Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Dive! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24408)

GBGX2 05-11-2019 05:40 AM

The Dive!
 
1 Attachment(s)
https://www.facebook.com/thedivelake...type=3&sfns=mo


Quote:

Come down to the Weirs for the Dive’s sophomore season opening!!! We have fire pits and big heaters on and ready to go!

fatlazyless 05-11-2019 05:46 AM

With a two gasoline pump, boat dock that is fueling boats immediately close down below, are these open flame fireplaces and propane flame bug de-buggers safe to use, what with the rising gasoline fumes?

You have open flames and gasoline pumps, side by side ..... is that safe? ...... seems like an unsafe situation!

winni83 05-11-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 311224)
With a two gasoline pump, boat dock that is fueling boats immediately close down below, are these open flame fireplaces and propane flame bug de-buggers safe to use, what with the rising gasoline fumes?

You have open flames and gasoline pumps, side by side ..... is that safe? ...... seems like an unsafe situation!

Nope. Gasoline fumes do not rise. They are heavier than air and sink..

“Gasoline vapors are denser than air, meaning these vapors will sink and collect at the lowest point. Effective air circulation may help disperse gasoline vapors. An open flame is not necessary to ignite gas vapors; one spark can cause gasoline vapors to ignite.”

fatlazyless 05-11-2019 12:01 PM

.... fire prevention is fire safety!
 
Looking at the gas dock webcam, the estimated distance from the two gas pumps to The Dive is about 10' to 20', and gasoline fumes are subject to the whims of wind and breezes, so any responsible person realizes it is unsafe and is a flash gasoline fire hazard to have these two gas pumps fueling boats so close to The Dive with those two open flame propane fireplaces and two propane flame de-buggers.

Have you ever seen the fire prevention safety signs that say "No :fire:pen Flames" within 50' of a gasoline pump!

This is simply too close for comfort! .... :eek:

Hillcountry 05-11-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 311234)
Looking at the gas dock webcam, the estimated distance from the two gas pumps to The Dive is about 10' to 20', and gasoline fumes are subject to the whims of wind and breezes, so any responsible person realizes it is unsafe and is a flash gasoline fire hazard to have these two gas pumps fueling boats so close to The Dive with those two open flame propane fireplaces and two propane flame de-buggers.

Have you ever seen the fire prevention safety signs that say "No :fire:pen Flames" within 50' of a gasoline pump!

This is simply too close for comfort! .... :eek:

I agree with FLL...seems like SOME law might be being broken with this setup...

joey2665 05-11-2019 04:36 PM

Before we cast stones at a business trying to make it how about obtaining more information about the actual laws and if the fire pit and heaters are being used while at the dock. I’m sure East Coast Flightcraft who owns the pier would not jeopardize there property and endanger the public.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

The Real BigGuy 05-11-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 311234)

Have you ever seen the fire prevention safety signs that say "No :fire:pen Flames" within 50' of a gasoline pump!

This is simply too close for comfort! .... :eek:

Yup, seen those. Their talking about fire/open flame on same horizontal plane or lower. Dive’s pits are above, and as previously mentioned gasoline fumes are sinkers. It would Have to be pretty strong contained & vectored wind to have a LEL sufficient to support/sustain combustion (1.4 - 7.6% in air) with an ignition source that far above the pumps.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Hillcountry 05-11-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 311239)
Before we cast stones at a business trying to make it how about obtaining more information about the actual laws and if the fire pit and heaters are being used while at the dock. I’m sure East Coast Flightcraft who owns the pier would not jeopardize there property and endanger the public.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

I said “seems like”
Not implying any laws are being broken. Just seems unusual to have open flames so near a gas dock.
If we hear a big BOOM some evening...I guess we’ll know.

GBGX2 05-11-2019 06:03 PM

Unbelievable!
 
Hard to imagine a bigger group of “half empty” folks on the entire planet.

How about celebrating a new business and an owner that is working hard to improve both his business model and his clientele’s experience?

Jeeeesh!

fatlazyless 05-11-2019 06:20 PM

Geez ..... I don't know but if you've ever seen gasoline become set on fire, it all happens like very, very fast.

Just looking at the photos on the webcam, the Sept 1, 2018 shows a single red fire extinguisher in the center of the dock, positioned at the white post.

And, looking at today's May 11, 2019 photo, there is no fire extinguisher ..... so there's no fire extinguisher .... there ..... at the gas dock. How safe is that?:eek::eek:

Seems like some gasoline stations have a fire suppression system but maybe that's just in Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, and New Jersey and probably is not required in New Hampshire. But, what the heck, for like $25 at Walmart you can get a larger than usual fire extinguisher that could come in very handy, sometime.

Maybe Flightcraft and The Dive can set up a 'go fund me page' and raise the needed $25 to get a decently large fire extinguisher for their gas dock?:rolleye2:

GBGX2 05-11-2019 06:26 PM

I rest my case....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 311245)
Geez ..... I don't know but if you've ever seen gasoline become set on fire, it all happens like very, very fast.

Just looking at the photos on the webcam, the Sept 1, 2018 shows a single red fire extinguisher in the center of the dock, positioned at the white post.

And, looking at today's May 11, 2019 photo, there is no fire extinguisher ..... so there's no fire extinguisher .... there ..... at the gas dock. How safe is that?:eek::eek:

Thank you....

fatlazyless 05-11-2019 06:32 PM

Instead of resting your case, why not get up off your butt and go get a larger than usual fire extinguisher asap-pdq for the gas dock, there..... all things considered ...... seems like a no-brainer ..... and would be a small first safety step for a gas dock selling gasoline ..... and maybe some 'no smoking' and 'no open flame' signs, as well.

