Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mount in Dry Dock (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27075)

fltsimguy 06-04-2021 12:24 PM

Mount in Dry Dock

Anyone have any pictures or videos?

webmaster 06-04-2021 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fltsimguy (Post 356571)
Anyone have any pictures or videos?

This isn't current but the pictures show what the Mount looks like in drydock:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/index.php?pageid=drydock

tummyman 06-04-2021 04:37 PM

According to the Mount yard workers, it was moved onto drydock starting at 6am Wednesday morning.

Wentworth06 06-05-2021 06:31 PM

What’s up with mount

Any news why it’s out of commission ,seems like if it’s normal maintenance it would be done in the fall or earlier this spring.

trfour 06-05-2021 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wentworth06 (Post 356665)
Any news why it’s out of commission ,seems like if it’s normal maintenance it would be done in the fall or earlier this spring.

I think the Pandemic got in the way of progress for all.

TiltonBB 06-05-2021 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfour (Post 356667)
I think the Pandemic got in the way of progress for all.

Deferred maintenance that it has needed for quite a while.

Senter Cove Guy 06-06-2021 08:58 PM

Mount Washington In Drydock

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture taken June 4, 2021.
Is the smaller boat the Doris E?
I thought I read somewhere that the Mount needed new propellers.

XCR-700 06-07-2021 06:28 AM

Anyone know how long it will be out of commission?

I looked on their website and there is no mention of it being out of service and at the same time no posted schedule for events.

Based on their information it looks like they will miss the whole summer. I hope not,,,

webmaster 06-07-2021 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy (Post 356715)
Is the smaller boat the Doris E?

You can always tell Doris from Sophie by the stern:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo.../IMG_03301.JPG

joey2665 06-07-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR-700 (Post 356723)
Anyone know how long it will be out of commission?

I looked on their website and there is no mention of it being out of service and at the same time no posted schedule for events.

Based on their information it looks like they will miss the whole summer. I hope not,,,

There was a post some here in the past few weeks that indicated that the mount would be back in July.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

LIforrelaxin 06-09-2021 08:15 PM

Here is the thing Boats like are owned by the Winnipesaukee flagship Corporation, need expensive routine maintenance, to ensure they are passenger ready and meet all governing regulations to operate.

Because Winnipesaukee, is not controlled and Patrolled by the U.S. Coast Guard, there are likely some things they can get away with, that normal commercial vessels under the jurisdiction of the US Coast Guard can not. (note this is an assumption on my part).....Because they are instead monitored by the State of New Hampshire.

The commercial Passenger boats on Lake Champlain when I lived there, had to be dry docked I believe every 5 years, and under go complete coast guard safety inspections.... There where no if and or buts in the equation.... The boat yards that could handle the work, where always busy in the fall and Spring to get the work accomplished when needed. Also why the Ferry Company owns more Ferries then are ever in operation at once... They have the ability to maintain normal operations for three crossings, and have one small and one large ferry in Dry dock. Normal operations require 2 Ferries between Burlington and Port Kent, 2 Ferries at Grand Isle to Platsburgh, and 2 ferries at the southern crossing. The last I knew, they had 3 large ferries and I believe six smaller ferries

Now back to Winnipesaukee, and the Flagship Corporation... A couple of years ago the Sophie C. Had and an issue, which involved length repairs, and undoubtedly high costs.... She is back in good shape... But during that time, there was likely some differed maintenance on the other vessels. Not because of money, but because of man power and ability to Dry dock other vessels while Sophie made the Dry Dock her home....

They likely had plans in place, so that what we see now The Mount in Dry Dock, and the Doris E. on blocks, with a 4th boat being made ready, wasn't going to happen. However our Friend Covid 19 hit, and really has thrown a monkey wrench into many things.....

The 4th boat is like more about having re-enforcements to allow better care to be taken with the smaller boats..... and some ability to off load some of the Mounts responsibilities when needed.

I don't think anything Major is wrong with the Mount, Props some bottom paint, and likely a normal inspection, and I would hope she will be wet again before the end of the month..... The new boat is a priority right now, so that they can get her on the water, likewise I am sure the goal is by the end of this month.....

The real question I have is what is wrong with The Doris E. Obviously she was moved to blocks so that M/V Mount Washington could be brought into the Dry dock.... But that alone was a big endeavor, and costly.... I am guessing like the Sophie C. it is time for a major structural inspection and repair cycle, but Don't know especially with the new boat, now on the water.

