Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Knitters-Caps for the Troops (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8626)

weim2 09-25-2009 02:51 PM

Knitters-Caps for the Troops

Are there any knitters out there who might like to do a cap or two for the troops? The pattern is super easy, done on #10 round needles, cast on 72 sts., work to 8" and pretty much dec. If there is a response, I will publish the pattern and figure out a way to get it to me. My friend has done over 100. Must be 100% wool worsted weight in drab colors. They will get to: The Pease Greeters. Thanks

Jeanzb1 09-25-2009 04:24 PM

Love to knit!!

Perfect! I knit all the time and look forward to being productive! Please send me the pattern. Thanks!

Diana 09-25-2009 04:34 PM

Job Lot has great worsted weight 100% wool for 3.00 a ball. Just got the urge to knit with this cool weather so I'm in!

weim2 09-25-2009 05:32 PM

Cap

OK- Great, let me get dinner and I will work on typing the very easy pattern

weim2 09-25-2009 05:49 PM

Cap Pattern-The Pease Greeters

Hand Knit Caps for the Troops
Please use 100% wool worsted weight yarn in dark or drab colors.
#9 or 10 circular needles, 16" works best
#9 or 10 double pointed needles (4 or 5)
Tapestry needle for finishing
On circular needles, cast on 72 sts, join the ends being careful not to twist work when joining .
Work K1, P1 until piece measures 1".
Knit until piece measures 8".
Change to double pointed needles of same size, divide 24 sts in 3 needles and knit with the 4th needle.
Round 1, knit 2 together all around
Round 2, knit
Round 3, knit 2 together, leaving 18 sts.
Cut off yarn leaving a 12' tail, thread tapestry needle, pull yarn through each stitch, remove from needles, pull tight and tie off on wrong side of work. Weave in tails from that yarn and the cast on yarn.
Please attach a small note with your name so that the soldier who receives the cap knows who made it for them, they enjoy that.
Thank you very much for your support of our troops and this project.
The Pease Greeters
I will let you know where you can drop these off. I have not figured that out yet. Ha

A Piece of Heaven 09-25-2009 07:20 PM

Me too!!!

I would love to knit some--please count me in!!!

steadyon 09-25-2009 07:28 PM

awsome thread, can I contribute yarn to anyone?

Argie's Wife 09-25-2009 08:32 PM

I wish I had the talent y'all have... Hats off to you for doing this!

Thank you for supporting our troops! :)

weim2 09-26-2009 07:13 AM

Cap Drop Off

We have a knitting group at the Meredith Library on Thursdays from 10:30-12:00. Some in the group are doing these caps also, so maybe a drop-off could be the Meredith Library. And if anyone is free on Thurs., join us, I just started going. Or mail to RLM, PO Box 1672, Meredith, NH. 03253. Thanks

Jeanzb1 09-26-2009 08:12 AM

Knitting Group

There's a group called Knit Witts that meets on Thursday from 6 pm to 8 pm at the Gilford Library. Also, there's another group that meets on Friday from
1 pm to 3 pm at the Gilford Library.

Rattlesnake Guy 09-26-2009 04:06 PM

Great Project.
Love to see a picture of one of you wearing the hat.

weim2 09-27-2009 07:36 AM

PEASE GREETERS-Help the Troops

If you would like to be informed about the troops, try this site. Alot of info; care packages, flights, etc.

upthesaukee 09-27-2009 07:47 AM

I think this is the website

This may be the website that weim2 was referring to:

http://www.peasegreeters.org/

Chickie 09-28-2009 03:34 PM

A Way To Say Thank You

Most of us don’t have family members serving in Iraq or Afghanistan, but we may know of someone who does. It may be a neighbor’s son or daughter, with whom we are not personally acquainted. These young people are making all the sacrifices, while we go about our daily lives as usual. May I suggest sending a care package to a service man or woman who is over there, as a gesture of gratitude for the sacrifices they are making for us. With just a little effort we can make their days brighter and say a thank you at the same time.

Here is a website with suggestions on what they would appreciate receiving:

www.thesoldiersfamily.com

Sunrise Point 09-28-2009 05:06 PM

Count me in!

Weim 2,

I would be happy to knit caps for the troops. Thank you for posting the pattern and drop-off information.

The knitting group sounds like fun...maybe in a few years when I retire!

kaj 09-29-2009 10:39 AM

Christmas Cards for our Troops

On facebook there is a great cause worth supporting. The name of the cause is Operation Christmas Cards for Our Troops. It's mission is to send Holiday cards and words of encouragement and thanks to our soldiers. These men and women deserve the extra support during the holidays while they are away from loved ones. Everyone has extra holiday cards, please take a moment to support those that give us the greatest support of all.
http://apps.facebook.com/causes/3493...er_id=47639009