I heard about them on this website, and that he might expect an influx of orders from the Lakes Region of NH. Thank you for the tip!

trfour 05-16-2019 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy National BBQ Day!!!!

Prestige Worldwide 05-18-2019 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 14897

A new BBQ place is opening at the Weirs Pier where angry hog bbq used to be. It’s called Smokin’ Phatty’s BBQ Joint. I spoke with the owner this morning. It sounds like he has a solid business plan.

joey2665 05-18-2019 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestige Worldwide (Post 311788)
Attachment 14897

A new BBQ place is opening at the Weirs Pier where angry hog bbq used to be. It’s called Smokin’ Phatty’s BBQ Joint. I spoke with the owner this morning. It sounds like he has a solid business plan.

Let’s hope so. This is the third BBQ restaurant in this location in the past 3 years.

MBNeckguy 05-19-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestige Worldwide (Post 311788)
Attachment 14897

The name will be enough to keep some away, especially those with kids. Clever though. Hopefully the product is good. Will they do a Sunday brunch? If so will it serve hash?

joey2665 05-19-2019 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBNeckguy (Post 311804)
The name will be enough to keep some away, especially those with kids. Clever though. Hopefully the product is good. Will they do a Sunday brunch? If so will it serve hash?

Don’t really agree. It’s just a clever name and I do not think it will deter anyone. I think your reading too much into it.

Blyblvrd 05-19-2019 11:08 AM

Maybe they’re catering to the druggies down on the rail trail? Based on the forum sounds like there’s a huge group of potential customers...

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 05-19-2019 11:36 AM

I still think it's a horrible place for BBQ. Maybe I'm an overly complex BBQ eater, but I need a place to sit down, space to spread out my sides, and access to sauces and napkins, none of which are on the pier.

joey2665 05-19-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 311813)
I still think it's a horrible place for BBQ. Maybe I'm an overly complex BBQ eater, but I need a place to sit down, space to spread out my sides, and access to sauces and napkins, none of which are on the pier.

I do take out there. Bring it home which isn’t far or on the boat. They do have a few tables and a counter where you can eat.

thinkxingu 05-19-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 311815)
I do take out there. Bring it home which isn’t far or on the boat. They do have a few tables and a counter where you can eat.

Understood, but clearly your habits haven't been enough to keep the last two BBQ joints in business. I think it's more of a walking-food area, which isn't BBQ.

joey2665 05-19-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 311826)
Understood, but clearly your habits haven't been enough to keep the last two BBQ joints in business. I think it's more of a walking-food area, which isn't BBQ.

[emoji23][emoji23] no they aren’t. Can’t eat it more than once a week and there are too many choices in the area to go to the same place more than once a week. [emoji6]

thinkxingu 05-19-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 311827)
[emoji23][emoji23] no they aren’t. Can’t eat it more than once a week and there are too many choices in the area to go to the same place more than once a week. [emoji6]

Agreed on the once-a-week: good BBQ takes a lonnnggg time for the shame to dissipate!

SAMIAM 05-20-2019 06:17 AM

Went to a food fair this spring and ordered some ribs....no place to sit at all. Try eating ribs with only one hand and trying to balance your plate and a drink in the other...challanging

Prestige Worldwide 05-20-2019 06:52 AM

I told the new owner that I really liked the pulled pork Mac-n-cheese at Angry Hog last year. He said they will have it on the menu. It will be called SMOKIN’ A BOWL. (I am not joking)

Hillcountry 05-20-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestige Worldwide (Post 311871)
I told the new owner that I really liked the pulled pork Mac-n-cheese at Angry Hog last year. He said they will have it on the menu. It will be called SMOKIN’ A BOWL. (I am not joking)

Lol...should be a hit with the millennials and other pot advocates.

MBNeckguy 05-20-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 311807)
Don’t really agree. It’s just a clever name and I do not think it will deter anyone. I think your reading too much into it.

After reading post #26, am I still reading too much into it? I’m not offended by it personally, my point was that the business name and menu item names could be polarizing, especially for families with kids.

joey2665 05-20-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBNeckguy (Post 311904)
After reading post #26, am I still reading too much into it? I’m not offended by it personally, my point was that the business name and menu item names could be polarizing, especially for families with kids.

