Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Automotive (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Drive car with remote start? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28051)

SailinAway 06-21-2022 06:13 AM

Drive car with remote start?

My ignition lock, installed one month ago, broke. I can start the car remotely. Is it possible to drive the car once it's started? I'm guessing no, because I think after a remote start you have to insert the key, turn the engine off, and restart it with the key, is that correct? When it's running after a remote start, I can't put it in gear, so I assume the key has to be turned to "run" before you can put it in gear.

Dang. I was all packed and leaving on a trip.

TiltonBB 06-21-2022 06:20 AM

Remote starters that I have had will not let you drive the car without the key, or key fob.

However, you state that you have to shut the car off and restart it with the key after using the remote start. That has not been my experience.

After a remote start, you just turn the key to on, without shutting the car off, or in the case of a push button start you just push the button to activate the electronics in the car.

SailinAway 06-21-2022 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 371991)
After a remote start, you just turn the key to on, without shutting the car off.

Got it. Unfortunately, the key won't turn to on.

TheTimeTraveler 06-21-2022 06:48 AM

The key "may" turn to start if you grab the wheel and try moving it an inch or two to the right or to the left. Sometimes that will allow the key to insert and turn to start the ignition.

This used to be a common problem I had on one particular vehicle ten years ago.

upthesaukee 06-21-2022 07:13 AM

Agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 371993)
The key "may" turn to start if you grab the wheel and try moving it an inch or two to the right or to the left. Sometimes that will allow the key to insert and turn to start the ignition.

I agree. This happens sometimes with my 2010 Corolla. My 2018 Camry doesn't seem to have that problem.

The Camry has remote start. Remote start will start the engine and then locks the doors. After opening the doors, I have to insert the key and turn it to the "on" position. If I step on brake pedal before turning key, the engjne shuts off and then has to be restarted normally.

So Sailing Away, perhaps you have two solutions in these two posts. Hopefully!

Dave

SailinAway 06-21-2022 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 371993)

OH MY GOD, THAT WORKED!!!!! I should have thought of that. It has actually happened to me before. I just automatically assumed the ignition lock was broken again because it broke a month ago.

I can't figure out how this happened, though. The car was parked in a flat spot with the wheels straight ahead, so there shouldn't have been any tension on the wheels or the steering wheel.

In any case, I LOVE YOU, TIME TRAVELER!!!

pondguy 06-21-2022 11:38 AM

Enjoy your trip :)