Thank-you!

joey2665 05-11-2019 06:53 PM

The pessimism and potentially damaging assumptions about this business on the thread is incredible.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Poor Richard 05-11-2019 07:20 PM

Gotta love that Haterade

Hillcountry 05-11-2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 311248)
The pessimism and potentially damaging assumptions about this business on the thread is incredible.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

All we’re discussing is open flames near gas pumps...get off your friggin high horse, mr incredible.
No one here has said anything about the dive failing or otherwise.
Purely a safety question. SHEESH!

joey2665 05-11-2019 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 311252)
All we’re discussing is open flames near gas pumps...get off your friggin high horse, mr incredible.

No one here has said anything about the dive failing or otherwise.

Purely a safety question. SHEESH!

Purely BS mr text muscles safety patrol tough guy. Your arrogance is astounding.

If your discussing dock safety at the pump then take it to a different thread. This was started by the dive to inform about its amenities.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ApS 05-12-2019 03:37 AM

When Have Weirs Docks Ever Had a Serious Fire...?
 
Quote:

Purely BS mr text muscles safety patrol tough guy. Your arrogance is astounding. If your discussing dock safety at the pump then
take it to a different thread. This was started by the dive to inform about its amenities.
The thread can be restarted elsewhere starting from reply #2.

Fire safety is serious business. Take it from one who has put out two gasoline fires with fire extinguishers. :eek2: One in an auto repair shop, with an extinguisher I could barely carry—and one in traffic with a 2½-pounder—both totally extinguished. I've also seen two cases where gas pump nozzles have stuck in the open position. :eek:

You can get serious burns just from the "FWOOOOOOOOMP"!

joey2665 05-12-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 311257)
The thread can be restarted elsewhere starting from reply #2.

Fire safety is serious business. Take it from one who has put out two gasoline fires with fire extinguishers. :eek2: One in an auto repair shop, with an extinguisher I could barely carry—and one in traffic with a 2½-pounder—both totally extinguished. I've also seen two cases where gas pump nozzles have stuck in the open position. :eek:

You can get serious burns just from the "FWOOOOOOOOMP"!

Thank you APS that was exactly my point.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

pondguy 05-12-2019 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 311253)
Purely BS mr text muscles safety patrol tough guy. Your arrogance is astounding.

If your discussing dock safety at the pump then take it to a different thread. This was started by the dive to inform about its amenities.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Making friends everywhere he goes, but does not play well with others ! :rolleye1:

WJT2 05-12-2019 06:33 PM

Dive Kaboom
 
The opening comment and picture looks very nice and inviting. Wish all the best. Is The Dive going to be tied up at this dock for slippage use or is this a dock where passengers will board and come ashore or is going to be a static bar and not leave this dock??? I understand safety concerns but I don't have enough info about The Dives schedule and intended use. Just wondering. Happy Mothers Day to all you deserving Mom's.

chasedawg 05-12-2019 07:19 PM

Dive gas docks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 311234)
Looking at the gas dock webcam, the estimated distance from the two gas pumps to The Dive is about 10' to 20', and gasoline fumes are subject to the whims of wind and breezes, so any responsible person realizes it is unsafe and is a flash gasoline fire hazard to have these two gas pumps fueling boats so close to The Dive with those two open flame propane fireplaces and two propane flame de-buggers.

Have you ever seen the fire prevention safety signs that say "No :fire:pen Flames" within 50' of a gasoline pump!

This is simply too close for comfort! .... :eek:

I agree with FLL. Until the Fire Marshall and MP says otherwise I will be concerned with anyone near the dock when any kind of open flame. I have seen boats blow up at gas docks over the years with people thinking that would never happen. This to me is a potentially dangerous situation.
Thanks FLL for the alert!

The Real BigGuy 05-13-2019 05:17 AM

You assume the FM & MP have not already give their approvals.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 05-13-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 311304)
You assume the FM & MP have not already give their approvals.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app


I agree. There are a lot of assumptions being made. I can tell you in my experience I have found the Laconia FD to be extremely through in the approval process and their spot inspections.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

garysanfran 05-13-2019 07:52 AM

The Weirs "Live Cam"...
 
Keep it rolling...

Time will tell who's right.

LIforrelaxin 05-13-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 311304)
You assume the FM & MP have not already give their approvals.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

And you assume they have... The problem with a thread like this is that people do to much ASS of U and ME........

I agree there are potential dangers give the proximities... how much, I don't know nor does anyone.... To think otherwise is ignorance.... As for the FM and MP.... if people are really curious, all it takes is a phone call.... or better yet, talk to the Dive, or even east coast flight craft to get a better understanding of what is going on...

The Real BigGuy 05-13-2019 02:23 PM

No, I assume nothing. Just commenting on the negativity. You are the one assuming.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Outdoorsman 05-13-2019 02:50 PM

I think the biggest assumption here is that Flightcraft has given up dock space at their gas pumps. Unless you are a party that is involved, it is just that, an assumption. Somehow, when people see a topic on "the dive", things just seem to head south (pun intended).

Back on topic.... Hopefully someone will create a thread in the "Restaurant Information & Reviews" category that actually discusses the food. :rolleye2:

LIforrelaxin 05-13-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 311365)
I think the biggest assumption here is that Flightcraft has given up dock space at their gas pumps. Unless you are a party that is involved, it is just that, an assumption. Somehow, when people see a topic on "the dive", things just seem to head south (pun intended).

