Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Best Breakfast 2019 and.....Go (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24891)

jr616 08-17-2019 08:42 AM

Best Breakfast 2019 and.....Go

Give a shout out to your favorite place for breakfast & why. & Yes....we know your personal kitchen is great.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nagigator 08-17-2019 08:48 AM

VK Hands down. Best homefries on the planet. Super friendly service

ishoot308 08-17-2019 08:50 AM

Dejavu in Laconia...great food great service!

Dan

fatlazyless 08-17-2019 09:29 AM

www.cafedejavunh.com ..... second that ..... just for the name! ..... free coffee with breakfast on weekdays, 5:30-7:30am, breakfast served all day

DesertDweller 08-17-2019 09:57 AM

I'll put in another vote for the Village Kitchen. Farmer's Breakfast and you're good to good until dinner...…….. Love the french toast.

Biggd 08-17-2019 10:10 AM

George's dinner in Meredith.

Newbiesaukee 08-17-2019 10:15 AM

Another VK vote, lots of reasons including home fries, beans, good prices and fun place.

At the other end of the lake, Kitchen Cravings is a good choice...many interesting choices, some familiar favorites, some different dishes.

kauriel 08-17-2019 10:40 AM

Love Heritage Farm in Sanbornton but it's a bit of a drive and tends to be very busy!

joey2665 08-17-2019 11:06 AM

Union Diner

Union Diner: Food and service are excellent and Rose the owner is a fantastic person. I also enjoy Kitchen Cravings, never been to VK as it is a little far for breakfast but I will get there and to Heritage eventually

thinkxingu 08-17-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kauriel (Post 317702)
Love Heritage Farm in Sanbornton but it's a bit of a drive and tends to be very busy!

Great place, but $$$ and has been slow every time we've visited. On one of those occasions, we hit up Margaret's Kitchen and the chicken and waffles were absurdly good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Hillcountry 08-17-2019 11:27 AM

I don’t know if I’ve ever had a “bad” breakfast anywhere...probably because I don’t eat henfruit so I custom order my breakfasts.

BroadHopper 08-17-2019 12:55 PM

Breakfast

Never had a bad breakfast in the area. But if I had a preference it would be Water St Café by car and Ames Farm by boat.

For brunch by car, Steele Hill Inn, By boat, Lake House.

Slickcraft 08-17-2019 02:05 PM

Ames Farm in the summer and Country Cook'n At The Lakeside the rest of the year.

Guiness 08-17-2019 02:23 PM

Vk!!

Village Kitchen, been going for 18 years, great food, great staff, always a win!!

thinkxingu 08-17-2019 03:12 PM

All these thumbs-up for VK, but I've been three or four times and have been disappointed each one. Center Harbor Cafe, George's, and Sunshine and Pa's (for the immediate area) have always been far better experiences.

FlyingScot 08-17-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 317716)
All these thumbs-up for VK, but I've been three or four times and have been disappointed each one. Center Harbor Cafe, George's, and Sunshine and Pa's (for the immediate area) have always been far better experiences.

You should go again;)

Another vote for VK, with specific thumbs up for the pancakes and the homemade bread. (Make sure to spring for the 100% maple syrup on the cakes)

thinkxingu 08-17-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 317717)
You should go again;)

Another vote for VK, with specific thumbs up for the pancakes and the homemade bread. (Make sure to spring for the 100% maple syrup on the cakes)

Alright, maybe I will. If so, I'll report back!

Descant 08-17-2019 04:04 PM

Ames Farm by boat. Union Diner and Cravings by car. Sunday Brunch at Church Landing

mcdude 08-17-2019 04:34 PM

If you've got an errand to run in Rochester be sure to stop in at the Farmer's Kitchen for breakfast or lunch in Farmington right on Rt. 11. All those people waiting in line can't be wrong!

https://farmerskitchen-nh.com/

https://farmerskitchen-nh.com/files/...=316&h=237&a=t

mcdude 08-17-2019 05:01 PM

Of course, the VERY BEST breakfast would be on the 3rd Sunday of each month at the Mason's Hall in Alton where you might be served in person by Upthesaukee!!:liplick:

Quote:

On Sunday, August 18th, the Masons of Winnipisaukee Lodge in Alton will be hosting their monthly Breakfast Buffet, open to the public, at the Lodge on Rte 28, a quarter mile south of the Alton Circle. With fresh fruit, biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, omelets, bacon and sausage, home fries, beans, pancakes, french toast, coffee and juice being served, it is a perfect time for family and friends to sit down and enjoy an all you can eat breakfast buffet. So join them for breakfast between 7:30 and 11:00. They hope to see you there, always on the 3rd Sunday of the month. For more information, contact Dave Collier at 603-875-0816. Cost is $10

JADAQ 08-17-2019 08:23 PM

Sunshine and Pas has always been good.

