Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Covid-19 Discussions & Information (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   So damn frustrating...!! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28101)

MeredithMan 07-08-2022 09:19 AM

So damn frustrating...!!

Despite 2 1/2 years of doing everything "right", (masking, maintaining distance, getting all the shots, etc), I got the damn disease last week!

I had to go to a tech conference in San Fran last week. You had to show proof of vaccination to get in to the venue. Additionally, my company has a vax policy, so no shots, no job. I had to do my part playing "booth babe" on the show floor, but made sure to hand sanitize after shaking anyone's hand. At the end of each day, my vaxed co-workers and I would have dinner, maybe have a drinkie or two together, and go to bed. No reckless or risky behavior.

I got home last Friday and on Saturday, was feeling achy all over, with some sniffles. On Sunday, it got a little worse and a sore throat kicked in. I thought, "Oh, I picked up a cold in SF last week....this is what it feels like to have a cold again". Symptoms got a little more intense on Monday, and by this time, my wife, daughter, and son were all reporting they felt crummy too. By Weds, I think I had started to turn the corner, but my wife was feeling really lousy. She was insisting we had 'rona, but I said, "it couldn't be...I can still smell and taste". She took the home test and it was positive and made me take one, and yes, it was positive too. DAMMIT!!

Here we are on Friday, and my sore throat and body aches are gone. I have some sniffles and some minor head-cold symptoms left, but should be 100% in another day or two. The rest of the family seems to be tracking about 2 days behind me in terms of how their symptoms are progressing/peaking/descending.

For me, I would describe the whole experience as a really bad cold. I was never in bed sick, but did feel really crappy for 24-36 hours. I am also fully vaxed, very healthy with no chronic health issues and no history of any illness or disease. Is it the vax? Genetics? Healthy lifestyle? All of the above? Who knows....I'm just glad it is mostly behind me.

However, here is what made me feel worse than the virus itself: repercussions on my wife, son, and daughter. My wife was to travel for her new job next week to an event she has been instrumental in planning and coordinating, and had to cancel her trip. My daughter was to go to her college roommate's bachelorette weekend in Newport, RI, this weekend, that she and her friends have been planning for months. My son had to call out sick for 5 or 6 days on his first new job out of college that he just started a few weeks ago. I know in the grand scheme of things these things don't matter, but I still feel like a heel nonetheless. So back to the title of the post, So Damn Frustrating!

Pricestavern 07-08-2022 02:15 PM

First Timer?

Was this your first time getting Covid? Recently I've had a raft of friends and family suddenly getting Covid for the first time. All fully vac'ed and boosted. All had the same symptoms as you. None went to the hospital (thank goodness). Seems like it just finally caught up to those who had not had it before. Glad it worked out for you though I commiserate for all the inconvenience it caused.
As for myself and wife - we caught it back before it was cool, early January 2020. Vaccinated and boosted, we've not caught it since (fingers crossed).
Be well!

The Real BigGuy 07-08-2022 02:26 PM

Glad to here you are on the mend! I totally agree with you, damn frustrating. You think you are doing everything right then, WHAM, it hits you.

But isn’t that life in general in a lot of ways?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

MeredithMan 07-08-2022 03:02 PM

Yes, first time, (and hopefully last)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricestavern (Post 372767)
Was this your first time getting Covid? Recently I've had a raft of friends and family suddenly getting Covid for the first time. All fully vac'ed and boosted. All had the same symptoms as you. None went to the hospital (thank goodness). Seems like it just finally caught up to those who had not had it before. Glad it worked out for you though I commiserate for all the inconvenience it caused.
As for myself and wife - we caught it back before it was cool, early January 2020. Vaccinated and boosted, we've not caught it since (fingers crossed).
Be well!

Thank you for your well wishes. Yes, first time ever getting it. It's funny you ask that, because several people my wife has told have asked the same thing and when she responded, "first time", they were like, "oh, I've had it several times..." :eek:

brk-lnt 07-08-2022 03:04 PM

IMO, the masks and distancing are not proven to be all that effective. It was a good initial theory, but those things are not giving you any advantages.

Doing everything right these days is really just being prepared to have a potentially moderate flu for the average person. It is going to be unavoidable if you're not staying completely and totally isolated, and that is not worthwhile.

8gv 07-08-2022 03:49 PM

I am sorry to hear you got sick and how it impacted your family.

I wonder if we can ever treat the exposure to a person with covid like we would a person with a cold.

So far all three of my kids, their spouses and all three grand kids have had covid.

My wife and I have not gotten it.

With the exception of the grand kids, we have all been vaccinated.

I medicate with ice cream and so far it's working.

thinkxingu 07-08-2022 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 372774)
I am sorry to hear you got sick and how it impacted your family.

I wonder if we can ever treat the exposure to a person with covid like we would a person with a cold.

So far all three of my kids, their spouses and all three grand kids have had covid.

My wife and I have not gotten it.

With the exception of the grand kids, we have all been vaccinated.

There are antiviral treatments, but they need to be taken earlier than most people realize they have Covid.

And you may have actually already had it—remember, many people don't have major symptoms. My only symptom was a really light headache, which I wouldn't even have tested if not for mandatory requirements at school.

The reality at this point is that most everyone's going to get it—the hope is that it will become less impactful/more flu-like.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

mcdude 07-08-2022 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 372774)

ha :-) ha :-) LOL and all that. Thanks for the laugh!!

Vodka's been doing the trick for me ...... and so far it's working!

FlyingScot 07-08-2022 05:41 PM

Sorry it got you, MM. My wife and I are still clear, but one of my friends is just recovering after a story similar to yours. Get well soon:)

ITD 07-08-2022 07:12 PM

Unfortunately, a virus does not care if you do "everything right", whatever that is. Corona viruses have been around forever, my doctor told me I will get it sooner or later. Probably more important to stay as healthy and fit as you can versus worrying about what others say is "right". Hope you are feeling better.

John Mercier 07-08-2022 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 372775)
There are antiviral treatments, but they need to be taken earlier than most people realize they have Covid.

And you may have actually already had it—remember, many people don't have major symptoms. My only symptom was a really light headache, which I wouldn't even have tested if not for mandatory requirements at school.

The reality at this point is that most everyone's going to get it—the hope is that it will become less impactful/more flu-like.

It does. The first round killed off many... so the remainder have a stronger resistance. Each round will kill off a certain percentage. Much the same way the flu virus does.

Variations in the strains will be the big factor. If I remember my history correctly, the 1918 Flu killed those with stronger immune systems. The modern variants tend to take those with weaker immune systems.

MeredithMan 07-09-2022 12:01 PM

This round seems to be non-respiratory...

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 372775)

The symptoms that the fam and I had were non-respiratory, (i.e., sore throat, head cold, body aches). Both my wife's doctor and my daughter's MD coworkers at Concord Hospital have indicated that the 'rona that seems to be infecting people right now is mostly non-respiratory with symptoms very similar to what we experienced.

SAMIAM 07-10-2022 07:56 AM

My wife and I both experienced mild symptoms such as you describe.
Mainly just a feeling of being tired and sniffles and felt well enough to do household chores and outside work. Being older, we are supposed to be in a higher risk category, but we chose not to be vaccinated
We're both healthy,take vit A,C,D and zinc and are careful to avoid close contact and group gatherings.

Newbiesaukee 07-10-2022 09:55 AM

The increasingly prevalent Omicron mutation is much more easily spread but fortunately seems less likely to produce serious disease. This is a partial explanation for “everyone” seeming to get a mild case, vaccinated or not.

The next variant will not necessarily be so benign.