Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Composite decking (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28039)

Neko 06-14-2022 01:51 PM

Composite decking

What is the best way to clean composite decking ?
Will a pressure washer damage the decking?

ishoot308 06-14-2022 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neko (Post 371774)
What is the best way to clean composite decking ?
Will a pressure washer damage the decking?

If your decking has any wood fiber in it at all, I would not recommend pressure washing it. A scrub brush, soap and hose nozzle would be your safest bet.

If your decking is a solid PVC or some type of solid plastic, you can use a pressure washer with 1500 PSI or less for quick cleaning.

Dan

John Mercier 06-14-2022 02:52 PM

Hose only.

Soft bristle brush like you would use on your vehicle for areas that might need a bit more scrubbing action. You can use the same detergent that you would use on your vehicle if necessary... but rinse thoroughly.

Pressure washers create micro-abrasions on the various surfaces that will create more issues in the future. Unlike a wood deck, you will not be resurfacing with a stain/sealer.

Neko 06-14-2022 04:47 PM

I was thinking of using Mold Armor deck, fence, patio wash with a brush.
Would this be OK?

John Mercier 06-14-2022 05:58 PM

The directions on the Mold Armor will tell you to try it in an inconspicuous place.

But it shouldn't be needed. Mold cannot eat the PVC decks or on the Composite decks that have a ''cap''. On an older style of the uncapped composite, it would be the way to go.

The purpose of the cap on the modern composite decks is to lower the maintenance costs and effort.

You basically need to wash the deck about twice a year... once to remove pollen, and once to remove fall residue (leaves, etc). That ''dirt'' trapped in the ''grain'' of a composite cap is what the mold/moss will try to eat.

While washing them down, the manufacturers suggest to be on the lookout for anything that may signal a future problem.

Neko 06-14-2022 06:31 PM

Thank you both for your advise.

SAB1 06-14-2022 08:34 PM

Typically I use Dawn in a pail of water. Tough stains a spray or two of Spray Nine does wonders. I good brush like mentioned above.

AC2717 06-15-2022 08:43 AM

i used a 2700psi pressure washer with one of the circular power sprayer set ups you put on the end of the wand and move it around like a floor sander/buffer
works great and is real fast. I have the original composite decking made mostly out of wood fibers as well

this is the type of attachment i was talking about, there are many different makers out there
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...ntent=In-store

John Mercier 06-15-2022 09:39 AM

Dawn will work because it rinses easily and has very little residue.

Power washing the uncapped with micro-abrasion the material and make the reapplication of the latex stain work. This is the stain designed for uncapped composite decking.

DickR 06-15-2022 10:17 AM

This morning my grandson is washing down our deck, without use of anything but a hose and a wide soft-bristle push broom. That quickly loosens the accumulated tree debris and pine pollen.

Neko 06-17-2022 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mercier (Post 371798)
Dawn will work because it rinses easily and has very little residue.

Power washing the uncapped with micro-abrasion the material and make the reapplication of the latex stain work. This is the stain designed for uncapped composite decking.

John, Dawn worked great Thanks

John Mercier 06-17-2022 06:03 PM

SAB1 mentioned the dish soap first.

I used to just sell people Simple Green, but I had an incident where the deck owner did not thoroughly rinse. The rail developed a green tinge were the product had dripped and the water evaporated. I was able to restore the white railings, but realized that best to use a low residue product.