Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Support Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   "No Wake Zone permit" Thread (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18459)

webmaster 11-09-2014 03:00 PM

"No Wake Zone permit" Thread

Recently a new member asked a question about no wake zones in a thread called No Wake Zone permit. The thread was unfortunately hijacked by a few members who repeatedly criticized my management of this forum and seemed to wish for a confrontation and argument. Those comments have been removed from that thread and moved here.

Not to Worry 11-09-2014 03:11 PM

"No Wake Zone permit" Thread

Well, this should be a fun thread to watch!

ITD 11-09-2014 03:53 PM

Get the popcorn honey, this should be a humdinger.

Merrymeeting 11-09-2014 05:02 PM

Hmmm...Orville Redenbacher or Jiffy Pop? ;)

Webbsatwinni 11-10-2014 08:31 AM

Why hasn't this been moved to the issues area???????? This is clearly an issue post and should be held to the same standards as the positive performance boat posts that are made into issues.

Double standards?

glennsteely 11-10-2014 08:34 AM

Here we go.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy bob (Post 236162)
you bought the land and the house , the rest of us own the lake . Slow = no fun
fast = lotta fun . I love going fast in that cove

love watching this unfold.....hehehe!

Phantom 11-10-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 236179)
—but worst are the rubberneckers who view the shoreline at highly-erosive speeds in boats oversized for Lake Winnipesaukee.

I had grabbed my soda & popcorn ...... was determined to sit back and laugh my way through as this thread surely had all the markings of deteriorating rapidly

Then the red highlighted portion above caught my eye ....... ApS -- Seriously ?

I could totally understand if one day Don just threw up his arms and said enuf ..... or "Good Bye"

Webbsatwinni 11-10-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caloway (Post 236188)
There's nothing out there that erodes like a good wind out of the NW and the lake has managed to deal with it for eons.

That having been said, I'll be submitting a no wake petition for the entire lake for anything over 38 feet, unless it has captain's call and is traveling greater than 45 mph.

I too am submitting a petition, boats traveling at no wake speed have less maneuverability and take greater captain skill to handle. This no wake petition will create yet another unsafe area within boating distance of a town dock, where there is already a docking skill safety issue (or entertainment, depending on if it's your boat that get's hit or not).

Please move this thread to issues fast before we all ruin this poor forum!

Webbsatwinni 11-11-2014 08:19 AM

Day 3 still in the general section, what is the criteria required to move this anti performance boat thread to the issues page?

Speed complaints
large boat complaints
Regulations changes
Wake complaints
Tubing and water ski comments

Yet its still in general, hmmmmm.

webmaster 11-11-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni (Post 236228)
Day 3 still in the general section, what is the criteria required to move this anti performance boat thread to the issues page?

Speed complaints
large boat complaints
Regulations changes
Wake complaints
Tubing and water ski comments

Yet its still in general, hmmmmm.

Do you have anything to add to this thread other than criticism of me? The topic is a no-wake zone in Cummings Cove.

Webbsatwinni 11-11-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 236229)
Do you have anything to add to this thread other than criticism of me? The topic is a no-wake zone in Cummings Cove.

When I posted that it was nice to see performance boats on a weekend, it was moved to issues. That was a positive post with no agenda. This is an issue that someone has and it stays in general.

Yes, that is criticism.

TiltonBB 11-11-2014 09:47 AM

Not a good idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni (Post 236233)
When I posted that it was nice to see performance boats on a weekend, it was moved to issues. That was a positive post with no agenda. This is an issue that someone has and it stays in general.

Yes, that is criticism.

Don, the Webmaster, owns this site that we all enjoy. He is the man who spends thousands of hours maintaining and moderating what content is allowed. That is his right and he does an excellent job at walking the fine line that allows the posts and the posters to be entertaining and informative and stepping in where he feels it is needed.

It is not up to any of us to determine what is on this site. By posting, and reading the posts of others, over time it is apparent what is appropriate and acceptable. If that is something that you cannot abide by or agree with then maybe this is not the forum for you.

It is certainly not up to you to determine which posts stay, which posts are moved, and what is appropriate. Most people on this site will not appreciate your criticism.

Webbsatwinni 11-11-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 236234)
Don, the Webmaster, owns this site that we all enjoy. He is the man who spends thousands of hours maintaining and moderating what content is allowed. That is his right and he does an excellent job at walking the fine line that allows the posts and the posters to be entertaining and informative and stepping in where he feels it is needed.

It is not up to any of us to determine what is on this site. By posting, and reading the posts of others, over time it is apparent what is appropriate and acceptable. If that is something that you cannot abide by or agree with then maybe this is not the forum for you.

It is certainly not up to you to determine which posts stay, which posts are moved, and what is appropriate. Most people on this site will not appreciate your criticism.

That is your position, mine is that it clearly demonstrates what motivates the forum.

Phantom 11-11-2014 10:17 AM

Time to grab the Soda & Popcorn < again >

This can't end well .................

ITD 11-11-2014 10:19 AM

Personally, when I frequent a forum and there is a thread that aggravates me I just don't click on that thread. Works great for me.