Sorry I think I understood your point I just don’t think it will be polarizing enough to hurt their business. But as we know this spot also has not been kind to the previous two BBQ joints. Pun intended. [emoji6]

thinkxingu 05-20-2019 01:35 PM

I wonder if they'll have hashed potatoes and baked beans?

thinkxingu 05-22-2019 05:54 AM

Not Angry Hog, but posted a few hours ago by Traveling Texas Smokehouse: "Opening for 2019 on June 6th 11am at 368 NH Rte 104 in New Hampton. Exit 23, half mile from highway next to the post office."

Wondering if the other BBQ place before him that opened up was taking his business.

joey2665 05-22-2019 06:05 AM

Could be looks like he is moving closer to 93 to be the first BBQ spot on 104 when you exit. I like his BBQ I wish his store in Laconia or the spot at the pier had worked for him. Best of luck!! This spot is a little far I won’t get there much.

thinkxingu 05-22-2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 312088)
Could be looks like he is moving closer to 93 to be the first BBQ spot on 104 when you exit. I like his BBQ I wish his store in Laconia or the spot at the pier had worked for him. Best of luck!! This spot is a little far I won’t get there much.

His location is just not right for us--when heading to camp, he's too early in our drive; when heading from camp, we're not looking to eat. I did stop once but wasn't totally impressed. The brisket was chopped and what little there was--they weighed to get it jusst right--fell out of the roll.

joey2665 05-22-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 312140)
His location is just not right for us--when heading to camp, he's too early in our drive; when heading from camp, we're not looking to eat. I did stop once but wasn't totally impressed. The brisket was chopped and what little there was--they weighed to get it jusst right--fell out of the roll.

I'm not a brisket person. The ribs are good and I really like his rib tips but he doesn't always have them as they go fast

thinkxingu 05-22-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 312141)
I'm not a brisket person.

Heathen.

joey2665 05-22-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 312145)
Heathen.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: More of an animal instinct. I like to eat off the bone of the ribs.

Hillcountry 05-22-2019 02:54 PM

We stopped at the “other” BBQ spot on 104 this afternoon after fishing. The BBQ SHAK...First time for us and it was delicious! We had the pulled pork sandwiches (he let us sample some first)
Nice guy too...let us sample some of the sauces as well. We will be back!
Too bad about the Texas Smokehouse moving back to 104 “in front” of the SHAK as I feel some will stop to eat and bypass the BBQ SHAK guy...his food really was top notch. Oh well.

thinkxingu 05-22-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 312156)
We stopped at the “other” BBQ spot on 104 this afternoon after fishing. The BBQ SHAK...First time for us and it was delicious! We had the pulled pork sandwiches (he let us sample some first)

Too bad about the Texas Smokehouse moving back to 104 “in front” of the SHAK as I feel some will stop to eat and bypass the BBQ SHAK guy...his food really was top notch. Oh well.

Texas homie was there first, though, so...

moose tracks 05-22-2019 03:25 PM

BBQ Shak

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 312156)

I agree with you on BBQ Shak. We stopped in a few times last summer and had a good meal each time. The owner, Scott makes his own sides and takes real pride in his smoked meats. He is far enough off the highway that it is pleasant to eat there on his outdoor tables. We will stop there again this season.

Hillcountry 05-22-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 312160)
Texas homie was there first, though, so...

Yes he was...and I liked his food as well but it seems he doesn't know where to "drop anchor" and be a solid business...keeps pulling up stakes and leaving us wondering where the hell he will turn up next.

Hillcountry 05-22-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moose tracks (Post 312163)
I agree with you on BBQ Shak. We stopped in a few times last summer and had a good meal each time. The owner, Scott makes his own sides and takes real pride in his smoked meats. He is far enough off the highway that it is pleasant to eat there on his outdoor tables. We will stop there again this season.

Yup...no question where we will stop next time!

AC2717 05-23-2019 09:27 AM

Business idea, much like a food truck app - a BBQ master locator app:D

thinkxingu 08-09-2019 03:36 PM

Angry Hog actually open? Windows always look boarded up.

Also, sounds like there's trouble a'brewin' between the two BBQ places on 104.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 08-09-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 317192)
Angry Hog actually open? Windows always look boarded up.

Also, sounds like there's trouble a'brewin' between the two BBQ places on 104.