Back on topic.... Hopefully someone will create a thread in the "Restaurant Information & Reviews" category that actually discusses the food. :rolleye2:

Whether a thread gets starting in the Resturant section, or not, I have heard all types of reviews... Good and Bad, I think it is a matter of what you are expecting. They are what they are, I wouldn't expect anything fancy, but that is just me... Whether the review be good or bad, the common thread of all reviews seems to be around price.... Once again, I would expect the priciness of the joint, given what it is... Bottom line I don't think it is that bad of a place, if you take it for what it is...

As for threads on the Dive, heading south all the time. What do you expect? It is a huge change for this lake a floating night club. People are not going to be on the fence about it, they are going to either be for it, or against it... Just like the debates we have had on this forum, about no rafting regulations, no wake zones, and speed limits. Some people can except that other peoples views are different some can not.

I agree that it would seem foolish for the Dive, to stay where it is and block the gas dock. But time will tell. The hope may be that most weekends she will go out, who knows, it is all speculation at this point. But isn't that what makes the country great, being able to speculate? Have fun disagreeing? As long as it doesn't go to far, it is all in good fun.... This is online chatting take it to seriously and feelings get hurt... take it for what it is harmless conversation and it is enjoyable...

SAMIAM 05-14-2019 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 311380)
Whether a thread gets starting in the Resturant section, or not, I have heard all types of reviews... Good and Bad, I think it is a matter of what you are expecting. They are what they are, I wouldn't expect anything fancy, but that is just me... Whether the review be good or bad, the common thread of all reviews seems to be around price.... Once again, I would expect the priciness of the joint, given what it is... Bottom line I don't think it is that bad of a place, if you take it for what it is...

As for threads on the Dive, heading south all the time. What do you expect? It is a huge change for this lake a floating night club. People are not going to be on the fence about it, they are going to either be for it, or against it... Just like the debates we have had on this forum, about no rafting regulations, no wake zones, and speed limits. Some people can except that other peoples views are different some can not.

I agree that it would seem foolish for the Dive, to stay where it is and block the gas dock. But time will tell. The hope may be that most weekends she will go out, who knows, it is all speculation at this point. But isn't that what makes the country great, being able to speculate? Have fun disagreeing? As long as it doesn't go to far, it is all in good fun.... This is online chatting take it to seriously and feelings get hurt... take it for what it is harmless conversation and it is enjoyable...

Well said.......seems like its the purpose of the forum for everyone to express their views

webmaster 05-16-2019 01:18 PM

I just saw them move The Dive from the gas dock to the end of the pier itself. I thought it might end up there.

Best of all, we've got the view of the Mount back:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/live_stream?channel=UCSNdlmLyNKZ3B1nLwLUJ84Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

garysanfran 05-16-2019 03:46 PM

Happenin' right now...
 
1 Attachment(s)
Wonder what this is about? Attached to Anthony's...I hope it's friendly...

fatlazyless 05-16-2019 03:54 PM

.... The Dive moves to the left
 
This seems like an excellent new spot .... away from the Flightcraft marina and water ski school ..... away from the rental dock spaces ..... away from the gasoline dock .... away from the Mount Washington .... with good access(?) through The Pier bringing in potential customers to other Pier businesses .... so, that makes it a win-win-win-win-win ..... that's right ..... a 5-win move, right here in Weirs Beach ...... 5-wins ... :eek:!

That should be a very glamorous location for the people on-board The Dive, there, because it's out on the open water and should catch the setting sun rays shining down across the big, open water..... there ..... just like out on a boat

What a totally fabulous ..... genius, even ..... new spot for The Dive at The Pier at Flighcraft on Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire, USA!

Today is Thursday, May 16, 2019! ...... and that's the way it is ..... here, along the docks at Weirs Beach, NH.

webmaster 05-17-2019 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 311634)
Wonder what this is about? Attached to Anthony's...I hope it's friendly...

There is open space and a separate entrance under Anthony's and the arcade that could be used to board The Dive. I doubt that Anthony's is involved except that they may lose some customers!

AC2717 05-17-2019 08:09 AM

I hope that is not where it is staying, what a terrible location for everyone. Go back to the dock

fatlazyless 05-17-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 311681)
I hope that is not where it is staying, what a terrible location for everyone. Go back to the dock

So, why do you say that? I drove down to it today, and took a look, and can see how the nearby residential homes on Simpson Ave MAY(?) be upset with it clogging up their view, but for everyone else, the Mount Washington and the people on-board The Dive and the boaters who position close by ..... it seems excellent. And, who knows, maybe the local residents really like it there ...... is possible ....after all ....it is The Weirs?

For the people on-board The Dive and the boats nearby, positioned close, and waiting to get on ..... it seems like a great spot. Will boaters be able to drop anchor and get rowed on-board by a valet row boat? From that location, people on board should get a real good dose of the beautiful setting sun streaming down the big long length of Meredith Bay, there, just like out on a boat.

Plus, it gets the freebie advertising advantage of being very close up, showing on the Weirs Cam, which is huge for publicity. You probably cannot buy publicity like this, and The Dive gets it for free. Similarly, do you the viewer, think it is clogging up the web cam shot, or is it a welcome addition sort of like a big fat spider, very up close, on the camera lens?

AC2717 05-17-2019 07:05 PM

location wise and sticking off the pier and blocking the view from Anthony's. Don't see how they are allowed to dock like that.