Hit up Center Harbor diner last week which was also good but not a fan at all of ANY restaurant that doesn’t take plastic! I usually never carry cash, so my visits there will be few and far between. I just don’t understand why restaurants in this century don’t take plastic?

Stopped at the Village kitchen everyone raves about last year only to find a sign on the door “cash only” did an immediate about face and split while I hear voice saying “we have an ATM”
Sure! I said and let me just add another $8.00 to my bill for your ATM fee and my banks cut.....no thanks!

TheTimeTraveler 08-17-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JADAQ (Post 317736)

Hit up Center Harbor diner last week which was also good but not a fan at all of ANY restaurant that doesn’t take plastic! I usually never carry cash, so my visits there will be few and far between. I just don’t understand why restaurants in this century don’t take plastic?

Stopped at the Village kitchen everyone raves about last year only to find a sign on the door “cash only” did an immediate about face and split while I hear voice saying “we have an ATM”
Sure! I said and let me just add another $8.00 to my bill for your ATM fee and my banks cut.....no thanks!

I agree with the frustration of "CASH ONLY". However, if the food is great you'll always be sure to have the green stuff with pictures of dead men.

I learned this is the way of business at Pop's Clam Shell in Alton.

To be honest, even though restaurant operators have to pay 3% to the banking industry, credit cards are far better to use to avoid cash shortages, cash mistakes, daily counts and daily deposits. Far too many issues in dealing with cash.

I'm confident we could start a thread on the restaurants that have yet to accept credit cards.

I also have known of some unattended gas stations in the past that leave their pumps on all night but you can't use their pumps unless you have a credit card. So credit cards do have some use somewhere!

kauriel 08-17-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 317704)
Great place, but $$$ and has been slow every time we've visited. On one of those occasions, we hit up Margaret's Kitchen and the chicken and waffles were absurdly good.

I usually get the child-size breakfast - $8 for an egg, pancake, bacon and amazing homefries. It's also a fun experience checking out the farm but most importantly I LOVE their no tipping policy! I wish everywhere would get rid of tipping or revise system to be fairer for everyone.

Sue Doe-Nym 08-17-2019 10:07 PM

VK and George’s...both great. Boohoo about “cash only” at VK....not a big deal! Great eggs Benedict. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

thinkxingu 08-18-2019 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kauriel (Post 317738)
I usually get the child-size breakfast - $8 for an egg, pancake, bacon and amazing homefries. It's also a fun experience checking out the farm but most importantly I LOVE their no tipping policy! I wish everywhere would get rid of tipping or revise system to be fairer for everyone.

You know, I forgot about the no tipping policy and can't remember if I calculated the total value accordingly--I'll have to try them again! I will say that they've got the greatest syrup on the planet, and I've had A LOT of syrup.

thinkxingu 08-18-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

I agree about cards, BUT as long as the place has an ATM or takes checks (I always keep a check in my wallet), it's no big deal. Besides, who pays ATM charges these days? My credit union refunds them each month.

joey2665 08-18-2019 07:17 AM

Best Breakfast 2019 and.....Go

Quote:

Actually Amex is 3% but Visa MasterCard and Discover usually only 1.2 to 1.5%. If they raised their price by about 25 cents a meal it would cover the fees and make customers happy. But then again there is the “under the table” issue. [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

rick35 08-18-2019 08:21 AM

Citizens charges $3 for an atm advance plus whatever the fee on the machine is. So it usually costs $6 total. My CU doesn’t charge a fee as long as the machine is owned by another CU. Cash or check is old school and just about all restaurants just pass on the fee through their prices and that’s what people have come to expect. Pops and VC can do it because they have a large following but a mediocre place would probably fail. And I would think the cost of theft would far exceed the bank fees.