Angry Hog did not open this season it was replaced by Smokin Phatty but it does not seem to be open on a regular basis.

thinkxingu 08-09-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 317196)
Angry Hog did not open this season it was replaced by Smokin Phatty but it does not seem to be open on a regular basis.

Right, I knew that (about Phatty). Anyone know what's up with their hours?

joey2665 08-09-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 317199)
Right, I knew that (about Phatty). Anyone know what's up with their hours?

No website but their Facebook page says 11:00am to 11:00pm

jbolty 08-09-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 317196)

I walked down there to check it out a couple weeks ago and it was boarded up. Forget what day but common sense would seem to be having a sign with the actual days and hours but there was nothing and a sign up on the boardwalk had specials listed for bike week so who knows.

Hillcountry 08-09-2019 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 317202)
I walked down there to check it out a couple weeks ago and it was boarded up. Forget what day but common sense would seem to be having a sign with the actual days and hours but there was nothing and a sign up on the boardwalk had specials listed for bike week so who knows.

Must be too busy (or wasted) smoking fatties...

Rich 07-19-2021 07:27 AM

Just an FYI:

If you want some BBQ, Angry Hog BBQ is open again this year (2021) but in Meredith and running out of a Food truck / trailer.

https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...af&oe=60FA5EC3

He's just next door to the Hermit Woods Winery and directly across from the Frog Rock.

If you like to go by boat, tie up at the Meredith docks, then walk directly up the hill between the hotel and "Camp" restaurant, he's just on the right at the top of the hill.

https://angryhogbbq.com/

https://www.facebook.com/AngryHogBarbecue

It's setup in a sort of green space/park with an outdoor setting, it's quite nice! The winery also has a nice outdoor bar setup there, so you can also get a nice 'craft' beer or wine slushy to go with your BBQ. I was surprised how good their rhubarb wine slushy tasted on a hot day (not too sweet and just tart enough)!

Because of the venue, open hours and his menu may vary due to weather and other factors.

thinkxingu 07-19-2021 07:37 AM

Thanks for the update, Rich—that might actually be a fine place to stop on the way to/from camp.

What's the parking like? Is it just the on-street spaces? I've not been back there in a while and can't remember if there was a public lot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Overlake97 07-20-2021 09:18 AM

Parking near Angry Hog BBQ truck

Besides the on-street parking spaces, there are actually quite a few public (I think) parking slots in two lots behind Frog Rock, connected by a bridge. Also, the upper parking lot for Mill Falls is right behind the Angry Hog truck location.

thinkxingu 07-20-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlake97 (Post 359023)
Besides the on-street parking spaces, there are actually quite a few public (I think) parking slots in two lots behind Frog Rock, connected by a bridge. Also, the upper parking lot for Mill Falls is right behind the Angry Hog truck location.

Awesome, thanks!

XCR-700 07-21-2021 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 359024)
Awesome, thanks!

Gotta LOVE Bbq accessible by boat!

Does it get any better than grabbing a slab of ribs to eat on the swim platform,,,

Winnipesaukee living at its finest.

thinkxingu 07-21-2021 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR-700 (Post 359121)
Gotta LOVE Bbq accessible by boat!

Does it get any better than grabbing a slab of ribs to eat on the swim platform,,,

Winnipesaukee living at its finest.

I gotta disagree with you here—too messy and not enough places to set out the sides. I prefer a nice wide picnic or wood table, preferably outside in the trees, to spread out.

XCR-700 07-21-2021 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 359124)
I gotta disagree with you here—too messy and not enough places to set out the sides. I prefer a nice wide picnic or wood table, preferably outside in the trees, to spread out.

you either have too many people on your swim platform or too small a platform.

Send the kids to the table and enjoy life with your feet dangling in the blissful waters of Winnipesaukee and enjoy life.

If your fingers get a bit too sticky, just dip them in the water and let the fish wish they were humans with Bbq ribs for dinner ;-)

And dont forget, dogs love Bbq.

https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...72&oe=60FDFB93

XCR-700 07-21-2021 05:05 PM

Did I say dogs love Bbq, I meant to say Dogs LOVE Bbq!

https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...4b&oe=60FE35FE

Rich 07-22-2021 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 359124)

You can have both, either eat on your boat, or sit on the picnic tables under the trees next to Angry Hog BBQ!

Note that his hours are a bit on and off during weekdays as he's a one man operation. Best to check his Facebook page or take a chance. Weekends seem consistent.