Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Taylor's in Meredith- Great Italian Sub (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21696)

ericnh 02-19-2017 07:00 AM

Taylor's in Meredith- Great Italian Sub

My favorite sandwich is a toasted Italian and I tried one at Taylor's on Main St Meredith on Friday. It was perfect... great bread, perfect balance of cold cuts, veggies, oil and mayo. Plus... the have a side order of onion rings that are hand dipped. Awesome lunch!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 02-19-2017 04:05 PM

My wife and I have breakfast there quite often during the summer. I've never had a bad meal and we have ordered their pizza's take out also.

thinkxingu 02-19-2017 08:25 PM

Great food, and the woman who's served us the last few times has been very sweet to our kiddos.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Bigstan 02-19-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericnh (Post 274564)
My favorite sandwich is a toasted Italian and I tried one at Taylor's on Main St Meredith on Friday. It was perfect... great bread, perfect balance of cold cuts, veggies, oil and mayo. Plus... the have a side order of onion rings that are hand dipped. Awesome lunch!

Mayo on an Italian? I'm lost?

Acrossamerica 02-20-2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigstan (Post 274585)

It's New Hampshire, try to keep up.

In a state that thinks a Bulkie compares to a Kaiser roll and subs have pickles and chopped veggies what do you expect.

Bigstan 02-21-2017 11:47 AM

That seems to me to be up there with ketchup on a hot dog......to each their own but I won't pretend to get it :confused:

Barney Bear 02-21-2017 12:23 PM

States Rights

In Indiana, I always put mustard, ketchup, and relish on my hotdogs. In Massachusetts, I have franks with mustard and relish, and frequently onions will be added. 🌭

Doobs41378 02-21-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigstan (Post 274627)
That seems to me to be up there with ketchup on a hot dog......to each their own but I won't pretend to get it :confused:

I only put ketchup on my hotdog :D

upthesaukee 02-21-2017 04:13 PM

Wow, I didn't know that you could only put various condiments on certain foods. Sometimes I put ketchup and mustard on a hot dog, sometimes I have sweet relish, sometimes sautéed onions or raw onions, jalapeño relish. Various things get put on my hamburgers without a thought to what is proper. I certainly hope I don't have to turn in my taste buds! 😉

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

tis 02-21-2017 04:17 PM

I love mayo on my subs. But I love mayo on everything!!!

Doobs41378 02-21-2017 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigstan (Post 274627)

I only put ketchup on my hotdog :D

ishoot308 02-21-2017 06:19 PM

Proper Hot Dog Etiquette

Relish and chopped onions in the bottom of the grilled bun, grilled hot dog on top, then yellow mustard (not that poopon stuff:D) on top of the dog then couple dashes of celery salt...

I'm hungry now!

Dan

bumble71 02-21-2017 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrossamerica (Post 274589)
It's New Hampshire, try to keep up.

In a state that thinks a Bulkie compares to a Kaiser roll and subs have pickles and chopped veggies what do you expect.

Really? I've lived in NY City. Ive seen many people have mayo on an Italian sub...

kawishiwi 02-22-2017 12:02 AM

Hard core yellow mustard & raw onions...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 274649)
Relish and chopped onions in the bottom of the grilled bun, grilled hot dog on top, then yellow mustard (not that poopon stuff:D) on top of the dog then couple dashes of celery salt...

I'm hungry now!

Dan

I was a hard core yellow mustard & raw onions on a dog guy despite having grown up near Chicago and even slinging "Chicago" style dogs for awhile. Then...I found "Sweet Pepper Relish". Add a little mustard. The true Caddillac style dog!

Janet 02-22-2017 09:57 AM

Will never forget...my friend went to the now closed Carnegie Deli in NYC and asked for Miracle Whip on her pastrami sandwich. Almost got thrown out of the deli. :emb:

jbolty 02-22-2017 10:09 AM

IMHO. Low grade hot dogs need a lot of toppings, quality ones just need a little mustard.

Stumbled into this one day and it's pretty good. A little relish and some ranch dressing. Don't judge me. :argue:

Hillcountry 02-22-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 274649)

I'm hungry now!

Dan

X2
Exactly how I like them...if I get daring, I add a little diced tomato and go "all dress" as they say in Quebec!

SIKSUKR 02-22-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 274672)
Will never forget...my friend went to the now closed Carnegie Deli in NYC and asked for Miracle Whip on her pastrami sandwich. Almost got thrown out of the deli. :emb:

No sandwich for you....one year!

Doobs41378 02-22-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 274673)
IMHO. Low grade hot dogs need a lot of toppings, quality ones just need a little mustard.