Not complaining cause it does not affect my view or life, nor business, but it seems very odd to do it that way, why not leave it where it pulled in, still had gas docks all accessible and was tucked in nice and protected. Hope it is marked at night

The Real BigGuy 05-18-2019 07:18 AM

Sticking out like that, won’t they get slammed by the Wiers boat chop?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 05-18-2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 311770)
Sticking out like that, won’t they get slammed by the Wiers boat chop?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Certainly will especially on weekends and holidays. Maybe on busier days they will venture to the sand bars to drum up business


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 05-20-2019 10:50 AM

New overhead photos of their current location

https://www.facebook.com/thedivelake...rZtHH4&__xts__[0]=68.ARBNGRUIivmv5rXOA6opO_7VfKghDttdj1dg1BxAqVta6_ ZGMwNDNu8C6aqeGtL1TYzo4QQCe_u2DpiNrO4KiXmIR7tBJJ8c 6YR1yit1Nj0yKbC07-F2NyMXt5MPla1If1xO1fBo5ufIbgFiT1MhblDIat6HAK9FOxFA rNT1KSVqDCi7ZdO2PijYz8t24D77x240c98gFDm_zokqoxLIKV Ly8UfpfJ7Xn7MN5Z7vpn1PrRUg9o_zlLOP0mggiV-X-nlYjFK3hBfS7DyFlVTFSOud_IU4VhsfAHy7Gc3DPMq_OcPBq6L roq-rvDuLYL6Bd5IrOqB3ZvosaMws9tDOr6NlsV6l

Andromeda321 05-20-2019 11:08 AM

It does make the Weirs Cam more entertaining at its current location- looked completely packed on Sunday afternoon!

joey2665 05-20-2019 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Overhead Photo

Woodsy 05-20-2019 12:48 PM

Went to the Dive on Saturday night..... had a GREAT time! The beers were cold, the heaters & fireplaces were going... watched the Mount come in!

I will def be back!

Woodsy

fatlazyless 05-20-2019 01:09 PM

..... once upon a time, there was a barge ...
 
It looks like a very fun spot ..... super location ..... does it catch the setting sun shining down Meredith Bay?

This seems like it could be a big success that's here for years and years and years. Perfect coordination of new location and everything else all seem to make it happen ..... plus, the Weirs cam shot is like a huge Hollywood promo for The Dive ..... a fairy tale beginning for The Dive!

Once upon a time, many many years ago ..... The Dive was looking for a real home ..... a home it could call its own ..... not just an anchorage on a sand bar .... but a real home ..... at a dock .... with parking, and location, and venue, and customers, and all that goes into a home for an unusual business like The Dive.

I just wish they could resurrect the old miniature golf course, there, as an overflow activity for The Dive? Just picture a nice little miniature golf course in that triangular, parking lot area, where it always was. Maybe just a 9-hole course and just five or six parking spots could co-exist in that space?

Biggd 05-21-2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 311902)
Overhead Photo

Three pontoons tied up to it with full covers. It doesn't look like it's going anywhere for a while.

joey2665 05-21-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 311982)
Three pontoons tied up to it with full covers. It doesn't look like it's going anywhere for a while.

They are tied up to the dock I believe not The Dive


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Hillcountry 05-21-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 311982)
Three pontoons tied up to it with full covers. It doesn't look like it's going anywhere for a while.

That’s part of the pier... The dive is the smaller whitish vessel tied up by the bow at the upper part of the photo.

fatlazyless 05-21-2019 06:41 AM

It doesn't show in the photo but there's one or two homes down the bottom of Simpson Ave, on the water there, that probably have a serious issue with The Dive?

So..... who do you call for a zoning, use, on-the-water issue of a blocked view by a floating restaurant that has never been in that spot before ..... where, for the last 119-years and longer, it was an open view?

Who you gonna call? This is a case for some attorney with deep ties to the Marine Patrol, Laconia Zoning, NH-DES ..... could be complicated ..... who has jurisdiction?

For these two waterfront owners, it's a 62' long x 25' high wall across their water view that was never there before, plus all the attracted boat-patron-customer activity. It sort of changes the lake water use there from recreational to commercial use?

Hellooooooo ........ get me Perry Mason, no-not him, some other local attorney here? ........ fast, please!:emb:

The Real BigGuy 05-21-2019 07:16 AM

Be happy! They now have a floating breakwater[emoji847]


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

fatlazyless 05-21-2019 10:29 AM

Simpson Ave has homes on both sides and the closer side is hidden behind the large Pier building and the store fronts along the walking dock, there, so they don't show in the photo. With The Dive positioned where it's at, their long held view is now impinged, cluttered, and boxed off by The Dive barge.

Here's a local land use situation that would be similar to The Dive situation, here, in front of the two Simpson Ave, waterfront homes.

Some person with a food truck business permanently parks their retail food truck on the side of the town road, directly in front of your residence, because it is a good retail food location, and starts doing business selling food, there. How would you like to have a food truck parked permanently in front of your home, out on the public road, in business, selling food?

Isn't this a similar situation, except it is in Lake Winnipesaukee?

Flightcraft and The Dive have expanded their foot print by simply parking The Dive barge directly in front of the two water front homes, down the bottom of Simpson Ave.

Woodsy 05-21-2019 12:58 PM

FLL...

While the Dive is definitely visible from the last 2 houses on Simpson... it in no way impedes their view. You can clearly see in Joey's pic (post #14) the last house on Simpson is the yellowish one. If you feel the need to verify, Google Earth works well, I am sure you use that to locate the local Walmart (its free so it should work with your budget).

Perhaps you should visit the Dive and judge for yourself instead of a stupid post filled with misinformation. Of course their prices are a little higher than you are used to.