I really expected this thread to blow up, but it hasn't. The OP had a legitimate question and maybe now is reconsidering his position. Obviously his house has been in the family for years and something has changed. Hopefully what ever it is is transient and he will have more peace next year with out adding another no wake zone to the lake. We'll see.

glennsteely 11-11-2014 10:45 AM

Hahaha!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by webbsatwinni (Post 236182)
billy bob for president!

how many votes does he need for the nomination?? I'm in!!

winnipiseogee 11-11-2014 10:54 AM

Just my 2 cents but if the OP said "It was great to see all the performance boats OFF the lake this weekend..." it would belong in issues.

It is disappointing that a new member can't ask a well intentioned question without other people trying to make it into an issue.

glennsteely 11-11-2014 10:59 AM

Another.....im gonna take my ball and go home....

Quote:

Originally Posted by webbsatwinni (Post 236233)
when i posted that it was nice to see performance boats on a weekend, it was moved to issues. That was a positive post with no agenda. This is an issue that someone has and it stays in general.

Yes, that is criticism.

we are all just visitors here......dons site, dons rules.
......and i like them, i might add!!

Webbsatwinni 11-11-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glennsteely (Post 236242)

No bat and ball thoughts here, and yes, it is his site, sometimes i forget that and think that all issues will be treated equally. My bad, sorry.

LIforrelaxin 11-11-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glennsteely (Post 236242)

Yes this is Dons site.... And I have on more then one occasion, given him credit for creating the forum, and try to understand his decisions.... however
WebbsatWinni, is right to be critical right now.... This thread has been brought down a path, and is creating controversy.... as good intentioned as it was.... you can't pick and chose controversial subjects at whim....

The facts are this has created controversy... diverted from its original intentions.....And therefor should be moved out of the General topics area....

I am not picking up my bat and ball and leaving, I am stating how I view this...

webmaster 11-11-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni (Post 236235)
That is your position, mine is that it clearly demonstrates what motivates the forum.

Instead of commenting on the topic, you've now made 3 posts accusing me of bias.

Please tell us what my bias is and what "motivates this forum".

Webbsatwinni 11-11-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 236269)
Instead of commenting on the topic, you've now made 3 posts accusing me of bias.

I had chosen to stop posting on this thread as my point was not being heard, because you asked....You are in charge and I made the mistake of looking at the forum through my point of view and commenting off topic and pointing out how the posts are not all treated the same.

The last thread I started was a positive one, nobody doing any wrong, it was an observation that I enjoyed seeing performance boats. Once the forum spin started, you quickly moved my non issue, non speed limit speak, post to the issues area.

This post was started with the quote, "We live on Lake Winni in Meredith and our little cove is being overrun by cigarette boats with no regard to speed or noise limits." Both of these accusations are items that, if posted as pro speed or noise, would be moved to the issues area.

My post was moved without me posting anything negative, yet this negative post stays in general topics. This in my opinion is bias, I use the forum to get lake updates and news and to see what is going on around the lake and had hoped that the management of the forum was not taking an obvious position on the SL debate.

I hope you can see where I feel that the posts do get a bias depending on the side of the fence its coming from. Sorry to offend you and that my frustration came out in this thread, the forum is a great source of information and I am sure it's not easy to keep it going.

wifi 11-11-2014 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 236269)

I think this gets back to the unfortunate political thread that you edited out.

A certain person (me) posted certain truths of a candidate that shouldn't have been done here. I apologize for that. People complained and you trimmed the political slant out of the thread. This then empowers certain people the feeling that if they complain and threaten to leave, they can get posts edited their way. What a tangle.... sorry

rgilfert 11-12-2014 08:13 AM

Ding

The ring girl carrying the #4 placard has left the octagon ........ Ding!

glennsteely 11-12-2014 08:22 AM

Kind of the point....

Quote:

Originally Posted by webbsatwinni (Post 236283)
i had chosen to stop posting on this thread as my point was not being heard, because you asked....you are in charge and i made the mistake of looking at the forum through my point of view and commenting off topic and pointing out how the posts are not all treated the same.

The last thread i started was a positive one, nobody doing any wrong, it was an observation that i enjoyed seeing performance boats. Once the forum spin started, you quickly moved my non issue, non speed limit speak, post to the issues area.

This post was started with the quote, "we live on lake winni in meredith and our little cove is being overrun by cigarette boats with no regard to speed or noise limits." both of these accusations are items that, if posted as pro speed or noise, would be moved to the issues area.

My post was moved without me posting anything negative, yet this negative post stays in general topics. This in my opinion is bias, i use the forum to get lake updates and news and to see what is going on around the lake and had hoped that the management of the forum was not taking an obvious position on the sl debate.

I hope you can see where i feel that the posts do get a bias depending on the side of the fence its coming from. Sorry to offend you and that my frustration came out in this thread, the forum is a great source of information and i am sure it's not easy to keep it going.

thats kind of the point.....if all posts are not treated the same, so be it....that is the point exactly......don's site, don's rules....it's up to don, where he puts things.....frankly, your point means nothing. If you want your point to count for so much, start your own forum....hey, maybe i'll even join it!!

Woodsy 11-12-2014 08:41 AM

Pretty good read.... :)

It was pretty good reading this thread.... I def agree with the "Don's Forum - Don's Rules" argument. I might not agree with the reasoning sometimes but that's OK. Don works behind the scene in a mostly thankless manner!

Back on topic....

If Ralbaneze wants to petition the MP for a NWZ... that's his right. I will go to the hearing to oppose it. I have a SERIOUS issue with people who abut a public resource like Lake Winni dictating to the public how the public can use a resource that belongs to them. (Safety issues aside)

Woodsy