JanN 08-18-2019 08:26 AM

Great Sunday Brunch

Sundays in July and August, Moulton Farm has a delicious farm-to-table brunch! I know that's a very limited time, but had to mention it because it is so good!:)

sky's 08-18-2019 09:09 AM

center harbor diner the best by far

FlyingScot 08-18-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 317748)
Actually Amex is 3% but Visa MasterCard and Discover usually only 1.2 to 1.5%. If they raised their price by about 25 cents a meal it would cover the fees and make customers happy. But then again there is the “under the table” issue. [emoji33]

Good point. Even better than that--market research has shown that people are less price sensitive when using plastic, so presumably many are getting more than 25 cents extra and customers are still more satisfied

baygo 08-18-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Credit card fees vary from, Industry to industry and business to business, depending on who the processor is. The restaurant industry happens to have the highest processing fees. There is an additional factor that actually increases the cost to the restaurant. Let’s say a diner enjoys a $100 dinner, plus 9% tax equals $109 plus 20% tip is $21.80 tip. Total $130.80 3% is $4.00 or 4% of the original $100. A small restaurant that runs $500,000 in credit cards yearly can easily pay $15,000 a year in credit card fees. The owner of a restaurant that does that level of volume is looking at $15,000 as 20 to 30% of his or her take at the end of the year.

It’s not uncommon for loyal customers to a restaurant to bring cash to help protect the longevity of there favorite restaurant.

“Under the table” is really more a thing of the past in the restaurant business. Today, state and federal revenue collectors have sophisticated software that compares restaurant consumption against revenue reported. Anyone attempting to under report sales will get caught.

farechofisherman 08-18-2019 09:47 AM

VK! Hands down for me!

Biggd 08-18-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Many places won't take Amex for that reason. I've threatened to cancel Amex every time I get my monthly CC fee statement at my shop.
I have a Costco C-card that I use strictly for business and I was so glad when they switched from Amex to Visa.

joey2665 08-18-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baygo (Post 317763)
Credit card fees vary from, Industry to industry and business to business, depending on who the processor is. The restaurant industry happens to have the highest processing fees. There is an additional factor that actually increases the cost to the restaurant. Let’s say a diner enjoys a $100 dinner, plus 9% tax equals $109 plus 20% tip is $21.80 tip. Total $130.80 3% is $4.00 or 4% of the original $100. A small restaurant that runs $500,000 in credit cards yearly can easily pay $15,000 a year in credit card fees. The owner of a restaurant that does that level of volume is looking at $15,000 as 20 to 30% of his or her take at the end of the year.

It’s not uncommon for loyal customers to a restaurant to bring cash to help protect the longevity of there favorite restaurant.

“Under the table” is really more a thing of the past in the restaurant business. Today, state and federal revenue collectors have sophisticated software that compares restaurant consumption against revenue reported. Anyone attempting to under report sales will get caught.

But my point was to raise your prices by the minimal 1.5% to offset the processing fees also increase in business could also help offset the costs. The other costs you always have to deal with.

As a CPA I certainly understand the audit risks but in my experience many smaller restaurants always tried to guild the Lilly and many know how to do it and not raise red flags.

SAMIAM 08-18-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

We hear you and you're not the only one that prefers plastic, but FYI we don't take commissions on the ATM so the charge is only $3 not $8 and
most banks will reimburse for ATM fees.
Not paying fees to CC companies allows us to keep our prices within reason. Also, our waitstaff much prefers the cash system for speed (and tips are better).
Totally understand that many people do not like to use cash and the day may come when we have to make the change but for now it's working well.

BroadHopper 08-19-2019 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 317771)
But my point was to raise your prices by the minimal 1.5% to offset the processing fees also increase in business could also help offset the costs. The other costs you always have to deal with.

As a CPA I certainly understand the audit risks but in my experience many smaller restaurants always tried to guild the Lilly and many know how to do it and not raise red flags.

As a financial analyst, I agree with you here. I spent a lot of research on how credit cards work and its a huge profit industry! Consumers can switch cards to help the vendors and vendors can switch bank card systems for savings. It's a game CC folks love to play! They even make money on debit cards! Convenience cost money!

There are consumer banks that actually pays your CC fees. Mostly CUs. I opt for a CU that pays for all of my CC fees including fees occurred outside of the CU network! It pays to shop around!

thinkxingu 08-19-2019 07:20 AM

I always a. order more and 2. tip better when using debit/credit cards.