Woodsy

wdlincolnjr 05-21-2019 12:59 PM

the dive
 
I cant believe that the Dive owners would be so inconsiderate as to moor their business in such a fashion to impinge on others long held (in excess of 100 years )enjoyment of the lake It is hard to believe that the floating billboard blocking what should be a great view and should be challenged as to taxpayers are involved and I am sure the Dive pays minimal if any to Laconia. Hopefully saner heads will prevail and not just go for the quick buck and instead be good neighbors. I am sure that the Dive owners would be quick to solve a similar situation if someone moored a large cabin cruiser that would block access to their business.Personally I hope they succeed while taking into consideration other peoples rights .

iw8surf 05-21-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdlincolnjr (Post 312017)
I cant believe that the Dive owners would be so inconsiderate as to moor their business in such a fashion to impinge on others long held (in excess of 100 years )enjoyment of the lake It is hard to believe that the floating billboard blocking what should be a great view and should be challenged as to taxpayers are involved and I am sure the Dive pays minimal if any to Laconia. Hopefully saner heads will prevail and not just go for the quick buck and instead be good neighbors. I am sure that the Dive owners would be quick to solve a similar situation if someone moored a large cabin cruiser that would block access to their business.Personally I hope they succeed while taking into consideration other peoples rights .


A great view of Lawrence City beach... I mean Weirs beach.

tmrealtors 05-21-2019 03:23 PM

My concern with The Dive
 
I am the actual owner of the yellow house The Dive decided to park in front of. Not only does it now cause docking and safety issues at my property it is smack in front of my view line. I hope this can be resolved and the boat turned or moved so this does not become an issue. It is upsetting that a two story bar/restaurant barge is allowed to park jetted out 65' sideways from the pier.
*Please imagine if it was your home. I understand people like the Dive and I have nothing against it but if it caused issues at your personal home I think it would be upsetting to you too.
Any help moving this would be greatly appreciated.

Blyblvrd 05-21-2019 03:28 PM

Tmrealtors, would love to see a pick of the Dive / the lake from your property...


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

fatlazyless 05-21-2019 03:40 PM

Believe the yellow house is on the left side of Simpson Ave, down the bottom of the slope, on the waterfront, and there is a second house, on the right side of the road, whose view is slightly more impinged because it is a little closer to the Winnipesaukee Pier and The Dive.

Maybe someone can post a Google Earth photo view, as seen from their satellite in the sky?

For the homeowner with the blocked view, the thing to do is go to the Marine Patrol in Gilford at the Glendale Docks and talk to someone there, in person. The Marine Patrol has been through similar issues many times and is very professional and acts like an unbiased referee between two waterfront neighbors with an issue, and will go look at the situation.

Rusty 05-21-2019 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 312016)
FLL...

While the Dive is definitely visible from the last 2 houses on Simpson... it in no way impedes their view. You can clearly see in Joey's pic (post #14) the last house on Simpson is the yellowish one. If you feel the need to verify, Google Earth works well, I am sure you use that to locate the local Walmart (its free so it should work with your budget).

Perhaps you should visit the Dive and judge for yourself instead of a stupid post filled with misinformation. Of course their prices are a little higher than you are used to.

Woodsy

Looks like it impedes their view from what I got from google maps.

Rusty 05-21-2019 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like it also impedes the other houses at the end of Simpson.

tmrealtors 05-21-2019 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I tried uploading photos...hope it works! My first time posting here!

Outdoorsman 05-21-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 312041)
Looks like it also impedes the other houses at the end of Simpson.

Looks like that dumpster on the edge of the lake is a bigger problem.... Be careful what you wish for.

tmrealtors 05-21-2019 04:28 PM

Those are old photos from years ago. That house is fully renovated now and mine was all repaired too.

fatlazyless 05-21-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy
Perhaps you should visit the Dive .... their prices are a little higher than you are used to.
Woodsy

.... so what are their prices like ..... post a menu, someone?

Rusty 05-21-2019 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmrealtors (Post 312048)
Those are old photos from years ago. That house is fully renovated now and mine was all repaired too.

I'm sure it looks nice.
Thanks for posting the pictures of the Dive as viewed from your property.

Garcia 05-21-2019 08:36 PM

I wouldn't want it parked in front of my house...
 
I'll be honest - I wouldn't want The Dive parked in front of my house.

Reilly 05-22-2019 04:13 AM

view
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 312016)
FLL...

While the Dive is definitely visible from the last 2 houses on Simpson... it in no way impedes their view. You can clearly see in Joey's pic (post #14) the last house on Simpson is the yellowish one. If you feel the need to verify, Google Earth works well, I am sure you use that to locate the local Walmart (its free so it should work with your budget).

Perhaps you should visit the Dive and judge for yourself instead of a stupid post filled with misinformation. Of course their prices are a little higher than you are used

Woodsy

you are absolutly wrong ,from their house they look over it but from their dock & water front they have lost a good portion of their veiw ,they have not arrived yet this year but i would assume that something will b said when they do

jazzman 05-22-2019 06:21 AM

How does the Dive stay put on a windy or wavy day? I wouldn't exactly call that docked. Is it sitting there with it's spuds down?

I know it's Weirs central there, but I'd be pretty annoyed if it was my house.

Biggd 05-22-2019 06:31 AM

Someone told me they were charging a $40 entry fee just to get on it. Is this true?
If that's the case I can see why they would want to stay docked there.

Woodsy 05-22-2019 07:58 AM

Biggd..... No entrance fee to hang on the Dive.

I get how the homeowners might be a little pissed having seen the new pics. I did not think it was a bid deal when I was on it.

That being said, I do not think the aggrieved homeowners are going to get very far with any complaints. Especially with the Dive going out to the sandbars in the morning and returning in the evening on weekends.

Woodsy

fatlazyless 05-22-2019 07:59 AM

..... can cruise boats all just coexist?
 
So, how does The Dive coexist and fit in at the Flighcraft-Winni Pier docks area?