Stumbled into this one day and it's pretty good. A little relish and some ranch dressing. Don't judge me. :argue:

Too late :laugh::laugh:

noreast 02-22-2017 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumble71 (Post 274655)
Really? I've lived in NY City. Ive seen many people have mayo on an Italian sub...

Doesn't mean it's acceptable.:)

Biggd 11-05-2017 07:37 AM

Taylors has closed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

upthesaukee 11-05-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 287360)
Taylors has closed.

For the season, or permanently?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 11-05-2017 08:16 AM

For good.

joey2665 11-05-2017 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noreast (Post 274689)
Doesn't mean it's acceptable.:)

Mayo on Italian anything is unacceptable. [emoji4]

rick35 11-07-2017 10:51 PM

And what kind of cheese do you want on your italian sandwich? Ah, provolone?

upthesaukee 11-08-2017 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick35 (Post 287440)
And what kind of cheese do you want on your italian sandwich? Ah, provolone?

I'm from northern Italy; Swiss cheese and a nice garlic aioli .
Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

garysanfran 11-08-2017 10:29 AM

Sadly...It appears Taylors has closed....

Went by about a week ago to get my favorite Italian sub, and it's closed. A FOR RENT sign in the window. I know the family was trying to sell the place for quite a while.

Good luck to the Taylor family. Very nice people who did a fine job running a restaurant.

Biggd 11-08-2017 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 287454)
Went by about a week ago to get my favorite Italian sub, and it's closed. A FOR RENT sign in the window. I know the family was trying to sell the place for quite a while.

Good luck to the Taylor family. Very nice people who did a fine job running a restaurant.

My wife and I use to walk there with the dog and get breakfast. It was really the only breakfast place we could go with the dog and sit outside. We also would get pizza's to go there.

Islandbum 11-09-2017 01:30 PM

As a nh native living in NJ ,when I moved here I was appalled by the use of mayo on Italian subs, never once ordering one in NH did I receive mayo or ask if I wanted it. Mayo comes standard here.
Ahhhh the old Just Deli in centa harba was to die for, just found one of their heart shaped fridge magnet.
On another note nj is famous for Taylor ham and egg sandwiches, what gastronomical nightmare that is.

Mr. V 11-09-2017 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islandbum (Post 287501)
On another note nj is famous for Taylor ham and egg sandwiches, what gastronomical nightmare that is.

You mean pork roll?

Great stuff.

Let's not forget that south Jersey / eastern Pa. favorite, scrapple.

garysanfran 11-09-2017 11:47 PM

The location is...

Subtle, but interesting and well located, although off Rt.3 and on Main Street.

I am very interested in what will take this space's place. I hope another Mom&Pop place. No "chains". Too unique a place.

garysanfran 11-10-2017 12:11 AM

What happened to our welcome guy?

Quote:

As a nh native living in NJ ,when I moved here I was appalled by the use of mayo on Italian subs, never once ordering one in NH did I receive mayo or ask if I wanted it. Mayo comes standard here.
Ahhhh the old Just Deli in centa harba was to die for, just found one of their heart shaped fridge magnet.

Thank you for joining us. We used to have a welcoming member, I have not seen for a while. Please join us!

thinkxingu 11-10-2017 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 287513)

I am very interested in what will take this space's place. I hope another Mom&Pop place. No "chains". Too unique a place.

I really liked Taylor's, but it was always just a couple bucks too much to pull us from The Mug Pub, so we only visited a couple times/year. Chicken parmesan subs were GREAT, but fries were extra, so... I'd love to see a similar type mom-and-pop go in (and add a fireplace).

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Biggd 11-10-2017 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 287513)

It's not a location that a chain would be looking at.
I liked Taylors but it needs a remodel and a whole new concept. Personally I think the center needs a bakery/pastry shop. Home made pies and coffee with a kicker!:eek:
If I was younger I would look into it but that type of business requires dedication and lots of hours. I prefer to be a customer rather than a owner. But my wife can make a hell of a pie.

joey2665 11-10-2017 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 287519)
It's not a location that a chain would be looking at.
I liked Taylors but it needs a remodel and a whole new concept. Personally I think the center needs a bakery/pastry shop. Home made pies and coffee with a kicker!:eek:

A really good traditional bakery would be great. The now closed Meredith Coffee Shop on Route 3 gave it a try but obviously didn't make it.

jeffatsquam 11-10-2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Yes welcome, I was telling my kids about Just deli in Center Harbor yesterday and then saw this post the STEAK BOMB was the best sub I ever had

Arties in Moultonboro will make one if you ask they are really good also

Biggd 11-10-2017 07:59 AM

I think in town where people are within walking distance makes for a better location.

