Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New Eateries Going Into The Weirs Pier (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21884)

Airedale1 04-17-2017 02:59 PM

New Eateries Going Into The Weirs Pier

For those of us who like to dock and dine; this Summer there will be two well know eateries going into the revitalized Pier at The Weirs. Sal's Pizza and The Traveling Texas Smoke BBQ will both be in the new Pier. It will be nice to be able to dock at the Weirs and grab a bite at either of those two places.

I've always liked Sal's Pizza and The Texas BBQ is IMO the best around the lake.

ishoot308 04-17-2017 03:08 PM

Really glad to hear the Traveling Texas Smoke Shop is going in there! Fantastic, authentic, barbecue! A great addition!!

Dan

Doobs41378 04-17-2017 03:59 PM

Looking forward to trying out the BBQ place. We pass it every weekend on 104 but have never stopped in.

Acrossamerica 04-17-2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doobs41378 (Post 277229)
Looking forward to trying out the BBQ place. We pass it every weekend on 104 but have never stopped in.

Wow. I am sure the owners are thrilled to be making this investment so people can now boat by every weekend but never stop in.

But I will say it does sound like an improvement over cotton candy and fried dough. Very upscale.

joey2665 04-17-2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrossamerica (Post 277230)
Wow. I am sure the owners are thrilled to be making this investment so people can now boat by every weekend but never stop in.

But I will say it does sound like an improvement over cotton candy and fried dough. Very upscale.

Why all the sarcasm and negativity? This will be a great addition for the pier and Texas Smoke House. Owners are very nice and excellent Authentic BBQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Acrossamerica 04-17-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 277231)
Why all the sarcasm and negativity? This will be a great addition for the pier and Texas Smoke House. Owners are very nice and excellent Authentic BBQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Where is the negativity? I stated it is an improvement over the fried dough and cotton candy. I just get a kick out of the number of gourmet posters on this site who eat out only on special occasions or lament the lose of a favorite place that they used to go to 10 years ago. You have no idea how amusing it all is.

BroadHopper 04-17-2017 05:19 PM

Speaking of boating by the Weirs.....

If they don't modernize the public docks to make them more accessible, people will boat by the Weirs rather than stopping in.

Hillcountry 04-18-2017 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 277235)
If they don't modernize the public docks to make them more accessible, people will boat by the Weirs rather than stopping in.

Haven't tried to dock at the Weirs docks yet...exactly, what is the issue with them? I have docked at Meredith, Center Harbor, Wolfeboro, Alton, Glendale all with no issues...just wondering about the Weirs docks...

VitaBene 04-18-2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 277255)
Haven't tried to dock at the Weirs docks yet...exactly, what is the issue with them? I have docked at Meredith, Center Harbor, Wolfeboro, Alton, Glendale all with no issues...just wondering about the Weirs docks...

They are spaced too closely together such that you can not get your boat out if you are pulled in close to shore.

VitaBene 04-18-2017 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrossamerica (Post 277234)
Where is the negativity? I stated it is an improvement over the fried dough and cotton candy. I just get a kick out of the number of gourmet posters on this site who eat out only on special occasions or lament the lose of a favorite place that they used to go to 10 years ago. You have no idea how amusing it all is.

You obviously have an odd sense of humor.

thinkxingu 04-18-2017 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 277257)
They are spaced too closely together such that you can not get your boat out if you are pulled in close to shore.

For me, the wave action slams the boats around too much.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

VitaBene 04-18-2017 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Please see the attached regarding the docks. You can see that no one wants to pull forward.

Airedale1 04-18-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 277262)
Please see the attached regarding the docks. You can see that no one wants to pull forward.

What needs to be done to remedy that?

VitaBene 04-18-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airedale1 (Post 277264)

The spacing needs to change so a boat can pull through from the forward spots (like can be done in Wolfeboro).

