Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Support Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Members List-User Names (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13630)

Bear Island South 02-17-2012 08:48 PM

Members List-User Names

Taken from another thread, posted by SAB1:
"I actually have been on here before for years with a different logon name (drifted away for a year or so) and couldnt get my old logon name to work. Says someone else has it (likely me) and I cant recall my password."

Interesting statement, I was actually looking at user names last night and noticed several that were created and had last activity on the same date as created. Some of them date back to 2005 and 2007. (see Bear Island Gal)
Should the user names that are inactive for years be taken off the site?
If there was never any activity why not open up the name for someone else?

Does this create a misconception in the actual user numbers?

I'm sure in SAB1's case he could of emailed the webmaster and found out his/her password.

I'll bet the webmaster has a good explanation.

songkrai 02-17-2012 09:03 PM

Well, there is always hope that those one time folks might come back some day.

On another note - just about all of the email accounts - Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc. - once a name has been used - and then never used again - no one else can get that name. Once used - gone forever.

It is true though on some places I have forgotten the password and never to be found again.

Jonas Pilot 02-17-2012 09:12 PM

What do you think about "tagging" your user name with your location. I've noticed in the last couple of years more and more members have changed or eliminated their home location. I think it added to our diversity. It was fun to see where everybody came from.

Bear Island South 02-17-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot (Post 176357)
What do you think about "tagging" your user name with your location. I've noticed in the last couple of years more and more members have changed or eliminated their home location. I think it added to our diversity. It was fun to see where everybody came from.

I agree...its nice to see how far some members travel to be at the lake.

ChasesIslandOkie 02-17-2012 11:26 PM

7 months and counting...coming from the great Sooner State!

upthesaukee 02-18-2012 08:32 AM

I can understand not tagging

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot (Post 176357)

There is an element of privacy that can be compromised, depending on your user name, what you say when you post, all coupled with your community.

It would not be a far reach to be concened about identity theft, or at least crimes about property (too often we read about people going on vacation, going in the hospital, being away from property, etc.)

While nice to know by some of us who are law-abiding, I understand users concerns.:rolleye1:

SIKSUKR 02-21-2012 02:34 PM

I don't think anybody is ever going to want my user name.:laugh:

Jonas Pilot 02-24-2012 08:56 PM

If you have something to hide maybe you shouldn't be posting on a public forum.

Jonas Pilot 02-24-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasesIslandOkie (Post 176361)
7 months and counting...coming from the great Sooner State!

Your'e going to love it here in New Hampshire. Please don't forget what attracted you to this beautiful state. Please don't try to change it once you are here. The "Sooner" you get here the better off you will be!