In fact, looking at my Amazon history before and after connecting my Discover card is scary!

joey2665 08-19-2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 317818)
I always a. order more and 2. tip better when using debit/credit cards.

In fact, looking at my Amazon history before and after connecting my Discover card is scary!

I have to disagree with Baygo and agree with you. People usually spend and tip more on CC than cash. Cash they see leave their pockets immediately obviously the card charge is not dealt with until the statement comes in.

SAB1 08-19-2019 08:00 AM

VK is the place in lake area. Farmers kitchen is tops as mentioned above. Also Rosie’s in ossipee is very good.

baygo 08-19-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 317819)
I have to disagree with Baygo and agree with you. People usually spend and tip more on CC than cash. Cash they see leave their pockets immediately obviously the card charge is not dealt with until the statement comes in.

I can’t find where I made a statement one way or another about how the use of a card influences a decision on how much to spend or tip. We actually record all tips that come through the house. I utilizes it as a gauge of performance. I wish I had time. I would go back through the records to compare.

From an assumptive position I tend to agree that people spend more on the card, however same as there are some who find it difficult to let go of cash, there are others who have a hard time looking at a bigger number when writing it.

thinkxingu 08-19-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baygo (Post 317827)
I can’t find where I made a statement one way or another about how the use of a card influences a decision on how much to spend or tip. We actually record all tips that come through the house. I utilizes it as a gauge of performance. I wish I had time. I would go back through the records to compare.

From an assumptive position I tend to agree that people spend more on the card, however same as there are some who find it difficult to let go of cash, there are others who have a hard time looking at a bigger number when writing it.

Interesting idea about the bigger number vs. watching it disappear.

As I've mentioned in another thread, I HATE HATE HATE when a takeout place puts a tip line on the receipt rather than keeping a jar out, but I love places like Liliuokalani that put "girls" vs. "guys" or, especially, a list of the kids' names and where they'll be going to school in fall.

baygo 08-19-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 317828)
Interesting idea about the bigger number vs. watching it disappear.

As I've mentioned in another thread, I HATE HATE HATE when a takeout place puts a tip line on the receipt rather than keeping a jar out, but I love places like Liliuokalani that put "girls" vs. "guys" or, especially, a list of the kids' names and where they'll be going to school in fall.

Totally agree in regards to the Panhandling for a tip on a take-out order. I can’t say I feel the same about putting out 2 tip cups. It aggravates me that we are surrounded by efforts to take sides. I fear the results if those who wish to divide us succeed.

thinkxingu 08-19-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baygo (Post 317830)
Totally agree in regards to the Panhandling for a tip on a take-out order. I can’t say I feel the same about putting out 2 tip cups. It aggravates me that we are surrounded by efforts to take sides. I fear the results if those who wish to divide us succeed.

C'mon, man, it's not "deplorables" and "snowflakes" or "conservative whackjobs" vs. "hippie liberals" or...maybe Major and Cal Coon and FLL can add to the dichotomies.

joey2665 08-19-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baygo (Post 317827)

Sorry I apologize, it was SAMIAM my mistake

The Winster 08-20-2019 09:55 AM

Rosie's in Tamworth

Back to the original topic...breakfast
Just felt I had to mention Rosie's in Tamworth. A bit of a drive (although not too bad from Tuftonboro/Moultonboro) but worth it... Just a bit of a special place with super friendly service and an extensive breakfast menu that includes homemade breads and your choice of "eewy gooey" or "buttery crunchy" cinnamon rolls.

Newbiesaukee 08-20-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Winster (Post 317891)
Back to the original topic...breakfast
Just felt I had to mention Rosie's in Tamworth. A bit of a drive (although not too bad from Tuftonboro/Moultonboro) but worth it... Just a bit of a special place with super friendly service and an extensive breakfast menu that includes homemade breads and your choice of "eewy gooey" or "buttery crunchy" cinnamon rolls.

More specifically, where is it? Sounds like it’s worth a visit.

Thanks.

mcdude 08-20-2019 01:33 PM

Here's a link to their website. Rt. 16 in Tamworth

http://www.rosiesnh.com/index.html

fogpixie 08-20-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 317723)
If you've got an errand to run in Rochester be sure to stop in at the Farmer's Kitchen for breakfast or lunch in Farmington right on Rt. 11. All those people waiting in line can't be wrong!

https://farmerskitchen-nh.com/

https://farmerskitchen-nh.com/files/...=316&h=237&a=t

Agreed!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Outdoorsman 08-20-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 317739)
VK and George’s...both great. Boohoo about “cash only” at VK....not a big deal! Great eggs Benedict.