Another spot that is a possibility is way over to the right, up close with the bow of the Mount Washington. Two tenant boats could be moved somewhere else, leaving a dock space big enough for The Dive.

Concentrating the Mount Washington, Sophie C, Doris E, and The Dive all in one tight spot could be one happy group of cruise boats ...... all far away from any residential water front homes.

Believe this spot used to be home to the Winnipesaukee Queen, a 48' sailboat.

And, at the same time, resurrect the old miniature golf course in what is now that triangle shaped parking lot ..... just because it's the right thing to do ... The Dive-Mini Golf! Mini golf and The Dive would be good partners, with the two working together, with the golf as an overflow .... and at the dock spot way to the right, close to the Mount Washington ..... there's good line-of-sight vision from the tall Dive, there, to the mini golf course ..... location-location-location ..... make it a 9-hole course with coexisting 6 parking spots on the other side of a fence?

Phantom 05-22-2019 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My mental image of FLL's home computer …………. upgraded last year to have 2 floppy drives.

joey2665 05-22-2019 08:16 AM

That is hilarious!!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

fatlazyless 05-22-2019 08:27 AM

....so true up til few months ago .... have stepped up to a $179 Acer 15" lap top.... hey ..... I may be slow, but I am still here, driv'n up front of you! ... :p

AC2717 05-22-2019 08:35 AM

SO my question becomes:

with mooring and docks and the current laws, isn't it true that current boats cannot swing off a mooring or be docked over the property line of a neighbor? wouldn't this hold true in this situation, especially because of property lines already established, and there are slips under that pier that boats went into that kept them on the pier's side of a property line.

I for one am disappointed with East Coast Flight tech and the Dive owners for setting up this way, and I hope it is temporary. One would think neighbor discussion should have happened.


Seems like ever since the Goodhue Hawkins/East Coast Flight Craft took over Colbalt up in NH they have been trying to take over the world, which good for them, and I'm fine with that but now they are over stretching with this move. They wont block the Anthony's view but will cross over the property line to block others and yes that is a navigational hazard in that area

I truly believe that property owner and the owners on that street have a legitimate complaint in multiple aspects

fatlazyless 05-22-2019 08:49 AM

..... moored out front the neighbors
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 312111)
SO my question becomes ..... isn't it true that current boats cannot swing off a mooring or be docked over the property line of a neighbor? wouldn't this hold true in this situation, especially because of property lines already established, and there are slips under that pier that boats went into that kept them on the pier's side of a property line.

I truly believe that property owner and the owners on that street have a legitimate complaint in multiple aspects

The Marine Patrol typically asks to get written consent from the neighbor saying it is ok with a neighbor's boat moored out front on the property line between their home and their neighbors, swinging around on a mooring, depending on the wind.

It comes down to whether or not the neighbor is ok with seeing a lot of their neighbor's boat, out front. It is subjective, and some boats just look better than others ...... like a graceful sailboat vs a barge-restaurant?

Having it there for almost 24-7 probably makes even the best looking boat become an eyesore ..... unless it is your own boat .... and then it is totally beautiful!

If The Dive were not parked there for hours and hours and days and days ..... it would be an open and uncluttered view of open water going out for about a mile to Governor's Island and the right side of Weirs Bay ..... but what you got is a 24' wide x 62' long x 20' tall barge restaurant bar blocking the natural view.

Besides the view issue, there is a zoning issue too, because it changes the use from recreational to commercial. Commercial use stops at the property line, there, and The Dive is way over the line.

joey2665 05-22-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 312111)
SO my question becomes:

with mooring and docks and the current laws, isn't it true that current boats cannot swing off a mooring or be docked over the property line of a neighbor? wouldn't this hold true in this situation, especially because of property lines already established, and there are slips under that pier that boats went into that kept them on the pier's side of a property line.

I for one am disappointed with East Coast Flight tech and the Dive owners for setting up this way, and I hope it is temporary. One would think neighbor discussion should have happened.


Seems like ever since the Goodhue Hawkins/East Coast Flight Craft took over Colbalt up in NH they have been trying to take over the world, which good for them, and I'm fine with that but now they are over stretching with this move. They wont block the Anthony's view but will cross over the property line to block others and yes that is a navigational hazard in that area

I truly believe that property owner and the owners on that street have a legitimate complaint in multiple aspects

Where is "Shore Things" when we need him? I am sure he would have an answer or if he doesn't he would certainly know where to get the correct answer

fatlazyless 05-22-2019 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 312118)
Where is "Shore Things" when we need him? I am sure he would have an answer or if he doesn't he would certainly know where to get the correct answer

To be correct ..... this should say: Where is "Shore Things" when we need her? I am sure she would have an answer or if she doesn't she would certainly know where to get the correct answer.

It's a Marine Patrol issue first because it is trespassing.

joey2665 05-22-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 312119)
To be correct ..... this should say: Where is "Shore Things" when we need her? I am sure she would have an answer or if she doesn't she would certainly know where to get the correct answer.

It's a Marine Patrol issue first because it is trespassing.

Sorry you are correct her not him. I know its an MP issue first but she is extremely knowledgeable and well versed on most lake issues and would not be surprised if she had an answer

LIforrelaxin 05-22-2019 09:45 AM

Well, it looks like we will have a lot to talk about in regards tot he DIVE.

On the issue of what kind of complaints might come from adjacent property owners, until you know what has been discussed with them, all you are doing is speculating that there may or may not be a problem. I know I would have an issue, but hey if the DIVE came in and said, we will compensate you, it could bring a different twist to the issue...

I would hope and think that ECFC and the DIVE, have done their homework before setting things up...