I don't envy the spot the Winnipesaukee flagship Corporation is in right now, I am sure there are lots of sleepless nights hoping to get boats floating and ready for tourist season.....And in the end I think they have just been victims of circumstances and bad timing....

Now if someone knows or finds out when they plan to re-float M/V Mount Washington I would love to know, I would love to see the process.....

Wentworth06 06-10-2021 06:12 AM

Mount

Thank you for all the posts on this. Seems like Covid has effected everything

Meredith AK 06-12-2021 06:08 PM

Winnipesaukee Spirit innaugural voyage

1 Attachment(s)
Bottle of champagne broken on the bow in Meredith this morning

magicrobotmonkey 06-14-2021 07:55 AM

Hit up center harbor docks for brunch at Gusto's yesterday morning. Word on the mount is hull paint, which is delayed due to supply chain issues, new props, which are en route, and perhaps a couple of soft spots on the hull were found which will be dealt with while waiting for the paint.

Pretty cool to see the dry dock situation there, my kids (and I) were very impressed by the giant cradle on rails and the monster chain used to move the whole thing in and out of the water!

Janet 07-15-2021 01:42 PM

Just saw on "I Boat on Lake Winnipesaukee" website the Mount is out of dry dock and back in the water in Center Harbor. I hope we see her cruising the lake again really soon.

XCR-700 07-15-2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 358650)
Just saw on "I Boat on Lake Winnipesaukee" website the Mount is out of dry dock and back in the water in Center Harbor. I hope we see her cruising the lake again really soon.

GREAT news, I have been unable to recommend it to visitors so far this summer and disappointing it was not running for them to enjoy.

Hope to see it on the water soon!!!

Y2K 07-20-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR-700 (Post 358652)
GREAT news, I have been unable to recommend it to visitors so far this summer and disappointing it was not running for them to enjoy.

Hope to see it on the water soon!!!

Yeah, really missed it during our vacation last week. The spirit had a dinner cruise, but I really wanted to do the family cruise on the Mount again as the kids had a ball while the parents relaxed.

RUGMAN 07-20-2021 05:57 PM

My neighbor was in center Harbor yesterday and saw the Mount in the water, maybe we will see it soon.

Resident 2B 07-20-2021 07:45 PM

Looking at their web site, the Mount will be sailing starting this coming Saturday, July 24 with a narrated scenic cruise at 12:30 an evening dinner cruise! Great news!

Janet 07-20-2021 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resident 2B (Post 359072)
Looking at their web site, the Mount will be sailing starting this coming Saturday, July 24 with a narrated scenic cruise at 12:30 an evening dinner cruise! Great news!

Great news!!!!!!

Woody38 07-23-2021 12:28 AM

Watched the Mount coming into the Weirs yesterday. Fantastic sight. My boy (the Poodle) was excited watching it go by.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

XCR-700 07-23-2021 09:46 PM

Yes saw it there this afternoon!

Great to see it back.

garysanfran 07-24-2021 09:25 AM

The Mount just passed between Eagle and Governor's Island. History has returned...I feel normal again!

snowflake 08-02-2021 08:24 AM

Is the Mount Washington not going back to its regular schedule this summer? I saw a post that it leaves Wolfeboro at 11:15 on Saturdays only. I was surprised.

XCR-700 08-02-2021 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowflake (Post 359838)
Is the Mount Washington not going back to its regular schedule this summer? I saw a post that it leaves Wolfeboro at 11:15 on Saturdays only. I was surprised.

They may have a problem getting staff, seem to be an issue all over. Guess only a few of us are still working,,,

dippasan 08-02-2021 02:38 PM

No sightings yet

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowflake (Post 359838)

We have yet to see it go between Sleepers Isl and Smalls Cove on a Sunday at 10:45am which it has always done in the past.

Descant 08-03-2021 10:01 AM

Is this right?

If I'm reading this correctly, the Mount sails once daily at 12:30 on W, Th F and twice on Sat 10 an 12:30. No trips on Sun Mon, Tues? We have not seen her go by our place this year, but we've been there less often his year. Used to be, we could hear her before we saw her. Miss that sound.
https://cruisenh.com/pages/scenic-tours

Bear Guy 08-03-2021 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 359944)
If I'm reading this correctly, the Mount sails once daily at 12:30 on W, Th F and twice on Sat 10 an 12:30. No trips on Sun Mon, Tues?

There are additional cruises on the Mount Washington for August 2021; these are listed on the "Brunch" (Sunday) and "Dinner" (W, F, Sat) Cruises pages. Agreed, I see no cruises on Mon and Tues.

Cocktail cruises (daily) are on the Spirit.