AC2717 04-18-2017 10:45 AM

also need to allow boats to dock on the backside, only reason I see they don't allow this is maybe because the pathway is too close to the swimline to the beach, but I think that is crazy, ie example of Center Harbor its fine

jr616 04-18-2017 10:54 AM

Tyvm

Thanks for letting us know! :-)

(See some post can just be about thanking the poster. Not slamming the docking and the businesses. )

Woodsy 04-18-2017 11:01 AM

AC....

You can dock on the backside anytime except bike week.... its just very shallow so only small boats/jetskis can fit back there. I used to dock my 22 Classic Donzi there, but would have trim way up and "pulse" it in.

Woodsy

webmaster 04-18-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airedale1 (Post 277225)
For those of us who like to dock and dine; this Summer there will be two well know eateries going into the revitalized Pier at The Weirs. Sal's Pizza and The Traveling Texas Smoke BBQ will both be in the new Pier. It will be nice to be able to dock at the Weirs and grab a bite at either of those two places.

I've always liked Sal's Pizza and The Texas BBQ is IMO the best around the lake.

From what I've read the new "restaurants" may just be take out windows along their boardwalk, not full restaurants. I could be wrong. Kevin's Cafe tried it back in 2010 but were gone the next year.

AC2717 04-18-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 277271)
AC....

You can dock on the backside anytime except bike week.... its just very shallow so only small boats/jetskis can fit back there. I used to dock my 22 Classic Donzi there, but would have trim way up and "pulse" it in.

Woodsy

thank you good to know, I have seen it roped off during those weeks so thought it was more of a reminder to those that just show up for bike week

BroadHopper 04-18-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 277265)
The spacing needs to change so a boat can pull through from the forward spots (like can be done in Wolfeboro).

I was told by Laconia Public Works, that the state due to shoreland laws makes it prohibitive to make changes to the docks. If they want to make changes the new layout will significantly reduce the number of boats that can dock in order to fit the present guidelines. One reason why many 'grandfathered' their docks.

Airedale1 04-18-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 277272)
From what I've read the new "restaurants" may just be take out windows along their boardwalk, not full restaurants. I could be wrong. Kevin's Cafe tried it back in 2010 but were gone the next year.

You are correct. That being said, in addition to rebuilding the Pier they are also adding seating (picnic tables) outside of those establishments.

Redbarn 04-18-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 277278)
I was told by Laconia Public Works, that the state due to shoreland laws makes it prohibitive to make changes to the docks. If they want to make changes the new layout will significantly reduce the number of boats that can dock in order to fit the present guidelines. One reason why many 'grandfathered' their docks.

I would be curious to here shorethings take on this. It has always been my understanding that, non conforming structures, like wiers docks can be reconfigured as long as the # of slips stays the same and the total sf of impact is at least one square foot smaller. So the wiers docks could actually be redone better, rather easy since they actually have more than enough sf for the number of legal docks they have.

Descant 04-18-2017 01:49 PM

Grandfather

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 277278)

I've had many dealings with DES over the years and I think they get blamed for somebody's inaction or delay when no blame is due. Dock permits themselves are pretty cheap. It does take a knowledgeable person to do design, and then get through the local Conservation Commission. That's where the expense is for you and me. Shouldn't be a big cost for the City Council to talk to their own CC.

"Grandfathering" is not an active step. It automatically occurs because you are already there when the law changes.
DES would likely have no problem removing a few docks, creating more more "usable" space.

I don't know the exact measurements at the Weirs, but I think the actual space is available, unless two cruisers, for example, dock side by side.
One easy solution (seems easy to me) is to have a dockmaster who will direct small boats (<8.5' beam) to move forward and not block them with large beam boats. If Glendale/Gilford can put a full time officer on duty, seven days a week, surely Laconia can do it on weekends. Maybe take a few thousand out of the $2MM and run a pilot program for two seasons?

For some reason, people think they have to drive their boat in and out of narrow spaces instead of walking it. A dock master could direct people to walk boats in and out, or assign sequence numbers if boats are waiting. Just need a sign telling people which VHF channel to coordinate on.