I think for me the biggest question is just how often is the DIVE, going to leave Port.... If she is out all the time, how they dock her really isn't a big inconvience. However if she is to be there more often then not, and serving food etc. then not only is there a issue with views, and boat maneuvering, but also with smell etc. Which you could argue already exists because of the other restaurants but he, sometime a new restaurant might bring a bad odor....

Woodsy 05-22-2019 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So I went and looked at the tax maps, to see where the property lines were etc etc. So while the people who own the lot #24 might not be happy with the Dive somewhat obstructing their view.... the Dive is fully within the property lines of the Pier. If you really want to be picky... draw a straight line out along the property line and the #24 dock actually impedes the Pier!

I think the Pier & Dive are legal and all in all I hope they find a way to co-exist.

Woodsy

birchhaven 05-22-2019 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 312123)
So I went and looked at the tax maps, to see where the property lines were etc etc. So while the people who own the lot #24 might not be happy with the Dive somewhat obstructing their view.... the Dive is fully within the property lines of the Pier. If you really want to be picky... draw a straight line out along the property line and the #24 dock actually impedes the Pier!

I think the Pier & Dive are legal and all in all I hope they find a way to co-exist.

Woodsy

I have no opinion, but I do know property lines when they hit the water can be looked at two ways the way you describe and also, perpendicular to the shore line from the point it hits the water (I am pretty sure this is how NH DES views it for dock permiting). The angle that the property line is at when it hits the water line has no effect. I am not aware of any actual laws the Dive is breaking but what do I know :)

fatlazyless 05-22-2019 10:34 AM

The Winnipesaukee Pier, there, was built in 1925 so there's been an open and unobstructed view from the bottom of Simpson Ave, two waterfront homes going back to1925.

A floating restaurant with a structure, size 24' x 64' x 20', is much more a building than a boat. It looks and operates like a commercial building when it is tied up to the dock there, so does it get away with obstructing a view that's been unobstructed since 1925 because it supposedly is a boat, which it is not.

If you ever watch it try to negotiate the waves and wind you will see it is not see much of a boat. It is a floating building that can slowly negotiate calm waters with little wind present.

If it were moved way to the right, for docking, in the spot formerly occupied by the 48' sailboat, Winnipesaukee Queen, close to the bow of the Mount Washington ..... it would be close to other cruise boats and not blocking any residential homes. Seems like a smooth move, to here, there, here, there! ... :D

The rules for mooring boats are based on the operation of a boat, and a floating building is not a boat, it is used as a building when it is tied to a dock for public use.

joey2665 05-22-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 312122)
Well, it looks like we will have a lot to talk about in regards tot he DIVE.

On the issue of what kind of complaints might come from adjacent property owners, until you know what has been discussed with them, all you are doing is speculating that there may or may not be a problem. I know I would have an issue, but hey if the DIVE came in and said, we will compensate you, it could bring a different twist to the issue...

I would hope and think that ECFC and the DIVE, have done their homework before setting things up...

I think for me the biggest question is just how often is the DIVE, going to leave Port.... If she is out all the time, how they dock her really isn't a big inconvience. However if she is to be there more often then not, and serving food etc. then not only is there a issue with views, and boat maneuvering, but also with smell etc. Which you could argue already exists because of the other restaurants but he, sometime a new restaurant might bring a bad odor....

The complaints have already started. See post #53 above. The dive's current mooring location has blocked their view and creates a safety issue according to them.

Hopefully as you said East Coast and the neighbors can come up with so type of arrangement, that is assuming the current location is legal.

LIforrelaxin 05-22-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 312126)
The complaints have already started. See post #53 above. The dive's current mooring location has blocked their view and creates a safety issue according to them.

Hopefully as you said East Coast and the neighbors can come up with so type of arrangement, that is assuming the current location is legal.

Thanks I guess I missed that post....
Definitely blocks the view there is no doubt about that. As far as posing a safety issue well that I would have to be convinced of...

More importantly however it doesn't sound like Winnipesaukee Peir (ECFC) or the DIVE, tried to do a little neighborly conversing before making such a decision. However once again if they have done things correctly, and obtained permits, there maybe very little that the home owners can do. Unless they weren't notified, and there is a stipulation in a permit application that states they needed to be.

Descant 05-22-2019 01:18 PM

It's interesting how generally positive the Dive conversation is on IBOW and how generally negative it is here.
I expect all the docks in the area were established well before the current regulations came into being, so, "grandfathered". Yes, if you do something that creates a (new) hazard to navigation you may have to undo whatever.

joey2665 05-22-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 312142)
It's interesting how generally positive the Dive conversation is on IBOW and how generally negative it is here.
I expect all the docks in the area were established well before the current regulations came into being, so, "grandfathered". Yes, if you do something that creates a (new) hazard to navigation you may have to undo whatever.

I find IBOW to have a very different demographic that winnipesaukee.com. IBOW tends to be a younger crowd that is more into water sports and the bar scene. This site tends to have more established and long time lake residents. Just my observation I have never completed a survey

fatlazyless 05-22-2019 01:58 PM

..... boat'n n beer!
 
.....think I'll head down to The Dive and get myself a cold, dark Guinness ...... how much for a Guinness at The Dive? ...... probably if I identify myself they will give it to me for free ...... one beer and I'm too gone to be driving the car .... honestly ... so, is best to be boat'n there ...... boat'n n beer ..... go together like ...... (finish this line here) .......

Outdoorsman 05-22-2019 02:54 PM

What is interesting is that just a year ago, when the dive first made an appearance on the lake, people were up in arms because she was parking at the sand bar. Fast forward to today, people are up in arms because she is parked in the Weirs.

I wonder how many are the same people that are just going to complain no matter what?