Janet 11-10-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffatsquam (Post 287521)
Yes welcome, I was telling my kids about Just deli in Center Harbor yesterday and then saw this post the STEAK BOMB was the best sub I ever had

Arties in Moultonboro will make one if you ask they are really good also

The Pier 19 Store in Tuftonboro has a similar Steak Bomb sandwich that is really good. Their french fries are also good. Of course we'll have to wait until Spring to get one now. I know the store is for sale but hopefully we'll get another season with them.

joey2665 11-10-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 287522)
I think in town where people are within walking distance makes for a better location.

Very true would also attract mant people staying at MIlls Falls and Bay Point plus the added traffic in the summer and for the winter events like the Fishing Derby and Pond Hockey

Biggd 11-10-2017 02:28 PM

A nice slice of home made apple pie and a coffee with a shot of expresso vodka right after a game of pond hockey. That's a little slice of heaven right there!

ghfromaltonbay 11-10-2017 03:45 PM

Which exit?

Quote:

Islandbum, What part of NJ do you now live in? I've lived in NJ all my life (60+ years) and I have never gotten an Italian sub served with mayo... Oil and vinegar only! I'm from Bergen County, home to lots of good Italian hero places.
Taylor ham is an acquired taste. Not one of my favorites, but it isn't bad as a TLT instead of a BLT for lunch.

Islandbum 11-10-2017 06:08 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome....northwest nj on a large horse farm...mayo comes on everything like it’s not a condiment. The closer we get to the city the mayo disappears.
The sopranos filmed a hit on my property that they said was upstate.

ghfromaltonbay 11-11-2017 01:36 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islandbum (Post 287540)
Thanks for the warm welcome....northwest nj on a large horse farm...mayo comes on everything like it’s not a condiment. The closer we get to the city the mayo disappears.

The Soprano's BadaBing club is 10 minutes from where I live. Know your new area well, I had family & friends in Wantage & Branchville. Hope you still get to spend time in NH.

joey2665 11-11-2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islandbum (Post 287540)

That is pretty cool. Was I️t Adrianna?

Airedale1 11-13-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigstan (Post 274585)

I wasn't going to say anything but since you did and I'm Italian. Oh yeah! Mayo on an Italian sub? Never! :eek:

garysanfran 11-14-2017 11:52 AM

May sound a bit petty...But...

I worked with a guy and ONCE went out to lunch with him. He ordered a pastrami sandwich with "EXTRA" mayonnaise. I sat across from him, and, as he ate this abomination, little pools of mayo formed at the corners of his mouth and dripped down his chin! A visual from a few decades ago that I can't shake to this day.

Yuck!!!

Islandbum 11-14-2017 03:30 PM

I worked for an Italian gentleman for awhile, he would get so mad when someone would order an Italian....and would always say , would you order a hot Swede ....to which I would reply . I wish!
Yes it was Adriana, fun day with cast and crew. Got into wine cellar early that day and was down hill from there!
When Sylvio was here he kept saying , this place looks familiar. Had to remind him he played here for a private party...the E street band played, minus Bruce. He said that day was also foggy due to that damn wine cellar

joey2665 11-14-2017 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islandbum (Post 287638)
I worked for an Italian gentleman for awhile, he would get so mad when someone would order an Italian....and would always say , would you order a hot Swede ....to which I would reply . I wish!
Yes it was Adriana, fun day with cast and crew. Got into wine cellar early that day and was down hill from there!
When Sylvio was here he kept saying , this place looks familiar. Had to remind him he played here for a private party...the E street band played, minus Bruce. He said that day was also foggy due to that damn wine cellar

That is awesome. My commercial property in Brooklyn was in several commercials, TV shows and movies. Its a very cool experience to see how these things are produced and filmed

kauriel 11-16-2017 08:34 AM

Is there anywhere in Meredith/Laconia area that uses bread similar to Taylor's? My husband really liked the bread that they used for their sandwiches

Mr. V 11-16-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kauriel (Post 287721)
Is there anywhere in Meredith/Laconia area that uses bread similar to Taylor's? My husband really liked the bread that they used for their sandwiches

I've no idea where Taylor's sourced their hoagie rolls, but here is a link to what are probably the best, most "authentic" east coast hoagie rolls out there from a Philadelphia bakery, Amaroso.

http://www.atasteofphilly.com/product-p/hoagrls.htm

garysanfran 12-08-2017 10:29 PM

Any new news on this space??

I'll miss Taylors, but look forward to what happens next...Any happenings?

KPW 12-11-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kauriel (Post 287721)

A lot of local places use http://piantedosi.com/hearth.html.

Airedale1 12-14-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPW (Post 288600)
A lot of local places use http://piantedosi.com/hearth.html.

They are excellent! And you can get their rolls in the bakery department at Hannafords in Gilford. I use the when I make sausage, pepper and onions subs. :)