Best idea? Laconia could outsource Weirs management to the Forum. There's no shortage of free advice here.

TheTimeTraveler 04-18-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airedale1 (Post 277264)

Easy solution. Weirs docks need to hire a two valets to park all the boats. That way all the boat spaces can be easily utilized.

Not sure this has been done anywhere in the world, but it would be a first!

Greene's Basin Girl 04-19-2017 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 277235)

I couldn't agree more!!!

Orion 04-19-2017 08:13 AM

fix it right

The best solution would be to move the long pier that is parallel to the shoreline further out, maybe 25' or so, make the outer docks single boat depth and closer together (making single-boat slips to allow tie-off on both sides of the boat due to rough water), and add similar fingers on the shoreline side. Done.

dykg 04-20-2017 07:51 PM

Moving the docks out may create issues with the Mount docking

Major 04-21-2017 09:04 AM

Weirs Docks

How about narrowing the fingers to create more space between them?

Dblblkdiam 04-21-2017 10:07 AM

One solution to always finding a spot at any dock is to drive a small boat like I do. I can always find a spot with minimal wait times.

If the businesses or town can support it, I do like the suggestion of the dock valets for busy weekends. The Naswa is able to maximize their docking space with their dock valets.

gillygirl 04-21-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrossamerica (Post 277234)

Your trolling motor runs 24/7.

Orion 04-22-2017 09:19 AM

shorter docks

Quote:

Originally Posted by dykg (Post 277411)
Moving the docks out may create issues with the Mount docking

Not really because the outer docks would be shorter, resulting in their ends being about the same place on the outer perimeter.

MikeF-NH 04-23-2017 05:47 AM

Glad to hear the BBQ place on 104 is moving to Weirs. For the past few early season runs for salmon to the lake...I pass by him at 4AM is his smoker is running. Gotta appreciate the dedication to the art of smoking/BBQ. Since I come back through on my way out before lunch...it took me over a year to try him and when I did it was fantastic! Nice people, dedicated business owner...he deserves success and all of our patronage. Try the burnt ends before he runs out or the rib ends....mmmmmmmmmmmm.

My only recommendation to him...get some collared greens on the menu!

moose tracks 04-23-2017 07:32 AM

Traveling Texas BBQ

A few weekends a year he will barbecue a whole pig. The meat turns out so tender you can cut it using plastic utensils. His smoked chicken is also great. I hope he does well at this new location which will have higher overhead costs.

upthesaukee 04-23-2017 07:39 AM

Hey MikeF... I tried collared greens once, but I hated having to pick out the collar stays, and I had one of those little buttons get caught in my throat. Now, some collard greens... 😉😨😁

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Doobs41378 04-23-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeF-NH (Post 277489)
Glad to hear the BBQ place on 104 is moving to Weirs. For the past few early season runs for salmon to the lake...I pass by him at 4AM is his smoker is running. Gotta appreciate the dedication to the art of smoking/BBQ. Since I come back through on my way out before lunch...it took me over a year to try him and when I did it was fantastic! Nice people, dedicated business owner...he deserves success and all of our patronage. Try the burnt ends before he runs out or the rib ends....mmmmmmmmmmmm.

My only recommendation to him...get some collared greens on the menu!

I drove by them on 104 this am and it looks like their tent is down. Not sure if this is just because winter is over or what.

LakeWinniMom 04-24-2017 09:03 AM

We stopped in at Traveling Texas BBQ yesterday around noon. Business was going strong, and as always it was delicious. I was also happy to learn that they will be keeping the 104 location when the new Weirs location opens in late May.

Bigstan 04-24-2017 11:38 AM

Where exactly

So where on the pier are they going?

On the walkway or in a new spot inside the building?

Is Anthonys staying put, or will these new places take that spot? I would trade Anthonys for a good bbq place any day.

If on the walkway to the pier those spots don't seem large enough, I don't know where you could fit a decent sized smoker or a pizza oven large enough to churn out the amount of pizzas that a standard Sals would need to have on hand in the form of slices....