Source:
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...highlight=dive

Views: 107,837
Replies : 752

Free publicity though....

tmrealtors 05-22-2019 06:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some photos of my new view. I know everyone has their opinions but please imagine if this was your home you live in and how you would feel losing any portion of your view you have always had.
I was never notified as an abutter of this and although they say they leave all day to go to the sand bar...they have not moved in a week. I can't imagine them leaving 7 days a week even on windy, chilly days this Summer. My poor neighbors behind me now only see the dive when they look out their back porches.

***Hoping the owners consider all us neighbors and do the right thing***

joey2665 05-22-2019 06:27 PM

I like the Dive but that is not right


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

fatlazyless 05-22-2019 07:02 PM

..... impinge, clutter and encroach!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 312149)
.....think I'll head down to The Dive ...... one beer and I'm too gone to be driving the car ....boat'n n beer ..... go together like ...... (finish this line here) .......

....impinge, clutter and encroach are words that come to mind looking at the new view, out front your house, down the bottom of Simpson Ave, there....


..... so, boat'n n beer .... go together like "impinge, clutter and encroach" ..... well, it certainly does now with The Dive permanently parked there as your new, invasive neighbor.....

..... it's the new neighbor from Hell ...... hellooooooooo ...... "we are The Dive ..... and we be your new neighbor ..... helloooooo!" .....:rolleye2:

Mr. V 05-22-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmrealtors (Post 312179)
Here are some photos of my new view. I know everyone has their opinions but please imagine if this was your home you live in and how you would feel losing any portion of your view you have always had.

That seems no different than someone living on a hillside who had a good view until the owner of the lot in front of him decided to build a multi-level home which obstructs their view.

Sure, you don't like it: but what can you actually DO about it?

Legally, I mean.

TiltonBB 05-22-2019 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birchhaven (Post 312124)
The angle that the property line is at when it hits the water line has no effect. I am not aware of any actual laws the Dive is breaking but what do I know :)

That is incorrect. The property line continues into the lake for the purpose of docking. In other words, if your property line hits the lake at an angle (not perpendicular) that line continues at the same angle for purpose of docking.

jazzman 05-22-2019 09:53 PM

Well there is the view and the music thumping until 11PM every night (but then it was probably worse in the hayday of Winni Gardens.

I can't believe that it's legal to dock nose in like that. The Dive can't possibly be stable like that. Are the spuds down?

What is the docking like on a stiff NW wind (like yesterday)? It looks tricky to come in past the tail of the dive down wind and get onto your dock.

I'm all for free enterprise but this all doesn't smell right to me.

I suspect the Dive will remain docked most of the time. I don't think they ventured more than 1/4 mile from home base more than twice last year and they had no captive crowd on their home dock.

tis 05-23-2019 05:04 AM

I agree, I would not like to look at it either. That boat is like an orphan, nobody wants it in their back yard.

thinkxingu 05-23-2019 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 312200)
I agree, I would not like to look at it either. That boat is like an orphan, nobody wants it in their back yard.

Nor would I want to hear it--it's essentially a nightclub moving next door.

That being said, has anyone actually asked the plan? I would think waiting too long will create a precedent.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

joey2665 05-23-2019 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 312202)
Nor would I want to hear it--it's essentially a nightclub moving next door.

That being said, has anyone actually asked the plan? I would think waiting too long will create a precedent.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

I just posed the question on their Facebook page to see if they have some type of schedule this season for visiting sand bars.

Also from their Facebook page they are selling tickets to board this weekend. The tickets are good for the day and you can board and disembark as you wish so obviously they are staying put this weekend.

Additionally looks like when the Weirs have their fireworks shows you will be able to board.

All this is making me lean towards they are not venturing out this season but I will report back when I have an answer


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

upthesaukee 05-23-2019 07:07 AM

Maybe a name change would help
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 312200)
I agree, I would not like to look at it either. That boat is like an orphan, nobody wants it in their back yard.

Maybe change name from "The Dive" to "NIMBY" or "NIMFY" (back yard or front yard).

Dave

PS, I wouldn't want to be looking at it or listening to the noise either.

joey2665 05-23-2019 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 312206)
Maybe change name from "The Dive" to "NIMBY" or "NIMFY" (back yard or front yard).

Dave

PS, I wouldn't want to be looking at it or listening to the noise either.

Unfortunately given the history of the pier the noise is probably not violating any city ordinance.
I’m all for this business succeeding but not at the expense of being a nuisance to its neighbors


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Woodsy 05-23-2019 07:17 AM

Joey...

I asked that question when I was on the Dive Saturday night..... they do plan to be going to Braun Bay several times this summer. Will it be every weekend? That I do not know.

Woodsy

ishoot308 05-23-2019 07:18 AM

I have a hard time believing that the Dive or Flightcraft just made this move without checking with the town first...Does anyone here actually believe they made this move without checking if it was legal and within their rights before doing it??

As far as noise goes...Each town has an ordinance that must be complied with. If they are not complying you have gripe...if they are, tough luck! However, if you wanted serenity you don't buy a home at the Weirs 100' from the busiest pier on the lake!

Dan

Seaplane Pilot 05-23-2019 07:18 AM

There was a court case based in Moultonborough a few years ago where a property owner took his neighbor to court for parking a commercial barge at his property. Can’t recall the exact details; for instance whether view blocking came into play or not, but the court sided with the barge owner in the end. Other than violating any noise ordinances that may be in place, I think the Dive is probably not going to move voluntarily. Might not be “neighborly”, but I don’t think they are breaking any rules, laws or ordinances. On the other hand, I too wouldn’t want to have to look at it or listen to it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.