Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Atlantic Broadband (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27639)

WinnisquamZ 12-06-2021 09:57 AM

Atlantic Broadband

Those of you that have ABB are you experiencing download issues and drop offs over the past few weeks? I have been a customer for 8 years and must say it has been fine. However, over the past weeks. Dropping off consistently and download speeds are reduced

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

boat_guy64 12-06-2021 03:23 PM

ABB has been fine for me

I run an ethereum mining rig 24/7 so I notice any outages. ABB has been very solid for me for the last year. A year ago we ran in a new line as I was getting a lot of drops and my lines were old and not good enough for today's data rates.

The Real BigGuy 12-06-2021 04:35 PM

Is the electricity usage for a mining rig as bad as people say? Just wondering.

Descant 12-06-2021 05:13 PM

Group rate

Just had an email from MVYC saying that ABB is dropping the group rate and that fewer and fewer people each year are using a cable TV subscription. Don't know about internet and streaming.

BroadHopper 12-07-2021 10:05 AM

Abb

My pc is a FAH client. Been running great for over a year with ABB. There were some outages recently in the early AM, but I did notice a noticeable increase not only in speed but bandwidth. I was told the outages occur when switching to better equipment.

Comcast/xfinity set up a tent to convince folks in the HOA to switch. After a 'pep' talk and a 'come over' plan, I chat with ABB about the savings. They came up with a similar package that was $10 cheaper than Comcast. I stayed with ABB while neighbors are experiencing pain with Comcast.

Notice I said 'chat'. It is much quicker to go on the ABB website, sign in and use the chat window.

Fidium by Consolidated Communications is coming soon. They have an advantage as they use the same poles as their phone lines so there is no regulatory BS to go thru. Looking forward to the competition.

BroadHopper 12-07-2021 10:11 AM

This is the trend. As streaming service is more economical and you can choose to 'customize' your channels. What you can do as I saw in many marinas along the intercoastal is wifi access. With the new technology of 'meshing', it should be the solution for the Winni marinas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 365007)
Just had an email from MVYC saying that ABB is dropping the group rate and that fewer and fewer people each year are using a cable TV subscription. Don't know about internet and streaming.

boat_guy64 12-07-2021 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 365006)
Is the electricity usage for a mining rig as bad as people say? Just wondering.

I only run a small rig with 4 GPUs. It makes me ~$15/day and electricity is about $1.70. (So, a $13.30 profit) It's a hobby that I started during covid and was a learning experience but the rig is all paid and now it is all profit. Also, it heats my downstairs in the winter and I put it in the basement in the summer. Pick your GPUs wisely and be patient. I only pay MSRP, not what the scalpers want on ebay and amazon.

WinnisquamZ 12-07-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 365012)
My pc is a FAH client. Been running great for over a year with ABB. There were some outages recently in the early AM, but I did notice a noticeable increase not only in speed but bandwidth. I was told the outages occur when switching to better equipment.

Comcast/xfinity set up a tent to convince folks in the HOA to switch. After a 'pep' talk and a 'come over' plan, I chat with ABB about the savings. They came up with a similar package that was $10 cheaper than Comcast. I stayed with ABB while neighbors are experiencing pain with Comcast.

Notice I said 'chat'. It is much quicker to go on the ABB website, sign in and use the chat window.

Fidium by Consolidated Communications is coming soon. They have an advantage as they use the same poles as their phone lines so there is no regulatory BS to go thru. Looking forward to the competition.

Agree. The chat room is better then a call. Been tracking the download speed when we have a drop. Not constant. Will continue to monitor as we experience drops. Can’t see where switching helps, but I am looking into T-MOBILE internet as it is now available in my area

jeffk 12-08-2021 05:23 AM

Yes. My normal download is 256 Mbps, upload 22 Mbps. I have noticed sluggish performance at times over the last few weeks. About 150 Mbps download at times. It has been better, at least not as noticeable, in the last week or so.

This type of short term erratic performance on ABB has happened in the past and usually has sorted itself out in a couple weeks. I'm not doing anything that requires really high performance so I just wait it out. Sometimes I reboot my modem and router just to make sure I have a clean connection.

WinnisquamZ 12-08-2021 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk (Post 365036)
Yes. My normal download is 256 Mbps, upload 22 Mbps. I have noticed sluggish performance at times over the last few weeks. About 150 Mbps download at times. It has been better, at least not as noticeable, in the last week or so.

This type of short term erratic performance on ABB has happened in the past and usually has sorted itself out in a couple weeks. I'm not doing anything that requires really high performance so I just wait it out. Sometimes I reboot my modem and router just to make sure I have a clean connection.

Thank you. Same numbers as I have recorded and experienced over the past few weeks. Hopefully it clears soon

garysanfran 12-08-2021 04:27 PM

Comcast/Xfinity is very fast out west...

In San Francisco I'm getting download at 527 and upload at 39.2. I hope Comcast does as well there as here. I'd like to see some heat put on ABB. My last call to tech support for ABB, I was on hold for 88 minutes. The recorded suggestion that I use "chat" was entertaining since I was calling because I had lost internet.

SteveO123 12-09-2021 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 364993)
Those of you that have ABB are you experiencing download issues and drop offs over the past few weeks? I have been a customer for 8 years and must say it has been fine. However, over the past weeks. Dropping off consistently and download speeds are reduced

I had similar problems with ABB. I had service come in and they replaced the Hitron modem with an Arris. The tech said as soon as I described the problem he knew it was that modem. He said those modems were notorious for dropping out and ABB dropped them and now install Arris. My connection has been fine since!

garysanfran 12-09-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveO123 (Post 365077)
I had similar problems with ABB. I had service come in and they replaced the Hitron modem with an Arris. The tech said as soon as I described the problem he knew it was that modem. He said those modems were notorious for dropping out and ABB dropped them and now install Arris. My connection has been fine since!

I had the same problem and the tech told me that for a while they were having problems getting the new modems, so they were keeping the cure secret.