Boohoo about "cash only"?

Not so much!

Been to VK (and other restaurants with that policy) just one time, "cash only" keeps us away. My summer group of 4-10 each weekend will alternate who pays the tab. None of us are hitting an ATM just for that restaurant. And MOST DEFINITELY will not pay ATM fees to the owner to eat at his establishment.

Sorry, but it's 2019 out there.

Shreddy 08-21-2019 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outdoorsman (Post 317925)
Boohoo about "cash only"?

Not so much!

Been to VK (and other restaurants with that policy) just one time, "cash only" keeps us away. My summer group of 4-10 each weekend will alternate who pays the tab. None of us are hitting an ATM just for that restaurant. And MOST DEFINITELY will not pay ATM fees to the owner to eat at his establishment.

Sorry, but it's 2019 out there.

The foregone benefit of the farmer's breakfast is your loss, not theirs. They have no issue putting people in the seats. I've exchanged messages with SAMIAM several times as it would be nice to pay via Venmo, Cashapp, etc. but the reality is they don't need to and if it means their prices stay reasonable (since no CC fees), I don't mind having some cash on me to cover a nominal bill (even with 4-10 people). The ATM there is a convenience, and if you're still paying ATM fees then you need to realize it's "2019 out there" and get a better checking account.

VitaBene 08-21-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreddy (Post 317956)
The foregone benefit of the farmer's breakfast is your loss, not theirs. They have no issue putting people in the seats. I've exchanged messages with SAMIAM several times as it would be nice to pay via Venmo, Cashapp, etc. but the reality is they don't need to and if it means their prices stay reasonable (since no CC fees), I don't mind having some cash on me to cover a nominal bill (even with 4-10 people). The ATM there is a convenience, and if you're still paying ATM fees then you need to realize it's "2019 out there" and get a better checking account.

Passed the VK 2X this rainy Wed AM- at 0900 the lot was full, at 1040 the lot was 75% full! Oh, tonight is Turkey Dinner night at the VK- it is fantastic!

tis 08-21-2019 04:37 PM

Our next door neighbors never missed a Wednesday night at the VK for the turkey dinner.

Sue Doe-Nym 08-21-2019 06:02 PM

Just walked in the door from our fine dining at the VK...piping hot chicken croquettes, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, squash. Very pleasant, not too crowded, and we never mind needing cash....very small price to pay . We are regulars and are never disappointed. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Heading4thelake 08-21-2019 08:14 PM

On the other side

My extended family goes every weekend to Morriseys Front Porch in Wolfeboro for breakfast as it's the best as they all say ! They are only open for breakfast Fri-Sun. due to help restraints . Yet to hear ! complaint from 3 year old to senior citizens !!

And no I don't know the owners or Chef Tony. Just like the place !

FlyingScot 08-21-2019 08:25 PM

Cup and Crumb

Not a full breakfast, but a special shout out to Cup and Crumb in Moultonborough. Excellent coffee, espresso drinks, and fresh baked goods in an old barn setting. Favorite dish--their "Pop Tart" (but you'd better get there early for that one).

Newbiesaukee 08-26-2019 01:21 PM

Although a faithful VK fan, we ventured to the south and had an excellent breakfast at Margaret’s Kitchen in Sanbornton off of Rte 3. Nice atmosphere and Angela is an excellent waitress.

thinkxingu 08-26-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 318329)
Although a faithful VK fan, we ventured to the south and had an excellent breakfast at Margaret’s Kitchen in Sanbornton off of Rte 3. Nice atmosphere and Angela is an excellent waitress.

'Swhat I was talking about! Get the chicken and waffles?!

Newbiesaukee 08-26-2019 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 318334)
'Swhat I was talking about! Get the chicken and waffles?!

I got the spicy fried chicken sandwich but “had” to finish my wife’s blueberry pancakes. It’s all good.

hilltopper 08-27-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 318359)
I got the spicy fried chicken sandwich but “had” to finish my wife’s blueberry pancakes. It’s all good.

This used to be Katie Flo's Diner. When did that close?